Encyclopedia Dramatica - Capitulation: The Thread

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Pukebucket

Genderfear - Thee/Thine
kiwifarms.net
ED was fine back in the day as a means of documenting drama and various online phenomena such as memes or general events relating to the internet (particularly the 'Chans, since unless you were actively on every board at every moment certain events were easily missed). It was also useful for documenting internet-to-IRL shenanigans (see Project Chanology/Pool's Closed) in an age before Youtube channels like Internet Historian or Mister Metokur were a thing, but as time went on more and more of these events started happening until there really wasn't a set division between online activity and IRL consequences anymore, effectively rendering ED's documentation of online behavior (outside of lolcows) somewhat moot.

What really killed the site though was when whats-her-tits turned it into Oh Internet (fucking RIP to that idea) and everyone had to shuffle a broken copy onto another site while attempting frantically to re-archive everything. So many images and archives were lost or saved only as pissbaby-sized thumbnails that there really isn't any point in using the site anymore. ED is still useful if only for looking at very old archives on ancient, still-active lolcows (which are less and less every year) and babby's first cringe compilation material, but anybody still actively using it to archive new drama are in essence just beating a dead horse and using the resulting twitches and spasms as proof of "activity".

I think it does have some value as a historical archive of lolcows who were active 10+ years ago, but attempting to use it as a platform for modern-day drama makes it fall hopelessly flat, not helped by the fact that every article reads as though it was written by a thirteen-year-old who thinks writing "re.tard" and "nigger" upwards of thirty times a page is pure comedic gold.

Also apparently ED won a People's Choice Award in 2008? Somehow I forgot about that. How far the mighty have fallen.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Internet communities seem to be fragile that way: Once the original motivating element is interrupted (in ED's case by prolonged outage and loss of content) they tend to decline and not recover. Most of ED's users took Girlvinyl's backstab as a sign it was time to move on instead of restore the site and they can't be blamed because that's the nature of people.

oddish

itsa me, oddguy
kiwifarms.net
Hey @oddish, now that ED seems to be dead for the 3rd time (and for good probably), what is going to happen now?
lol idk I'm not involved in any of the technical stuff and every time the other admins added me to some sort of group chat I always said "boring i don't care" and left so they gave up trying years ago.

I guess either they wait for him to post bail, contact him somehow so he can hand over the site or someone else deals with it, but I haven't bothered tp check what anyone is doing.

:3

2020Suicide

kiwifarms.net
They havent made a good article over at ED since 2013. Once Girlvinyl tried to change it that was it. The internet is too big and full of lolcows for a handful of autists to keep track anyways, it was easier during the myspace days when only losers and teenagers were online.

• Agree
Reactions: Nekromantik2

AprilRains

Drowning Pumpkin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Damn. For all that I disparaged ED's later days, I was going to return once it stayed up for a bit and make a couple of articles.

• Feels
Reactions: Super-Chevy454

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They havent made a good article over at ED since 2013. Once Girlvinyl tried to change it that was it. The internet is too big and full of lolcows for a handful of autists to keep track anyways, it was easier during the myspace days when only losers and teenagers were online.
It doesn't help that most of the successors have been dope fiends and criminals and psychopaths. Of course, what kind of people do you think are going to run ED at this point anyway?

Bail? What happened?
Indeed, you can't just drop something like that and walk away. It sounds potentially entertaining.

2020Suicide

kiwifarms.net
It doesn't help that most of the successors have been dope fiends and criminals and psychopaths. Of course, what kind of people do you think are going to run ED at this point anyway?

I mean they did have Null-esque weirdos too, but they mocked and laughed those people right off the site for their weird fetishes. This could easily been in the hands of someone more capable.

Tags
None