Business Facebook fought to keep a trove of thousands of explosive internal documents and emails secret. They were just published online in full. -

Power Word: YEET

thicc anime thigh connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Exhibit 142 is Zuck and co basically admitting to illegal restraint of trade under the essential facilities doctrine. Basically, they added a policy of blocking competing messaging apps from advertising with Facebook ads ("neko", their app install advertising facility).

View attachment 1001303
More in exhibit 118, where they discuss removing access to identity services for WeChat and other potential competitors

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 15.16.14.png

RLS0812

Just A Fox
kiwifarms.net
When FB datamined peoples phones, and no one cared ( FB still does ) .
I'm going to guess no one will care about FBs latest sh###ing the bed in 2 or 3 months .

Why the flying F### is FaceBook immune ? Everyone just accepts that a large corporation will sell your personal information to anyone for the right price ?

Last edited:

Screw Danlon

The Truncated White Man
kiwifarms.net
Exhibit 142 is Zuck and co basically admitting to illegal restraint of trade under the essential facilities doctrine. Basically, they added a policy of blocking competing messaging apps from advertising with Facebook ads ("neko", their app install advertising facility).

View attachment 1001303
I admit I’m not a genius, especially with law, but could someone explain why this is illegal? I don’t see why a company should be forced to advertise a competitor on their platform. Isn’t that like saying NBC should have to advertise CSpan?

Also, holy shit. ‘Doug marked them as a lower competitive risk because he thought Mark wanted to buy it’? Something about the casualness of “hey, he might just want to buy one of the largest platofrms in the world, so let’s put them aside” is really disgusting.

Last edited:
could someone explain why this is illegal? I don’t see why a company should be forced to advertise a competitor on their platform. Isn’t that like saying NBC should have to advertise CSpan?
It's an anti-monopoly thing. The idea being that Facebook is big enough that if they disallowed all of their competition from advertising with them there's no chance they'd ever have any serious competition. The same can't be said of NBC and CSpan.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but the whole thing is a theoretical problem? Nobody has actually decided for sure that they meet the criteria? I certainly don't know enough to comment on if they have.

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net

Isaac Cox

kiwifarms.net
LOL THIS IS THE END OF FAKEBOOK!!1!

Or... the average user has such a disregard about the implications of using it as long as he gets to keep the dopamine drip that nothing will happen besides businessinsider.com getting a small jump in ad revenue.

Power Word: YEET

thicc anime thigh connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
It's an anti-monopoly thing. The idea being that Facebook is big enough that if they disallowed all of their competition from advertising with them there's no chance they'd ever have any serious competition. The same can't be said of NBC and CSpan.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but the whole thing is a theoretical problem? Nobody has actually decided for sure that they meet the criteria? I certainly don't know enough to comment on if they have.
Yeah, it's something that is not a clear-cut "you can't do this", and is a sometimes-recognized exception to the general rule that businesses acting alone can decide with whom they will do business. It's something that enterprising attorneys general could take to court and make Facebook spend tens of millions of dollars defending the practice, but it's not something they'd very likely win on the merits.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

No one has said as such, but everytime a news story like this breaks everyone over at Facebook gets really worried that the government might want to take a look and see if they qualify.

Same for Google/Youtube as well.

Sissy Galvez

kiwifarms.net
Facebook owns three incredibly large social media platforms. Name a serious competitor to Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp. Same with twatter or google search. They control over 90% of social media and search.

Facebook and google need to be broken up. I wish we could force people to wake up and stop using FB altogether but it’s easier to have government intervention.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino