Law Every Democrat in the Senate Supports a Constitutional Amendment That Would Radically Curtail Freedom of Speech - The Democracy for All Amendment aims to mute some voices so that others can be heard.

Are Jacob Sullum of Reason Magazine's gripes valid?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Most are valid, some are not

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Most are not valid, but some are

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • They're equal portions valid and invalid

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters

Ralph from Chicago

Unions are the answer to everything
kiwifarms.net
Vaguely skimmed it, admittedly. Why, did I get something wrong?
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

ARTICLE—

SECTION 1.
To advance democratic self-government and political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of government and the electoral process, Congress and the States may regulate and set limits on the raising and spending of money by candidates and others to influence elections.

SECTION 2. Congress and the States shall have power to implement and enforce this article by appropriate legislation, and may distinguish between natural persons and corporations or other artificial entities created by law, including by prohibiting such entities from spending money to influence elections.

SECTION 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress or the States the power to abridge the freedom of the press.

AGreatDipAtAFairPrice

kiwifarms.net
Well, Section 3 is clearly b.s.
The bill is about giving the imprimatur to establishment, left-wing press as reasonable, real and American and anything they dislike can be given the stink eye as unreasonable, fake and "connected to foreigners." We all know that democrats are much more adept at lawfare and chicanery with a bill like this. Oh, you can't spend that money on that, its unreasonably high, its on a morally wrong cause because its racist/sexist/homophobic/xenophobic/religiously intolerant. Oh, we can't let you do that, you're fake news and connected to Russia/Putin/Orban/Salvini/Any politician abroad that the leftist "reasonable, real and American" press dislikes. And it would ALWAYS be a one way street. This would be the bureaucratic and feminine way for some sort of leftist Mommy Government, for Big Sister, to run roughshod. This amendment passing would be materially worse than full repeal of the first amendment.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

ARTICLE—

SECTION 1.
To advance democratic self-government and political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of government and the electoral process, Congress and the States may regulate and set limits on the raising and spending of money by candidates and others to influence elections.

SECTION 2. Congress and the States shall have power to implement and enforce this article by appropriate legislation, and may distinguish between natural persons and corporations or other artificial entities created by law, including by prohibiting such entities from spending money to influence elections.

SECTION 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress or the States the power to abridge the freedom of the press.
Yeah, I got the big headline parts. What did I get wrong? No, I certainly don't trust "Congress and the states" to "Implement and enforce this article by appropriate legislation".

The fact that it says "Nothing in this article shall be construed to abridge the freedom of the press" means nothing. "Look, you just need to have an official press license that we, the government, will control, and if you have one you have complete freedom!"

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd like to see someone address this problem from the opposite direction. Instead of worrying about people buying elections, worry about why they're up for sale in the first place. It takes two to tango after all.
The reality is that there's a large-enough chunk of the population out there that will just vote for whoever they saw more ads for. What's a fair way to regulate that? Is it cheating in some sense if I buy more ads that they'll see? Do I have a right to equal time in front of them, or some proportion of time based on my support and popularity? It sounds absurd even to ask these questions, but that's what all this boils down to.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
kiwifarms.net
I will admit, the Citizens United ruling was a godawful clusterfuck of massive proportions and as much as I'd like to see it actually fixed, I can't help but be skeptical of it all.

Given the current cultural and political climate where insane leftists equate free speech with Nazism and the fact that both neoliberal corporate Democrats and leftist "Justice Democrats" are upset to an unhealthy degree over Trump's election in 2016, I'm gonna have to stand against this proposed amendment.

I'm against the precedents set by Citizens United, but this is an obvious ploy to undermine the Constitution and it's more about pushing for censorship than actually curtailing corporate influence in government.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Well, we all know why the media will be shilling this. Unless you have a cable channel/published newspaper/etc. you aren't "the press". And they will be free to shill the ever-loving fuck out of their chosen candidate A and utterly shun and silence their opponent B. So unless an individual person has enough money to afford to put out ads for candidate B, they will get no press whatsoever. Because if people pool money together to put out an ad, it's a corporation not individual people and as such would be illegal. Plus anybody who tried to report on B would be slandered as "Russians" unless they have the government approved "press license" so they can prove they are part of the press and allowed to speak.

Ah what a wonderful world!

Dracula's Spirit Animal

One time, I accidentally ate a bunch of nails
kiwifarms.net
I have hard time seeing how limiting the campaign funding is equal to limiting your ability to speak your mind. If something it just levels the playing field in such a fashion that the game is not totally rigged in the favor of the rich.
That's true. It becomes stacked in favour of the government.

In Canada, we have similar restrictions, and we also don't have as ironclad a document for freedom of speech as the US. It is entirely optics and the annoyance/cost of implementing tyranny which has the Canadian government not turning into the left's boogeyman: fascism. It used to be, the left cared about this, but no longer. I think it was the head of Earth First in the eighties who said: "The only reason they haven't declared martial law in this country, is because they don't need to." (or thereabous). He was talking about the US, but eroding that ironclad control on government (like this legislation would allow), leaves every right and freedom meaningless and victim to the fickleness or pecadillos of the government.

Even twenty years ago, this was a massive concern all across the left -- hell, it was basically the entire anti-Reagan boogeyman -- now, here in ClownWorld, the left cheer it on like mindles animals. Watching how easily people lie to themselves has probably been the most fascinating aspect of human nature I've seen in my life.

tl;dr: This doesn't empower the common man, it empowers goverment against the common man.

Edit to not be a multiposting faggot:

Ok give your autistic ratings but here the solution....
The most you can do is take care of your family and those who done most good for you.

No matter what legalisation gets passed most folks here say it either complicate things or well meaning but can be abused.

This system cannot be fixed. Only replaced.

What you can do is form self sufficient mutual assist collectives at the personal level. If folks were not reliant on the market and not reliant on the state but each other then both these corporations and the state would starve due to your withdraw.

Take twitter. If every one on twitter took all their followers and formed their own forums instead then twitter would vanish. This is fragmentation from bottom up. Same applies in real world. By creating self sustaining and separate communities and separate micro economies a bottom up fragmentation would occur and erase the system multinational and the likes of Epstein rely on for power.
So, it is a market, only a ...erm... social market? Basically, what you are suggesting is syndicalism.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino