Cultcow EvaXephon / Yanderedev / Alex Mahan / Alexander Stuart Mahan - Developer of Yandere Simulator with a face only a mother could love

What will happen to Yansim?

• Alex works less and less on his game as he rides out his tugboat

Votes: 367 49.7%
  • Alex drops the game and becomes a fulltime streamer

Votes: 139 18.8%
  • Alex opens up a Kickstarter that will fail because of gremlins (no refunds)

Votes: 174 23.5%
  • Alex adds more useless features asking for more money

Votes: 317 42.9%
  • Alex goes full skitzo drawing crayon comics about his battles with gremlins

Votes: 92 12.4%
  • Alex takes all the criticism to heart and improve his life

Votes: 15 2.0%
  • Alex will troon out becoming Alexia

Votes: 186 25.2%
  • Alex does a flip

Votes: 114 15.4%

• Total voters

Logarithm

kiwifarms.net
You could argue he didn't even really have an original idea in the first place. Everything is based off of someone else's ideas/works, originally Hitman but swallowing up a bunch of other games/animes/other weeb shit. The one concept you might be able to genuinely attribute to Alex is also one of the biggest roadblocks to the project, the panty shot currency thing. And even then, the only reason it manages to be original is because no other game dev was dumb enough to try and include that as a mechanic for obvious reasons. Hell, there might even be an argument that basic concept was lifted from Yakuza 4/5 where you got new moves by photographing stuff, it was just made pervier by Alex.
To be fair, making a successful or 'good', whatever that means, game isn't necessarily about being original. Just because an idea's been done before doesn't mean it's been done in a specific way, or combined with other ideas in specific ways, or in a specific context, etc. In the right hands I think Yandere Simulator could actually be a very successful project. It's generated a ton of interest even with progress as slow as it's been.

Now, Alex is not the person to make Yandere Simulator. Whatever he's contributed, he's painfully limited by his own lack of talent as a programmer and a developer, as well as terrible people skills, and his ego appears to be too large to allow him to see his own limitations.

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, making a successful or 'good', whatever that means, game isn't necessarily about being original. Just because an idea's been done before doesn't mean it's been done in a specific way, or combined with other ideas in specific ways, or in a specific context, etc. In the right hands I think Yandere Simulator could actually be a very successful project. It's generated a ton of interest even with progress as slow as it's been.

Now, Alex is not the person to make Yandere Simulator. Whatever he's contributed, he's painfully limited by his own lack of talent as a programmer and a developer, as well as terrible people skills, and his ego appears to be too large to allow him to see his own limitations.
That's fair, and given the sheer number of games out there there's no shortage of game X you can argue is like game Y. Alex's lack of originality though has more to do with him not even being particularly creative. He's not trying to take something that was done in a creative way before and adding a new twist or combining it with other mechanics to make a good product. He's just directly taking something without understanding why it worked in the first place because it just happens to be in the latest game he was playing or show he was watching.

I'll give you that the game has generated a lot of interest, but I don't think that means it could be a successful project. The majority of fan interest is more about people's headcannons for the character and less about the gameplay. I'd compare it to the number of Overwatch fans who are surprisingly passionate about the world/characters but don't actually own the game.

I've mentioned it before and don't want to throw out a wall of text, but I think Yansim is one of those projects that is great on paper, but falls apart when you actually try and make it. Even with a competent coder, it is a lackluster stealth game that becomes very repetitive because it takes place in a single location. You can make a few map tweaks between rivals to make things harder, but there's still only so much you can do. Going back to the Overwatch comparison, this is where the game suffers, because unlike Overwatch, the game can't rely on drawing in people who are just looking for a fun multiplayer shooter to play because the gameplay is lacking. The best you can really say is it's fun to mess around for a little bit, maybe a few hours if we're being particularly generous. I think that's why a lot of the similar fan projects haven't really gotten off the ground. It sounds like those teams care more about the project than Alex, but at the end of the day, there's just not a lot you can do with the idea.

I think there's two things people like about the idea of Yansim, having to cover your tracks in a murder sim and having a social stealth game. And these are interesting ideas that could work in a game, but that game is not Yansim. I'd even argue that while both are good ideas, they don't really mesh well. A social stealth game where you ruin someone's reputation could potentially be fun, but a game like that shouldn't have any violence options whatsoever and would rely heavily on writing and creating social challenges. Stealth options could still potentially exist, breaking into someone's room to steal a cellphone or get their computer to send out fake emails or whatever, learn someone's schedule etc. A murder sim where you have to take care of the crime scene is more straight forward because that's basically just adding another layer to a game like Hitman. Maybe even do something where you just play a "cleaner" and have to react to whatever the assassin team you're working with decides to do. Either way, neither of those ideas are forefront in Yansim.

*Quick edit* I will try and give Alex some credit where it is due. I think some of his current ideas could work better under a different medium, maybe a dark humor anime or something along those lines. It would also appeal more to his fanbase which are more interested in the lore/characters and the like.

Last edited:

buymygame

kiwifarms.net
What about going back to the classic struct?
That could help reduce the garbage collection, but many abuse the gc.

Most inexperienced people tend to not really care about the programming aspect of the game and will slap everything into a single function. If whatever method they're using generates the expected outcome they don't really care about making it easier for themselves or their computer.

I've seen unity games made by people, where in every frame, they search through all the objects in the scene to find the main camera, when they could search for it once and store the camera in a local variable.

Last edited:

grembloartshow

kiwifarms.net
I've seen unity games made by people, where in every frame, they search through all the objects in the scene to find the main camera, when they could search for it once and store the camera in a local variable.
There is actually a second video also:
Maybe not the camera, since that and the sky box is probably linked to Ayano, but this video says that something similar is happening with every other student, where each student has the code for all students and it decides which student they are every frame.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Can someone post the video summery? I don't feel like suffering today
Incompetent Alex does not understand vidya, half pays attention to it, and berates his virtual horse because it's not a hoverboard and it trips over things. He ends it with exploding bombs by the horse and attempting to set it ablaze.

AbduluCthuluZulu

By the power of outdated memes
kiwifarms.net
Incompetent Alex does not understand vidya, half pays attention to it, and berates his virtual horse because it's not a hoverboard and it trips over things. He ends it with exploding bombs by the horse and attempting to set it ablaze.
For a guy who boasts of how serious and realistic his game is, he sure hates when his horse acts realistically.

Reactions: Twisted Tsuki

Wannock

One Knock Life™
kiwifarms.net
The guy who made the two previous code audit videos made a new one where he shows how to disassemble and modify the code (Highlight at 8:55, triggers all the easter eggs in the game)

Alex, if you ever read this; Do the right thing and pause the recurring pleadges on your Patreon until you figure out how to sort out the fucking code, you got the resources to hire someone to help you with that.
Or let someone else take over the game, cause this shit's beyond broken af yo.

buymygame

kiwifarms.net
Or let someone else take over the game, cause this shit's beyond broken af yo.
Did you forget that tinyBuild was working on the game at some point and either tinyBuild or Alex broke up the partnership.

While tinyBuild was making their version, alex wanted to work on his version at the same time to keep people interested.

unholybutter

jalapeño cheetos
kiwifarms.net
When he dropped working with TinyBuild, that’s when I knew the game would just go downhill from there. Without another person to work on the game with him, I’m sure it’ll turn to shit with his equally shitty programming.

Logarithm

kiwifarms.net
When he dropped working with TinyBuild, that’s when I knew the game would just go downhill from there. Without another person to work on the game with him, I’m sure it’ll turn to shit with his equally shitty programming.
That was pretty much the point where I knew this project was doomed. Before that I really only paid cursory attention, watching the videos he put out once in a while to see where the game was (supposedly) at, but when I heard he had parted ways with TinyBuild and it was because he didn't like the way they were rewriting the engine...I'm not a fan of any managed language but C# is miles better than fucking javascript - and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what the game is written in, I believe - and Alex basically telling a real programming to fuck off so he can keep using his obvious monstrosity of an engine out of laziness made it very obvious where the project was going.

Never support a patreon for an in-development game, kids. At best you'll spend way more money on it than you would if you bought it at release. At worst you'll end up subsidizing the developer's lifestyle for years as progress slows down until it stops altogether. It should be obvious by now where YanSim is going.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino