Cultcow EvaXephon / Yanderedev / Alex Mahan / Alexander Stuart Mahan - Developer of Osana from 2014 till the sun fucking explodes

What will happen to Yansim?

• Alex works less and less on his game as he rides out his tugboat

Votes: 532 46.8%
  • Alex drops the game and becomes a fulltime streamer

Votes: 185 16.3%
  • Alex opens up a Kickstarter that will fail because of gremlins (no refunds)

Votes: 250 22.0%
  • Alex adds more useless features asking for more money

Votes: 480 42.2%
  • Alex goes full skitzo drawing crayon comics about his battles with gremlins

Votes: 130 11.4%
  • Alex takes all the criticism to heart and improve his life

Votes: 25 2.2%
  • Alex will troon out becoming Alexia

Votes: 307 27.0%
  • Alex does a flip

Votes: 193 17.0%

• Total voters

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
Many games implement tutorials as a hint system, but they always try to pop up a message before the player does something, not after.
I don't know if it will work in YS though. Tons of YS mechanics are finicky Rube-Goldberg machines and you need to properly learn them to be able to utilize them correctly. Going into the game blindly without spoilers will always lead to failure.

For example, consider this kind of message: "You picked up a katana! To attack, press E." In RPGs or action-adventure games, this is usually all you need to know. In YS, using a katana forces the player to commence a complicated procedure of destroying all the evidence and potentially also eliminating the witnesses. So either you need to expand the original message to explain the consequences before the player kills someone, but that becomes spoilers and also TL;DR, or you can add an additional message after murder: "It seems people bleed when stabbed. New tasks: 1. Find a mop to clean up the blood. 2. Dispose of the body." In fact, a checklist-driven tutorial would be the optimal solution given this game's situation, but would obviously lead to what you said: player learning about a fuckup after the fact.

Based of the latest Jay's video, auto-attack happens only if you have your weapon out. If you hide your weapon, you can try restoring your sanity by laughing or stalking senpai.
I'll compare it with the game he most heavily rips off, Hitman. Specifically Hitman 2016.

Murder for hire is a complex process that takes many stages, so how does Hitman handle it? They set their tutorial during the actual training/final examination of the titular Hitman by the shadowy organization that employs him.

All tutorials take place in a pretend enviornment, re-enacting previous hits the agency in question had carried out. All the people and victims are employees of the agency, and the buildings are elaborate mock ups made of plywood and other basic materials, giving a thematic reason for handholding that gives flavor to the entire level.

The first mission is entirely handheld step by step. Teaching you the basics of murder, disguises, disposing of bodies, staying undetected etc. The second mission is the exact same mission as the first one, but this time you have the freedom to try things yourself. The third and final training mission is a large scale level that is different from the first one, with multiple long winded methods to accomplish your goals, and in a way, despite still being set in a training environment, forms the first level of the game proper.

The intent is to slowly ease new players into the game, while keeping it from getting boring for returning players. Now compare that to "you fucked up" pop up boxes.

DieselBoogaloo

kiwifarms.net
I'll compare it with the game he most heavily rips off, Hitman. Specifically Hitman 2016.

Murder for hire is a complex process that takes many stages, so how does Hitman handle it? They set their tutorial during the actual training/final examination of the titular Hitman by the shadowy organization that employs him.

All tutorials take place in a pretend enviornment, re-enacting previous hits the agency in question had carried out. All the people and victims are employees of the agency, and the buildings are elaborate mock ups made of plywood and other basic materials, giving a thematic reason for handholding that gives flavor to the entire level.

The first mission is entirely handheld step by step. Teaching you the basics of murder, disguises, disposing of bodies, staying undetected etc. The second mission is the exact same mission as the first one, but this time you have the freedom to try things yourself. The third and final training mission is a large scale level that is different from the first one, with multiple long winded methods to accomplish your goals, and in a way, despite still being set in a training environment, forms the first level of the game proper.

The intent is to slowly ease new players into the game, while keeping it from getting boring for returning players. Now compare that to "you fucked up" pop up boxes.
This sounds reasonable.
This also sounds like a more elaborate murder stage play rehearsal (with props and actors and stuff) and Alex was probably "inspired by" (read: stole) it, but as he said himself, he's "too busy" (read: can't be arsed) to implement it, so we won't see it in YS.

Solzhenitsyn

no dig just pet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doesn't Amnesia have a similar mechanic as well?
Yes, staying in the dark too long causes the main character to start having audio and visual hallucinations, starts talking to himself, and changes a few of the environments. Sanity mechanics have been in vidya for quite a while, so it's probably difficult to say for certain which game Alex got his "inspirations" from.

TotallyAChick

I don't lift out of principle.
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I think finishing the game is pointless, but he should do it anyway, because that's the value he promised to provide for the money he received.

Why pointless? I'm not a tech savvy kiwi (most I can manage are visual novels) so take this with a grain of salt, but I think he failed for many reasons, not just poor technical skills. Main problems in my opinion are: Inability to prioritize, bad time management (obvious), stupid way of game promotion, money budgeting and lack of self criticism and knowledge of his own weaknesses.

Weirdly enough, I think things like programming skills and shitty characters are not enough to cause his downfall- we know he had a chance to have his code fixed. Characters are important, but I think they're connected to the main story or at least influenced by it- and the story could be fixed by not having ill-fitting bits from other games put into it (priorities-> focus on making the core, fixing the core, then adding the rest). Or having game bugs change the lore. I'm looking at you, metal detectors.

The MAIN issue I have with this crap is: Even IF the game gets finished, which it probably won't, no one is going to play it. Why should anyone? YT videos he makes are redundant and always show every new feature. Why's that? YanDev made the game confusing. He knows how to play, but it's not super obvious to other people- so he's making videos to demonstrate it. And that's not great, because by the time solar system ceases to exist, we will know everything about the game; no surprises, mechanics will have been explored by the youtuber army and the story itself is not good enough for people to come back to.

I don't think he can fix this now, as his way of communicating with fans has fucked this up from the early stage. Even so, I'll give my few cents on what I think he should have done:
- Full videos of playing should have been recorded only when YanSim was a literal sandbox.

- The mechanics and main structure should have been planned first WITH PEOPLE PLAYING in mind -> game play more intuitive

- Once the main game play is more intuitive- need to make long videos will be gone

- From then on (switch from the sandbox to a game with normal 3D environment) updates should only show bits without spoiling shit. For example showing a small clip of background, character models updated from assets to original moment (I make myself laugh) or hints at some mechanics. But not actually showing everything.

- Not releasing more than the sandbox. If he worked faster, the hype wouldn't die that easily. Plus, if he REALLY wanted to have kids playing in the sand, he could add those stupid easter eggs into the sandbox, not the main game. This would prevent youtubers from exploring everything there is to his game. Why does he think YS challenges are a thing? There's nothing else to do<- everything has been explored.

- Not being a lazy, stubborn piece of shit and having that game company fix his code. Also paying someone to model characters because those assets are generic piece of crap.

-profit

I gave up on the game precisely because I think the main problem can't be fixed. I'm probably going to look for an alternative... (Also, no hate, but does anyone else think the new Watashi no Mono model is ugly as fuck? Reminds me of the game Monokuma had created in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.)

gaFDA

Annoying Spectator
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I think finishing the game is pointless, but he should do it anyway, because that's the value he promised to provide for the money he received.

Why pointless? I'm not a tech savvy kiwi (most I can manage are visual novels) so take this with a grain of salt, but I think he failed for many reasons, not just poor technical skills. Main problems in my opinion are: Inability to prioritize, bad time management (obvious), stupid way of game promotion, money budgeting and lack of self criticism and knowledge of his own weaknesses.

Weirdly enough, I think things like programming skills and shitty characters are not enough to cause his downfall- we know he had a chance to have his code fixed. Characters are important, but I think they're connected to the main story or at least influenced by it- and the story could be fixed by not having ill-fitting bits from other games put into it (priorities-> focus on making the core, fixing the core, then adding the rest). Or having game bugs change the lore. I'm looking at you, metal detectors.

The MAIN issue I have with this crap is: Even IF the game gets finished, which it probably won't, no one is going to play it. Why should anyone? YT videos he makes are redundant and always show every new feature. Why's that? YanDev made the game confusing. He knows how to play, but it's not super obvious to other people- so he's making videos to demonstrate it. And that's not great, because by the time solar system ceases to exist, we will know everything about the game; no surprises, mechanics will have been explored by the youtuber army and the story itself is not good enough for people to come back to.

I don't think he can fix this now, as his way of communicating with fans has fucked this up from the early stage. Even so, I'll give my few cents on what I think he should have done:
- Full videos of playing should have been recorded only when YanSim was a literal sandbox.

