Extra Credits - leftie gaming channel that had two of its members accused of "misconduct" in only 2 months

oddish

itsa me, oddguy
kiwifarms.net
"Extra Credits" is a gaming channel that makes godawful "analysis" videos about videos games. The show started as a ripoff of Yahtzee that they made as a school project, and never progressed much further than that in quality. In it, they draw from their non existent "expertise" in game design that they have thanks to their founder being a low level consultant for a bunch of low tier studios and mobile games. Thanks to this, all of their videos are entry level garbage or ads for bad indie games made by people they are probably friends with, and are peppered with far left propaganda, which is why they are wrong about everything 90% of the time.

However, these are still better than their new series of videos about things like history, where they go into full history revisionism mode to push an agenda by doing things like leaving out the fact that Genghis Khan was one of history's most prolific rapists so that they could paint him as some sort of progressive hero. Or their even newer series about fiction, where every episode has several minutes set aside for calling the authors they are talking about racist and sexist.

The channel's co-creator, James Portnow, is known for being an insufferable douche with a video game addiction that starts fights online with people he doesn't agree with, and treats his colleges and co-workers like shit, to the point that everyone, including Danial Floyd (the other co-founder), have fucked off or were removed from his channel because of disagreements.

In recent days, Portnow has been accused in recent days of sexual harassment.
Just in time for pride month!

In the linked twitter thread, his ex (who used to work for EC) says that, after they broke up, he used his position on the channel to make sure the Extra Credits creates as much content as possible that would force him and her to work closely together. When she told him she doesn't want that and that she will not be doing the series they were doing together anymore, he exploded and started harassing her. After blocking him and asking him to leave her alone MULTIPLE TIMES, she was forced to quit to get away from him. James then told everyone he knew that she did something that left him with no choice but to fire her, that he allowed her to resign to save her reputation, and that he paid her her last paycheck out of pity. The woman in question claims that none of that is true.
He then went on to force everyone who disagreed with him out of the company (I am calling it a company for brevity's sake).

Now, the allegations themselves are a bit questionable because, while Portnow is a goony beard feminist of the kind known for turning out to be a sex pest, his accuser is herself a blue haired, feminist lolcow of the type known for crying rape when someone makes eye contact with her.

Since I'm too lazy to do this myself, here is a post about her by @neural that I will quote in its entirety, containing screencaps of her allegations and other lolcowery (no points for guessing she is friends with Brianna Wu).

Alright, so the #1 thing that is missing in the OP are caps of the call-out tweets that started all this, I know you archived them, but it's also good to add something for Google image search too lol:

View attachment 470064
View attachment 470065
View attachment 470066
View attachment 470068
View attachment 470069
And the cherry on top, this is who accusation comes from, this Soraya Een Hajji, note the pronouns and GaymerX connection:

View attachment 470070
View attachment 470077 View attachment 470078 View attachment 470079 View attachment 470080
This person has been in panels with our favorite congressional candidate, the one on your far left (obligatory @Jaimas tag, isn't that Tanya DePass on Wu's right?):

EDIT: LOL identifies as demisexual:
View attachment 470082

Cow Crossover from Queer Kids Stuff:
View attachment 470083

There are way, way more cow crossovers here. This person may not be a cow, but they sure know a lot of them.

Probably because Extra Credits are a community of creators, at least from reading your OP. I think we should lean into the curve here and expand the thread in that direction by adding in more creator and fan tardation as well.

Or, at least, the allegations would be questionable, were it not for two other people coming out to corroborate that James is an asshole.

ws.png

Holly Green, formally of Destructoid and Gameranx (among others)

xe.png

And Russ Pit, formally of Polygon.

EC responded to this reveal with this clarification saying basically "James Portnow did nothing wrong" (probably written by James Portnow).

People aren't buying it and calling him a sex pest, while his own subreddit demands his resignation.

This all comes right on the heels of one of the contributors to their lets play channel, Will Overgard, being fired for "misconduct" that was never specified as early as this April. Just two fucking months ago!

wsde.png

But this is far from the only controversies they've been involved in. Here are some of them in as close to chronological order as I can get them without actually bothering to check.

1. Their resident artist had something wrong with her shoulder, so they had a fundraiser to pay to hire other artists to work in her stead until she gets better, while also implying the money is needed for her medical expenses. While some of the Escapist forum was smart enough to understand how stupid that is, that her injury isn't serious, and that they could just have forum artist work for free to get exposure, the rest were dumb enough to donate over 104,000$ (they were only asking for 15k), only to have Allison never go back to working full time and soon after leave EC to get a real job at a video game studio, despite supposedly still being too injured to work full time on their videos just before.

2. When the fundraiser ended with a massive surplus, the team decided to take the money and form an indie game company, instead of re-compensating TheEscapist for thousands of dollars worth of free donation incentives that they provided for the fundraiser. The bushiness relationship ended soon after.

They were then briefly hired by PennyArcade, but kicked out of there also during downsizing.

3. GamerGate rolls around and EC, who are close friends with people like Leigh Alexander and the like, of course, come out against it. Soon after the little cartoon characters in their videos start wearing hijabs. All this comes shortly after they made a video talking about not backing down from controversy when people accuse games and gaming of being bad and making people bad. "Games cause sexism" I guess was not on the list of things you should not back down from.

4. On top of the fake indie game company, Portnow formed some sort of gamer advocacy group with another massive fundraiser.

5. The money from either one or both (might have even been the same money), is distributed among James' students, who he insists were simply the most deserving.

6. Neither the indie game company, nor the advocacy group ever produce anything of note (or possibly anything at all).

7. No explanation is ever given for what happened to the rest of that money.

8. Then Portnow decides that, seeing as how TotalBiscuit had just been admitted to the hospital for cemo treatments and was in bad condition, now is the best time to talk shit about him at a convention and demand he denounce GamerGate, as well as attack him on twitter.

Portnow asked Bane to stop talking about ethics and floated an unfounded rumor that he was involved in an undisclosed paid promotion. TB responded by verbally demolishing him and people created the hashtag #IHearWhatIHear, posting shit like "James Portnow raped and murdered a 13 year old girl in 1997 #IHearWhatIHear".

Here is the video of James talking shit about TB

9. Despite supposedly being gamer advocates, they constantly defend anti-consumer practices like DLC, lootboxes and that time Valve tried to make paid mods mandatory and take 75% of the profit.

10. Made a video with MovieBob. (I wonder if he knew about the sexual harassment stuff like he did with Devin Faraci)

Here are some of my favorite Extra Credits videos:

The "Hatred" video - Where they knowledge that the developers openly admit they are riling people up for attention, but EC are still so butthurt that they have to give their two cents about how much they hate the game, in a video urging people not to give them any more attention, while they themselves are doing exactly that.

The "Gaming Compulsion" video - Where they talk about gaming addiction and James describes his own battle with gaming addiction, in an unedited segment that ends with him crying. What I love about this video is how, throughout all of it, Daniel Floyd insist on calling it a "Gaming Compulsion", as if that makes a difference, to defend gaming's precious reputation.

The "We are running out of internet"
- The video where they explain that we are running out of internet because there isn't enough room for all of it in the air (??????)

Any history video from the last 3 months - Where they glorify Islam or bring up slavery unprompted, and then go out of their way to downplay it when the slaves were white or the slave owners weren't.

EDIT:

A new "best" EC video has been made. (Jul 3, 2019 )

In this one they seriously suggest (within the first 30 seconds, no less) that playing games where you're on the german side of WW2 will turn you into an actual nazi.

The video is currently sitting pretty at 12k to 155k like to dislike ratio (worse ratio than the most disliked video on YT) and was followed by one of their staff tweeting that they don't care about dislikes and are happy people are unsubbing

before desperately backpedaling and trying to add nuance to the video description where they previously told people who don't like it to fuck off. The memes have been pretty funny.

View attachment 828005View attachment 828002View attachment 828003

Last edited:

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For the record, here is the sex predator in question whining about how the REAL threat to wammen (eshPESHULLY wammen in media) is those damn trolling stoopid pickle suited niggers gamergators and their grand wizard Total Biscuit because they are mean on tweeter to his "friends" and trolls are saying bad things. Unless I fudged the dates, this takes place after he has been sexually harassing women

To repeat what I said not a day or two ago regarding Trudeau being outed as a sex predator, here is my statement to every single "woke male feminist ally" on the planet

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alright, so the #1 thing that is missing in the OP are caps of the call-out tweets that started all this, I know you archived them, but it's also good to add something for Google image search too lol:

upload_2018-6-10_21-56-29.png

upload_2018-6-10_21-57-48.png

upload_2018-6-10_21-58-10.png

upload_2018-6-10_21-58-37.png

upload_2018-6-10_21-58-54.png

And the cherry on top, this is who accusation comes from, this Soraya Een Hajji, note the pronouns and GaymerX connection:

upload_2018-6-10_22-0-34.png

maxresdefault_live.jpg photo.jpg sorayaheadshot.jpg tumblr_inline_p4knw5KV1a1vo346n_500.jpg
This person has been in panels with our favorite congressional candidate, the one on your far left (obligatory @Jaimas tag, isn't that Tanya DePass on Wu's right?):

upload_2018-6-10_22-14-55.png

upload_2018-6-10_22-15-47.png

There are way, way more cow crossovers here. This person may not be a cow, but they sure know a lot of them.

Why was this moved to community watch? Am I misunderstanding something? Is that really where it belongs? EC isn't really a community.
Probably because Extra Credits are a community of creators, at least from reading your OP. I think we should lean into the curve here and expand the thread in that direction by adding in more creator and fan tardation as well.

Last edited:

yawning sneasel

Chadministrator
Staff Member
Community Admin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey @oddish, I've seen some of your videos and gotta say good work.

Extra Credits is a good choice for a content thread; however, OPs usually need more content. A few more examples of lolcontent and more links to their content would be good. As it stands there is a lot of description of why they are funny and a lack of evidence. Like what you posted thus far in terms of content is good, but we could use a bit more here. Plus, more links and evidence of a backstory would be nice.

I am going to move this back to Proving Grounds. When it is complete it should probably be moved to lolcow. While this is several people, its a small group and its a static group, not much change. Thanks.

oddish

itsa me, oddguy
kiwifarms.net
Hey @oddish, I've seen some of your videos and gotta say good work.

Extra Credits is a good choice for a content thread; however, OPs usually need more content. A few more examples of lolcontent and more links to their content would be good. As it stands there is a lot of description of why they are funny and a lack of evidence. Like what you posted thus far in terms of content is good, but we could use a bit more here. Plus, more links and evidence of a backstory would be nice.

I am going to move this back to Proving Grounds. When it is complete it should probably be moved to lolcow. While this is several people, its a small group and its a static group, not much change. Thanks.
Alright man, thanks. I'll try to fix it up by shoving some screencaps in there or something.

EDIT: Also, you don't have to pretend to like my videos. They're trash and I know they're trash.

Last edited:

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

oddish

itsa me, oddguy
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 470064
View attachment 470065
View attachment 470066
View attachment 470068
View attachment 470069

View attachment 470070
View attachment 470077 View attachment 470078 View attachment 470079 View attachment 470080

View attachment 470082

View attachment 470083

Thanks I'm stealing all of this to fix the OP later

Tetra

This is a hurt-box I can't leave
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Very nice, they've been on the border of getting a thread for a while.

They've made a lot of videos with varying levels of being correct, but this one is one of the worst videos from them I've seen, mentioned in the OP but not posted
If you have time watch it and just awe at their "knowledge"

streamable ver

Last edited:

oddish

itsa me, oddguy
kiwifarms.net
If I recall, these guys have also defending bullshit microtransactions because they buy part and parcel into the lie that game development has gotten more expensive in recent years so microtransactions are needed to help keep costs down.
I remember I stopped watching them when they went down the "Let's talk about gender in games" hole. And now, surprise, it turns out the male feminists are actually a bit rapey themselves. That's certainly a story that's never been heard before.
They also made a video about fighting games being just too darn hard! ;-; And talking down to fighting game pros

Male

This guy fucks!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Extra Credit host Daniel Floyd's sped up voice, which he uses in every one of his :informative: videos, is some of the most grating shit I've heard. I understand the reason behind it was to keep their videos under the max time limit but:
1) If exceeding Youtube's max length was an issue, he could have just cut some stuff out of his script instead of speeding the video thus raising his pitch so to an almost ear piercing degree.
2) Their YouTube channel is verified so that means they're able to extend the length of their videos so him still using this tactic to this day is unnecessary.

I remember back when EC was kicked off of The Escapist. So many people were butthurt over it and some even got banned or suspended for talking shit about the staff.
At this point, I don't see why The Escapist doesn't just rename itself "Ben Yahtzee's reviews", I think there's only about two other people on there.

oddish

itsa me, oddguy
kiwifarms.net
Extra Credit host Daniel Floyd's sped up voice, which he uses in every one of his :informative: videos, is some of the most grating shit I've heard. I understand the reason behind it was to keep their videos under the max time limit but:
1) If exceeding Youtube's max length was an issue, he could have just cut some stuff out of his script instead of speeding the video thus raising his pitch so to an almost ear piercing degree.
2) Their YouTube channel is verified so that means they're able to extend the length of their videos so him still using this tactic to this day is unnecessary.

At this point, I don't see why The Escapist doesn't just rename itself "Ben Yahtzee's reviews", I think there's only about two other people on there.
I don't understand this criticism. Why would he want to make his videos shorter? If anything, he'd be trying to stretch them out to 10 minutes so he can put ads on them and so that they could be favored by the algorithms.

Overcast

Suck You Bus
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Must feel weird for Ben to see all these people come and go. First to come, and perhaps the last to leave.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino