Cultcow EvaXephon / Yanderedev / Alex Mahan / Alexander Stuart Mahan - Developer of Osana from 2014 till the sun fucking explodes

What will happen to Yansim?

• Alex works less and less on his game as he rides out his tugboat

Votes: 744 45.0%
  • Alex drops the game and becomes a fulltime streamer

Votes: 255 15.4%
  • Alex opens up a Kickstarter that will fail because of gremlins (no refunds)

Votes: 331 20.0%
  • Alex adds more useless features asking for more money

Votes: 661 39.9%
  • Alex goes full skitzo drawing crayon comics about his battles with gremlins

Votes: 183 11.1%
  • Alex takes all the criticism to heart and improve his life

Votes: 32 1.9%
  • Alex will troon out becoming Alexia

Votes: 459 27.7%
  • Alex does a flip

Votes: 298 18.0%

• Total voters

Lexi62

kiwifarms.net
I vaguely remember him stating somewhere that Osana only has a bodyguard for the demo in order to force the player to discover more mechanics, but in the full game she wouldn't have one. That being said I don't remember where it was stated so maybe I'm wrong.
That concept is still really weird though. Why would she have a bodygaurd in the demo? He has Info Chan to give out what the different eliminations are. And from the texts it seems like Info Chan hates Osana quite a bit.

In fact here. I've fixed his issue as a tutorial rival by treating her like an actual tutorial. Info Chan hates her and as the character she already knows about a lot of the students if not all of them. So it would make sense that she knows Osanas schedule. Maybe Osana used to bully Info a lot in middle school for some reason. So at the start you have two options. Info says something like "look I'll even help you out here. I already know about Osanas schedule. And I've been plotting this for quite some time. This first plot will be for free, but anyone who may get in your way in the future you'll need to pay for." And then you can choose between all the different possible eliminations. Info gives you Osanas schedule which you can check on your phone at any time. And boom! Different ways to try out all the different eliminations. She's still easy as as tutorial rival, but there will still be a challenge because the school is populated so you still need to get around them.

Then future rivals, you would get to watch them the first couple of days. Only way to get them expelled would to start at the beginning of the week, or make the issues way more serious so they can get expelled faster. Otherwise you get to learn their schedule on your own and get rid of them over time. Also Japanese schools go all the way to Saturday, not Friday. So change that and you have an extra day to eliminate the rival.

laserbender

kiwifarms.net
At this point I have a very faint feeling that the guy is actually taking the piss out of the game. Saying "the game won't be finished for at least a couple more years" about a game that's been in development for 6 years now and still doesn't have an end goal of any kind seems WAY too on the nose. "Just come back later and play it when it's done" is a good quote too, seeing as the game will never be finished.
Nah, just look at Star Citizen fanboys. These kind of arguments are literally their bread and butter. And SC has scammed hundreds of millions of dollars, which makes Mahan look OK.

Ligendori Namain Skulizu

if name == "YandereDev" { productivity = 0; }
kiwifarms.net
Alex is salty that people might eliminate the first rival easily... even though she should be the easiest one. Shouldn't the gang leader girl or the class president be the one with bodyguards/other characters who could interfere?

Of course this is just symptom of him constantly adding any feature that pops into his head before even finishing the core gameplay loop.
It's almost as if Osana was the final rival...

Cast Away

People don't like mirrors, they like filters.
kiwifarms.net
It's probably going to be the final finished rival, if that.
An unconfirmed account claiming to be RockVonCleveland visited the thread a couple hundred pages back, and he brought up some interesting points about what Alex is trying to do at this current stage

- He's going to finish and implement Osana (:optimistic:). At that point, he'll stop development of the game and try to pitch the game as a "vertical slice" and try to scam money crowdfund/raise money with it. This makes sense as he's clearly tired of developing the game and he's probably going to want get this weight off his shoulders.
- If that doesn't work, he'll then basically copy/paste all rivals (and with his coding abilities they'll be the exact same buggy clone of Osana). He'll try to then sell this as a finished product with a rinse and repeat the second part of phase 1 to "improve it."
- Neck himself after his cash runs dry. (Yes I made the third point up but who knows what he'll do when that happens.)

José Mourinho

The Special One
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still don't get why Osana needs a fucking unbeatable bodyguard with her 24/7. This is literally the first rival. Ensuring there's more steps you need to take in order to isolate her from crowds and then let the player get creative seems way more fitting for the first rival. What's the point of adding so many elimination methods when defeating the rivals will only allow you to explore maybe 2 options? What have all these months of work lead up to? Why does Alex have chronic brain rot?
I recall Alex saying before in an unrelated video that he wants to make the game harder (which could explain why he wanted to make killing Osana difficult), which is fine, but how is this going to attract the general audience to play it?

What is his general audience to begin with? Hardcore gaming indie anime fans? That would be a pretty niche small audience. Even so, making the game difficult with close to zero tutorials would be frustrating to even

An unconfirmed account claiming to be RockVonCleveland visited the thread a couple hundred pages back, and he brought up some interesting points about what Alex is trying to do at this current stage

- He's going to finish and implement Osana (:optimistic:). At that point, he'll stop development of the game and try to pitch the game as a "vertical slice" and try to scam money crowdfund/raise money with it. This makes sense as he's clearly tired of developing the game and he's probably going to want get this weight off his shoulders.
- If that doesn't work, he'll then basically copy/paste all rivals (and with his coding abilities they'll be the exact same buggy clone of Osana). He'll try to then sell this as a finished product with a rinse and repeat the second part of phase 1 to "improve it."
- Neck himself after his cash runs dry. (Yes I made the third point up but who knows what he'll do when that happens.)
The first step is expected, but if the crowdfunding is unsuccessful (given how his popularity is dwindling, it's less likely to be successful unless he's asking for pretty small amount), doing the same old copypaste would release the game faster but the quality would be extremely terrible for a game with no deadlines at all.

The Cum Consumer

kiwifarms.net
From what I've seen, it's already like that. The game's system reqs are too damn high, so I've seen many people say things like "I love this game, although I haven't played it in years". His community really doesn't give a damn.
I decided to go check out the game for myself but apparently the game is only available for Windows. Isn't Unity meant to be multi-platform? All the stuff I could find implies that Unity more or less natively runs the game on any platform, although it might have some issues with mobile depending on your code. Is Alex clinically exceptional or is his spaghetti too much for Unity to handle?

Banworld

kiwifarms.net
I decided to go check out the game for myself but apparently the game is only available for Windows. Isn't Unity meant to be multi-platform? All the stuff I could find implies that Unity more or less natively runs the game on any platform, although it might have some issues with mobile depending on your code. Is Alex clinically exceptional or is his spaghetti too much for Unity to handle?
I've had this thought as well, I wonder if it'd be possible by using dnSpy to decompile the code, to then put the code in Unity and export for Linux/Mac.

But yes, the game only runs on Windows right now, and I haven't seen any reason for that in the code.

Catgirls are Love

Make Catgirls Purr Again
kiwifarms.net
I'd assume it's a case of at least one of the following:
A) Alex didn't include the Mac Support module in his Unity install. (I assume that having a Mac is not required to build a Mac Version)
A2) Alex is using a version of Unity that doesn't like Macs Nevermind, Unity appears to have supported MacOSX from its inception.
B) Alex doesn't have a Mac to test a Mac build to make sure it's working properly so why bother building and releasing a build he can't play/test (Yes yes, I know; the idea of Alex considering quality and testing runs against everything he does).
C) Alex doesn't realize that yes, people can play games on Macs too so why bother with a Mac build, or not enough of his fanbase is clamoring for a Mac build so why bother.

SomewhatNormal

kiwifarms.net
Anyway, that's all I have to say. I guess I'll just log off and come back on in two years to complain about how Osana still isn't in the game, but thank the Lord that Ayano can now make her breasts explode. Bye
WELP

[Edit because I don't want to double post]

Finding that old post made me realize that I've been posting on this thread since page 78 while some people have been here since day one and all we have to show for it is some bullshit.

Last edited:

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
That's just YanDev's shitty writing for you. He eather makes giant edgy Marry Sue-types like Ayano, her mom, Info-chan or one-dimentional single gimmick characters with "Dark secreet ow the edge" sauce on top. Not to mention charcters who were stolen from better source materials.

I honestly wanted to make a little character breakdown, but it's not really worth it since they all can be placed somewhere in theese categories.
The only thing barely worth mentioning is the way he names characters, but agaim it's ether Engrish word split in two or just two simple Japaneese words, and both of theese just describe characters gimmick. Bravo, Yandere Dev, that's some "Reldnahc Notsew Naitsirhc" level of subtle naming there.
I've made characters with more depth in fucking Rimworld.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
WELP

[Edit because I don't want to double post]

Finding that old post made me realize that I've been posting on this thread since page 78 while some people have been here since day one and all we have to show for it is some bullshit.
I skip read this thread regularly and I can barely find any new funniness out of this lazy gremlin tbh.

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
I've had this thought as well, I wonder if it'd be possible by using dnSpy to decompile the code, to then put the code in Unity and export for Linux/Mac.
Unity projects are made up of multiple scene files and compressed archives of assets. Imagine a scene as something like a PDF with a bunch of external images embedded in it. A PDF decompiler can find the images and blocks of text and pull them out, but it usually doesn't bother to reconstruct the original document's formatting, where the images were embedded, what order, and stuff like that. This is the same situation with unity rippers and decompilers : We can get the assets and scripts, but not the layer of glue that hooks them together. Most tools don't even try to decompile scene files because similar to Photoshop unity likes to massively change the format every major release.

There's also the fact that a lot of the common third-party libraries in Unity are C/C++ and distributed in binary format and require specific builds per platform, so if any of those were involved you'd need to find the mac version, if one even exists.

Lexi62

kiwifarms.net
Glad to see you're hard at work on Osana, Alex. The sad part is, he probably does think that this "worldbuilding" counts as work.
View attachment 1197181
I mean it does...but only by a small portion. You would usually do this at the beginning by having a very basic frame and focusing on that. Then drawing attention to only the important parts of the world building and expanding on just that. Any of the side things like what he has would be very basic/stretch goals. The only real world building he needs to focus on is around the main characters. And even more specifically, Ayano and Taro (because I refuse to call them "Yandere Chan" and "Senpai") and whoever the current rival is. Any background stuff would be specific to that rival but there's still no need to draw as much attention to it as he's been doing...like with Magami...a rival who isn't even close to entering the story.

Megamis whose thing shouldn't really even be that prominent since it's not even the main purpose of the game. If he's going to have it it should be extremely subtle in the background and then not come out as anything prominent until she herself is out.

Sorry most of my posts are just long splurges of an idea I thought of regarding this. I actually really enjoy storytelling and game design and for me this is what bothers me most. (When it comes to the game. I consider what he does outside of it to be an entirely seperate thing that's still very serious and honestly had made me decide to not buy the game even out of curiosity to see how it turned out if it does come out.)