Euro migrant crisis -

Satan

Simply the best, better then all the rest
kiwifarms.net
The numbers are too high, it's a logistical nightmare housing all these people. This would never have happened if Gadaffi hadn't been ousted. Getting rid of him caused this to become much, much worse then it would have been and used to be. In the old days, he'd just stop smugglers in their tracks and the flow of people to the Italian and Greek coastline wasn't so constant and overwhelming, ensuring far fewer deaths and allowing coast guards to pick more people up alive.

The long term solution is making the countries these people come from less of a war-torn shithole, which I don't see happening anytime soon. The short term solution would be to prevent more people from even getting on those boats in the first place. It's impossible to stop all of them, though.

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The numbers are too high, it's a logistical nightmare housing all these people.
The EU is trying to come up with a system to redistribute refugees out of Greek and Italian centers (which are massively overwhelmed) and into other countries, but several other European countries are pushing back against that.

The long term solution is making the countries these people come from less of a war-torn shithole, which I don't see happening anytime soon.
Agreed.

The short term solution would be to prevent people from even getting on those boats in the first place. It's impossible to stop all of them, though.
The short term solution is to keep them in countries where they face almost certain persecution, deprivation and violence, then.

This would never have happened if Gadaffi hadn't been ousted. Getting rid of him caused this to become much, much worse then it would have been and used to be.
A significant number of the refugees are Syrian, and that conflict is (or at least began as) a civil uprising. But quite a few conflicts in the Middle East are just proxy wars at this point.

Bork Laser

#borked
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The short term solution is to keep them in countries where they face almost certain persecution, deprivation and violence, then.
I mean fuck, I feel like an asshole for saying this but that fucking sucks for them. I know its not their fault and and I know any of us would do the same thing in there situation but a country has to think of its needs first and its citizens first. If they can't support the influx of migrants than I believe thats their right to refuse entry. If they just let them all in without any planning or idea, those migrants will be no better on the streets or slums of whatever country they end up in.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And right on cue, a picture of a dead infant is now circulating around the net and everyone's screaming 'Let them all in'.

Sure, let them in, but they can shack up with you!
The media portrayal has been a little odd, I don't want to sound like an asshole but there seems to be a disproportionate number of young working age men which makes it look there are also a lot of economic migrants too.

The thing that seems odd to me though is the media (Which includes reputable services like the BBC) seem to be completely ignoring the fact the refugees should be applying to the first safe country they get to and are instead portraying them as brave for breaking the law so they can get to the country they want to get to (The refugee in question I was watching was an attractive young women in her 20's who didn't want to apply for immigration status in a European country and was making her way to Sweden).

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The media portrayal has been a little odd, I don't want to sound like an asshole but there seems to be a disproportionate number of young working age men which makes it look there are also a lot of economic migrants too.
Several news outlets have apparently stopped using the term "migrant" in favour of "refugee", as if the lines between economic migrants and refugees weren't blurry anyway, because they insist that the "majority" of them must be refugee seekers. Grinds my gears.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately, yes.

And this actually violates international law, which by numerous treaties, covenants, and customary practice, actually requires all nations to protect the rights of stateless citizens, those facing torture, genocide, and some other classes of violence.

However, any nation which made itself the "go-to" nation for immigrants would immediately be flooded with those excluded by every other nation, that is, would be punished for that decision.

The result is a classic "race to the bottom" as each participant in this game opts for the most selfish option.

Whatisgoingon

Delgado Bee, Pronouns are Hoss and Hoss-self
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Several news outlets have apparently stopped using the term "migrant" in favour of "refugee", as if the lines between economic migrants and refugees weren't blurry anyway, because they insist that the "majority" of them must be refugee seekers. Grinds my gears.
That's way over the top PC. They are migrants, as they are migrating from one country to another. That's literally what the word means, and I don't know how that would offend someone.

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's way over the top PC. They are migrants, as they are migrating from one country to another. That's literally what the word means, and I don't know how that would offend someone.
I always understood the term 'migrant' to generically refer to anyone who moves from one country to another, while 'refugee' obviously has more specific connotations.

I think they should be allowed refugee status only if they convert to Christianity and denounce Islam.
You and Slovakia.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino