Culture Ex-NY Mayor Michael Bloomberg will not be running for President in 2020 -

Francis York Morgan

FBI Special Agent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Story from NPR

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has announced he will not run for president in 2020.

"While there would be no higher honor than serving as president, my highest obligation as a citizen is to help the country the best way I can, right now," Bloomberg wrote in an op-ed on the news site he owns, Bloomberg News. "That's what I'll do, including the launch of a new effort called Beyond Carbon."

Beyond Carbon will be the 77-year-old billionaire's effort to "retire every single coal-fired power plant over the next 11 years" and to "begin moving America as quickly as possible away from oil and gas and toward a 100 percent clean energy economy."

Bloomberg, who was first elected mayor of New York as a Republican, opted out of a growing field of Democratic candidates. Bloomberg served as mayor of the country's largest city from 2002 until 2013. He switched parties to Democratic and independent during his tenure but has typically supported more liberal social causes.

Bloomberg called President Trump "a threat to our country" and said that "New Yorkers know a con when we see one." But Bloomberg also warned, "We cannot allow the primary process to drag the party to an extreme that would diminish our chances in the general election" and give Trump four more years.

As for his own prospects, he wrote, "I believe I would defeat Donald Trump in a general election. But I am clear-eyed about the difficulty of winning the Democratic nomination in such a crowded field."

Gun control has been a focus for Bloomberg in recent years in the wake of an increasing number of mass shooting via his Everytown for Gun Safety group. Bloomberg has backed candidates who advocate for tougher gun restrictions, and during the 2018 midterms, he also committed $100 million to helping flip the House and Senate. It was then that he announced he was rejoining the Democratic Party.

Bloomberg has flirted with a White House bid before, including weighing whether to run as an independent in 2008 and 2016. A presidential run could have caused complications for his ownership of Bloomberg News.

Some of Bloomberg's past policy positions while New York mayor could have also proved problematic. He has been heavily criticized for the implementation of stop-and-frisk policies by police, which disproportionately targeted African-American and Latino men.
Found this kind of interesting coming off the back of Hillary's statement. Looks like this Democratic primary is going to be every bit the shitstorm that the GOP's was in 2016.

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
Sounds like someone looked at his favorability rating in Iowa... and New Hampshire... and everywhere else.

Coldgrip

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Way.
kiwifarms.net
So... announcing you're not running for president is now newsworthy?

OK guys, well I have a bombshell for you then.

I will most likely not run for president in 2020.
That's good, would be a shame to leak the photos of you kissing Netanyahu on the cheek with your "I :feels: Communism" pin clearly visible on your lapel...

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
So... announcing you're not running for president is now newsworthy?

OK guys, well I have a bombshell for you then.

I will most likely not run for president in 2020.
Look, the current crop of candidates is so terrible that the media keeps speculating on other, more worthy (or not in the case of Clinton) candidates running.

In that spirit, I am running in 2020! No, I won't tell you who as.

WarJams

kiwifarms.net
I was a little befuddled because I thought he had already tried, gotten bored and quit because people just resent him. But I was getting him mixed up with that other New York rat cocksucker Bill de Blasio.

Hope it ends the same way for Bloomberg.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino