Disaster Extinction Rebellion threaten to shut down London - Where's a truck of peace when you need one?

• I've reconfigured the webserver to better deal with the attack. If you experience 429 errors post in the tech support thread and very clearly describe what you were doing and what page you tried to access. Errors starting with 500 mean the server is down, error 429 means my net caught you. If you experience weird issues with images loading or uploading files, you should also report that. I've changed a ton of settings but the server is face-tanking 500 requests a second now.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/15/extinction-rebellion-activists-threaten-bring-london-standstill/

Radical environmental protesters are preparing for arrests today as they attempt bring central London to a standstill by mounting 24-hour protests in the middle of key roads.
The Extinction Rebellion (XR) group are targeting Marble Arch, Oxford Circus, Waterloo Bridge, and Parliament Square with plans to block the routes “for as long as it takes,” making it inevitable that they will be arrested for obstruction.
Members of the group, which disrupted the Commons with a nude protest on April 1, will also be gluing or locking themselves to street furniture to delay police by forcing them to use chemicals to free them.
Waterloo Bridge was blocked in both directions shortly after 10am today as dozens of protesters gathered on the river crossing. The Extinction Rebellion Twitter account tweeted: "We have taken Waterloo bridge!"
XR, whose prime goal is to reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025, claims between 3,000 and 6,000 supporters could take part in the protests. Last November, they blocked bridges across London to bring chaos to the capital.
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

119 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Sophie Cowen, an Oxford French graduate who joined the group in November and now acts as media co-ordinator, pledged non-violent civil disobedience: “It’s 100 per cent about obstructing traffic and making sure we bring it to a standstill. People are willing to be arrested.”
The Metropolitan Police said officers would be used from across the service to provide a “proportionate” response to the protests, which balanced the right to a peaceful protest while ensuring disruption to communities was kept to a minimum.
A spokesman urged travellers to allow extra journey time as road closures and disruptions to the travel network were expected.
It comes as part of attempts to force the Government to declare a climate emergency. Earlier this month, several activists stripped semi-naked in the House of Commons during a Brexit debate.
Activists stripped off in Parliament earlier this month in a previous protest

Activists stripped off in Parliament earlier this month in a previous protest CREDIT: JAMES HEAPPEY/PA
The movement has received support from actress and activist Dame Emma Thompson and former archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams.
Speaking at a meditation on the eve of the protests Dr Williams said humans had declared war on nature.
He said: "We are here tonight to declare that we do not wish to be at war. We wish to make peace with ourselves by making peace with our neighbour Earth and with our God."
Thompson has previously said of the demonstrations: "It is time to stand up and save our home."
Organisers said: "The International Rebellion begins and Extinction Rebellion will be bringing London to a standstill for up to two weeks.
"They will be blocking five of the city's busiest and most iconic locations in a non-violent, peaceful act of rebellion where they invite people to join them for several days of creative, artist-led resistance."
Demonstrators arrived at London's Hyde Park on Sunday, some having journeyed to the city on foot in recent weeks from various parts of the UK for what is described as an "International Rebellion".
I sincerely hope these hippies get ganked.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thought the title said "extinction threatens to shut down london" and started getting my hopes up :(

Seriously, I love the physical city but I do kinda wish it could be walled off and a few vials of the rage virus dumped in the water supply so that by the end of the year I could visit the imperial war museum in peace

Last edited:

LinuxVoid

Enter the void.
kiwifarms.net
BigFatWitch said:
It didn't serve your individual purposes today. It was annoying. That doesn't mean it had no purpose. Non-men and everyone else understand that protest gave us our rights. And protest is all we have to get the attention of people who dgaf that we're all about to die.
Welp. Good to have it confirmed that only men work in London.

Glad I couldn't help

Now with edge anime avatar
kiwifarms.net
XR, whose prime goal is to reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025, claims between 3,000 and 6,000 supporters could take part in the protests.
This is sound insanely impossible.
It comes as part of attempts to force the Government to declare a climate emergency.
What would that entail? Something tells me that nothing good could from it, however.

ATaxingWoman

Professional Summer Seasoned Tax Investigator
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

Crocophile

Θώθ what's this?
kiwifarms.net
I'm a bit of a tree hugging hippie faggot myself, but I prefer to do things like recycle or carpool or throw dynamite into the gas tank of a feller buncher.

Honestly, what did they think they were going to accomplish by running around naked or blocking traffic, making people hate them and everything they stand for? How was that productive? How was that going to save the earth? Because you inconvenienced a few motorists for a handful of hours? Meanwhile a single factory in China is shitting out more carbon per second than London traffic produces in a week. And they obviously knew it would get them arrested, so they'll be in jail, where they can't do any other activist work. So what did they gain? It's not even a Pyrrhic victory for mother earth, just an exercise in maximum tardation.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
"They will be blocking five of the city's busiest and most iconic locations in a non-violent, peaceful act of rebellion where they invite people to join them for several days of creative, artist-led resistance."
:story::story::story:

What does this even mean? Why do these people always think that living like a child and finger-painting their feelings makes them qualified to be leaders of society?

SmileyTimeDayCare

kiwifarms.net
They are not just demonstrating in London.

Extinction Rebellion pours 1500 kg of clothing on the ground in front of a H&M in Paris https://positivr.fr/extinction-rebellion-h-m-mode/
View attachment 726491

Extinction Rebellion are blocking the entrance to the Swedish parliament by playing dead and declare Greta Thunberg a ”climate heroine”
View attachment 726493
The nap time protests crack me up. TAKE US SERIOUSLY AS WE NAP.

These people can get fucked. Guarantee there's a billionaire or someone who wants to be pulling the strings of all of these organizations.

Gustav Schuchardt

kiwifarms.net
These are the same far left idiots that are for open borders and immigration ( increased population => pollution+ 'green house gases")
Stupid is as stupid does.
The media are also very obviously sympathetic to them, but when Macron gave the police the right to use live ammunition on the Yellow Vest protestors the media largely ignored it.

Gee, it's almost like the Powers That Be want protests that would increase their power and don't want ones which would reduce it.

E.g. consider

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/feb/21/millennial-generation

Tamsin Omond, 25, who was in training to be an Anglican priest before she became a climate activist, has said: "I didn't feel like there was any energy for change in the church – I knew I could do so much more. When I left university, I felt that it was my calling to be a priest, but I was also terrified of climate change. I wanted to get Christians to realise that their faith was relevant to climate change, but the response was very complacent. It was so frustrating." Omond left the priesthood and went on to found the activist group Climate Rush. She says environmental activism is now her top priority: "Our response to climate change is going to define the future."
Tamsin Omond and Laurie Penny will pose as radical revolutionaries up to the point they get offered the job in politics they've always known they're entitled to. And at that point they'll cash in the bogus 'grassroots pressure' to increase the power of the state to regulate climate and of the EU to regulate member states.

That's why the media, politicians and police give them an easy time - they're working in the interests of those groups. Meanwhile the Yellow Vests, anti EU/pro BREXIT demonstrators are acting against the interests of the Powers That Be. And so if Macron decides the army can shoot them, all it will generate is a think piece on some wonkish site like politico.eu. It won't trigger the media's outrage machine demanding Something Must Be Done to stop it, even though if a non media approved politician did that it most certainly would. It'd be the lead item in every news bulletin.

Basically if you block streets to demand green taxes, the Powers That Be will cover for you. If you block streets to protest green taxes, the media will cover for the army when they shoot you. Or blind you. Funny how the bogus 'children in puppy dog cages story' about Trump got a lot more coverage than the gruesome injuries the French police are inflicting on the Yellow Jackets.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino