Fallout series -

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because he's old and gay and was booted out of the faggiest faction in New Vegas.

But good lord was he a great villain (I know a lot of voice acting in New Vegas is sub-par, but damn did Father Elijah's VA earn his pay check) in what is my opinion the best DLC for New Vegas. Yeah I know some people didn't like it because it was hard, and the collars could be a bit bullshit sometimes, and choosing one wrong dialogue option for a companion could turn them against you...But I honestly felt that all lent itself to the opressive atmosphere of the Sierra Madre. Fallout games aren't scary, even when they try to be, but sweet Sunset Sarsaparilla there were moments in Dead Money that got me on the edge of my seat.

God did Obsidian make a good Fallout game. Not gonna lie, a small part of me hopes that Elder Scrolls 6 bombs just so the Bethesda will turn to Obsidian to make another Fallout game just out of desperation.
Bethesda could easily save Fallout simply by swallowing their pride and inviting back the New Vegas crew to do Fallout 5. But there's just too much ego at this point.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
One of the best things Bethesda did was to capture the 50s aesthetic of Fallout. Fallout 1 and 2 were limited by their graphics. Only some of the car wrecks and prewar items looked like the 50s.

In contrast, Fallout 3 gave us robots, weapons, and a host of miscellaneous items that looked like a futuristic version of the 50s.
You are correct, Bethesda really played up the 1950s vibe which is one of the few ways they improved on things over the original 2.

Bethesda could easily save Fallout simply by swallowing their pride and inviting back the New Vegas crew to do Fallout 5. But there's just too much ego at this point.
The idea of a next gen Fallout 5 by the New Vegas crew gives me an erection.

Imperial Citizen

kiwifarms.net
The idea of a next gen Fallout 5 by the New Vegas crew gives me an erection.
New Vegas was lightning in a bottle. I don’t think you’d be able get a similar game even if you get the same team. Especially the political climate. I believe JE Sawyer Chris Avellone recently said that he would have shown that the Legion as unambiguously bad and let’s not forget that Sawyer supported hbomberguy’s Mermaid’s UK charity stream.

Imagine a Fallout with the unsubtle political/social commentary of The Outer Worlds.

Last edited:

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not to mention, people that worked on the game such as Avellone and Sawyer have left Obsidian. Granted, I hear Outer Worlds did well so another Fallout from Obsidian could still be good even without Avellone writing a fuck ton of shit that gets shaved off and all but at this point if Obsidian was able to make another Fallout, one wonders if they can try a new region that isn't the west coast or the east coast. Maybe focusing more on the wasteland and not just city limits where you got a one big city and everything else is a small settlement like 3 and 4 did.

New Vegas was lightning in a bottle. I don’t think you’d be able get a similar game even if you get the same team. Especially the political climate. I believe JE Sawyer recently said that he would have shown that the Legion as unambiguously bad and let’s not forget that’s he supported hbomberguy’s Mermaid’s UK charity stream.

Imagine a Fallout with the unsubtle political/social commentary of The Outer Worlds.
If the devs were to try and give you the idea that only this faction is good and the other is bad, I can imagine rolling my eyes and going sure. For me, I could feel it being no different than from 4 when they give you four different factions and the only difference was some gimmick to them. They could say 1 and 2 gave commentary but from all the hours spent into them, it gave sympathy to a mound of flesh in 1 and 2 telling me that the best ending after a fan made bug fix for a douchebag faction was letting them be independent and cooperate with a group they were racist to. For the Legion bit, I thought that was Aveone saying he wishes people didn't have any sympathy to them even though their opponent turned out to only be slightly better.

Reactions: LordOfTheBleach

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Avellone was the one who claims he wished the Legion wasn't joinable after someone sent him some dumb MUH MISOGYNY takes on Twitter. Sawyer claims the Legion ended up coming across as more misogynist than he intended and that he regrets not having had the time to add more Legion content east of the Colorado River.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Not to mention, people that worked on the game such as Avellone and Sawyer have left Obsidian. Granted, I hear Outer Worlds did well so another Fallout from Obsidian could still be good even without Avellone writing a fuck ton of shit that gets shaved off and all but at this point if Obsidian was able to make another Fallout, one wonders if they can try a new region that isn't the west coast or the east coast. Maybe focusing more on the wasteland and not just city limits where you got a one big city and everything else is a small settlement like 3 and 4 did.
Map size is one thing probably limits having several larger cities, there wouldn't be much wasteland left. A return to how Fallout 1 & 2 or even Arena/Daggerfall did it could be cool, who cares if 90% of the wasteland is boring proceduraly generated terrain, that's suitable for a wasteland. It would bring back the excitement of uncovering the map and being surprised by what you find. I like the 3D Fallout games and the map is by no means tiny, but you can often spot too much in the distance, you see something that you know you will return to on a quest at a later date/higher level and things like that.

Reactions: Dom Cruise

vertexwindi

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like the 3D Fallout games and the map is by no means tiny, but you can often spot too much in the distance, you see something that you know you will return to on a quest at a later date/higher level and things like that.
It's a trade-off between a world that's believably big and a world that's fun to explore. In the Fallout 3D titles, I'd rather have a fun world because for some reason they refuse to add ways to make exploring go by faster, even though FO2 had the Highwayman so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for the setting. TES has horses as well so I don't see why not.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
It's a trade-off between a world that's believably big and a world that's fun to explore. In the Fallout 3D titles, I'd rather have a fun world because for some reason they refuse to add ways to make exploring go by faster, even though FO2 had the Highwayman so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for the setting. TES has horses as well so I don't see why not.
I was thinking a map like in the 2D Fallout games for fast-travel and not in-world traversing. The map starts dark with only your immediate surroundings/vault/settlement marked out and from there you start to uncover it. Settlements and large things are added by passing near them, which is reasonable because they would be easy to spot from a distance, other things requires more exact coordinates where you travel to specific spot and then go in to the world to find the actual location. If it's close enough the player would then stand outside the entrance to a vault, cave, small camp or mysterious hole in the ground. If they go from the map into the world at a random spot it would just be wasteland, unless they are incredibly lucky or know beforehand where something is located.

I'm not NoMutantsAllowed levels of insane but I have some absurd adoration of the old games. I played so much Fallout 1, during summer break my routine was to wake up, grab a cup of tea, play Fallout with breaks for lunch and dinner... Then go to sleep, repeat.

vertexwindi

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was thinking a map like in the 2D Fallout games for fast-travel and not in-world traversing.
You could do that, but it's clear at this point that Bethesda isn't interested in that. For what it's worth, having the whole map be playable adds a lot to the immersion and allows for more natural-feeling battles than random encounters. Eh.

• Thunk-Provoking

Imperial Citizen

kiwifarms.net

If the devs were to try and give you the idea that only this faction is good and the other is bad, I can imagine rolling my eyes and going sure. For me, I could feel it being no different than from 4 when they give you four different factions and the only difference was some gimmick to them. They could say 1 and 2 gave commentary but from all the hours spent into them, it gave sympathy to a mound of flesh in 1 and 2 telling me that the best ending after a fan made bug fix for a douchebag faction was letting them be independent and cooperate with a group they were racist to. For the Legion bit, I thought that was Aveone saying he wishes people didn't have any sympathy to them even though their opponent turned out to only be slightly better.
I’ll give Bethesda credit for giving all the factions in 4 positives and negatives. The Institue is scientifically advanced but cares little for humanity. The BoS will protect humanity at the cost of genociding mutants. The Minutemen want to help the wasteland but are too weak to create a civilization and has collapsed due to traitors going with the Gunners. The Railroad help the Synths but do little else.

The in game outcome of each faction is the same, but Bethesda should be given credit for eschewing the black and white morality of Fallout 3.

Not to mention that removing the karma system actually gives more moral ambiguity to your character’s actions.

• Agree
Reactions: c-no

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
This is exactly one of my problems with Fallout 4, 3, and even New Vegas. You can get Power Armor working again, but you can't repair a car? Fuck, the fact that you couldn't even buy a pack brahmin was kinda dumb given how often you see them used by wastelanders. You could possibly even train them as mounts, but we've never seen it for some bizarre reason.
Fuck, even having some sort of contrived "fast travel" option like a guy with a truck that acts as more or less a time consuming doorway would be something.
Adding vehicles would definitely be an improvement. And people can't even complain that "it'd make exploration boring!" because the simple fact is that a LOT of places would be utterly inaccessable by vehicle, meaning you'd still have to hoof it around a bit outside of the main roads.

Just imagine how fun that'd be? Having to find parts for your post apocalyptic bus/van while finding better and better tech to hook into it. Tired of being chased by shit? Integrate a Stealth Boy into the engine. Sure it goes through batteries like a jet addict, but when you've just driven into the nesting grounds of a pack of Deathclaws it'd be pretty fucking useful.

vertexwindi

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is exactly one of my problems with Fallout 4, 3, and even New Vegas. You can get Power Armor working again, but you can't repair a car? Fuck, the fact that you couldn't even buy a pack brahmin was kinda dumb given how often you see them used by wastelanders.
Funny thing is that was gonna be an option in NV but they cut it out for some reason.

• Informative

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Funny thing is that was gonna be an option in NV but they cut it out for some reason.
I feel like NV came very close to having functional trains in it (mostly because of the Powder Gangers, but also because a lot of rail routes seem relatively intact) but then just didn't for some reason.

Also, Fallout 4 already fucked up the lore of "there's no fuel left" by giving the Brotherhood a fleet of vertibirds that constantly crash all over downtown Boston, so there's no reason they can't just give us a car. The Highwayman was so fuckin' cool, too.

Snekposter

kiwifarms.net
Personally I'd love to see first-hand the rebuilding the NCR is doing that's only mentioned in dialogue in New Vegas. One person mentions money flooding in to the Boneyard and of course, the quarrymen are shipping their limestone out by rail, not to mention the Powder Gangers were used as convict labor to extend the lines to New Vegas.

So, following the Legion's retreat from Nevada and Caesar's death, in true Roman style they've got a triumvirate going on between Vulpes, Lucius, and Lanius, each instituting their own idea of Caesar's vision. Vulpes and his men are the truest to the old legion and its austerity and discipline, Lanius and his men have descended back down into tribal barbarism since the Legion he never liked failed him, and Lucius has taken Caesar's Hegelian thought and applied it to their defeat to establish a quasi-Republic. Its been ten years since the NCR's very nearly Pyrrhic victory at Hoover Dam, and they've been unwilling to poke the sleeping bull, expanding into other territories and rebuilding a proper nation. You're sent in all by yourself to gather intel for the NCR on what's been going on, and you end up doing things for people getting noticed and in places you can hear and influence things, and you get to choose your side at the end, NCR, Vulpes, Lanius, or Lucius, and with the option to convince Lucius of the faults in Caesar's vision and submit to becoming the NCR's latest state.

• Thunk-Provoking

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
one wonders if they can try a new region that isn't the west coast or the east coast.
Personally I'd like to see a return to the Los Angeles area from the original game, but in 3D.

However only if it was Obsidian developing, not Bethesda.

I like the ideas of a huge open wasteland with procedurally generated content and the return of the Highwayman as well.

Chive Turkey

kiwifarms.net
Avellone was the one who claims he wished the Legion wasn't joinable after someone sent him some dumb MUH MISOGYNY takes on Twitter. Sawyer claims the Legion ended up coming across as more misogynist than he intended and that he regrets not having had the time to add more Legion content east of the Colorado River.
Avellone also had full creative control over the BEAR BULL snoozefest that was Lonesome Road (with Ulysses being his particular donut steel pet character), as well as Old World Blues to a large extent. He can clearly be a good writer/designer when he wants to, but he's certainly no stranger to the smell of his own farts either.

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
Avellone also had full creative control over the BEAR BULL snoozefest that was Lonesome Road (with Ulysses being his particular donut steel pet character), as well as Old World Blues to a large extent. He can clearly be a good writer/designer when he wants to, but he's certainly no stranger to the smell of his own farts either.
I didn't mind Lonesome Road, but I do think it was the weakest of the DLCs for New Vegas. It certainly had some interesting shit, the Marked Men were kinda fun to fight. But the whole "you destroyed this community I'm illogically convinced will be the best thing ever by complete accident so now I'm going to destroy the base of a faction you barely give a shit about!" schtick really didn't make me think the guy was a great character. His motivations were insanely irrational.
I did like that we got a little bit more info about ED-E and the Enclave, tho.

Snekposter

kiwifarms.net
Ulysses had actually decided to settle down and live there, free of the discipline and fetters of the Legion. And then when the NCR and Legon fought over it and you brought the remote detonator, well, of course he broke down screaming that you blew it up, and god damn the Courier to hell. It was a new home for a man who had lost his to Vulpes Inculta and the all-consuming Legion, after all. Ulysses is not thinking rationally, which is why when you gather the logs and force him to retrace his steps, you're able to convince him of what a terrible mistake he's made.

EDIT: Try and replace "Bear and Bull" with "memes" in your mind and see if things don't make at least a bit more sense.

Tags
None