Cultcow EvaXephon / Yanderedev / Alex Mahan / Alexander Stuart Mahan - Developer of Osana from 2014 till September 2020, Crowdfunding Soon

• Sorry about the recent downtime. The database server is being autistic. The beatings will continue.

What will happen to Yansim?

• Alex works less and less on his game as he rides out his tugboat

Votes: 1,295 43.4%
  • Alex drops the game and becomes a fulltime streamer

Votes: 421 14.1%
  • Alex opens up a Kickstarter that will fail because of gremlins (no refunds)

Votes: 569 19.1%
  • Alex adds more useless features asking for more money

Votes: 1,094 36.6%
  • Alex goes full skitzo drawing crayon comics about his battles with gremlins

Votes: 333 11.2%
  • Alex takes all the criticism to heart and improve his life

Votes: 68 2.3%
  • Alex will troon out becoming Alexia

Votes: 819 27.4%
  • Alex does a flip

Votes: 669 22.4%

• Total voters

Wojak Moment

Professional Dumbass
kiwifarms.net
Feels like there's more than usual new people dropping by today. I wonder if there's something going on elsewhere on the internet that's encouraging them.
I joined because of the Alex and Ben the looney threads, but there's prob some dumbshit out on the internet who told them about this "spooky cyberstalking website" called kiwifarms, and caused an influx of people

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

Kyle Rittenhouse did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
A few things consequential of spaghetti that I haven't bothered to bring up until now.
>Debug menu access is not a permanent thing on the demo, sometimes it bugs out and you have to reload to get it to work again, or re-kill Osana altogether.
>Apparently it can be accessed by simply spamming the sit out of the spacebar
>Sometimes you aren't allowed to gossip to certain students despite never talking to them, ever, at all.

Wojak Moment

Professional Dumbass
kiwifarms.net
A few things consequential of spaghetti that I haven't bothered to bring up until now.
>Debug menu access is not a permanent thing on the demo, sometimes it bugs out and you have to reload to get it to work again, or re-kill Osana altogether.
>Apparently it can be accessed by simply spamming the sit out of the spacebar
>Sometimes you aren't allowed to gossip to certain students despite never talking to them, ever, at all.
Welcome to EvaX programming

ChariotOfMara

Just along for the wild chariot rides
kiwifarms.net
Feels like there's more than usual new people dropping by today. I wonder if there's something going on elsewhere on the internet that's encouraging them.
Love Letter is featured on the front page. That might be part of it since it’s the same community.

The mod team on Reddit can’t even come to a consensus of rules on what posts should be removed. Pretty sure the only thing they were told how to do is delete and ban. That flair was still there when the Reddit was private. :story:

Muskrat

Time Is Energy
kiwifarms.net
I tried the matchmaking elimination method and immediately a few things came to mind.
  • There are times when you aren't able to talk to Osana, at all. From what I saw the only time you could send her to do a task or do her task is after the school day ends. At lunch she talks to Taro and in the morning she just wanders around with her own personal stalker Raibaru and has random conversations. This is jarring as fuck and I found myself trying multiple times to talk to her to no avail.
  • You need to fill up a "love" bar over time by having both her and the alternative guy talking. If you fuck this up on the first day, or your memory isn't very good to remember the details of Osana's conversation, you're basically fucked and you can't recover before the end of the week. The buffs are mandatory, otherwise it would be impossible to fill the bar in time. For Alex's young fans and new players, it is very unlikely you'll succeed on the first try, and you'll have to start the week all over again, wasting your time and immersion. The game isn't fun in the first place, and it definitely won't be fun the 2nd time around.
  • A good amount of your time is spent slowly walking around and following Osana to eavesdrop. This wouldn't be a huge problem if the environment was stimulating and fun to navigate, but this is not the case. She walks slowly everywhere until you tell her to go to the fountain, where she runs directly there and leaves if you aren't fast enough to get her alternative lover there in time, locking the option to do it again, wasting an entire day.

ChariotOfMara

kiwifarms.net
I tried the matchmaking elimination method and immediately a few things came to mind.
  • There are times when you aren't able to talk to Osana, at all. From what I saw the only time you could send her to do a task or do her task is after the school day ends. At lunch she talks to Taro and in the morning she just wanders around with her own personal stalker Raibaru and has random conversations. This is jarring as fuck and I found myself trying multiple times to talk to her to no avail.
  • You need to fill up a "love" bar over time by having both her and the alternative guy talking. If you fuck this up on the first day, or your memory isn't very good to remember the details of Osana's conversation, you're basically fucked and you can't recover before the end of the week. The buffs are mandatory, otherwise it would be impossible to fill the bar in time. For Alex's young fans and new players, it is very unlikely you'll succeed on the first try, and you'll have to start the week all over again, wasting your time and immersion. The game isn't fun in the first place, and it definitely won't be fun the 2nd time around.
  • A good amount of your time is spent slowly walking around and following Osana to eavesdrop. This wouldn't be a huge problem if the environment was stimulating and fun to navigate, but this is not the case. She walks slowly everywhere until you tell her to go to the fountain, where she runs directly there and leaves if you aren't fast enough to get her alternative lover there in time, locking the option to do it again, wasting an entire day.
This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about earlier with my Persona sperging. He takes the calendar aspect, but butchers it. The way I play those persona games is min-max the daily schedule to get everything done in one playthrough because I’m a retard. This results in a meticulously planned out schedule. The game doesn’t HAVE to be played retardly like I do. Persona has a shit ton of leeway and leisure time to get the things you want done, and if you’re not going for every possible thing available there’s no difficulty finishing what you want to. Alex is making you play my retarded min-max style for just one aspect of the game, not the 12+ things you’d get playing that way in Persona.

You should not have to autistically plan out every action for the week in order to finish. And you especially shouldn’t have to plan it out according to Alex’s will. This whole forcing players to do things his way, when he wants it done, no fun allowed.... He really should have just done a visual novel. He seems to constantly be adding to lore, we all saw the ridiculous anime in the game has its own plotline. And he has a fit anytime someone kills Osana when he doesn’t want them to, even though she’s supposed to be the easiest rival.

Wojak Moment

Professional Dumbass
kiwifarms.net
This is a major flaw in Eva's game design choices, he wants this thing to some big and awesome social sim/stealth game (Which by itself doesn't fucking work either btw) but he's so incompetent that he tries to make the game difficult, and makes it WAY too difficult, especially for what he knows is his target audience, if Megami is how I'm imagining her, the game's gonna be unbeatable by the 6th rival

Kuritan Deplorable

kiwifarms.net
I want to touch on this failure a bit further. In of itself, the idea of having a method or two that requires some prior knowledge is not bad. The problem with Alex's design is, as far as I've seen (I cannot be arsed to photograph enough underwear to deal with doing all the shit), he's not just locked everything behind a tight schedule, but he's locked everything behind the SAME schedule. You need to go into the week and immediately commit to an approach, otherwise all the less lethal paths seem to pass you by. Then, you have to fall back onto convoluted lethal paths, which are time and trigger sensitive, and if your playing like a semi-normal human being, IE seeking stuff out when you don't think you can kill your target, you'll miss them.

He's locked everything down so tightly, and he's removed the 'fallback'. In Persona, its possible, if potentially difficult, to grind any mistakes you've made away to just eke your way through. You have a brute force fallback. In Yansim, the obvious brute force fallback is "stab her to death" and has its consequences. But she has a body guard glued to her hip, so its functionally impossible to remove that bodyguard, unless... You go through a convoluted, time sensitive, non intuitive process that also overlaps. If you want to get rid of Raibaru to just stab her to death, that in of itself is a separate commitment.

If its friday morning and your ventures haven't succeeded so far, you made a mistake or missed a trigger, you don't really seem to have a fallback option. You've just lost. At absolute best, that is excessively restrictive game design, at worst (and far more likely) its just garbage built by someone who doesn't understand that every option does not need to be almost mutually exclusive.

The dingleberry on the cake is that this problem would compound week to week as you need to have developed your skills in advance for future methods, and then have precognition of which skills you need to execute a scheme half way through it, weeks in advance.

The Cum Consumer

Gimme daddy's cummies UwU
kiwifarms.net
It would have been much better if Alex implemented months instead of weeks. It gives you room to breath and explore your options, it's a lot more realistic for a student to die every month than every week, and school years just typically last 10 months to begin with, at least in my country. Then again, I don't know if Alex could implement snow for the winter months in a way that didn't cause everybody's computers to explode.

ChariotOfMara

kiwifarms.net
It would have been much better if Alex implemented months instead of weeks. It gives you room to breath and explore your options, it's a lot more realistic for a student to die every month than every week, and school years just typically last 10 months to begin with, at least in my country. Then again, I don't know if Alex could implement snow for the winter months in a way that didn't cause everybody's computers to explode.
I’m pretty sure the season change is his excuse for not making months. It would be too “difficult” And the cherry blossom tree being in bloom is essential to the lore. It would just ruin the entire game!!!

I touched on it earlier, Persona had game over deadlines set out about a month ahead. The whole week thing, he’s just setting it up for the player to be fucked over. Especially since Alex seems to think it’s possible for people to play his game incorrectly after having a debug sandbox build for 6 years that players were “bug testing”

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

Kyle Rittenhouse did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
If you fuck up one thing in a myriad of these elimination methods, you've fucked yourself over. That's why Alex has a wet dream for autistic handholding. Given that Senpai has a sanity level too, I always assumed despite his murder fetish Alex was trying to keep people from using "murder is the best solution" ( :optimistic: ), but it really is so much easier to get Raibaru to talk to the martial arts club leader then stab Osana, or place bugs and kill Osana with lethal poison, or give her an emetic and drown her in the toilet (somehow Raibaru didn't follow her, and it was honestly hilarious how after a whole three hours of class Raibaru zeroed in on her location on a different floor and started screaming "WHAT'S WRONG?!")
... Yes games are allowed to take acceptable breaks from reality, and I wouldn't expect anything less because Alex has never had someone who tolerates his existence before, but having a friend who spends every waking moment in school with you, breathing down your neck and stalking your phonecalls IS CREEPY. Yeah, sure, students have routines, but you can't make Osana go chat with some other students in the morning, maybe multiple at one time? No of course not, that would require having knowledge of human relationships and actual non-conflicting coding.

DieselBoogaloo

kiwifarms.net
I’m pretty sure the season change is his excuse for not making months. It would be too “difficult” And the cherry blossom tree being in bloom is essential to the lore. It would just ruin the entire game!!!
Cherry blossom trees are in bloom for about two weeks, so it's already ruined. The deadline for killing the 10th rival is June 11, sakuras ain't blooming in June (unless you're on Hokkaido, but then they do not bloom in April).

He's locked everything down so tightly, and he's removed the 'fallback'. In Persona, its possible, if potentially difficult, to grind any mistakes you've made away to just eke your way through. You have a brute force fallback. In Yansim, the obvious brute force fallback is "stab her to death" and has its consequences. But she has a body guard glued to her hip, so its functionally impossible to remove that bodyguard, unless... You go through a convoluted, time sensitive, non intuitive process that also overlaps. If you want to get rid of Raibaru to just stab her to death, that in of itself is a separate commitment.
Or you can just steal a bat from a delinquent, use it to strangle Osana, get caught by the teacher and get off scot free. The only two ways of playing YS right now are either by abusing bugs, or by following an autistically convoluted paint-by-dots routine where the dots appear for a fraction of a second only to disappear forever.

And I have no idea how this can expand to other rivals. It'll be again either following another long set routine, or glitching your way through. Which is gonna be boring, and the only element that can keep people playing through repetitive boring stages, the plot, is an utter crap.

Kuroiwa

Ace detective
kiwifarms.net
The only way to circumvent having to stalk Osana on the matchmaking elimination is by buying her likes and dislikes from Info chan but doing so literally makes the game x100 more boring.
There is literally nothing else to do once you know them and i gave up on the third day because i was literally too bored to finish that method.
The only time i finished the demo i did the befriend/betray shit but alas it was very easy and very boring too.
I remember Alex hyping up the stealth mission like there was no tomorrow and i just found it very bland and meh? Because some parts of it literally made no sense.

Soy Chad

"How'st going, bro?"
kiwifarms.net
This is a major flaw in Eva's game design choices, he wants this thing to some big and awesome social sim/stealth game (Which by itself doesn't fucking work either btw) but he's so incompetent that he tries to make the game difficult, and makes it WAY too difficult, especially for what he knows is his target audience, if Megami is how I'm imagining her, the game's gonna be unbeatable by the 6th rival
Considering Alex wants to make Yandere Simulator this huge thing despite the fact that he does not have enough competence or will to do so, it seems like he is going to make the game more difficult and frustrating than it has to be to give the illusion that it is longer and more complex than it actually is.
Game developers in the 80's did the same thing, except they were only really limited by the available technology.

Wojak Moment

Professional Dumbass
kiwifarms.net
Considering Alex wants to make Yandere Simulator this huge thing despite the fact that he does not have enough competence or will to do so, it seems like he is going to make the game more difficult and frustrating than it has to be to give the illusion that it is longer and more complex than it actually is.
Game developers in the 80's did the same thing, except they were only really limited by the available technology.
Game dev's in the 80s did this because they knew they would need to extend the playtime of their game, games were really fucking short then but to compensate for spending upwards of 30$ on them they made them more difficult, Alex doesn't need to do this because his game's already really long

DevilWoman

the quiet one that sits in the back
kiwifarms.net
It's been another week or so since I was caught up on this thread and the dev blog, but holy fucking shit. There have been TEN bug-fixing builds since her release (and a "quality of life" fix). I knew this "demo" was going to be spaghetti, but I think even this has surpassed my low expectations. Probably going to try the demo later anyway and mess around with easter eggs after reading up on how dull and buggy the week of elimination is.

Wojak Moment

Professional Dumbass
kiwifarms.net
It's been another week or so since I was caught up on this thread and the dev blog, but holy fucking shit. There have been TEN bug-fixing builds since her release (and a "quality of life" fix). I knew this "demo" was going to be spaghetti, but I think even this has surpassed my low expectations. Probably going to try the demo later anyway and mess around with easter eggs after reading up on how dull and buggy the week of elimination is.
It's pretty clear, he finally realized he was gonna stop getting money if he didn't get Osana out the door, so he released her in a rush, and is just ironing it out later