Epic Games sues Fortnite cheater - Couldn't be a worse person

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

AnOminous

Only the kindest and friendliest of all Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's extremely interesting is that this would be a perfect case for a lawyer to break out the "our game is a live service" argument, but there's a very straightforward reason that Epic won't do that, and it's the same reason that the "you didn't buy a game, you bought a license to play a game" argument, seen commonly in PC game EULAs, have never stood up in court.

It depends on whether they screwed up and actually distributed copies of the original. Most mods these days literally are just that, though, some kind of method of modifying already existing files you have the right to access. You're not allowed to distribute the actual game files themselves, though, and if you do, that's infringement.

Cheats are a slightly different issue, in that game companies generally don't frown on non-malicious mods (with asshole exceptions) so long as they don't pretend to be official products, and people other than game companies also tend not to like them. That doesn't necessarily change the legality, though.

EULAs themselves, clickthroughs, shrinkwrap licenses and other such things are generally treated as valid contracts, which still doesn't mean that people can contract between themselves to change copyright law. It might be a reasonable EULA term to prohibit cheat mods, though, and treat it as a violation of the contract that nullifies the license to use the product.

It doesn't sound like they did that here. I'm too cheap to get the pdf of this right now since somebody else probably will in a day or so.

AnOminous

Only the kindest and friendliest of all Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
honestly i'd wanna just cheat in fortnite if it meant kids would get fed up enough of that game to stop playing it. fuck paying that much for a cheat tho.

Incidentally if the defendant is distributing any copyrighted code at all, i.e. a derivative work, the commercial nature of the activity weighs against a fair use finding. To the extent it impacts commercial demand for the plaintiff's product, it's more likely to be found infringing.

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
Lolololol just exit the game, nigga.

I never understood why people get so salty over people using aim bots and shit. It breaks up the monotony and, if it irritates you, just exit the game. Go to a different server. It’s not the end of the goddamn world.

A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
I hope Epic loses, seriously. Fortnite is a bad game, and needs to be full of cheaters.