Facebook trying to get me to buy "stars" to support streamers - Will this replace Twitch "bits?" No, because I don't buy that shit either

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
Ad revenue model is dead. Video streaming platforms are trying to get consumers to directly pay for the content they consume via these stars/bits/super chats and take some of that fee profit from Patreon.
I don't think it's dead, since print magazines still thrive on it rather than actual subscribers. I also don't think facebook realistically needs any more than 50 staff members to tweak features & keep the servers up when it was started by college kids. They could afford to scale back on the busy-work they call "labor." Honestly twitter having several thousand staffers is mind-blowing to me.

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's dead, since print magazines still thrive on it rather than actual subscribers. I also don't think facebook realistically needs any more than 50 staff members to tweak features & keep the servers up when it was started by college kids. They could afford to scale back on the busy-work they call "labor." Honestly twitter having several thousand staffers is mind-blowing to me.
It's not about the platform company, it's about attracting/keeping content creators without having to really pay them. They monetize other areas of the site. The fact that they probably take a decent fee on these microtransactions is just bonus.

Clearly ad revenue is pathetic unless you're mega big, even before the ad-pocalyapse.

Elwood P. Dowd

I am the lizard king. I can do ... anything.
kiwifarms.net
Link.

Facebook wants more gamers livestreaming, so it’s offering paid deals and a chance to earn donations from fans
Facebook is giving users the chance to pay gamers.
By Kurt Wagner Jan 26, 2018, 2:00pm ESTSHARE
Sergei Fadeichev\TASS via Getty Images
Facebook is trying to attract a new type of content creator: Professional gamers — the people who stream video of themselves playing video games online so others can watch.

Facebook is launching an official partner program for some gamers; those who sign on will get deals in which the company will pay them to use Facebook’s livestreaming technology to broadcast to other Facebook users. Paying people to use Facebook Live is a strategy the company has used with more traditional publishers and celebrities — like the New York Times or comedian Kevin Hart — in an effort to push livestreaming into the mainstream. (Facebook has in the past paid Vox Media, Recode’s parent company, to create live videos.)

But Facebook isn’t just paying these gamers. It will also give them another way to make money: Via donations from people who watch their livestream, often referred to in the industry as “tipping.” That means that if you’re watching a gamer you really enjoy, you’ll now be able to send them actual money through Facebook as a token of your appreciation. (Twitter’s Periscope, for example, also offers tipping.)

Gamer StoneMountain64 was the first user to test Facebook’s new tipping feature.
Facebook
The idea is to build up Facebook’s reputation as a place for both gamers and game enthusiasts. The world of online gaming is bigger than most people realize. Estimates put the total number of people who watch others play video games at 500 million worldwide. YouTube has a massive collection of online gaming videos, and Twitch, which is almost exclusively video game streams, sold to Amazonin 2014 for more than $1 billion.

Facebook wants a slice of that action, and getting the gamers — a.k.a. the content — onto Facebook is the first step.

“We want creators to be able to be successful on Facebook, and a big part of being successful means being able to make a living,” said Leo Olebe, Facebook’s global director of gaming partnerships, in an interview.

This is not Facebook’s first foray into gaming. People have been streaming games to Facebook for the past 18 months, and the company recently announced a deal with the Electronic Sports League to stream some of ESL’s professional competitions inside Facebook’s video tab, Watch.

Some of the logistics of the company’s new gamer program are still being worked out. Facebook plans to take a share of donations that fans send gamers, for example, but claims it hasn’t settled on a formal split yet. Facebook plans to launch the program over the weekend with dozens of gamers, and hopes to expand it quickly.

Facebook doesn’t want to pay gamers forever, though. It’s using these paid deals to get things rolling, but eventually it wants to move toward a business model in which someone besides Facebook — likely advertisers — is paying the bills.
Huh. I had no clue this was happening, and I've got both a real account for family purposes and a burner account I use for everything else. Now I kind of wonder how much Facebook is paying them.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of central hub you can go to to watch ABC or XYZ game, though, is there? Unless I'm missing something this means discoverability must be close to nil for somebody starting out.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino