Fallout series -

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Far Harbor is genuinely worth it. The actual main campaign is short but the island is fun to explore and it has, who would have thought, actually good writing that touches on the themes that Fallout 4 seemed to be trying to examine. It also has quite a few choices, a few skill (well, SPECIAL and perk) checks, and you can play the main character in tons of different ways. It also has the best designed armor in the game and some really unique weapons (although the Lever-Action Rifle kinda sucks).

Nuka-World is really just an explore and shoot-em-up. It has some good items, but don't expect a good story, lots of choices or even well designed mission structure. It's almost all "go here, kill x." They also made a baffling decision that I won't spoil you on, you can look it up if you want to.

Automatron's story is decent for what it is. The robot building mechanic is pretty good, I found myself using it here and there. It also adds the Tesla rifle back in the game, but it looks nothing like it did in other games.

None of the workshop DLCs are particularly good. I find myself using Wasteland Workshop items the most, then Contraptions, and then finally I pretty much never used the Vault-Tec shit (which you can only use one area anyways) after its """story""" was over. Personally I wouldn't recommend any of them if you're buying individually. Wasteland might be worth it, but I'd look up what it adds first.

The Railroad are SJW scum
Remember when that Institute guy that helped them committed suicide after his life was ruined and they lied about it?

• Agree
Reactions: Violence Jack

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because the writers at Bethesda think that "being the coolest most supreme badass leader guy" = "a satisfying resolution to a storyline"

"Go here shoot that guy/fetch that thing" is their idea of "content." Mind you radiants aren't inherently a bad thing; they give you a good outlet with which to grind experience and cash typically, or maybe a good way to test out that new weapon you found. The problem is that Bethesda substitutes unique quest material that seems meaningfully impactful to the world with nearly only radiant quests in fallout 4. Compare to New Vegas where nearly all quests are unique and have some kind of meaningful choice, and Skyrim where there are many unique quests presented to the player in major and minor locations (and often in unexpected places) and radiants are most relegated to inns and factions.
Even for the purpose of grinding and mindless shooty fun, the radiants are made redundant in F4 by the frequent respawning/repopulation of enemies in most outdoor areas and many dungeons, unlike in F3 and NV.

The handsome tard

So I scoop out his eyeballs with the spoon...
kiwifarms.net
As much we can disagree over our favorite entries, we can all rejoice under one cause.

Fallout 76 is fucking garbage.

Also, anyone wonders what was the Lone Wanderer's ultimate fate? I doubt he /she would have approved of the direction the brotherhood took (especially since its implied they raided Rivet city for its core reactor). I honestly dislike "rode into the sunset and was never seen again" type of fates for play able characters in sequels. The first two originals games made sure you know they remained bad asses and became creators or leaders of entire societies, thats awesome.

Kind of made me want a new game set in the capital wasteland but set 15-20 years later, maybe with the lone wanderer being a subject of legend and thay being shown to us as communities all had a different impact thanks to it.

But its bethesda, who cares? They wont.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
Also, anyone wonders what was the Lone Wanderer's ultimate fate? I doubt he /she would have approved of the direction the brotherhood took (especially since its implied they raided Rivet city for its core reactor). I honestly dislike "rode into the sunset and was never seen again" type of fates for play able characters in sequels. The first two originals games made sure you know they remained bad asses and became creators or leaders of entire societies, thats awesome.

Kind of made me want a new game set in the capital wasteland but set 15-20 years later, maybe with the lone wanderer being a subject of legend and thay being shown to us as communities all had a different impact thanks to it.

But its bethesda, who cares? They wont.
That's the problem with having a character who's motivations are controlled by the player. Your Lone Wanderer might have had an objection with taking the core from Rivet City while mine was perfectly fine with it and someone else's would have gladly went along with it and shot anyone who had objections to it. It becomes hard to continue to write for such a character when they are out of player hands. One thing that all Lone Wanderers had in common though was that they liked to wander around, loot things, solve or cause problems, and move on. So I don't mind the idea that the Lone Wanderer basically just kept playing Fallout 3 but left the capital wasteland doing so.

Making a game set in the capital wasteland again is its own can of worms. You have to establish what the Lone Wanderer did there and that means you make a save importer or Q and A session at the start of the game or you just make certain choices canon and non-canon and invalidate certain people's playthroughs. You have to figure out if Megaton is dead, is Tenpenny Tower full of ghouls, is Dave is still President for life. Fallout 2 avoided a lot of these problems by having the game take place in a mostly different places and revisiting towns from the first game.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fallout 2 straight up canonized tons of Fallout 1 with the journal of the Vault Dweller. It acknowledged no choices you made, and part of the reason is that there weren't as many big choices in Fallout 1 as people think there are. The other part is that it didn't even import saves from 1. Canonizing certain aspects of Fallout 3 would be pretty easy. It's already canon that Megaton wasn't blown up and that the Lone Wanderer helped the BoS nuke the Enclave.

This would be one of those things that old fans would look like faggots for complaining about. Just like when they talk about ending linearity when Fallout 2 has just as linear an ending as 3.

Burned Man

kiwifarms.net
Fallout 2 straight up canonized tons of Fallout 1 with the journal of the Vault Dweller. It acknowledged no choices you made, and part of the reason is that there weren't as many big choices in Fallout 1 as people think there are. The other part is that it didn't even import saves from 1. Canonizing certain aspects of Fallout 3 would be pretty easy. It's already canon that Megaton wasn't blown up and that the Lone Wanderer helped the BoS nuke the Enclave.

This would be one of those things that old fans would look like faggots for complaining about. Just like when they talk about ending linearity when Fallout 2 has just as linear an ending as 3.
I don't mind the endings for the main story being a bit linear and having resolutions that make sense its more for all the side stuff and whether certain settlements thrived or died. My ideal answer would be to have sequels take place in new settings and have the occasional nod or snippet of information about what happened in the last game. You could even have contradictory takes on the events of the game showing just how large the legend of the protagonist has become.

Say you have some characters taking around a fire about the defense of Big Town and how the legendary Lone Wanderer was there and taught the residents how to shoot guns before another cuts them off and tells them they were wrong and they actually saved the town by fixing the scrapped robots there. The third character around the campfire just chimes in and says they heard that the Lone Wanderer just took a super sledge to the attacking mutants.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
That's the problem with having a character who's motivations are controlled by the player. Your Lone Wanderer might have had an objection with taking the core from Rivet City while mine was perfectly fine with it and someone else's would have gladly went along with it and shot anyone who had objections to it. It becomes hard to continue to write for such a character when they are out of player hands. One thing that all Lone Wanderers had in common though was that they liked to wander around, loot things, solve or cause problems, and move on. So I don't mind the idea that the Lone Wanderer basically just kept playing Fallout 3 but left the capital wasteland doing so.

Making a game set in the capital wasteland again is its own can of worms. You have to establish what the Lone Wanderer did there and that means you make a save importer or Q and A session at the start of the game or you just make certain choices canon and non-canon and invalidate certain people's playthroughs. You have to figure out if Megaton is dead, is Tenpenny Tower full of ghouls, is Dave is still President for life. Fallout 2 avoided a lot of these problems by having the game take place in a mostly different places and revisiting towns from the first game.
I don't mind the endings for the main story being a bit linear and having resolutions that make sense its more for all the side stuff and whether certain settlements thrived or died. My ideal answer would be to have sequels take place in new settings and have the occasional nod or snippet of information about what happened in the last game. You could even have contradictory takes on the events of the game showing just how large the legend of the protagonist has become.

Say you have some characters taking around a fire about the defense of Big Town and how the legendary Lone Wanderer was there and taught the residents how to shoot guns before another cuts them off and tells them they were wrong and they actually saved the town by fixing the scrapped robots there. The third character around the campfire just chimes in and says they heard that the Lone Wanderer just took a super sledge to the attacking mutants.
Okay, here comes a bit wall of text, guess this has been in my chest for a while since playing F4 so why not use the chance to share it? Anyway...

I understand Bethesda probably didnt want to use repeated settings, but perhaps its the attachement I have for the Capital Wasteland (since F3 was my first Fallout entry and PS3 game, as Im sure it was for many others) but I honestly felt that, outside of the situation with Synths and The institute (that was foreshadowed quite a lot in 3 and a tiny bit in NV), the Commonwealth doesnt feel as interesting as TCW. Honestly, the few times that the current state of TCW is mentioned, Im honestly more interested in seeing it in 2287 than I am with the Commonwealth.
Part of me wished that they had a DLC or something taking place there (not entirely but maybe a small portion of it with the bigger and improved Megaton as the hub).

Also I was no fan of the current direction of the West Chapter of the BOS. I know the purists will cruxify me for daring to suggest that an organization so spread out like the BOS would dare to have a chapter that would start to actually question the higher chain of command back home, especially since the chapter back home is REALLY not doing as well as it once did (as showing in F2 and NV). I liked the duality between the BOS and the outcasts, so you still had the "OG BOS" somewhat in the game (with an entire DLC dedicated to them). I mean, the West Chapter had Liberty Prime AND Project Purity, they were possibly doing better than the California chapter ever did (Outside of aiding on defeating The Master's Army and The Enclave, the BOS didnt really do much to gain the people's favor). F4 kind of seemed to try to please purists by having them mostly back to their "All your tech are belong to us" ways but I dont think that it felt like a natural developtment. What I mean is that, I get it that Elder Lyons could have died of simple old age or something but it felt like Sarah again dying right after felt very forced, almost like they were perhaps setting something up but never went through with it (and Im aware not all members of BOS were pleased with just handling purified water for free to the general populace but you would imagine they would either let it go or desert to the outcasts). Besides, Maxson always came off as an arrogant douche (not sure if that was their intention tho), guess you can say he became a "Mongo" (get it? Cuz he appears in 3 as a little boi), acting like he is hotshit when the BOS West Chapter is just as big as it is because of the previous elders defeating the Enclave (and using their tech) and "borrowing" Project Purity since its creators are either dead or left (and the son/daughter just didnt bother to actually have a problem with it). Also, again, its not confirmed but its theorized the BOS raided Rivet City to build their own Hindenburg (since one of the computers mention them "raiding a warship" of sorts and the only known to exist is Rivet City), again, not confirmed but it is a frightening possibility to those that grew attached to the location. So yeah, Im not a fan of F4's BOS, they felt fine as being a different and perhaps even benevolent organization that stood out from its original chapter ( I guess I prefer when different chapters of a single organization or group actually do bother to not be copy and paste clones that do and spew about the same thing).

Speaking about cities and towns, I will just quickly say that TCW, which was suppose to be way more destroyed than The Commonwealth, had more communities on it than the latter. There is only Diamond City and...kind of it, isnt it? There are other smaller ones, yes but they dont feel like I can affect them as much before...feel like they are just there and kind of it for the most part, now I dont know if thats because of the building mechanics or if they truly couldnt be bothered to make more settings.

...oh and of course, Galaxy News Radio is miles better than Diamond City Radio, sorry but Three Dog is still the man with the smooth voice that makes me less afraid of the dark subway tunnels. It all comes down to "personality" which I think F3 had a lot of it.

I honestly think it would have been more interesting to have TCW set 10 years later and then have a bigger map with new communities and locations that developted (since a lot can happen in 10 years).

Now I can write on and on about what I would have prefered plotwise but my point is to say that I think F4 kind of shat the bed in keeping me interested that much in the commonwealth (I still like it but I still think TCW is still the most interesting location, Im not comparing them to New Vegas's since they are way different given the distance but even NV kept me more involved than The Commonwealth). Perhaps it was a sign of Bethesda's stagnation, climaxing with the disaster that was F76...

I guess I can conclude by saying:

"Aint that a kick in the head?"

Burned Man

kiwifarms.net
Okay, here comes a bit wall of text, guess this has been in my chest for a while since playing F4 so why not use the chance to share it? Anyway...

I understand Bethesda probably didnt want to use repeated settings, but perhaps its the attachement I have for the Capital Wasteland (since F3 was my first Fallout entry and PS3 game, as Im sure it was for many others) but I honestly felt that, outside of the situation with Synths and The institute (that was foreshadowed quite a lot in 3 and a tiny bit in NV), the Commonwealth doesnt feel as interesting as TCW. Honestly, the few times that the current state of TCW is mentioned, Im honestly more interested in seeing it in 2287 than I am with the Commonwealth.
Part of me wished that they had a DLC or something taking place there (not entirely but maybe a small portion of it with the bigger and improved Megaton as the hub).

Also I was no fan of the current direction of the West Chapter of the BOS. I know the purists will cruxify me for daring to suggest that an organization so spread out like the BOS would dare to have a chapter that would start to actually question the higher chain of command back home, especially since the chapter back home is REALLY not doing as well as it once did (as showing in F2 and NV). I liked the duality between the BOS and the outcasts, so you still had the "OG BOS" somewhat in the game (with an entire DLC dedicated to them). I mean, the West Chapter had Liberty Prime AND Project Purity, they were possibly doing better than the California chapter ever did (Outside of aiding on defeating The Master's Army and The Enclave, the BOS didnt really do much to gain the people's favor). F4 kind of seemed to try to please purists by having them mostly back to their "All your tech are belong to us" ways but I dont think that it felt like a natural developtment. What I mean is that, I get it that Elder Lyons could have died of simple old age or something but it felt like Sarah again dying right after felt very forced, almost like they were perhaps setting something up but never went through with it (and Im aware not all members of BOS were pleased with just handling purified water for free to the general populace but you would imagine they would either let it go or desert to the outcasts). Besides, Maxson always came off as an arrogant douche (not sure if that was their intention tho), guess you can say he became a "Mongo" (get it? Cuz he appears in 3 as a little boi), acting like he is hotshit when the BOS West Chapter is just as big as it is because of the previous elders defeating the Enclave (and using their tech) and "borrowing" Project Purity since its creators are either dead or left (and the son/daughter just didnt bother to actually have a problem with it). Also, again, its not confirmed but its theorized the BOS raided Rivet City to build their own Hindenburg (since one of the computers mention them "raiding a warship" of sorts and the only known to exist is Rivet City), again, not confirmed but it is a frightening possibility to those that grew attached to the location. So yeah, Im not a fan of F4's BOS, they felt fine as being a different and perhaps even benevolent organization that stood out from its original chapter ( I guess I prefer when different chapters of a single organization or group actually do bother to not be copy and paste clones that do and spew about the same thing).

Speaking about cities and towns, I will just quickly say that TCW, which was suppose to be way more destroyed than The Commonwealth, had more communities on it than the latter. There is only Diamond City and...kind of it, isnt it? There are other smaller ones, yes but they dont feel like I can affect them as much before...feel like they are just there and kind of it for the most part, now I dont know if thats because of the building mechanics or if they truly couldnt be bothered to make more settings.

...oh and of course, Galaxy News Radio is miles better than Diamond City Radio, sorry but Three Dog is still the man with the smooth voice that makes me less afraid of the dark subway tunnels. It all comes down to "personality" which I think F3 had a lot of it.

I honestly think it would have been more interesting to have TCW set 10 years later and then have a bigger map with new communities and locations that developted (since a lot can happen in 10 years).

Now I can write on and on about what I would have prefered plotwise but my point is to say that I think F4 kind of shat the bed in keeping me interested that much in the commonwealth (I still like it but I still think TCW is still the most interesting location, Im not comparing them to New Vegas's since they are way different given the distance but even NV kept me more involved than The Commonwealth). Perhaps it was a sign of Bethesda's stagnation, climaxing with the disaster that was F76...

I guess I can conclude by saying:

"Aint that a kick in the head?"
Maxson was ok he seemed to be a weird mix of all the other BOS chapters. He wants to keep dangerous tech out of people's hands like West Coast BOS, wants to defend the people like Lyon's BOS but generally in a more aggressive way, and he is willing to "protect" the locals for food and supplies like the midwest Brotherhood. I imagine he wanted to follow Lyon's lead but became more cynical after losing his mentor/ father figure and childhood crush in rapid succession. He also needed to embrace the original ideals of the Brotherhood to get the Outcasts back into the fold as well as receive support from the West Coast Brotherhood which was much needed after a decade of war of attrition against the DC supermutants,

If it eases your mind its entirely possible the Brotherhood wouldn't want to rock the boat and take from Rivet City since they depended on them to deliver and secure the water shipments around the wasteland and instead raided the part of the ship that is nothing but mirelurks and plastic surgeons.

I feel the same way about the capital wasteland but I don't think Bethesda returning to it could end with anything other then disappointment.

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
Maxson was ok he seemed to be a weird mix of all the other BOS chapters. He wants to keep dangerous tech out of people's hands like West Coast BOS, wants to defend the people like Lyon's BOS but generally in a more aggressive way, and he is willing to "protect" the locals for food and supplies like the midwest Brotherhood. I imagine he wanted to follow Lyon's lead but became more cynical after losing his mentor/ father figure and childhood crush in rapid succession. He also needed to embrace the original ideals of the Brotherhood to get the Outcasts back into the fold as well as receive support from the West Coast Brotherhood which was much needed after a decade of war of attrition against the DC supermutants,

If it eases your mind its entirely possible the Brotherhood wouldn't want to rock the boat and take from Rivet City since they depended on them to deliver and secure the water shipments around the wasteland and instead raided the part of the ship that is nothing but mirelurks and plastic surgeons.

I feel the same way about the capital wasteland but I don't think Bethesda returning to it could end with anything other then disappointment.
True that. It would be a waste to simply retread TCW wholesale anyway when there's so much around the East Coast we haven't seen yet. NYC metro area, Atlanta and the surrounding countryside, and Florida are each key parts of the East Coast that remain to be explored and fleshed out if Bethesda decides to keep focusing there. Exempting that, the Chicago wasteland and New Orleans have amazing opportunities and the DLC you could get from those would go above and beyond anything else they've produced (imagine going on a ferry from Chicago to Toronto and raking leaves or heading from the Bayou for a Cuban vacation where it's like NV but not desert).

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
FO76 team leader: "We've finally moved past the technical issues at launch and have added in enough features to restore our reputation among our fans"
Todd Howard: (nods head, steeples fingers and squints) "Begin Operation Shakedown"
To be technical, they haven't even added in enough features to restore their reputation yet - the big patch they've been teasing (Wastelanders) they delayed until end of Q1 2020 (from November 2019). Presumably so they could get the "premium membership" out on time.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net

I can see your point with Maxson, I just wished he made that a bit more clear, perhaps the tough guy had a more open side that could become more clear if we sided with the Brotherhood. But still, I just think that any altruism they had left from 3 was kind of there just in theory and again, I guess I just have an attachment with the F3 BOS since they were tecnically the first chapter I met (I didnt have a PC and would take a while before I played and beat 1 and 2, awesome games.)

Yeah, perhaps if they kept the same writers and world builders but with current Bethesda? I rather wait for the F4 TCW Mod to revive my F3 marathons and pretend that things are fine back in TCW thanks to the Lone Wanderer (wherever he/she is).

Funny that you mention that:
1571854094971.png

Oh for fuck sakes...

Im waiting for the Internet Historian to make a Part 2 to his F76 video because this shit DOESNT STOP COMING!

I was kind of willing to give it a try if it just went ahead and became free-to-play like Destiny 2 did but nope!

Fuck you, Bethesda.

To be technical, they haven't even added in enough features to restore their reputation yet - the big patch they've been teasing (Wastelanders) they delayed until end of Q1 2020 (from November 2019). Presumably so they could get the "premium membership" out on time.
Its all for their god damn Atomic Shop...

Gottahavemysips

kiwifarms.net
Bethesda just really wants to absolutely destroy any last vestige of good will it's customers have, I suppose. F76 has been such a damn embarrassment since the day it was announced. To anyone even slightly in the know, the game was a lemon the second multiplayer as well as creation engine were uttered. It's crazy, there are a lot of fans practically chomping at the bit for Bethesda to redeem themselves, it wouldn't take so much effort. Instead of pulling something like No Man's Sky, which both focused on free content updates and actually delivering on promises made, they just keep making it worse.
Forget shooting themselves in the foot, they are intent on dropping nukes on their own head. How the fuck do you screw up this bad with one of the biggest WRPG franchises?

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pete Hines.

But I don't know. Bethesda just cannot compete with its own modding community. Even when they rip off features its done poorly.

The real problem is what plagues the gaming industry is the same as Hollywood. They see Fortnite super sucessful as a 'Game as a Service' and go right for that. They just try and attempt to copy what is popular, and now they're going classic MMO route. Its just lemmings following each other off of a cliff.

• Feels
Reactions: millais

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, Bethesda has always been one of the most incompetent developers in the business. They've just gotten greedy over time as well.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino