Epic Games Exclusives - Its time to talk about what the AAA gaming industry does not understand about the PC console.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
So people dug around a bit more and, for those that aren't applying for refunds (though, seriously, why the fuck aren't people at this point) and are sticking with getting the $60 physical disc edition, they will instead be getting a disc with the Epic Games Store launcher installed on it.

Not the game, nor a Steam version. as people with the receipts and e-mails from Deep Silver/Ys Net had said: a disc for the launcher. Like one of those AOL discs you would get for 100 minutes of Internet back when dial-up was a thing. Except even those were more useful than this disc.

...On the plus side, the exclusivity deal seems to have been cut down from "forever" to "1 year" but only if you switch to Steam on their old, now updated, survey you had to sign so that's...better? But it just shows that the more people find out about this, the worse the news keeps getting.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Yeah I think we can safely say there won't be a Shenmue 4 after this fiasco.

What the fuck were they thinking?
They may have been thinking there wasn't going to be a Shenmue 4 regardless and decided to cash out early, by taking Epic's giant pile of cash.

Like I can't imagine there is a large audience for fucking Shenmue in 2020 and beyond.

• Agree
Reactions: R.E.O. Spedwagon

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
At first, I was just annoyed, now I'm starting to get genuinely pissed off at Tim refusing to acknowledge how his strong-arm tactics suck and give 0 benefits to the customer.
Is not technically his idea all this shitshow started when Tencent throwed shitload of cash and bought almost half of the company, and they are good in being pricks and doing scorch earth tactics to fuck with people

Gee Sweeney: I wonder why Valve isn't giving out Steam keys to a developer that isn't putting their games up on Steam to begin with.
Shenmue III backers get refunds but Steam is blamed for not providing Steam keys.

"Reeeeee why don't we get Steam keys even tho our game isn't on Steam?‽"

Fucking Idiots.
A big fucking lie, if we learned something from the hurricane of shit that was Revolution 60 is that as long as the game is in the Steam database they will give you the keys not question asked, THEY REFUSE to do it because they want to force people to use Epic store, if you want to laugh a little go to usual warez forums they are practically sharpen the knife to crack day 1 Shenmue because several members donated to the kickstarter and were willing to give the Nier automata treatment (cracking it day 1 but refusing to release it because they wanted the game to succeed, even pirates have standards) but after this dick move, they are going nuclear on the game

And the kickstarter website is a sea of flame with shit like this

"Details concerning the refund request process will be announced in a following update. We ask for your patience until that time."]

In a polygon article (i know disgusting) they stated that Epic is going to pay themselves the refunds, the problem they did not say is how they are going to refund a game you did not buy for them, they are halfway expecting that people get lazy and dont ask for refunds in mass, the favorite one is credits for the epic store, they dont care if they lose money they want to shove the damn thing down your throat

In the words of our dear lord Gaben "piracy is not a pricing problem, is a SERVICE problem" and epic store is the best proof of it

Last edited:

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
They may have been thinking there wasn't going to be a Shenmue 4 regardless and decided to cash out early, by taking Epic's giant pile of cash.

Like I can't imagine there is a large audience for fucking Shenmue in 2020 and beyond.
Mmmm..Hipsters, maybe?

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is not technically his idea all this shitshow started when Tencent throwed shitload of cash and bought almost half of the company, and they are good in being pricks and doing scorch earth tactics to fuck with people

A big fucking lie, if we learned something from the hurricane of shit that was Revolution 60 is that as long as the game is in the Steam database they will give you the keys not question asked, THEY REFUSE to do it because they want to force people to use Epic store, if you want to laugh a little go to usual warez forums they are practically sharpen the knife to crack day 1 Shenmue because several members donated to the kickstarter and were willing to give the Nier automata treatment (cracking it day 1 but refusing to release it because they wanted the game to succeed, even pirates have standards) but after this dick move, they are going nuclear on the game

And the kickstarter website is a sea of flame with shit like this

"Details concerning the refund request process will be announced in a following update. We ask for your patience until that time."]

In a polygon article (i know disgusting) they stated that Epic is going to pay themselves the refunds, the problem they did not say is how they are going to refund a game you did not buy for them, they are halfway expecting that people get lazy and dont ask for refunds in mass, the favorite one is credits for the epic store, they dont care if they lose money they want to shove the damn thing down your throat

In the words of our dear lord Gaben "piracy is not a pricing problem, is a SERVICE problem" and epic store is the best proof of it
Tim Sweeny is lying obviously. Steam Keys are free for anyone. The dev has control over them. Obviously Epic told the dev not to generate any, because the entire point of exclusives is to get them to use their store.

And it is totally going to be in Epic credit. They literally do not care about your opinion. The 'we'll pay for it' reeks of Epic dollars all over it. The money that you gave whatever developer and 40 publishers this game had is long gone. Epic's contract is ironclad. You'll be getting a $60+15 'on us' credit from the chink Spyware company. They'll probably blame Valve somewhere because they have to by this point. They honestly did not care about Shenmue at all, basically it was a vehicle to get you over there anyway. So your refund is literally nothing. Koch Media already got paid. Epic already paid money and it already doesn't care about you.

So people dug around a bit more and, for those that aren't applying for refunds (though, seriously, why the fuck aren't people at this point) and are sticking with getting the $60 physical disc edition, they will instead be getting a disc with the Epic Games Store launcher installed on it.

Not the game, nor a Steam version. as people with the receipts and e-mails from Deep Silver/Ys Net had said: a disc for the launcher. Like one of those AOL discs you would get for 100 minutes of Internet back when dial-up was a thing. Except even those were more useful than this disc.

...On the plus side, the exclusivity deal seems to have been cut down from "forever" to "1 year" but only if you switch to Steam on their old, now updated, survey you had to sign so that's...better? But it just shows that the more people find out about this, the worse the news keeps getting.
If you're stupid enough to stick with a $60 'physical disc' edition of something that sold out to Epic, you get what you deserve. lol, they took money for Epic. You think they're putting that back into the product? Are you fucktarded? That money is in Koch media exec's whore, drug and booze fund as we speak. The only people putting money back into the game are indie devs. All other games purchased its going into executive's bank accounts as bonuses for themselves.

Epic's store is so barebones, I don't even know if it supports independent launchers. It sure as fuck doesn't support offline play. So they're not going to make you anything special. If they're pissed, get a refund.

I think it was always one year, but they just felt being coy and did not anticipate the huge amount of outrage this would generate.

• Agree
Reactions: OmnipotentStupidity

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/ghostbusters_the_video_game_remastered_will_be_a_gamestop_exclusive_in_the_united_states

So, not only will "Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Remastered" be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC, but it turns out the physical copies of the game are exclusive only to GameStop stores per a joint venture between the two companies.

...GameStop.

GAMESTOP.

EDIT: What exactly is your plan here, Epic? This is them throwing money into a literal dumpster fire for no other reason other than to dissuade physical/console releases and to move consumers towards PC, I realize that...but why GameStop!? If you're gonna do that, at least don't make it this obvious that neither you nor the developer you bribed give a fuck.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Shaved Kiwis

Gran Autismo 3: A-Sped
kiwifarms.net

I stopped caring about the Shenmue series sometime between Peter Moore selling Shenmue II to Microsoft and Sega making Yakuza. I'm sure most of you guys know this one already, but: Moore disclosed to GamingSteve.com that at a security checkpoint at Chicago O'Hare International Airport, a TSA security agent said "I don't need to see your passport. You're the asshole that gave away Shenmue to Xbox".

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/ghostbusters_the_video_game_remastered_will_be_a_gamestop_exclusive_in_the_united_states

So, not only will "Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Remastered" be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC, but it turns out the physical copies of the game are exclusive only to GameStop stores per a joint venture between the two companies.

...GameStop.

View attachment 827150

GAMESTOP.

EDIT: What exactly is your plan here, Epic? This is them throwing money into a literal dumpster fire for no other reason other than to dissuade physical/console releases and to move consumers towards PC, I realize that...but why GameStop!? If you're gonna do that, at least don't make it this obvious that neither you nor the developer you bribed give a fuck.
Thank god I already bought this game on PC, fuck Epic and fuck GameStop. They both need to burn.
I stopped caring about the Shenmue series sometime between Peter Moore selling Shenmue II to Microsoft and Sega making Yakuza. I'm sure most of you guys know this one already, but: Moore disclosed to GamingSteve.com that at a security checkpoint at Chicago O'Hare International Airport, a TSA security agent said "I don't need to see your passport. You're the asshole that gave away Shenmue to Xbox".

Shenmue is niche as hell, how unlucky do you have to be to run into a guy who knows about it and actually cares enough to give you shit for it? That's hilarious.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
Would not be surprised if Tencent buy Gamestop, i mean they like to throw money at everything for no reason at all

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Crowdfunding is dead and Epic killed it. If I was thinking about running a kickstarter, I'd be pissed. Who's gonna back my game knowing I can fuck them over for a sweet bag of money from Epic at anytime and recoup any potential losses?

Epic Games will fund cost of refunds for crowdfunded games that go Epic Games Store exclusive
2019-07-03 08:00:00by Chris Moyse

Epic goes all-in on store exclusivity

In the wake of the recent Shenmue III debacle, publisher Epic Games has announced that, going forward, it will stump up the coffers for any and all refunds pertaining to a crowdfunding game choosing to become an Epic Games Store exclusive release.

As a slight refresher, developer Ys Net and publisher Deep Silver upset a lot of fans with the announcement that crowd-funded sequel Shenmue III was to be an Epic Games Store exclusive title, with many backers believing that they would be able to purchase the game for PC on Steam day one. It was then announced this week that any backers who did not wish to purchase Shenmue III via Epic Games Store could either wait a year for the exclusivity to end, change their order to a PS4 copy of the game, or receive a refund for their original dividend.

Clearly anticipating the possibility for this situation to rise again in future, Epic Games has pulled what can arguably be seen as a bold move. From Shenmue III forward, any crowdfunded title that chooses to go with Epic Games Store can be safe in the knowledge that Epic guarantee to pay for all refunds that may arise from potentially disgruntled consumers, should key availability not be an option.

This move immediately takes the concern from a financial standpoint off of the game's publisher should they be handed the opportunity to go with the digital sales platform. Of course, it doesn't change any potential backlash on a conceptual level, as many fans have made it adamantly clear that they simply don't want games to be an Epic Games Store exclusive in the first place, regardless of whether they can get their money back. This new offer, in my opinion, puts publishers in a tough spot where the security of going with Epic is sweetened by the removal of refund concerns, but still leaves behind the potential for angry consumers regardless.

For many crowdfunded games, often made by young, independently-financed outfits, it's a decision that brings about a clash in security/financial stability vs. the subjective concept of "selling out", or alienating buyers who simply do not wish to use the Epic Games Store. On an indie level, where every single sale counts, I'm not particularly envious of any team having to make that choice that could prove pragmatic and financially secure for their future, but simultaneously runs the risk of upsetting potential customers.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: Rivalo

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Crowdfunding is dead and Epic killed it. If was thinking about running a kickstarter, I'd be pissed. Who's gonna back my game knowing I can fuck them over for a sweet bag of money from Epic at anytime and recoup any potential losses?
Maybe you can market your game by saying you'll never sell out to Epic. Of course, if you don't deliver on that promise the internet will fucking eat you alive.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: KingofNothing

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
From Shenmue III forward, any crowdfunded title that chooses to go with Epic Games Store can be safe in the knowledge that Epic guarantee to pay for all refunds that may arise from potentially disgruntled consumers, should key availability not be an option.
What a scumbag move, the one from Shenmue was a dick move that took everybody by surprise, the shit was announced FOR STEAM, it had STEAM logos in the damn website, now every single project that decide to grab the bait of Epic will know that they are not going to reach the funding goal because the first question it always going to be "is going to be a Epic exclusive?"

Henk Hill

Clouds?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Crowdfunding is dead and Epic killed it. If I was thinking about running a kickstarter, I'd be pissed. Who's gonna back my game knowing I can fuck them over for a sweet bag of money from Epic at anytime and recoup any potential losses?

Pissing off gamers left and right, pissing off anyone who plans to start a kickstarter, long term distrust for game devs willing to sign up for their exclusivity, and Epic themselves has to be bleeding money from doing this. Who's gaining anything from their business decisions? Game devs on the verge of bankruptcy needing Epic to bail them out short term maybe? If the goal is to fuck over steam, it's obviously not working.

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
Maybe you can market your game by saying you'll never sell out to Epic. Of course, if you don't deliver on that promise the internet will fucking eat you alive.
Yeah. Epic is so hated that saying ur game isn't epic exclusive (& holding that promise of course) could lead to even more people buying it.

Maybe even use "Fuck Epic". I would do it because well fuck epic.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: KingofNothing

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Who's gaining anything from their business decisions? Game devs on the verge of bankruptcy needing Epic to bail them out short term maybe?
It is actually most likely the little guys gaining anything from this deal. People are going to be pissed at you sure, but if that money is the difference between keeping the lights on at the office or working in your car, then yeah take the money. People are gonna be pissed but it's only one game and they might be able to save some goodwill by pushing that angle. Everyone else doing it can fuck off though

WhoBusTank69

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone else want to claim they aren't being bankrolled if not completely run by the Chinese?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino