Fallout series -

Imperial Citizen

For the Empire!
kiwifarms.net
Fallout 1 still had a healthy dose of demonizing old America, most notably with the formation of the Brotherhood of Steel. They formed because some US Army regiment was disgusted to learn that America was experimenting with the FEV against Chinese prisoners of war. The very founding of the Brotherhood of Steel was due to the fact that old America was immoral enough to experiment with human captives to create mutant super-soldiers, as if they became just as bad as Josef Mengele.

And of course, the US annexing Canada was them not caring about the rights of other nations so long as they win the war, while China's invasion of Alaska was due to America's greed for oil and not wanting to share it. So again, it was all "AMERICA BAD" from there on in.
There should also be some acknowledgement of the other post-apocalyptic influences on Fallout: Mad Max, A Boy and His Dog, and Wasteland to name a few. Mad Max drew upon the oil crisis of 1973 and both Mad Max 2 and 2 were released during the Reagan administration. A Boy and His Dog was released during Nixon's administration. Wasteland would have been released at the tail end of Reagan's presidency.

Members of Black Isle Studios would have grown up around these times of intensity in the Cold War, with American aggression into Southeast Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Reagan being the most recent example of American aggression. That Republican hostility in foreign relations contrasted with the conciliatory and more peaceful recent Democrat administrations of Carter and Clinton.

It would make sense for Black Isle to depict Pre-War America as an evil, war-mongering, selfish power that cloaked itself in patriotism because that is what they saw as the people in America that were bringing the country to armageddon. Though what saved them from turning Fallout into a political diatribe was never mentioning who started the Great War. While Bethesda has made a few references to the probability that China launched first in response to a potential US victory, never outright stating who did it allows for the Great War to entirely be blamed upon humanity itself. The United States was content on using their citizens as lab rats but China was threating the execution of family members to keep spies on a leash. This helps to transcend the narrow critique against the American right wing into a more universal condemnation of the militaristic mindset.

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
There should also be some acknowledgement of the other post-apocalyptic influences on Fallout: Mad Max, A Boy and His Dog, and Wasteland to name a few. Mad Max drew upon the oil crisis of 1973 and both Mad Max 2 and 2 were released during the Reagan administration. A Boy and His Dog was released during Nixon's administration. Wasteland would have been released at the tail end of Reagan's presidency.

Members of Black Isle Studios would have grown up around these times of intensity in the Cold War, with American aggression into Southeast Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Reagan being the most recent example of American aggression. That Republican hostility in foreign relations contrasted with the conciliatory and more peaceful recent Democrat administrations of Carter and Clinton.

It would make sense for Black Isle to depict Pre-War America as an evil, war-mongering, selfish power that cloaked itself in patriotism because that is what they saw as the people in America that were bringing the country to armageddon. Though what saved them from turning Fallout into a political diatribe was never mentioning who started the Great War. While Bethesda has made a few references to the probability that China launched first in response to a potential US victory, never outright stating who did it allows for the Great War to entirely be blamed upon humanity itself. The United States was content on using their citizens as lab rats but China was threating the execution of family members to keep spies on a leash. This helps to transcend the narrow critique against the American right wing into a more universal condemnation of the militaristic mindset.
Except Fallout 2 practically throws out all nuance by relating right-wing NCR folks to the genocidal Enclave. So no, Fallout 2 was attacking right-wingers of all stripes, not just the Deep-State people in the Enclave.

Also, it seems that Black Isle Studios' devs never even took a look at what the Cold War Americans were up against. The US was pretty aggressive in fighting both the Dixie South and Germany in both World Wars, down to the point where in both WW1 and the Civil War, dissidents were usually imprisoned, and some were even shot. And the Communists were far worse than any Nazi or Southern slave-owner could possibly be. They've killed tens of millions of their own people just to create utopias, and they had nukes, and they were using agents in foreign lands like political agitators and even Hollywood execs.

So of course, America had to be aggressive in fighting them. It was a justified response against an enemy that makes Hitler look like a schoolyard bully. But instead, Black Isle's devs were more obsessed with shitting on old America instead of actually showing both sides of the coin; that the Cold War USA was acting rather aggressive, but they were against something far worse than them.

Name me a major American city that isn't[/url] a leftist shithole these days.
That might not be the case in a couple of decades...........

Imperial Citizen

For the Empire!
kiwifarms.net
Except Fallout 2 practically throws out all nuance by relating right-wing NCR folks to the genocidal Enclave. So no, Fallout 2 was attacking right-wingers of all stripes, not just the Deep-State people in the Enclave.

Also, it seems that Black Isle Studios' devs never even took a look at what the Cold War Americans were up against. The US was pretty aggressive in fighting both the Dixie South and Germany in both World Wars, down to the point where in both WW1 and the Civil War, dissidents were usually imprisoned, and some were even shot. And the Communists were far worse than any Nazi or Southern slave-owner could possibly be. They've killed tens of millions of their own people just to create utopias, and they had nukes, and they were using agents in foreign lands like political agitators and even Hollywood execs.

So of course, America had to be aggressive in fighting them. It was a justified response against an enemy that makes Hitler look like a schoolyard bully. But instead, Black Isle's devs were more obsessed with shitting on old America instead of actually showing both sides of the coin; that the Cold War USA was acting rather aggressive, but they were against something far worse than them.
Yeah, I don't think that we would get an accurate portrayal of Cold War relations from Black Isle, and also some of the classified material related to the Cold War wouldn't come out until after the games were released. What I was saying is that it would make sense for Black Isle to demonize the right-wing because that is what they grew up seeing. Nixon firebombing Vietnam and Reagan funding the Contras. Especially Reagan, the left thought his hard line stance on communism was going to lead to nuclear war.

It would have been better to mock the entirety of the Cold Warriors. Have the Enclave Intelligence department be run by a guy named Mr. X, who has no idea about the wasteland and bases his strategies on games of dominos. Have soldiers debate about the plasma bomb gap. But at the same time this would have shifted the Enclave from a threat to the Wasteland to a political punching bag against the enemies of the developers.

And it feels like Fallout 2, even with the political allusions, is more about mocking American pop culture, such as the Hubologists and Gordon Gecko.

ExceptionallyExceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Already have a lot of nitpicks about Fallout 4.
What monkey decided to make the key to switch between first person and third person the same key as accessing the settlement workshop? Fucking thing is borked as shit and is broken as fuck, it opens the workshop UI then instantly closes it and boots me into 3rd person. Had to download Fallout 4 Hotkeys and bind the "workshop" console command to my Z key. Then I downloaded a mod that yeets the pov shift through the scroll wheel.

I also think the world design is severely lacking. Lots and lots of boarded up buildings and not enough shit to explore.

And what the fuck were they thinking giving you access to Power Armor so fucking fast? And no, only giving you a half depleted fusion core doesn't make up for that. Power Armor is supposed to be something you look forward to finally getting, not something you're handed in the first hour and then restricted from using until you have enough of an arbitrary resource to use. Am I really supposed to believe that an intact suit of power armor and a minigun were in an easily accessible location for 200 years and nobody fucking touched it? There's a line where suspension of disbelief can no longer be maintained in the face of retard logic.

The fact that nearly every goddamn weapon I'm encountering is some variety of slapdash pipe weapon (even in safes that were supposed to be untouched since the war) is obnoxious. I also hate a lot of the asinine new keybinds they decided on, like making Q the key for VATS. I never had a problem reaching my thumb up and over a half inch to hit the V key and got rather used to Q as autowalk. Rebinding so much shit the way they did was unnecessary and asinine.

I also hate that the key to melee with your gun and throw a grenade are the same fucking key. It's counterintuitive as fuck.

And they really did a bad job investing me in the main quest. I give 0 shits about the wife and son shit because they're just meaningless background that were given no time to develop. For fuck's sake I cared more when Jonas died in Fallout 3 than I did when what's his fuck shot my wife.

Also, what absolute subhuman faggot decided not to have Ron Perlman narrate the intro?

Bethesda is like a family member with ever worsening Alzheimer's. They get worse at game design with every passing release.

Last edited:

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I don't think that we would get an accurate portrayal of Cold War relations from Black Isle, and also some of the classified material related to the Cold War wouldn't come out until after the games were released. What I was saying is that it would make sense for Black Isle to demonize the right-wing because that is what they grew up seeing. Nixon firebombing Vietnam and Reagan funding the Contras. Especially Reagan, the left thought his hard line stance on communism was going to lead to nuclear war.
LBJ intensified the Vietnam War. For all his faults, Nixon was the one who called for it to end. The Democrats at the time were just as arrogant and warlike as the Republicans. After all, it was the JFK administration that approved of the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion. That was no less blatant than Reagan funding the Contras.

That, and for all the flaws of both the Republicans and Democrats in the Cold War, neither were as bad as the Communist Party in Russia and China, which killed tens of millions of people in peacetime purges.

It would have been better to mock the entirety of the Cold Warriors. Have the Enclave Intelligence department be run by a guy named Mr. X, who has no idea about the wasteland and bases his strategies on games of dominos. Have soldiers debate about the plasma bomb gap. But at the same time this would have shifted the Enclave from a threat to the Wasteland to a political punching bag against the enemies of the developers.

And it feels like Fallout 2, even with the political allusions, is more about mocking American pop culture, such as the Hubologists and Gordon Gecko.
It still feels like them picking on the right and only the right. Especially when right-wingers in the NCR are thrown in the same category as the Enclave's people, and the two even merge into one power bloc in one of the endings.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ever since 2018, they've been doing some pretty wacky stuff to their courts system, like letting criminals out without bond and decriminalizing misdemeanors.

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
Bethesda is like a family member with ever worsening Alzheimer's. They get worse at game design with every passing release.
It's not like they have any real competition. Obsidian is releasing mediocre games with bland stories, and CDPRed is releasing buggy-ass games before they're ready. And God knows what Squeenix is up to.

Imperial Citizen

For the Empire!
kiwifarms.net
And what the fuck were they thinking giving you access to Power Armor so fucking fast? And no, only giving you a half depleted fusion core doesn't make up for that. Power Armor is supposed to be something you look forward to finally getting, not something you're handed in the first hour and then restricted from using until you have enough of an arbitrary resource to use. Am I really supposed to believe that an intact suit of power armor and a minigun were in an easily accessible location for 200 years and nobody fucking touched it? There's a line where suspension of disbelief can no longer be maintained in the face of retard logic.
There is one point that I can give Bethesda for Fallot 4's power armor; it actually feels like power armor. I enjoyed the crafting of different components, the visual display of the helmet, and the sounds of walking around in such heavy armor.

Something that could have changed power armor is that while you have access to it in the early game, you can't repair or modify it until the later half of the game, given to you by one of the four factions. That way, early game power armor becomes a limited resource and if you want to acquire a new set, you either have to find one or take it off someone, and in the latter's case, you risk destroying the whole armor unless you headshot the character.
It still feels like them picking on the right and only the right. Especially when right-wingers in the NCR are thrown in the same category as the Enclave's people, and the two even merge into one power bloc in one of the endings.
Then again, the politics of the NCR aren't explored as much as in New Vegas. What is right wing for the NCR? We know that two political issues for the NCR is expansion and land rights. Expansion is seen as a military issue and to increase tax revenue/additional resources. Land rights are an issue of brahim barons, which means that the NCR lacks strong private property rights, not to mention the squatters at Vault 15. But the Brahim Barons oppose expansion as it would increase their competition. So why would the right wing want to acquire Enclave refugees? Perhaps they saw them as something like the Brotherhood and wanted access to their technology?

According to New Vegas, that didn't happen as Enclave Remnants were prosecuted for their crimes and Brotherhood technology was acquired by the NCR after their war and the NCR continued expansion. Most likely, the right wing economic elements of the NCR won out as the Barons are still a massive power bloc in the NCR and land rights are still an issue that has caused people to move out eastward, away from the Barons' control.

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net
There is one point that I can give Bethesda for Fallot 4's power armor; it actually feels like power armor. I enjoyed the crafting of different components, the visual display of the helmet, and the sounds of walking around in such heavy armor.

Something that could have changed power armor is that while you have access to it in the early game, you can't repair or modify it until the later half of the game, given to you by one of the four factions. That way, early game power armor becomes a limited resource and if you want to acquire a new set, you either have to find one or take it off someone, and in the latter's case, you risk destroying the whole armor unless you headshot the character.

Then again, the politics of the NCR aren't explored as much as in New Vegas. What is right wing for the NCR? We know that two political issues for the NCR is expansion and land rights. Expansion is seen as a military issue and to increase tax revenue/additional resources. Land rights are an issue of brahim barons, which means that the NCR lacks strong private property rights, not to mention the squatters at Vault 15. But the Brahim Barons oppose expansion as it would increase their competition. So why would the right wing want to acquire Enclave refugees? Perhaps they saw them as something like the Brotherhood and wanted access to their technology?

According to New Vegas, that didn't happen as Enclave Remnants were prosecuted for their crimes and Brotherhood technology was acquired by the NCR after their war and the NCR continued expansion. Most likely, the right wing economic elements of the NCR won out as the Barons are still a massive power bloc in the NCR and land rights are still an issue that has caused people to move out eastward, away from the Barons' control.
Isn’t that a big reason the NCR is expanding? Resettle the wasteland, feed economic growth, rapid expansion to placate the people. After all, Freeside has a huge issue with NCR settlers, and most of the post-game endings talk about settlers in the NCR side.

Snekposter

Hiding from the Frontier fallout.
kiwifarms.net
If you talk to a couple NPC's, the NCR is definitely undergoing land consolidation under the Brahmin Barons, much to the detriment of various small farmers. Heck Gunderson has also shoved his competition out by force to become the single biggest herder. Seems like there's a tacit policy in place to consolidate land under the barons and encourage the displaced farmers to settle the Vegas area.

Mary the Goldsmith

kiwifarms.net
What monkey decided to make the key to switch between first person and third person the same key as accessing the settlement workshop?
let me tell you something "funny" I play with a controller (yeah I know), and after exiting the settlement workshop the game zooms a lot on your character if you're playing in 3rd person, but the button to zoom out is the same to change between 1st person and 3rd person and open the workshop, so if I try to zoom out I'll open the workshop and the game will zoom in again.
Also your avatar makes your comment a lot better

ExceptionallyExceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So what the shit is up with the Outcasts and Remnants mod? I installed it and my copy of Fallout 4 completely shat itself until I yeeted the shit it included in the scripts folder. Unfortunately it looks like the author is a soyfilled bitchass and locked his comment section, apparently had a habit of deleting bug reports and flagging them as "not a bug".

Edit: Apparently his mods are The Frontier level garbage anyway, so no big loss.

Last edited:

Mary the Goldsmith

kiwifarms.net
So what the shit is up with the Outcasts and Remnants mod? I installed it and my copy of Fallout 4 completely shat itself until I yeeted the shit it included in the scripts folder. Unfortunately it looks like the author is a soyfilled bitchass and locked his comment section, apparently had a habit of deleting bug reports and flagging them as "not a bug".

Edit: Apparently his mods are The Frontier level garbage anyway, so no big loss.
I heard about this guy's mods, his project Valkyrie mod is supposedly good, it has a lot of endorsements and shit, but the fact that the only review on youtube simply said "this mod is amazing but I can's say more without spoiling" sent a red flag, then I checked the nexus age directly and the author locking all the comments, getting passive-aggressive with everyone reminded me of Apollodown.
I'm starting to think that any mod that is advertised as "DLC-size" or something among those lines is just a massive pile of garbage