Epic Games Exclusives - Its time to talk about what the AAA gaming industry does not understand about the PC console.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pissing off gamers left and right, pissing off anyone who plans to start a kickstarter, long term distrust for game devs willing to sign up for their exclusivity, and Epic themselves has to be bleeding money from doing this. Who's gaining anything from their business decisions? Game devs on the verge of bankruptcy needing Epic to bail them out short term maybe? If the goal is to fuck over steam, it's obviously not working.
Small indie devs and Kickstarter devs. Remember, the amount Epic is paying these indie titles is equivalent to their entire development budgets. Like, Phoenix Point was funded to the tune of 2.5 million, and that's what Epic paid for a year. They probably don't have those sweet 'Steam Loss Projections' thrown in there.

They want to try and starve the beast that's Steam. The problem with Epic is that they've made it fundamentally impossible. What they're doing right now is basically spitting at Steam users in the face, because they have an actual irrational hatred of it. Which I believe stems from Sweeny himself. There's literally 0 reasons to get Shenmue as an exclusive on Epic. None. Its a niche game with an obsessive audience. Its sold all it was going to sell. The only clear, conceivable reason that they bought it was to spite Steam. Remember, they don't see the consumer. They only see publishers and developers. They don't care about the consumer. They aren't doing a single thing to court Steam users over except try to forcibly drag them. And it keeps backfiring. Shenmue was a spectacular backfire, but its going to be in Epic store credit which I believe will backfire harder. Even if its in Epic store credit, Epic has to eat the money from people using it. Which probably means Shenmue is going to cost Epic far more than it will ever earn with it.

They haven't just pissed off gamers. They fucked themselves by securing the Outer Worlds. I honestly think this was their biggest fuck-up to date. Not for any consumer reason of for Steam, but for enraging Microsoft. They'd just bought Obsidian, they own the IP rights, but they didn't publish the game. Here comes Epic, giving Koch Media execs a big fat paycheck for the game on their store. Sweeny was so autistic he didn't see the consequences of this. Think about how much that stings. Epic let a competitor, Take 2, fuck them out of money. On a developer they JUST purchased. Whose game will be forced on an extremely unpopular platform and their dead store. Now Microsoft is all about embracing 'choice' and against exclusives, which is basically saying 'Fuck You' to Epic. Its even worse because its a big company, and smaller companies would look towards MS. I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed releasing games on Epic because of 'technical issues with the store' and being passive aggressive with them at how shit their storefront is. The fuck is Epic going to do about it?

Also the Halo Collection is probably going to fuck any exclusive Epic has secured in its face. So it basically made Steam more money. Yeah, that's why you think of the consumer.

Does anyone else want to claim they aren't being bankrolled if not completely run by the Chinese?
Fucktards and shills. I'll rape them so hard they'll become obsessed with homosexuality.

Also lol to anyone who really believes Tim Sweeny's claim he's 'saving PC gaming'. That nigger is either autistic or has early onset Alzhemier's and thinks its 2003. When he looks at Steam he sees the puke green interface and goes into seizures

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/ghostbusters_the_video_game_remastered_will_be_a_gamestop_exclusive_in_the_united_states

So, not only will "Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Remastered" be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC, but it turns out the physical copies of the game are exclusive only to GameStop stores per a joint venture between the two companies.

...GameStop.

View attachment 827150

GAMESTOP.

EDIT: What exactly is your plan here, Epic? This is them throwing money into a literal dumpster fire for no other reason other than to dissuade physical/console releases and to move consumers towards PC, I realize that...but why GameStop!? If you're gonna do that, at least don't make it this obvious that neither you nor the developer you bribed give a fuck.
This legit pisses me off. They're grabbing re-masters and making them 'exclusive'. Not only is this ret.arded (Nobody with the original game is going to shell out for a remaster. And I guarantee modders will do a better job. I still have Ghostbusters on Steam, because they can't fully remove it from your library). So when the re-master comes out, I look forward to the superior, modded version. Also, why would I go to Epic for a remaster? Who the fuck is making these decisions? I only bought the Dark Souls remaster because it was like 4 bucks and I didn't want to mess with mods if I wanted to play again. It was pure convince. Remasters are convenient. Nobody is going to do the pain in the ass move of going to another store to get a remaster of a game they already own. This is so fucking dumb it boggles my mind.

Also Gamestop lol.

Maybe you can market your game by saying you'll never sell out to Epic. Of course, if you don't deliver on that promise the internet will fucking eat you alive.
What a scumbag move, the one from Shenmue was a dick move that took everybody by surprise, the shit was announced FOR STEAM, it had STEAM logos in the damn website, now every single project that decide to grab the bait of Epic will know that they are not going to reach the funding goal because the first question it always going to be "is going to be a Epic exclusive?"
'Is it an Epic Exclusive?' is basically the question asked of every single PC game that is currently getting a release. That's how bad of a reputation it has right now. Its not because people are excited for it, they want to know if they should avoid it or not.

Epic also promises to be less shady about securing exclusives. No faggots, that's the only way you can do it. Because no one wants to use your shithole of a store. I hope the UK slams your child gambling racket.

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
'Is it an Epic Exclusive?' is basically the question asked of every single PC game that is currently getting a release. That's how bad of a reputation it has right now. Its not because people are excited for it, they want to know if they should avoid it or not.
That's why I say telling Epic to fuck off would make for great marketing. Imagine if Epic approached you and you publicly told them to get fucked, you'd be drowning in spite money.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
lol, Shenmue III still getting shit on:

That's right, what is technically a glorified pre-order won't be receiving pre-order content. But don't worry, they say you can pay for it. Fucking hilarity. I just love how Karma bit Epic's ass off with this.

I think Kickstarting is going to die pretty soon, with both Epic and this fucking debacle happening.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Why the hell does this game has a Season Pass? Was this Deep Silver's doing? Those people paid for your game to be made, any and all pre-order content should be a given. Shenmue has never sold well. YsNet better hope this game does better because they're just pissing off the core group of people who actually give a shit about this and damn sure won't care about the next game you put out.

Also I'm highlighting this guy in particular because you can feel the smugness emanating from him
FireShot Capture 130 - Shenmue 3 Backers Will Not Get Pre-Order Content - Can Pay for it_ - wc...png

Corypheus

Totally not evil
kiwifarms.net
Was it substantiated that the refund would be in epic bux? Would that actually pass muster if someone tried to start a class action?

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Seriously, a season pass for Shenmue out of all games? The flying fuck does it need to have a season pass for, Shenmue last I checked isn't something you can toss in extra DLC for.

BillyGoat2

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was it substantiated that the refund would be in epic bux? Would that actually pass muster if someone tried to start a class action?
As with the f76 bag event. If you accept epic credit then that would count to receiving an adequate refund and you would be ineligible for further recompense. You could deny it however, and request for cash refund instead.
That being said I’ve no idea on the state of refunds for this game.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Being obligated to give a refund and offering worthless scrip of no value instead is just fraud.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Seriously, a season pass for Shenmue out of all games? The flying fuck does it need to have a season pass for, Shenmue last I checked isn't something you can toss in extra DLC for.
Shenmue is the perfect game for a seaon pass/DLC/whatever. It was one of the first games to try and be something that could be described as "episodic" before consoles could really support the concept. Shenmue's story was (alleged) to be initially 21 chapters, with Shenmue 1 being Chapter 1, and Shenmue 2 being Chapters 3-5. They released a Manga that shored up chapter 2.

This apparently was cut down to 16 chapters later, to 11 chapters now (all alleged, from interviews going back to pre 1999). They would need this game and another game's worth of content to finish it (S3 being 6-8, S4 being 9-11), assuming they can mash it all in there. But, they could just relase them as episodes and seasons now that it's 2019; similar to the Telltale games.

However, considering the time that has passed between Shenmue 2 and 3 (which is 17 years so far) I would not buy anything from these people knowing that the story won't be complete until this game comes out, and then another game comes out and hoping they stop there.

Shenmue is also such garbage I'm not certain I would even play the "complete Shenmue remaster" if it existed and was given to me for free, much less buy two or three full $60 releases on the epic games store.

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
GMG is running a promotion where they give store credit and some free stuff if you pre-order one of three Epic Store games.
1562956504826.png

I haven't seen something like this from them in five years, even then it's so much more complicated than then which is amusing since it's Epic Store related games. Back then when you made the purchase you got the bonus, now you have to wait five days or so for the bonus and for the release if you want the $5 GMG credit.

Being obligated to give a refund and offering worthless scrip of no value instead is just fraud.
I don't suppose them offering to put it in your paypal instead of the account you purchased with would qualify, would it?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: AnOminous

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
  • Agree
Reactions: BrunoMattei

ZehnBoat

here comes dodo
kiwifarms.net
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1150542563390238721
Tim Sweeney says "trans developer rights".

While also claiming that you have no right to buy wherever you want as a consumer, because it takes away from those freedoms given "rightfully" to the developers. No I'm not paraphrasing.
this is some ayn rand shit
yes, the developer has the right to release their product as they want
but the consumer has the right to buy as they see fit
and if the two don't meet, oh fucking well, the developer loses out on money
when you run a business, you try to make money
if you don't make compromises, you lose some of that money
and if you don't want to make compromises, it's fine, but don't bitch when the other side doesn't make compromises either.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1150542563390238721
Tim Sweeney says "trans developer rights".

While also claiming that you have no right to buy wherever you want as a consumer, because it takes away from those freedoms given "rightfully" to the developers. No I'm not paraphrasing.
If I was facepalming any harder, I'd be pushing my brain trough my nose...

• Informative
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey you stupid fucking Nigger. You can release your game wherever you want. And I can say 'Go fuck yourself, I am taking my money elsewhere.'

This man seriously has NO business sense at all. Remember when I said Epic was bleeding money over exclusives?

Yeah. They got a 'nice chunk of change" for basically a zombie game mode. They're paying out the ass. They're not competition to Steam. And Steam is doing experimentation with its search and to help you find games to buy, called Steam labs. Meanwhile Epic is massively in the red and has no shopping cart.

Keep trying to suck cock for exclusives Sweeny. Your reputation is in the gutter as is, may as well be a gutter whore as well.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Hey you stupid fucking Nigger. You can release your game wherever you want. And I can say 'Go fuck yourself, I am taking my money elsewhere.'

This man seriously has NO business sense at all. Remember when I said Epic was bleeding money over exclusives?

Yeah. They got a 'nice chunk of change" for basically a zombie game mode. They're paying out the ass. They're not competition to Steam. And Steam is doing experimentation with its search and to help you find games to buy, called Steam labs. Meanwhile Epic is massively in the red and has no shopping cart.

Keep trying to suck cock for exclusives Sweeny. Your reputation is in the gutter as is, may as well be a gutter whore as well.
Ya know, I'll give the guys at Rebellion props, they didn't go the typical route of other dev's praising Epic and demonizing steam, they just pretty much said "Yeah, these fuckers are giving insane piles of cash." This does make me wonder if this will make Epic and Sweeny pissed off that, also you know we say they're massively in the red but I wouldn't mind seeing the actual data for their store to see just how badly or "well" it's doing.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They'll never admit it. I don't think we'll ever really know how terrible its doing. The gaming press is for Epic simply because gamers hate it. And most devs won't spill. There's also probably NDA's involved. There's no way they'll admit it. Nor will Devs admit their games are doing trash. They got a whole bunch of cash, so the likelyhood of them badmouthing them is extremely low.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino