Fallout series -

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
I'd have to disagree with the idea of a ginormous procedural generated wasteland if you are going to be exploring it in real time. In Daggerfall if you try and walk from two locations to the other you get 30 to 40 minutes of walking with absolutely nothing in between. Sure the world is huge but its empty outside of all the map locations. If you do procedurally generate it and it still massive in size then you'd get a lot of the same stuff repeated which will dilute the sense of exploration.

I'd like something like Fallout 3 but just multiplied a bit. The actual wasteland in 3 felt expansive enough and you'd be able to see points of interest on the distant horizon that would take a while to actually reach and when you finally got there after 20 minutes you'd look at the map and realize that was only a grid or two. 4 however was cluttered full of stuff every ten feet you'd find a shanty with skeletons in it or a drainpipe with loot and mire lurks. It didn't feel like a barren wasteland and more like a junkyard.

Vehicles I'm iffy on. I'd be fine with something like horses or a motorcycle/atv or something light like that. I'm just afraid if they added a car they would make it too gimmicky. I can just see Todd Howard on stage giving the presentation about how this car is your home away from home, its got all the workbenches you need, it has a gps radio system that allows it to call in merchants to your position so you never have to go to town to sell your junk again, and last but not least it would have some sort of on board ai with a snarky personality to talk to you and drive to your position if you ever leave it behind. You also know there would be a scene of the protagonist fixing the car in the intro and when he turns the key in the ignition he'd say "It just works."

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm just afraid if they added a car they would make it too gimmicky. I can just see Todd Howard on stage giving the presentation about how this car is your home away from home, its got all the workbenches you need, it has a gps radio system that allows it to call in merchants to your position so you never have to go to town to sell your junk again, and last but not least it would have some sort of on board ai with a snarky personality to talk to you and drive to your position if you ever leave it behind. You also know there would be a scene of the protagonist fixing the car in the intro and when he turns the key in the ignition he'd say "It just works."
Oh god. I take back everything I said, that absolutely sounds like something they'd do.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
I'm not NoMutantsAllowed levels of insane but I have some absurd adoration of the old games. I played so much Fallout 1, during summer break my routine was to wake up, grab a cup of tea, play Fallout with breaks for lunch and dinner... Then go to sleep, repeat.
Same. Residency for me was split between seeing patients and punching people in the dick in Fallout 2 when I was supposed to be sleeping in the lounge.

no sleep only power fist

Sug Benis

It's hip to fuck clones
kiwifarms.net
The message that I get from the series is that ideology is often just a mask for tribalism, that's the point behind the "war never changes" message. Ultimately, the US and China were starving dogs protecting their turf, it wasn't any more complicated than that. The games definitely often seem to lean towards libertarian ideals, but at the same time Lonesome Road makes the point that tribalism (or at least finding a home to invest in) can be a good thing. The entire theme behind the DLC is that Ulysses finally found some measure of peace in Ashton, and the Courier came and fucked that up by accidentally blowing up the town and never looking back, because that's the nature of wanderers who never get attached to anything. Honest Hearts deals with the same message, and at no point does the game heavily chide you for choosing to drive the White-Legs out of Zion, which might as well be one of the most nationalistic and tribal choices you can make in the series. The DLC goes to great lengths to let you determine for yourself if this way of thinking is sometimes justified.
Single best take on this debate I've seen lately.

I was thinking a map like in the 2D Fallout games for fast-travel and not in-world traversing. The map starts dark with only your immediate surroundings/vault/settlement marked out and from there you start to uncover it. Settlements and large things are added by passing near them, which is reasonable because they would be easy to spot from a distance, other things requires more exact coordinates where you travel to specific spot and then go in to the world to find the actual location. If it's close enough the player would then stand outside the entrance to a vault, cave, small camp or mysterious hole in the ground. If they go from the map into the world at a random spot it would just be wasteland, unless they are incredibly lucky or know beforehand where something is located.

I'm not NoMutantsAllowed levels of insane but I have some absurd adoration of the old games. I played so much Fallout 1, during summer break my routine was to wake up, grab a cup of tea, play Fallout with breaks for lunch and dinner... Then go to sleep, repeat.
This just reminds me. I had a mod for New Vegas once, one that adds driveable vehicles to the commonwealth. Was, to borrow an off-misused 4chan phrase, comfy. Fixing up the beaten old truck at the old gas station in goodsprings, and cruising my way around after Benny in cowboy style. Then I got an armored up Mad Max II tanker truck to haul my shit around with me, including a deployable sentry bot from another mod (RobCo Certified, I can remember the name of that one) to pop out if shit went down, and turned into a trading powerhouse with the help of a few in-game mercantile and economy mods. You haven't lived New Vegas style til you've run a couple hundred pounds of hash, moonshine, and ordinance through Caesar's legion territory with Boone in a machinegun turret, Cass riding shotgun in a very literal sense, and a sentry bot wheeling after you.

Then I got a motorcycle, welded on a gatling laser, and that was the thing that ended up corrupting my 100+ hour save file and I never tried that mod again. Maybe I should do so and just avoid motorcycles and/or vehicle mounted weapons like the plague.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ll give Bethesda credit for giving all the factions in 4 positives and negatives. The Institue is scientifically advanced but cares little for humanity. The BoS will protect humanity at the cost of genociding mutants. The Minutemen want to help the wasteland but are too weak to create a civilization and has collapsed due to traitors going with the Gunners. The Railroad help the Synths but do little else.

The in game outcome of each faction is the same, but Bethesda should be given credit for eschewing the black and white morality of Fallout 3.

Not to mention that removing the karma system actually gives more moral ambiguity to your character’s actions.
The factions did feel underwhelming, at least with the Institute's motives because I still don't see how replacing people with robot doubles is really redefining mankind. And the Railroad still feels weird for me in how a handful of people are somehow one hell of a thorn in the side of the faction that has terminators and laser guns. Still, it all is better than the black and white morality shoehorned in from Fallout 3. Oddly enough, 3 made some better use with karma at least in what companions you could get but even that would be shaky if one would note that with some characters, you could of been given the option of giving them caps or at least showing you weren't someone that was under-equipped, along with hitmen coming after you depending on your karma but even that was underwhelming since who would really give a fuck about some vault dweller giving hobbies bottles of clean water. New Vegas did hitmen better since that was tied to which faction you pissed off and karma wasn't the only thing you had going for you since towns and factions still hold any reservations until you did them good or bad directly.

Vehicles I'm iffy on. I'd be fine with something like horses or a motorcycle/atv or something light like that. I'm just afraid if they added a car they would make it too gimmicky. I can just see Todd Howard on stage giving the presentation about how this car is your home away from home, its got all the workbenches you need, it has a gps radio system that allows it to call in merchants to your position so you never have to go to town to sell your junk again, and last but not least it would have some sort of on board ai with a snarky personality to talk to you and drive to your position if you ever leave it behind. You also know there would be a scene of the protagonist fixing the car in the intro and when he turns the key in the ignition he'd say "It just works."
Alternatively, if they add a car in, it doesn't have workbenches or merchants for you to call in but it's all still just an underwhelming drive where you see your character drive by themselves rather than letting you have any control, with the car being even more fragile than vertibirds that any vehicle you see will be smoldering wrecks that'll disappear. I can imagine the vehicle being jank enough that it'd make me prefer the vehicles from the Skynet and Futureshock games Bethesda made for the Terminator franchise. Those gave you a car to drive and I can imagine that being leagues more fun than any possible underwhelming jank. funnily enough, there were some vehicle mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas that shows it can be done though granted, they could still be held back by any limitations of the engine or the game.

Tags
None