- The mechanics and main structure should have been planned first WITH PEOPLE PLAYING in mind -> game play more intuitive

- Once the main game play is more intuitive- need to make long videos will be gone

- From then on (switch from the sandbox to a game with normal 3D environment) updates should only show bits without spoiling shit. For example showing a small clip of background, character models updated from assets to original moment (I make myself laugh) or hints at some mechanics. But not actually showing everything.

- Not releasing more than the sandbox. If he worked faster, the hype wouldn't die that easily. Plus, if he REALLY wanted to have kids playing in the sand, he could add those stupid easter eggs into the sandbox, not the main game. This would prevent youtubers from exploring everything there is to his game. Why does he think YS challenges are a thing? There's nothing else to do<- everything has been explored.

- Not being a lazy, stubborn piece of shit and having that game company fix his code. Also paying someone to model characters because those assets are generic piece of crap.

-profit

I gave up on the game precisely because I think the main problem can't be fixed. I'm probably going to look for an alternative... (Also, no hate, but does anyone else think the new Watashi no Mono model is ugly as fuck? Reminds me of the game Monokuma had created in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.)
I remember a long time ago when I still liked the game, I watched one of his videos (can't remember which one) and I just thought to myself: "Why are you telling me how to play the newest update?" He is making a game, he would enjoy, not what is fun anymore.

Ido

lizard noises
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know you can change your hair and stuff but wouldnt it be super obvious if the girl who was wearing the mask was one of the only black haired girls (with a ponytail) in a school of rainbow hair? Senpai shouldn't even need to fucking take off the mask to know who it was, all he'd need to do is be around her when she was getting visibly flustered over him to connect it...

Honestly I feel like these changesswill be game breaking rather than anything because if someone catches you And you dont kill them they'll tell. But if you do kill them all DNA will just point to you anyways. And if you destroy a corpses phone the Popo are gonna know to look there dumbass.

TotallyAChick

I don't lift out of principle.
kiwifarms.net
I remember a long time ago when I still liked the game, I watched one of his videos (can't remember which one) and I just thought to myself: "Why are you telling me how to play the newest update?" He is making a game, he would enjoy, not what is fun anymore.
Exactly. He likes playing it, so he doesn't care other don't- as long as he still gets money. But playing through every update just spoils everything.

Bad Headspace

Y e a h
kiwifarms.net
I don't dig the concept, but I wonder if his game will ever be finished considering prolonging the game and making it have a feature creep is his main income. I don't really see the motivating factors for actually delivering a finished game.

allyka

muh thin privilege
kiwifarms.net
Nearly a year has passed since his rather large subreddit flipout, and nothing has changed. His game's still stuck in hell as he collects his ever declining pension.

By the look of it, either he half-asses the thing and shits it out in a few years, or he'll ride his sinking ship until his death. Both seem pretty bleak.

CherryBlossomTree

kiwifarms.net
I don't dig the concept, but I wonder if his game will ever be finished considering prolonging the game and making it have a feature creep is his main income. I don't really see the motivating factors for actually delivering a finished game.
I feel like the most we're gonna get is Osana and then yandere dev will try to vanish off the internet.

Solzhenitsyn

no dig just pet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think we shouldn't ignore the appeal of being an e-celeb for people who might have not much going on in their lives. That attention is addictive.
Plus he still makes a decent income from streaming. The dude is basically unemployable at this point, it's probably his only source of shekels that don't come from Daddy.

• Feels
Reactions: Bad Headspace

zFlarex

kiwifarms.net
Blah, blah - new update. It's mostly bug fixes but...

YandereDev had a volunteer go work on adding a Discord-knockoff called "Yancord".
You meet a person called "Selene2005" who likes the Moonlit Warrior Selene franchise.
The conversations end up becoming long hypothetical situations about judging criminals and morality of killing them.
Near the end "Selene2005" goes off into the deep end and rambles about "evil" she needs to go think.

Now for the people in the back who still haven't noticed:
  • Moonlit Warrior.
  • Selene is the goddess of the moon in Greek mythology the Roman equivalent being "Luna".

TL;DR: He's covertly shilling Lunar Scythe in Yandere Simulator.

Yandere Simulator Blog - May 15th Bug-Fixing Build said:
... it concerns something that won't happen until after Yandere Simulator’s story has ended ...
LunarDev - 2024?

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino