Epic Games General Thread - Its time to talk about what the AAA gaming industry does not understand about the PC console.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
lol, Shenmue III still getting shit on:

That's right, what is technically a glorified pre-order won't be receiving pre-order content. But don't worry, they say you can pay for it. Fucking hilarity. I just love how Karma bit Epic's ass off with this.

I think Kickstarting is going to die pretty soon, with both Epic and this fucking debacle happening.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Why the hell does this game has a Season Pass? Was this Deep Silver's doing? Those people paid for your game to be made, any and all pre-order content should be a given. Shenmue has never sold well. YsNet better hope this game does better because they're just pissing off the core group of people who actually give a shit about this and damn sure won't care about the next game you put out.

Also I'm highlighting this guy in particular because you can feel the smugness emanating from him
FireShot Capture 130 - Shenmue 3 Backers Will Not Get Pre-Order Content - Can Pay for it_ - wc...png

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Was it substantiated that the refund would be in epic bux? Would that actually pass muster if someone tried to start a class action?

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Seriously, a season pass for Shenmue out of all games? The flying fuck does it need to have a season pass for, Shenmue last I checked isn't something you can toss in extra DLC for.

BillyGoat2

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was it substantiated that the refund would be in epic bux? Would that actually pass muster if someone tried to start a class action?
As with the f76 bag event. If you accept epic credit then that would count to receiving an adequate refund and you would be ineligible for further recompense. You could deny it however, and request for cash refund instead.
That being said I’ve no idea on the state of refunds for this game.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Being obligated to give a refund and offering worthless scrip of no value instead is just fraud.

Reactions: GloJojo

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Seriously, a season pass for Shenmue out of all games? The flying fuck does it need to have a season pass for, Shenmue last I checked isn't something you can toss in extra DLC for.
Shenmue is the perfect game for a seaon pass/DLC/whatever. It was one of the first games to try and be something that could be described as "episodic" before consoles could really support the concept. Shenmue's story was (alleged) to be initially 21 chapters, with Shenmue 1 being Chapter 1, and Shenmue 2 being Chapters 3-5. They released a Manga that shored up chapter 2.

This apparently was cut down to 16 chapters later, to 11 chapters now (all alleged, from interviews going back to pre 1999). They would need this game and another game's worth of content to finish it (S3 being 6-8, S4 being 9-11), assuming they can mash it all in there. But, they could just relase them as episodes and seasons now that it's 2019; similar to the Telltale games.

However, considering the time that has passed between Shenmue 2 and 3 (which is 17 years so far) I would not buy anything from these people knowing that the story won't be complete until this game comes out, and then another game comes out and hoping they stop there.

Shenmue is also such garbage I'm not certain I would even play the "complete Shenmue remaster" if it existed and was given to me for free, much less buy two or three full $60 releases on the epic games store.

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
GMG is running a promotion where they give store credit and some free stuff if you pre-order one of three Epic Store games.
1562956504826.png

I haven't seen something like this from them in five years, even then it's so much more complicated than then which is amusing since it's Epic Store related games. Back then when you made the purchase you got the bonus, now you have to wait five days or so for the bonus and for the release if you want the $5 GMG credit.

Being obligated to give a refund and offering worthless scrip of no value instead is just fraud.
I don't suppose them offering to put it in your paypal instead of the account you purchased with would qualify, would it?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: AnOminous

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
  • Agree
Reactions: BrunoMattei

ZehnBoat

JUST FUCKING BAM
kiwifarms.net
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1150542563390238721
Tim Sweeney says "trans developer rights".

While also claiming that you have no right to buy wherever you want as a consumer, because it takes away from those freedoms given "rightfully" to the developers. No I'm not paraphrasing.
this is some ayn rand shit
yes, the developer has the right to release their product as they want
but the consumer has the right to buy as they see fit
and if the two don't meet, oh fucking well, the developer loses out on money
when you run a business, you try to make money
if you don't make compromises, you lose some of that money
and if you don't want to make compromises, it's fine, but don't bitch when the other side doesn't make compromises either.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1150542563390238721
Tim Sweeney says "trans developer rights".

While also claiming that you have no right to buy wherever you want as a consumer, because it takes away from those freedoms given "rightfully" to the developers. No I'm not paraphrasing.
If I was facepalming any harder, I'd be pushing my brain trough my nose...

• Informative
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Secret Asshole

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey you stupid fucking Nigger. You can release your game wherever you want. And I can say 'Go fuck yourself, I am taking my money elsewhere.'

This man seriously has NO business sense at all. Remember when I said Epic was bleeding money over exclusives?

Yeah. They got a 'nice chunk of change" for basically a zombie game mode. They're paying out the ass. They're not competition to Steam. And Steam is doing experimentation with its search and to help you find games to buy, called Steam labs. Meanwhile Epic is massively in the red and has no shopping cart.

Keep trying to suck cock for exclusives Sweeny. Your reputation is in the gutter as is, may as well be a gutter whore as well.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Hey you stupid fucking Nigger. You can release your game wherever you want. And I can say 'Go fuck yourself, I am taking my money elsewhere.'

This man seriously has NO business sense at all. Remember when I said Epic was bleeding money over exclusives?

Yeah. They got a 'nice chunk of change" for basically a zombie game mode. They're paying out the ass. They're not competition to Steam. And Steam is doing experimentation with its search and to help you find games to buy, called Steam labs. Meanwhile Epic is massively in the red and has no shopping cart.

Keep trying to suck cock for exclusives Sweeny. Your reputation is in the gutter as is, may as well be a gutter whore as well.
Ya know, I'll give the guys at Rebellion props, they didn't go the typical route of other dev's praising Epic and demonizing steam, they just pretty much said "Yeah, these fuckers are giving insane piles of cash." This does make me wonder if this will make Epic and Sweeny pissed off that, also you know we say they're massively in the red but I wouldn't mind seeing the actual data for their store to see just how badly or "well" it's doing.

Secret Asshole

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They'll never admit it. I don't think we'll ever really know how terrible its doing. The gaming press is for Epic simply because gamers hate it. And most devs won't spill. There's also probably NDA's involved. There's no way they'll admit it. Nor will Devs admit their games are doing trash. They got a whole bunch of cash, so the likelyhood of them badmouthing them is extremely low.

Imperialist #348

kiwifarms.net
They'll never admit it. I don't think we'll ever really know how terrible its doing. The gaming press is for Epic simply because gamers hate it. And most devs won't spill. There's also probably NDA's involved. There's no way they'll admit it. Nor will Devs admit their games are doing trash. They got a whole bunch of cash, so the likelyhood of them badmouthing them is extremely low.
i mean doesn't everyone start at square one, follow the money?. cause looking at it there seems to be money all over the fucking place, and they cant afford to do this forever. so heres hoping they slip up and we get a glimpse of how terrible it is.

Secret Asshole

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We got another Epic Exclusive:

I've never heard of it, but I guess if you like Tetris its Epic Game Store for you. Still snagging shit, no shopping cart. Crap features. I don't see many people moving for EGS for Tetris. I wonder what will happen when they finally run out of free games to give people.

i mean doesn't everyone start at square one, follow the money?. cause looking at it there seems to be money all over the fucking place, and they cant afford to do this forever. so heres hoping they slip up and we get a glimpse of how terrible it is.
Well, Epic's client is so universally garbage, you can't really follow it because it doesn't have Steam Spy or any sort of analytics. The only concrete number I know is that a dev for Pheonix Point accidentally spilled that 'if everyone refunded the game, we'd still be able to make it'. They raised 2.5 million, so they likely got matched that 2.5 million. For some indie devs, they probably get paid what they would have made on Steam so it doesn't really matter if everyone ignores or pirates it. The bag of money they get, plus whatever (minuscule) sales they get on Epic make up for it, then they just go back to Steam in a year and get more money.

The problem is no dev is outright saying how much their games are selling. We don't have an equivalency yet. What we have to wait for is when the year-end exclusives are up and then compare and contrast. That's the only way we're going to get relevant data. The problem is, most people will have ignored most of these games and already written them off. So even if we wait for a data comparison, the sales will likely be nowhere near what they were. Most games make their money in basically the first two or three weeks. In a year, Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be out. Metro Exodus is going to lose exclusivity in February while Cyberpunk comes out in April. Most people aren't going to pay 60 for Metro when Cyberpunk is around the corner. They'll see it as a year old game.

No doubt, Epic will use this to 'prove' that their exclusivity works because they sold more on their platform than these games that now released on Steam. My bet is Epic is going to try to use this to prove to developers that they get 'more sales' on Epic than on Steam. But its a false equivalency. People are going to see your game as a year old. Its not new or fresh and any hype for it has died down, replaced by any number of titles.

My guess is that they'll try to push this narrative hard, make devs do exclusivity on their own. The problem is I just don't think devs will do exclusivity on Epic by themselves unless Epic basically pays them what they would have earned on Steam. I think that's their plan with these exclusivity deals, because they really can't afford to pay for free games for everyone and then pay out the ass for exclusive titles, even small ones. I just don't think it will work. Most devs who see 'Epic Exclusive' see 'massive check' and without that massive check, their liability goes way up because of how hated the platform is. I mean, they only got BL3 for six months. Randy Pitchford is a greedy motherfucker. They couldn't even get it a year, how the hell much are they even paying for it? My guess is 7 figures, at least.

Read Dead 2 exclusivity they'd probably have to shell out half a billion and even then people would just buy it off the Rockstar Store. That's why they're doing so many Indie games. Tossing around 2 to 5 million per title isn't much to them, but I really can't imagine this strategy working without that massive carrot.

It is simply not possible to starve Steam. You have to pull their entire userbase away. Them going to you to buy one or two exclusives is just you re-couping your loss, not making profit. If they're still using Steam, it defeats the purpose. With GoG Galaxy 2.0, there's even less reason to go back to Epic besides the odd exclusive. So I fail to see this 'See our exclusives sell better on our store than on Steam! Go exclusive here!' without the massive amounts of money people are accustomed to.

Tags
None