Epic Games General Thread - Its time to talk about what the AAA gaming industry does not understand about the PC console.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
Borderlands 3 is going to be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC. Outer Worlds too. Remember Origin Access for EA Games? Activision would like to have a word! (Please sign up, we are lonely).

Its time to talk about PC Gaming. The often forgotten "console" in the gaming industry. And the horrendous mistakes AAA game publishers are making in their approach to the "console".

Mistake 1. PC Gamers are willing to accept multiple accounts for their games.

No. No. No. Fucking no. Even STEAM was a hard sell back in the early 2000's when Sega practically forced it on us in order to play the new total war strategy games, and to get access to Half Life 2 and the Orange Box. Before Steam and the Orange Box, PC Gamers expected to have a hard copy of their game in CD form they could hold for all time. Steam managed to I HAVE AUTISM PLEASE LAUGH AT ME us off that through shear convenience and cross generation control. We could get a new computer and still have access to the same games we bought on Steam. So Steam was grudgingly accepted.

Enter EA Origin. EA did not want to play nice with others. So we had to to sign up with a seperate "Steam alternative to play EA games. Activision and Ubisoft followed suit with their own shit. I think my computer still has both programs installed on it? I guess? I only got origin to play dragon age and whatever the fuck Activision calls their shit to play Destiny. The password gatekeeping is annoying though so I have not logged into either in YEARS. I got what I wanted out of both and have no need to log into them ontop of everything else every fucking time I turn my fucking computer on.

Enter the Epic Store. I have never played fortnite. Ever. I don't have the Epic launcher. When total war forced me to install Steam I got pissed and tried to find a way to avoid it, and i destroyed EA origin with my Anti Virus software after I was done with Dragon Age Inquisition. Simply deleting it was too much of an honor, and since Symantec viewed Origin as a virus, I was happy to allow it to destroy the program with extreme prejudice and send the combat report to both EA and Symantec.

The long story short? PC Games are console neutral. Efforts to force exclusivity in the PC market are doomed to failure and the only reason Steam dominates is becuase it got their first and isn't doing shit at this point. More importantly though its annoying as fuck to have to set up separate accounts to play separate games. So go ahead and sell your stupid game for money to an audience of people who are playing fortnite, a FREE TO PLAY GAME!. I sure hope those people playing for free want to spend money on the exclusive pay to play game offered on their launcher. They won't btw. If your game is exclusive to a specific launcher on PC, just don't release it on PC at all. Save yourself the aggravation. Nobody is going to buy it. You would be better off trying to get Sony shekels for an exclusive PlayStation Launch. Having to log into Steam every day is aggravating enough. I am not adding another launcher on top of it. Especially after I went to the trouble to making sure my Anti-virus registered the Origin launcher as malware.

HeyItsHarveyMacClout

We also got cake
kiwifarms.net
Literally anyone who has ever complained about Steam ever needs to take a step back. You wanna know why Steam has gotten away with not updating its UI since 2010? You wanna know why it faced no major backlash against paid mods (except removing them)? You want to know why Valve hasn't done jack shit with their IPs for years?

It's because they're a monopoly. Steam as it stands is a monopoly. No one goes for any single other games platform when buying computer games other than Steam. That's a fucking problem. Steam charges a huge amount for charging for games compared to other industries. You wanna know how much your supermarket gets paid for hosting your favorite mini wheats? 1-3%. You wanna know how much steam makes per game sold? 30%. Steam takes a massive amount of the games profit and does jack shit with that wealth other than give it to investors. They take your money and does jackshit with it

Epic games comes in and tries to shake up that market, and you shit on them to oblivion. Yes I know they're not perfect. Yes, I don't expect them to be perfect. But we need competition in this market if we ever want things to improve.

You don't have to vote with your wallet if you don't like things, but for gods sake, if you fucking hate having only one games supplier to choose when buying something, choose something other than steam.

O

OB 946

kiwifarms.net
Literally anyone who has ever complained about Steam ever needs to take a step back. You wanna know why Steam has gotten away with not updating its UI since 2010? You wanna know why it faced no major backlash against paid mods (except removing them)? You want to know why Valve hasn't done jack shit with their IPs for years?

It's because they're a monopoly. Steam as it stands is a monopoly. No one goes for any single other games platform when buying computer games other than Steam. That's a fucking problem. Steam charges a huge amount for charging for games compared to other industries. You wanna know how much your supermarket gets paid for hosting your favorite mini wheats? 1-3%. You wanna know how much steam makes per game sold? 30%. Steam takes a massive amount of the games profit and does jack shit with that wealth other than give it to investors. They take your money and does jackshit with it

Epic games comes in and tries to shake up that market, and you shit on them to oblivion. Yes I know they're not perfect. Yes, I don't expect them to be perfect. But we need competition in this market if we ever want things to improve.

You don't have to vote with your wallet if you don't like things, but for gods sake, if you fucking hate having only one games supplier to choose when buying something, choose something other than steam.
Competition is fine, Chinese spyware is not.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
I will happilly break the Steam Monopoly when game publishers send me a fucking CD with an end user licence agreement giving me free use for the content of that hard copy CD in perpetuity.

Until the gaming industry gives me that I don't give one solitary shit which VERIFY YOUR EMAIL AND CREDIT CARD password blocked gate keeping store front is a monopoly. I either have control of my own gaming library or I have one spot to log into. From where I sit all the gaming companies can kiss Valves brass ring or kiss mine. And since they are not kissing my brass ring, they really only have the option of kissing valves. Trying to force ME to kiss the brass ring is stupid. I don't have to do shit. Its not like my PC is controlled like an XBONE or PS4. My options are not limited.

Terminus Est

Absolutely Extraterrestrial
kiwifarms.net

I'm all for competition. Competition is good for the market. But Chinknese Communist Party spyware is not what I call competition.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
Its time to talk about PC Gaming. The often forgotten "console" in the gaming industry. And the horrendous mistakes AAA game publishers are making in their approach to the "console".

Mistake 1. PC Gamers are willing to accept multiple accounts for their games.

No. No. No. Fucking no.

O

OB 946

kiwifarms.net
Metro Exodus is also the 5th most pirated game in PC gaming history, last I checked. Also Last Light might as well have been an indie title for all the press it got. Exodus was mega hyped and recieved a ton of awards. Last Light was still seen as some Russian shooter STALKER wannabe. Selling two and a half times more than Last Light means nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otis Boi

plushy Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net

666DEATHGAY

kiwifarms.net
I think people are being ridiculous about this epic games exclusivity. The same people have for years been saying that steam needs competition and that steam is overpriced and how they hate paid mods. Epic games launcher has enough downloads to be a competitor to steam and this should lead to cheaper games which is pretty damn good. I just wish Epic Games prioritized linux support like steam has.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
I think people are being ridiculous about this epic games exclusivity. The same people have for years been saying that steam needs competition and that steam is overpriced and how they hate paid mods. Epic games launcher has enough downloads to be a competitor to steam and this should lead to cheaper games which is pretty damn good. I just wish Epic Games prioritized linux support like steam has.
Okay, let's break it down: It's only a competitor because of the scummy tactics it does, while essentially it doesn't offer anything back to the consumers the prices on the Epic store aren't different from steams and it lacks plenty of features that Epic has stretched for least nine months to implement all. Only reason the Epic Launcher has download is because well Fornite at best at worst it's because some people stupidly cave in to Epic's hostage situation and buy games since they wanna play 'em on day one and don't really have consoles. Also if you honestly believe this shit will lead to cheaper games, I wanna ask what fantasy world do you inhabit. Because it sure as fuck doesn't sound like planet Earth.

Having said all this, honestly as much as I dislike Epic and all the scummy shit they pull I'll say people who review bomb stuff on steam aren't helping as they are making an argument for Epic's BS off "This is why we won't have user reviews",, when they can just save 'emselves the headache and wait for a year. Hell, by that point we'll get fully patched versions on steam with all the DLC's out.

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
I'm worried that if Epic succeeds we're going to see even more walled gardens.

José Mourinho

The Special One
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does Epic Games Store launcher spy on your Steam data and that's it? Does it share these info with the Chinese government?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Deadwaste

Clop

kiwifarms.net
Monopoly this and Valve is shit that, but the one thing that genuinely lets me be fine with their crap is the fact that I can keep owning games in my library that have been completely nuked off their store page for whatever idiotic licensing issues that still treat a consumer like a caged fucking animal. That tells me that I still have some kind of right to a product I bought.

I am prepared to go fully non-DRM when the inevitable nuke drops for whatever reason.

666DEATHGAY

kiwifarms.net
Only reason the Epic Launcher has download is because well Fornite at best at worst it's because some people stupidly cave in to Epic's hostage situation and buy games since they wanna play 'em on day one and don't really have consoles.
How are any of these bad or scummy practices? There's an alternate world where whatever epic is holding hostage is console exclusive just like so many games are windows exclusive even though windows is proprietary software. Downloading the epic games launcher for certain specific games isn't even that hard and gamers don't care about spyware when pretty much every anticheat is spyware and no one cares.

Also if you honestly believe this shit will lead to cheaper games, I wanna ask what fantasy world do you inhabit. Because it sure as fuck doesn't sound like planet Earth.
It happened to mobile net in my country when more actors came onto the market. Maybe the games industry is so cucked that the benefits of competition will go to publishers first but I think since these platforms are natural monopolies in the same way netflix is there will be a lot of loss-leading, epic games already did this when they released subnautica for free.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
How are any of these bad or scummy practices? There's an alternate world where whatever epic is holding hostage is console exclusive just like so many games are windows exclusive even though windows is proprietary software. Downloading the epic games launcher for certain specific games isn't even that hard and gamers don't care about spyware when pretty much every anticheat is spyware and no one cares.

It happened to mobile net in my country when more actors came onto the market. Maybe the games industry is so cucked that the benefits of competition will go to publishers first but I think since these platforms are natural monopolies in the same way netflix is there will be a lot of loss-leading, epic games already did this when they released subnautica for free.
And we have another Epic store apologist ladies and Germans. Also, yes this shit is scummy and bad, since you're essentially forcing people to use your shit launcher without any good reason, aside from the hostage situation, epic doesnt offer cheaper game prices, it doesnt have basic features or even say newer features. So, all they do is throw dump trucks at publishers while not bothering to improve shit.

Also, please lets not compare the mobile market to thr video game market, hell lets not even bring up netflix into this because Sweeny himself was called out on this bullshit statement.

666DEATHGAY

kiwifarms.net
And we have another Epic store apologist ladies and Germans. Also, yes this shit is scummy and bad, since you're essentially forcing people to use your shit launcher without any good reason, aside from the hostage situation, epic doesnt offer cheaper game prices, it doesnt have basic features or even say newer features. So, all they do is throw dump trucks at publishers while not bothering to improve shit.

Also, please lets not compare the mobile market to thr video game market, hell lets not even bring up netflix into this because Sweeny himself was called out on this bullshit statement.
Price is based on supply and demand. More competition means less profit margins. Even if the platforms only compete for publishing rights and therefore give devs more money the devs are still competing with eachother which will inevitably lead to higher cost higher quality games or cheaper games . This is econ 101. And the sad thing is all this whining comes from having to download a free client and signing up.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino