Encyclopedia Dramatica - Capitulation: The Thread

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

A Humble Ewok

...and a future for Ewok children.
kiwifarms.net
We do have a Lolcow Wiki, but it's small and extremely inactive. Most of the articles that do exist are either out of date or they're preserved from the old Deagle Nation Wiki that directly preceded it.

I'm curious what all it would take for someone to get on the Lolcow Wiki's staff and expand upon it.

Personally, I'd be in favor of expanding the Lolcow Wiki into a more general "Kiwi Farms Wiki" that not only includes more stuff on the lolcows, but also articles about the different boards and forum culture, notable Kiwi Farms users both past and present, as well as certain events in the site's history such as the events of the Weeb Wars or the New Zealand controversies.

It could be a good learning resource for those who want to join Kiwi Farms but aren't too familiar with the forum's overall culture and attitudes.
Not only that, but it saves time having to dig though megathreads on some personalities, which are usually filled with shitposts and people trying to get their good burns in I'm just as guilty. ED used to fill that roll, but articles became about being as "lulzy" as possible, which amounts to being as edgy and shoehorning in as many decade old memes as possible. Contrary to popular belief, ED was mostly dry and straight forward, and would at most throw in a "...and x person doesn't like mudkipz" at the end of an article. I can even remember a time when the front page said "We have too many articles about 4chan, please stop making new articles!" This was back during Bush's second term and 4chan's main rival was YTMND. Over time it has become a parody of itself, with most articles going something like "X is a dumb, fat, pedophile who has jacked off to lolis over 9000 times since last Tuesday." That's not to say ED needs to die off, it should at least remain as a relic of a better time, but its existence is no substitute for something like the lolcow wiki, which is is straighforward summation of threads and drama, without littering it with tryhard edgy takes (that's what the threads are for).

Great Dane

I'm here for a good time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It would be a good idea to have a lolcow's information centralized in one wiki page rather than scavenging through many posts to find a piece of information not included in the OP. I'd love to help contribute in some way if it happens. Maybe those who are interested could create a group conversation.

Speaking as someone with very little to no hosting experience, how hard would it be to run a spinoff for a lolcow wiki? Are there any free speech hosts that don't charge too much money? Would designing in the Wiki format be hard? Is there a chance money could be made through selling ad space? What are the odds of someone taking the wiki down?

W

WW 635

kiwifarms.net
It would be a good idea to have a lolcow's information centralized in one wiki page rather than scavenging through many posts to find a piece of information not included in the OP. I'd love to help contribute in some way if it happens. Maybe those who are interested could create a group conversation.

Speaking as someone with very little to no hosting experience, how hard would it be to run a spinoff for a lolcow wiki? Are there any free speech hosts that don't charge too much money? Would designing in the Wiki format be hard? Is there a chance money could be made through selling ad space? What are the odds of someone taking the wiki down?
We had a wiki but users didn't contribute so much to it. ED has a much larger wiki but their forum is dead. Both have had to hop from host to host to prevent from being taken down. Both KF and ED have been subject to lolsuits, DDoS, and crazy narcissistic psychopaths trying to destroy the admin or owners lives. Both have had major financial struggles trying to stay afloat.

Before you run off to start your own spin-off or splinter group, those are things you might want to consider

Pointless Pedant

Waiting in queue for 2b2t
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not only that, but it saves time having to dig though megathreads on some personalities, which are usually filled with shitposts and people trying to get their good burns in I'm just as guilty. ED used to fill that roll, but articles became about being as "lulzy" as possible, which amounts to being as edgy and shoehorning in as many decade old memes as possible. Contrary to popular belief, ED was mostly dry and straight forward, and would at most throw in a "...and x person doesn't like mudkipz" at the end of an article. I can even remember a time when the front page said "We have too many articles about 4chan, please stop making new articles!" This was back during Bush's second term and 4chan's main rival was YTMND. Over time it has become a parody of itself, with most articles going something like "X is a dumb, fat, pedophile who has jacked off to lolis over 9000 times since last Tuesday." That's not to say ED needs to die off, it should at least remain as a relic of a better time, but its existence is no substitute for something like the lolcow wiki, which is is straighforward summation of threads and drama, without littering it with tryhard edgy takes (that's what the threads are for).
I can't really speak for what ED was like back in the 2000s, but these days it's mostly incredibly lame edgy "humour" and old memes. I don't have a problem with having a humourous take like the CWCki; it's not like lolcows deserve to be taken seriously. But there's a difference between that and article after article of "this loser is a pathetic faggot with a small dick, and that's all shit no one cares about." Personally I'd go for something similar to the CWCki with a certain level of humour but fewer lame 4chan memes, but that might be a difficult tone to achieve.

OtterWhiskersED

kiwifarms.net
Also, the fact that it was associated with 2000's era /b/ for so long is one of the reason's it's always being targeted by internet busybodies and keeps experiencing shutdowns.
You are not in possession of any evidence to be in the know about when and whether ED is being/was taken down. This argument is based solely on your imagination.

the whole site went down due to cloadflaire pulling the plug. also one of the backup servers got "raided" (somehow) and they need to back that up too. also some guy tried to have a psyop against the admins but failed massively.
Fake news.

Over time it has become a parody of itself, with most articles going something like "X is a dumb, fat, pedophile who has jacked off to lolis over 9000 times since last Tuesday."
Such articles are made by losers who use ED to exact revenge on someone with whom they got in petty internet fights. They do not represent the attitude of ED and are prone to be deleted for being shitty attack articles.

how long does it take to restore such a massive (considering ED's age alone) site?
A lot of time, which is also influenced by how much free time we have to invest in ED. In addition, installing assets is very time-consuming in itself.

who dare wins?

doee Geneva convention apply to weebs an furfags?
kiwifarms.net
You are not in possession of any evidence to be in the know about when and whether ED is being/was taken down. This argument is based solely on your imagination.

Fake news.

Such articles are made by losers who use ED to exact revenge on someone with whom they got in petty internet fights. They do not represent the attitude of ED and are prone to be deleted for being shitty attack articles.

A lot of time, which is also influenced by how much free time we have to invest in ED. In addition, installing assets is very time-consuming in itself.
tought it was real based of ED twitter account.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li

Let The Good Times Roll
kiwifarms.net
I never claimed to be in the know, I was just assuming that the ED outage was related to 8chan getting taken down since it happened close to 8chan's demise. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Pickle Dick

"I want my feet licked"
kiwifarms.net
The mobile site is back up, can't access the desktop version at the moment but oh well.

I've got to say though, so many things have happened in the month and a half ED's been down, I think its going to be painful for them to catch up on everything.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
I can't really speak for what ED was like back in the 2000s, but these days it's mostly incredibly lame edgy "humour" and old memes. I don't have a problem with having a humourous take like the CWCki; it's not like lolcows deserve to be taken seriously. But there's a difference between that and article after article of "this loser is a pathetic faggot with a small dick, and that's all shit no one cares about." Personally I'd go for something similar to the CWCki with a certain level of humour but fewer lame 4chan memes, but that might be a difficult tone to achieve.
Nah, it was like this in the 2000's as well. It just had much, much, much funnier people on it making the pages a lot funnier and a lot more factual. The jokes always took priority over the facts, however stuff Like "Mr Lolcow Man is a faggot nigger fag who fags up his fellow niggers while being the most niggerdly of faggots' type pages that you see today would get pulled much quicker, and likely get you a ban.

If you were funny, you were given a lot of free reign to work with, but blatant, unfunny attack pages were disposed of very quickly.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Nah, it was like this in the 2000's as well. It just had much, much, much funnier people on it making the pages a lot funnier and a lot more factual. The jokes always took priority over the facts, however stuff Like "Mr Lolcow Man is a faggot nigger fag who fags up his fellow niggers while being the most niggerdly of faggots' type pages that you see today would get pulled much quicker, and likely get you a ban.

If you were funny, you were given a lot of free reign to work with, but blatant, unfunny attack pages were disposed of very quickly.
Many of the new pages are just this, and they just made an admin of Weston Sharpensteen, a massive lolcow who mainly creates completely unfunny, obsessively A-Logging attack pages.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
Many of the new pages are just this, and they just made an admin of Weston Sharpensteen, a massive lolcow who mainly creates completely unfunny, obsessively A-Logging attack pages.
Post Pigvinyl, the standards plummeted dramatically (lawl), I remember trying to help salvage the relaunched site in 2011 only to be told that the attack pages should be allowed to stay on the offchance something could be made worthwhile of them later. That was about the time I left.

Still, from when it launched until it initially died, it was the place to find news on the latest happenings. When some shit went down online in those days, ED would have a fat, decently accurate article about it frontpaged the next day, if not that evening.

Freya

i wanna go where the down boys go
kiwifarms.net
The Doopie article has the massively autistic perseveration to be pretty complete, but it isn't exactly funny.
admittedly, ED's standards are very low nowadays. anybody that edits consistently can get admin if they really want it. we had that POS zaiger who even let onideus back until he was ousted. Hagibor never came across as that bad to me.
but looking back, i did trim quite a bit from it and noticed something was off.

oddish

itsa me, oddguy
kiwifarms.net
ED has not even been down for a full month. When it went down for less than a week, we had the same conspiracy theories telling of ED's doom circulating back then, and also drawing a parallel with 8chan. It is quite amusing how much bullshit people can spew. No, honestly. I'm not saying this to hurt fragile feelings. I am truly amused, a little bit only though.

The site is not dead. It will return, as always.

lol stfu faggot go back to your own site

Tags
None