Disaster Famous Internet Cat Tardar Sauce, more commonly known as Grumpy Cat, has passed away. -

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
With cats, it's most often a lack of moisture in their food that leads to UTI/kidney problems.

Easily preventable by adding 1oz warm water to each 1/2cup dry kibble, or 1tbsp canned wet food to each 1/2cup dry food.
Huh, poor thing. That sounds so easy to prevent, if only more owners would look this kinda thing up or something.
I have strangely never heard of this despite having decades of cats, and I was just thinking the other day at a grocery store while looking at the gravy-branded dry kibble, "I remember a dog food brand where you add warm water to the dry food and it made a thick gravy, why doesn't cat food do that too? It would probably be successful."

Smiling Honeybadger

Still on the search for some super smart Title.
kiwifarms.net
Man, seven years is fucking young for a cat. They can live to twenty plus years.

An acquaintance of mine once went to a Grumpy Cat & Lil Bub Meet and Greet. Despite all the people and the unfamiliar place, both cats were fast asleep. I think even my acquaintance who is a fan of Grumpy Cat, joked that they may have been sedated...

I was never a fan of the hysteria people fall into over broken looking pets. And the resulting exploitation. Gosh, these animals already did draw the shorter straw in the genetic roulette, let them be as much animal as they are able to be.

Makes me wonder when Lil Bub keels over. He or she has some severe health issues.

But worry not, Internet. Somewhere is the owner of a genetic fuck up waiting to drag it into the spot light.

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
I am not surprised at this, urinary tract infections in cats are usually caused by some kind of stress and I can only imagine the amount of stress this poor cat has been through these last few years.
Stress doesn't cause UTIs, but holding their pee because of stress definitely contributes; usually due to crowding, litterbox problems (not enough, dirty, etc), or heavy activity (remodeling, furniture moving, etc).... along with not eating.

Which some cats will do, even to the point where their kidneys fail and bladders rupture.

I have strangely never heard of this despite having decades of cats, and I was just thinking the other day at a grocery store while looking at the gravy-branded dry kibble, "I remember a dog food brand where you add warm water to the dry food and it made a thick gravy, why doesn't cat food do that too? It would probably be successful."
I'd never thought much about it either, over a similar timeframe & dozens of house, farm, and feral cats.

Until we had one cat who suffered from multiple unexplained UTIs and a kidney failure, and took him to a different, younger vet.

The man was incensed about the diet recommendations our previous vet had given him; it turned out he has a personal crusade against shitty cat food, and vets/animal hospitals who don't know shit about cats.

He sat us down, with a calculator, and showed us how much moisture a cat is *supposed* to take in thru food, vs how little is in even the most expensive specialty dry kibble, or even wet food (with protein emolients that actually retain little water), and how much plain dry food they'd need to meet their needs.

It's a lot.

Which also contributes to cat obesity; they may have enough water in their dish, but they'll keep eating if the food isn't moist enough, as a sort of secondary thirst reflex.

I was fully expecting him to push some new science diet shit on us, which he didn't, and have since come across several new local vets, also younger, that have either mentioned it themselves or confirmed when I ran it by them.

Last edited:

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Time for people to call for Grumpy Cat's posthumous cancellation.

Whoa, I was kidding.

View attachment 762409

:extreme soycreature voice: "or go full milkshake duck"

Do they grow these creatures in vats? Apparently.

I literally came here to post this because I saw it on my timeline as well, people will make an issue out of anything. Tardar sauce sounds like exactly the kind of name a child would give a cat.

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
Man, seven years is fucking young for a cat. They can live to twenty plus years.

An acquaintance of mine once went to a Grumpy Cat & Lil Bub Meet and Greet. Despite all the people and the unfamiliar place, both cats were fast asleep. I think even my acquaintance who is a fan of Grumpy Cat, joked that they may have been sedated...

I was never a fan of the hysteria people fall into over broken looking pets. And the resulting exploitation. Gosh, these animals already did draw the shorter straw in the genetic roulette, let them be as much animal as they are able to be.

Makes me wonder when Lil Bub keels over. He or she has some severe health issues.

But worry not, Internet. Somewhere is the owner of a genetic fuck up waiting to drag it into the spot light.
I worry that idiots are going to start deliberately breeding genetically ruined cats, at least on the down low. There was already that guy a few years ago who "found" an """abandoned""" fucked up cat and made a social media career out of its tragic story, only for it to come out that he had stolen it from a veterinarian who had since died.

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I worry that idiots are going to start deliberately breeding genetically ruined cats, at least on the down low. There was already that guy a few years ago who "found" an """abandoned""" fucked up cat and made a social media career out of its tragic story, only for it to come out that he had stolen it from a veterinarian who had since died.
Which one? I need the details. Not Lil Bub, I hope?

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
Wait so the UTI could have been prevented by just mixing in wet food and/or real meat in with the kibble?
Not just wet food, or even real meat; cats on a whole meat diet need it to be exclusively that, and a lot of it as well.

I forgot to clarify, a little warm/hot water should be added to dry kibble *and* wet food, even if the two are combined. And especially if the cat is on a high-protein/elderly diet, to avoid kidney inflammation & such.

• Informative
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Stress doesn't cause UTIs, but holding their pee because of stress definitely contributes; usually due to crowding, litterbox problems (not enough, dirty, etc), or heavy activity (remodeling, furniture moving, etc).... along with not eating.

Which some cats will do, even to the point where their kidneys fail and bladders rupture.

I'd never thought much about it either, over a similar timeframe & dozens of house, farm, and feral cats.

Until we had one cat who suffered from multiple unexplained UTIs and a kidney failure, and took him to a different, younger vet.

The man was incensed about the diet recommendations our previous vet had given him; it turned out he has a personal crusade against shitty cat food, and vets/animal hospitals who don't know shit about cats.

He sat us down, with a calculator, and showed us how much moisture a cat is *supposed* to take in thru food, vs how little is in even the most expensive specialty dry kibble, or even wet food (with protein emolients that actually retain little water), and how much plain dry food they'd need to meet their needs.

It's a lot.

Which also contributes to cat obesity; they may have enough water in their dish, but they'll keep eating if the food isn't moist enough, as a sort of secondary thirst reflex.

I was fully expecting him to push some new science diet shit on us, which he didn't, and have since come across several new local vets, also younger, that have either mentioned it themselves or confirmed when I ran it by them.
My vet, who was the only vet to finally manage my poor kitty's awful lifetime allergies, was also the first one to really mention this. Apparently many cats just won't drink enough water. We now give the cat wet food and also mix in water with that food.

Looking it up quickly, I see a lot of advice online to trick your cat into drinking more water from a bowl.. but I believe they should be getting most of it from their food and not from drinking from a water bowl separately.

This is a good discussion, most pets are eating the same things every day, if it's not optimal of course they are going to have health issues. I bet most people don't think about it because everyone just gives their pets kibble, wet food is the luxury option.

RavenCrow

It's only gay if the balls touch.
kiwifarms.net
Poor girl :(. Do UTI's often kill cats? I've never heard of such a thing.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino