Earth Defense Force Series - B-Movies Never Played So Good

Antique Rice

kiwifarms.net
If you all like Earth Defense Force for it's B-movie stuff, you all might want to check out "The Deadly Tower of Monsters" too.
I haven't played The Deadly Tower of Monsters, but I respect the hell out of it already for how they just nailed that B-movie jank. It was part of what I loved about Kung Fu Chaos as well.

ProfDongs

kiwifarms.net
I've been playing through 4.1 some more because I can't justify a purchase on 5 quite yet. I've only played Fencer but nothing feels better than dual wielding Miniguns in the cave levels, or doubling up on heavy artillery and demolishing the drop ships. I know the meat of the game is probably multiplayer but i've only ever touched the singleplayer and its great to actually have a game that actually wants to be a game.

Chin of Campbell

Bear Ass
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After a few days with the game, I gotta ay I love it. It's an upgrade over 4.1 in pretty much every way (EXCEPT lacking EDF Deploys). I've only played Wing Diver as of now.
  • Wing Diver feels like an actual glass cannon with extreme mobility. Boosting makes flying MUCH less dangerous and charging strong weapons lets you safely fire them while flying. There is something immensely satisfying about the noise charging makes and then the BOOM the follows.
  • Huge variety of enemies. The new humanoid soldiers that act as replacements for the Hectors are incredibly fun to fight, with their destructable limbs and tactics. They have a lot more character than the usual EDF enemies and there's a psychotic thrill in blowing them to pieces and watching them crawl helplessly on the ground.
  • Weapon upgrades are a godsend. When you pick up a new weapon, it may not be as powerful as you'd like, but picking up copies gives you chances for better parts that increase stats. Ultimately, this means more useful weapons that stay useful longer.
  • Levels are much more varied, with different weather conditions and a European city level.
  • Music stands out more than usual. The Online Lobby fucking bops, and the alien theme with the chanting is really good.
  • The chat filter is fucking cancer and should fucking hang in the hot sun for a week while the crows pick at its eyes.

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The summer one looks interesting. Can you explain the gameplay to me?

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I haven't played The Deadly Tower of Monsters, but I respect the hell out of it already for how they just nailed that B-movie jank. It was part of what I loved about Kung Fu Chaos as well.
They nailed the B-movie feel, but missed the bus by miles on gameplay. It’s poorly balanced, has shitty frame rate and poor hit detection, and minor enemies are damage sponges. Bosses are gimmicky crap, and the joke is stale before you finish the second level.

• Informative
Reactions: Judge Dredd

JongleJingle

kiwifarms.net
Resurrection of the century here, but EDF 6 and Not-Roblox EDF have been announced today:

EDF 6 is set several years after EDF 5, so we get to hear Command and Research argue again, and also schut Fro-I mean, humans again. It's also very brown and blown out; make of that as you will.

EDF World Brothers (The fuck kinda name is that?) is a spinoff that is basically the Super Robot Wars of the series; every single EDF game's factions are dumped into a world of blocky doom and fight it out. You find characterized soldiers lying around and have them join your little jihad against the bug hordes.

EDF:WB is coming this year on switch(lol) and PS4, and EDF comes in 2021 on PS4 for now. Thoughts on this nifty little announcement?

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Resurrection of the century here, but EDF 6 and Not-Roblox EDF have been announced today:

EDF 6 is set several years after EDF 5, so we get to hear Command and Research argue again, and also schut Fro-I mean, humans again. It's also very brown and blown out; make of that as you will.

EDF World Brothers (The fuck kinda name is that?) is a spinoff that is basically the Super Robot Wars of the series; every single EDF game's factions are dumped into a world of blocky doom and fight it out. You find characterized soldiers lying around and have them join your little jihad against the bug hordes.

EDF:WB is coming this year on switch(lol) and PS4, and EDF comes in 2021 on PS4 for now. Thoughts on this nifty little announcement?
Nice. I'm hoping they come to PC sooner rather than later - if 4.1 and 5 are any indication, the main series are good, fun, absolutely stupid games that we need more of in general.

Reactions: Drakonnan

JongleJingle

kiwifarms.net
Nice. I'm hoping they come to PC sooner rather than later - if 4.1 and 5 are any indication, the main series are good, fun, absolutely stupid games that we need more of in general.
You have no clue how much we need more goofy ass games like this nowadays. I'm getting tired of continuous Last of Us 2's and Life is Strange's, games that take themselves so seriously but are honestly fucking ridiculous when you look hard enough at what makes up their stories and gameplay. EDF on the other hand recognizes this, embraces it in a bear hug, and gives a big, sloppy kiss on the cheek to top it all off. For example, in EDF 5 theres a sub-plot for a couple missions where pollution might actually kill the invading aliens faster than the EDF is killing them, and the hilarious thing is that they found this out from just fighting the aliens in BEIJING. Next thing you know, the sub plot is dropped without even a moments notice.

EDF is so lighthearted and goofy, even it's guns get into the action. Weapon platforms are dropped and revitalized so fast in the games lore , like the series of assault rifles whose bullets bounce all over the place, but at a REALLY slow pace and with no damage at all. You have grenades that hit like nukes, inflatable maid dolls that actually distract every single enemy including kaiju and mechs, and literal piss stream acting laser weapons that peter out near it's batteries end.

It's the closest we'll ever get right now to a Getter Robo game in ages; it's a better mech game than Mechwarrior 5 and all that other shit coming out of the genre, and it's not even the focus of the damn game!

So yeah, in conclusion we need more balls to the wall wacky and fun games like this, who don't give a damn about no serious plotlines or sensable weapons. Just give me my oversized chaingun and rocket powered bike and I'm set, nigga.

Where Last of Us 2 and Goodbye Volcano High present themselves as games but play like movies, EDF presents itself as a game and actually PLAYS like a fucking game.

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love EDF, EDF 5 was my interdiction and IMO the best one of the ones I have played (5,4.1,Iron Rain)
Iron Rain I was disapointed by the lack of distruction of buildings among other things that people also criticized the game for. I though some of the ideas were neat (able to customize your class more then just weapons) but over all it was disappointing. 4.1 just lacked of the quality of life features 5 had for me.

I hope EDF6 ends up on PC, its rare to see such a goofy fun game. I loved how some of the weapons were just surprising "WHAT THE FUCK" in overpowerness.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
You have no clue how much we need more goofy ass games like this nowadays. I'm getting tired of continuous Last of Us 2's and Life is Strange's, games that take themselves so seriously but are honestly fucking ridiculous when you look hard enough at what makes up their stories and gameplay. EDF on the other hand recognizes this, embraces it in a bear hug, and gives a big, sloppy kiss on the cheek to top it all off. For example, in EDF 5 theres a sub-plot for a couple missions where pollution might actually kill the invading aliens faster than the EDF is killing them, and the hilarious thing is that they found this out from just fighting the aliens in BEIJING. Next thing you know, the sub plot is dropped without even a moments notice.

EDF is so lighthearted and goofy, even it's guns get into the action. Weapon platforms are dropped and revitalized so fast in the games lore , like the series of assault rifles whose bullets bounce all over the place, but at a REALLY slow pace and with no damage at all. You have grenades that hit like nukes, inflatable maid dolls that actually distract every single enemy including kaiju and mechs, and literal piss stream acting laser weapons that peter out near it's batteries end.

It's the closest we'll ever get right now to a Getter Robo game in ages; it's a better mech game than Mechwarrior 5 and all that other shit coming out of the genre, and it's not even the focus of the damn game!

So yeah, in conclusion we need more balls to the wall wacky and fun games like this, who don't give a damn about no serious plotlines or sensable weapons. Just give me my oversized chaingun and rocket powered bike and I'm set, nigga.

Where Last of Us 2 and Goodbye Volcano High present themselves as games but play like movies, EDF presents itself as a game and actually PLAYS like a fucking game.
It's also a "humanity fuck yeah" game where mankind face overwhelming odds but will always stand up even on the darkest day no matter what.

How are these games for single player? They look geared towards co-op, but I really don;t bother with online stuff.
They're pretty fine to play solo but online multiplayer (or couch 2p co-op) is where the game absolutely shines. Air Raider is a class aimed towards support even if EDF5 buffed him up to make playable in an agressive solo play, and online has a bunch of exclusive levels that require good teamwork.

JongleJingle

kiwifarms.net
It's also a "humanity fuck yeah" game where mankind face overwhelming odds but will always stand up even on the darkest day no matter what.

View attachment 1402406
Oh yeah, make no mistake, EDF is THE ultimate HFY game in existence. EDF Earth has fought so many fucking horrible and world ending things that would put 40k to shame that the devs had to do continuity reboots every two games as to make sure the EDF don't go into space and outright invade the invaders.

And of course, who can forget the walking super weapon in human flesh the EDF always has, that one man (or woman) that always comes at the right time and right place, and utterly DISMANTLES every single army he (or she) comes across?

STORM 1, BABY.

I am of the firm belief that if any sort of invading force came for EDF Earth, be it the Covenant from Halo or Chaos Undivided from 40k, Storm 1 and the EDF would always fend them off. These fuckers have fought such horrors like the Earth Eaters and LITERAL GODS and won EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

So with EDF 6, I am curious. Just what can the Primers field out this time, since 6 is a direct continuation of 5? I have heard rumors the Ravagers might be making a comeback, which honestly sounds pretty spooky now that I think of it. I also heard the Colonists (The giant frogs you fight in 5) might also become allies later; Honestly I hope we do, they were so fun to fight in 5 and to fight WITH a former enemy for the first time in EDF history would be so cool to see.

Drakonnan

I'm working on it.
kiwifarms.net
I am sure it will come to PC like the EDF 5. I need to play EDF at a constant 60fps.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Oh yeah, make no mistake, EDF is THE ultimate HFY game in existence. EDF Earth has fought so many fucking horrible and world ending things that would put 40k to shame that the devs had to do continuity reboots every two games as to make sure the EDF don't go into space and outright invade the invaders.

And of course, who can forget the walking super weapon in human flesh the EDF always has, that one man (or woman) that always comes at the right time and right place, and utterly DISMANTLES every single army he (or she) comes across?

STORM 1, BABY.

I am of the firm belief that if any sort of invading force came for EDF Earth, be it the Covenant from Halo or Chaos Undivided from 40k, Storm 1 and the EDF would always fend them off. These fuckers have fought such horrors like the Earth Eaters and LITERAL GODS and won EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

So with EDF 6, I am curious. Just what can the Primers field out this time, since 6 is a direct continuation of 5? I have heard rumors the Ravagers might be making a comeback, which honestly sounds pretty spooky now that I think of it. I also heard the Colonists (The giant frogs you fight in 5) might also become allies later; Honestly I hope we do, they were so fun to fight in 5 and to fight WITH a former enemy for the first time in EDF history would be so cool to see.
I'm a simple man. Give me more Balam (and Fencer too, I guess) and I'll be a happy camper.

Honestly, that mission from 4.1 was the tipping point where my buddy and I - who is a huge Godzilla nerd - decided the series was that wonderful, amazing kind of insanely stupid.

Tags
None