Epic Games Exclusives - Its time to talk about what the AAA gaming industry does not understand about the PC console.

skiddlez

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This thread is so stupid and full of psuedointellectual bullshit that my brain actually hurts right now. I've read the first several pages and it's so much completely incorrect shit I have to correct it.

First of all, tencent is not a majority shareholder in epic games. They own 40%. If tencent wanted, they could have bought the whole company, because tencent is that wealthy. They didn't do that because they don't want to own the company: it's a TERRIBLE business decision for a chinese investor. If they owned epic games, they'd have to obey by chinese laws. This would not be profitable. Tencent makes money by buying large shares and leaving the companies to their business. Right now, just because epic has a chinese investor does not mean they have to obide by chinese laws, and they do not have to answer to the chinese government, they owe NOTHING to china, and they NEVER have to make their content available to the chinese. Epic is free to do as they please.

Tencent sometimes owns parts of companies or markets in video games and actually owns the rights to publish a version in China. For example, Tencent does this with LEAGUE OF LEGENDS.

LEAGUE. OF. LEGENDS.

Are any of you complaining about league? No? Then what the fuck exactly are you complaining about? Epic literally doesn't even offer to a chinese audience, and the chinese government has no say in the company. You know what company DOES offer products to the chinese? Valve. Yes, the company that runs your precious Steam is doing MORE for china than Epic is. So what exactly is your argument?

Epic is under no obligation to give data to the chinese government. Furthermore, I doubt the chinese government is very concerned with the gameplay times of a bunch of gaming nerds, the fortnite stats of a 12 year old, or even the fucking hentai on your hard drive. You're being paranoid here. The chinese hate japan and don't want to look at your goddamn japanese hentai, calm down.

But, let's just say you're right. Let's just say epic games is obligated to scrape the lolicon off your hard drive so that Xi Jinping can masturbate to it. So now we look at the dumb claims of the epic games store doing this. All of these claims that the software is "spyware" are backed up with literally ZERO evidence, and the whole claim was started on reddit (also with zero evidence), and it doesn't even surprise me that you mongoloids would be so inclined to believe reddit when it doesn't even offer a shred of evidence. Here's what we ACTUALLY know.

The epic games store looked at your steam friends without asking you if it could do that. If you decided to import your steam friends it was easy, and it just sent the data over. However, none of the data was sent to epic games servers UNLESS you told the client to. Even the people studying the client admitted that the client never sent the info, just collected it pre-emptively. Epic addressed this by saying this was an oversight and the client is still in early development. They fixed it so now the client doesn't even look at your steam data unless you tell it to. It also sends nothing, and has always sent nothing, unless you gave it permission. Considering this privacy issue was fixed (that never actually invaded your privacy anyway) it is now a completely moot point.

The second thing that everyone went crazy about is that the epic games client scans your processes. You know why it does this? So it can tell if you're currently playing a videogame in your epic games library. YOU KNOW WHAT CLIENT ALSO DOES THIS EXACT SAME THING? STEAM. OMG STEAM IS OBVIOUSLY SPYWARE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And that's LITERALLY it. I've already done an independent analysis of the epic games client and my findings are that it's silent unless you load pages in the client, such as load the store. Then it loads the webpage, which obviously sends and receives data, because you LITERALLY FUCKING ASKED IT TO. The only "weird" thing that the client does is extremely briefly send/receive data when you open the settings menu. My guess is that the epic games client is either syncing your settings so that they're the same across multiple computers, or it's checking for an update, because for some odd reason, yes, updates are handled by the settings menu. So it's probably asking if there's an update available.

For the love of god people, if you're going to accuse epic games of spyware, at least don't jump on some stupid fucking bandwagon with no info. Do your research or test/monitor/reverse engineer the software for yourself. Quit being a bunch of retards.

Also, if it's unfair business practice to get publishers to offer games exclusively on your platform, you all better be raging at nintendo, sony, and microsoft. Because they have done that for fucking DECADES.

Also, if it's unfair to entice people with lower rates, and by people in this case I actually mean developers, then it's unfair to sway consumers with lower rates too, and by this case you can basically sue any services company for all they're worth.

Your arguments are stupid. Everything epic is doing has been "valid" in business since forever. They haven't done a single thing that hasn't already been done a billion times before to try to knock out a huge monopoly that they're competing with. These are all valid, longstanding business tactics that have been done by shitloads of companies before them.

If you're mad about the epic games store, don't install it. The games you want are all timed exclusives anyway, to my knowledge. You'll get them on steam eventually. If you've been a PC gamer for a while, you're used to getting games late anyway. You'll live.

Mcniggered

Chungo Cat
kiwifarms.net
As for Epic themselves, perhaps they're just trying to force a solid foothold against Steam now so they can overtake them later. But that doesn't make sense because they could be using all of that money to fix their store into an acceptable version now and not piss off people into actively avoiding the store out of spite. The current increased buyer base they have can't be worth the angry buzzing they're getting with each exclusive deal. Then there's the poor security that users are complaining about, I believe you said you've personally gotten several attacks on your account. Who wants to put their money on that? I've never even gotten one of those on Steam in the decade I've had an account.
I don't have the exact article/interview on hand but I remember Tim saying something along the lines of the exclusivity shit is the only "logical" way for them to compete with a titan like Steam and any other way would be impossible which I don't fucking buy for a second. If Epic stuck to their guns and actually made a competent launcher with even half the features Steam has now without the dumb shit like reviews being optional I doubt you'd see even half the backlash they got but instead they chose to just toss their money around like a pervert jacking off into a crowd, hoping they'll build up a player base large enough to support them once their vbucks runs out. I only have the shitty launcher installed for one game that I've been playing since alpha and I'm still not happy about having to use their launcher. Thankfully I learned not too long ago besides updating the said game, I can launch the game completely without ever having the launcher open because it's literally just a glorified web browser as shitty as IE. Also I can attest to the shit security epic has, back when Paragon was still around I got a key for the beta with that along with fortnite when it was pve only but never played much of either, over the next year or two both games were around and one dying, I would get atleast 4-5 emails a day about how some fuck in china, russian, or india was trying to access my account even though I had 2 Factor set up for it. Even after changing my password on my account around 5-6 times and using password generators I still get these emails occasionally but much more rare these days.

• Informative
Reactions: KingofNothing

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Also, if it's unfair business practice to get publishers to offer games exclusively on your platform, you all better be raging at nintendo, sony, and microsoft. Because they have done that for fucking DECADES.
Show me an example of any of them forcing a game that was on another platform to exclusively be on theirs at the last minute

Also, if it's unfair to entice people with lower rates, and by people in this case I actually mean developers, then it's unfair to sway consumers with lower rates too, and by this case you can basically sue any services company for all they're worth.
No one cares how much money the devs are getting, people are pissed about getting the bait n switch because these guys decided to take their games off Steam after advertising on there for months, some even taking pre-orders. By the way, the crowdfunded games can be potentially be sued, by not delivering what they promised to their backers. A lot people put in for a physical copy of Shenmue 3 on the PC that is now useless. They better get a refund or that sounds a lot like fraud.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This thread is so stupid and full of psuedointellectual bullshit that my brain actually hurts right now. I've read the first several pages and it's so much completely incorrect shit I have to correct it.

First of all, tencent is not a majority shareholder in epic games. They own 40%. If tencent wanted, they could have bought the whole company, because tencent is that wealthy. They didn't do that because they don't want to own the company: it's a TERRIBLE business decision for a chinese investor. If they owned epic games, they'd have to obey by chinese laws. This would not be profitable. Tencent makes money by buying large shares and leaving the companies to their business. Right now, just because epic has a chinese investor does not mean they have to obide by chinese laws, and they do not have to answer to the chinese government, they owe NOTHING to china, and they NEVER have to make their content available to the chinese. Epic is free to do as they please.
Wrong. Tencent owns 48% of Epic shares. The 40% comes from the combined Epic capital they control as well as employee stock options. They own just enough of Epic to not have this happen. However, Tencent has directors and observers inside of Epic. Epic is not free to do as they please at all. If someone controls 40% of your capitalization and employee stock options, has directors and observers, you are not free to do as you please.

If you think so, you're a fucking moron. Get your mouth off Tim Sweeny's cock and look at fucking reality. 40% of your capital is controlled by China. They've got 48%, oh excuse me, 48.4% of Epic's outstanding shares. No shit they don't own Epic because they don't want it to obey Chinese laws. They own enough to dictate it and control it, however. And if you're going to tell me that 'HURR IT DOESN'T' when Tencent controls 40% of their capitalization, you're not even worth talking to.

Tencent sometimes owns parts of companies or markets in video games and actually owns the rights to publish a version in China. For example, Tencent does this with LEAGUE OF LEGENDS.

LEAGUE. OF. LEGENDS.

Are any of you complaining about league? No? Then what the fuck exactly are you complaining about? Epic literally doesn't even offer to a chinese audience, and the chinese government has no say in the company. You know what company DOES offer products to the chinese? Valve. Yes, the company that runs your precious Steam is doing MORE for china than Epic is. So what exactly is your argument?
You said you read the thread, obviously your reading comprehension is shit because this is about exclusivity. And only faggots play League so they can get their data stolen for all I care. Oh, and why isn't League on the Epic store? That's right, because the Epic store brand is so noxious Tencent doesn't want to fuck up their cash cow with Tim Sweeny's irrational vendetta against Valve.

Valve is a US based company with no Chinese directors, observers and control of their capitalization. Every company on Earth offers their products to China, including the movie industry. They also pander to Chinese audience while Chinese companies do not own any shares or dictate what they can do with their capital. Stop strawmanning.

Epic is under no obligation to give data to the chinese government. Furthermore, I doubt the chinese government is very concerned with the gameplay times of a bunch of gaming nerds, the fortnite stats of a 12 year old, or even the fucking hentai on your hard drive. You're being paranoid here. The chinese hate japan and don't want to look at your goddamn japanese hentai, calm down.

But, let's just say you're right. Let's just say epic games is obligated to scrape the lolicon off your hard drive so that Xi Jinping can masturbate to it. So now we look at the dumb claims of the epic games store doing this. All of these claims that the software is "spyware" are backed up with literally ZERO evidence, and the whole claim was started on reddit (also with zero evidence), and it doesn't even surprise me that you mongoloids would be so inclined to believe reddit when it doesn't even offer a shred of evidence. Here's what we ACTUALLY know.

The epic games store looked at your steam friends without asking you if it could do that. If you decided to import your steam friends it was easy, and it just sent the data over. However, none of the data was sent to epic games servers UNLESS you told the client to. Even the people studying the client admitted that the client never sent the info, just collected it pre-emptively. Epic addressed this by saying this was an oversight and the client is still in early development. They fixed it so now the client doesn't even look at your steam data unless you tell it to. It also sends nothing, and has always sent nothing, unless you gave it permission. Considering this privacy issue was fixed (that never actually invaded your privacy anyway) it is now a completely moot point.
Nobody trusts China, nor should they. You want to trust a 48% shareholder, go ahead. 'Early development' fuck off with that shit. Nigger, a grandma with an Etsy page is more developed than the Epic Game store. Also, you want to trust big tech that's in a partnership with China? Go right the fuck ahead. I'm sure China never does any shady shit at all.

It had a fucking SHOPPING CART IN A ROADMAP. You are telling me to use this when it had a fucking basic feature of a store in a roadmap? This isn't 1992. You want to compete, you release a store that functions. Epic doesn't function. You can't play your games offline. You can't write reviews. You barely have a friends list. If you buy too many games it locks your account. Its leaked personal information to other users like Bethesda. It did its sale so incompetently developers panicked and had to pull their games from the store.

The second thing that everyone went crazy about is that the epic games client scans your processes. You know why it does this? So it can tell if you're currently playing a videogame in your epic games library. YOU KNOW WHAT CLIENT ALSO DOES THIS EXACT SAME THING? STEAM. OMG STEAM IS OBVIOUSLY SPYWARE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And that's LITERALLY it. I've already done an independent analysis of the epic games client and my findings are that it's silent unless you load pages in the client, such as load the store. Then it loads the webpage, which obviously sends and receives data, because you LITERALLY FUCKING ASKED IT TO. The only "weird" thing that the client does is extremely briefly send/receive data when you open the settings menu. My guess is that the epic games client is either syncing your settings so that they're the same across multiple computers, or it's checking for an update, because for some odd reason, yes, updates are handled by the settings menu. So it's probably asking if there's an update available.

For the love of god people, if you're going to accuse epic games of spyware, at least don't jump on some stupid fucking bandwagon with no info. Do your research or test/monitor/reverse engineer the software for yourself. Quit being a bunch of exceptional individuals.
Nigger, this thread hasn't been about spyware for over a month now. The security on Epic is pathetic. And your point is moot, nobody wants to fucking use it. There is 0 trust in the platform. Its had massive security problems in the past. And still does. Every couple of months or so Epic has to send me an email to change my fucking password.

You're spazzing more than anyone else in this thread. Sorry if I don't trust your independent analysis, Doctor Autism. I'll go with history and the shadiness of Chinese involvement in businesses over you.

Your arguments are stupid. Everything epic is doing has been "valid" in business since forever. They haven't done a single thing that hasn't already been done a billion times before to try to knock out a huge monopoly that they're competing with. These are all valid, longstanding business tactics that have been done by shitloads of companies before them.

If you're mad about the epic games store, don't install it. The games you want are all timed exclusives anyway, to my knowledge. You'll get them on steam eventually. If you've been a PC gamer for a while, you're used to getting games late anyway. You'll live.
Here we go again. Dumbfuck, those are all first party titles faggot. Your reading comprehension skills are of a mental fucking midget. Nobody is raging that Super Smash isn't on PC. Nobody is even raging at Origin having EA games or Ubisoft keeping all their games to UPlay. That's because they developed them. They have a right to restrict them to where they want to because they paid for them.

What we're saying is that the PC is an open platform and unless you're super triple A, first party titles being exclusive to a platform this is unprecedented in this business. Lower rates? Nigger, what lower rates? We don't give a fuck if developers get less of a cut. Why should I use a terribly designed, no feature, webpage instead of GoG, Origin, Steam or UPlay? While all games are cheaper literally everywhere else, and I have dozens of third party options if they aren't? Oh wait, you can't give me an answer.

People are pissed because Epic can't compete. It isn't designed to. Its designed to brute force its way into the market, deceive customers with anti-consumer practices and leech on Steam like a parasite, using the superior platform for free advertising before pulling products. Not to mention completely irrational exclusive decisions that make little to no sense, spending money which they'll never see again.

The point is, there is no reason to use Epic except for Epic doing shady dumb shit that will fail in the long run. Epic is bleeding money. Epic has no goodwill. Its business practices are fucktarded and make no sense. Its trying to bleed Steam when it just got into a partnership with Microsoft. It doesn't even have Cyberpunk 2077 on it yet, the most anticipated game of 2020.

And you still haven't given me a fucking reason to use it.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net

BillyGoat2

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reactions: OmnipotentStupidity

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If Epic stuck to their guns and actually made a competent launcher with even half the features Steam has now without the dumb shit like reviews being optional I doubt you'd see even half the backlash they got but instead they chose to just toss their money around like a pervert jacking off into a crowd, hoping they'll build up a player base large enough to support them once their vbucks runs out. I only have the shitty launcher installed for one game that I've been playing since alpha and I'm still not happy about having to use their launcher. Thankfully I learned not too long ago besides updating the said game, I can launch the game completely without ever having the launcher open because it's literally just a glorified web browser as shitty as IE. Also I can attest to the shit security epic has, back when Paragon was still around I got a key for the beta with that along with fortnite when it was pve only but never played much of either, over the next year or two both games were around and one dying, I would get atleast 4-5 emails a day about how some fuck in china, russian, or india was trying to access my account even though I had 2 Factor set up for it. Even after changing my password on my account around 5-6 times and using password generators I still get these emails occasionally but much more rare these days.
Tim Sweeny is a massive faggot and a fucktard who runs basically a child gambling simulator and thinks that 'developers' will win the 'store war'. When GoG game out, it held you tenderly with loving arms of nostalgia, just saying it was DRM free and they wanted to give people and developers that option which wasn't really around. There was no store war, even when Steam and GoG had the same titles on it.

Now Epic comes in like

Nobody wanted or asked for a violent market intrusion that tries to force itself on you. He thinks developers will win it so he's constantly buying anyone who will take his money. He will never fucking develop his browser window he calls a store. You'll be lucky if you get a shopping cart on it. Instead of using that capital to build trust and consumer confidence, he's fucking with the entire consumer base actively. He has destroyed so many bridges and relying on the children playing Fortnite to buy other games, which is fucking stupid. The store is shit, the management is shit, the games they make are shit. The only good thing Epic has right now is the Unreal Engine. Its like he basically decided, "No one will accept me, so I'll fuck them till they love me." That's not how things work. He's trying to drag you into his shithole of a store. Of which any capital is going on purchasing more exclusives. It has the barest bones of features and like said above, it is a fucking web browser essentially.

And now they're actively panicking because loot box regulation is coming and that's the only real product they sell. And they're pretty much lying about having no purchasing data on Fortnite players. Governments are literally doing everything they can to AVOID regulating them, but they keep fucking up.

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
Soooo the Sinking City is out & people can't play it because there is a problem with the launcher.

PC players are asking for help ON STEAM. Fucking hilarious.

:story:

I was looking forward to play this game but since they lied to Steam users, I will not pay the full price for it even tho I'm a ps4 owner. I wait until the price drops. I don't support lying scumbags.

Last edited:

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
That announcement is from March and they still have the nerve to have it up on steam, what a bunch of cunts. Hope that Epic injection will outlast the salt people are throwing their way

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This always happens. The hilarious thing is that it brings more people over to Steam to buy things, especially with their summer sale going on. In case anyone's wondering why Steam doesn't stop this, they don't because: 1) Its fucking funny and is an embarrassment to Epic 2) Keeps people off the Epic Store 3) Puts people on their platform 4) Goodwill towards them and against Epic and the developer that chose them.

Because their client is functionally a piece of shit and barely functions.

EDIT:
I'd also like to mention people would be using Epic if they weren't poaching exclusives and burning the entire PC community to the ground for the sake of 'developers'. Dude, nobody cares. People die in IPhone factories. That doesn't stop people from buying them. We're consumers. We're going to decide. You can pull all the shit you want, but at the end of the day we're where the money is.

The biggest Entertainment company on Earth, Disney, destroyed the Star Wars brand in a single year. Despite them owning everything, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You cannot force a consumer to buy, no matter what you do. And consumers will spite the ever-living fuck out of you. Which they are.

Last edited:

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
That announcement is from March and they still have the nerve to have it up on steam, what a bunch of cunts. Hope that Epic injection will outlast the salt people are throwing their way
No lie, I had told someone that after pulling games off of the store, rumors had been spreading that people were having trouble accessing their keys due to shit getting pulled off the store and they just kept ignoring any argument I told them, and finally following it up with "It'll work itself out", like they won the argument.

Now, I'm just sitting here laughing as I check in and see how not only was this never fixed but it has actively been getting worse and has now affected The Sinking City, all whilst the group he hangs out with continues to talk non-stop about how "EPIC IS GOOD FOR THE INDUSTRY THO GUIS REALLY" in a never-ending circlejerk of chucklefuckery.

Every piece of news about Epic constantly tripping over themselves is like another early Christmas present.

"I wonder what's inside this one! GASP! Astroturfing and malfunctioning products!? Oh Papa Sweeney, you shouldn't have!"

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
No lie, I had told someone that after pulling games off of the store, rumors had been spreading that people were having trouble accessing their keys due to shit getting pulled off the store and they just kept ignoring any argument I told them, and finally following it up with "It'll work itself out", like they won the argument.

Now, I'm just sitting here laughing as I check in and see how not only was this never fixed but it has actively been getting worse and has now affected The Sinking City, all whilst the group he hangs out with continues to talk non-stop about how "EPIC IS GOOD FOR THE INDUSTRY THO GUIS REALLY" in a never-ending circlejerk of chucklefuckery.

Every piece of news about Epic constantly tripping over themselves is like another early Christmas present.

"I wonder what's inside this one! GASP! Astroturfing and malfunctioning products!? Oh Papa Sweeney, you shouldn't have!"
I can't believe Epic still has orbiters that are jerking off a store that still doesn't have a goddamn shopping cart of all things and locks your account for buying 5 games in a row during a sale.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Because people don't understand healthy and unhealthy competition. Nor do they understand constructive or destructive market forces. Epic is not healthily 'disrupting the market' or the 'status quo'. It is destructive and unhealthy.

1) Epic is through, the use of exclusive, shrinking the PC market space as a whole
2) Epic is overly aggressive, disrupting the trust of other third party developers who in general will be hurt the most with this even if it has nothing to do with them.
3) Epic is trying to 'buy the market' basically, while not developing their own store. This reduces consumer choice and denies them better, superior alternatives and products.
4) Epic does not support third party sites, therefore limiting the market space as well as limiting developer profits it says it cares about
5) Epic has further and greatly harmed the funding of small games by shattering consumer trust in them, therefore leading to less funding for them.

Epic is a destructive market force actively harming the PC market and benefiting nobody but itself. It is not competition. It is not building the space up. It is tearing it down. You cannot do what I mentioned and be healthy competition. What Epic has essentially done is come into a stable market and destroyed it, harming everything in the space. The market is actually worse now, because it isn't just harming stores, its harming the entire PC gaming space as a whole for its own benefit. Its basically trying to be EA of the PC world.

If you believe Epic is in any way good for the PC market or the consumer over Steam or GoG, you're a retar.d.

I can't believe Epic still has orbiters that are jerking off a store that still doesn't have a goddamn shopping cart of all things and locks your account for buying 5 games in a row during a sale.
Even Bethesda has fans still. People like getting fucked up the ass it seems.

Safir

kiwifarms.net
lol who needs forums or reviews.
I unironically agree. If you're a new business and can't build a social network like Steam did, private rat king breeding grounds scaring away new customers are a liability. Let people discuss games in their communities of choice, have your PR guys working there, and use newsletters and tickets to communicate with existing customers.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino