Fanfiction tropes you hate -

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dislike how fanfiction seems to suck in potential creatives and divert their work away from original stuff. It’s supposed to be that you train your writing with fanfic, but they seem to just wallow in it forever instead.
Autism: An even bigger opioid crisis than opioids.

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net
To me it's actually something I despise in canons too, when everyone needs be paired up. I'm not the biggest fan of romance in general but I completely understand that if there has been important love subplot or two, those need to be solved. Totally fine with that even if I never cared for the couple but when everyone needs find someone to love I hate it. This usually means forsed couples with no real chemistry or pulling new often boring love intrests from out nowhere. Double my hate if it's done with flash forward to future that has little to no value beyond fan service.

This troupe tends get super bad in slash fanfiction, where everyone not only needs be paired up but also gay. I don't care what the characters sexuality is in canon (seeing something that can't happen in canon is one of the best parts of fanfiction), but everyone being in homosexual relationships just goes beyond my willing suspension of disbelief.

• Agree
Reactions: Koby_Fish

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
To me it's actually something I despise in canons too, when everyone needs be paired up. I'm not the biggest fan of romance in general but I completely understand that if there has been important love subplot or two, those need to be solved. Totally fine with that even if I never cared for the couple but when everyone needs find someone to love I hate it. This usually means forsed couples with no real chemistry or pulling new often boring love intrests from out nowhere. Double my hate if it's done with flash forward to future that has little to no value beyond fan service.

This troupe tends get super bad in slash fanfiction, where everyone not only needs be paired up but also gay. I don't care what the characters sexuality is in canon (seeing something that can't happen in canon is one of the best parts of fanfiction), but everyone being in homosexual relationships just goes beyond my willing suspension of disbelief.
Sometimes read a T or G rated slash fic just to see how it fares when interpreted as a friendship fic. You'd be surprised how many end up faring well. Think some of them just have a pairing shoehorned in for clicks.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Koby_Fish

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
Holy fucking christ, I used to be in the reader insert circles and by god, I will tell you, I fucking hated when the author would have the reader as the 'Mary Sue who could do no wrong uwu all the boys wuv her uwu' type. That and having characters in canon pairings be paired with some rando oc of theirs, worst offenders I've seen being in the Harry Potter fandom when it comes to James Potter. Another thing that annoys me are those ones where a character is given powers they didn't have in the source with no explanation whatsoever. Especially in the cringy Creepypasta and Marble Hornets fandoms.

Also, feel free to throw autistic ratings at me, and this is off-topic, but I do sometimes like reading reader inserts. They're a bit of a guilty pleasure. They're usually pretty bad, sure, but I find them kind of fun to read.

Chan Fan

You're the man now, dog!
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to say mpreg because a lot of them are so poorly written but I read one once that made me cry, very intense, so there's room for exception for that trope. And I'll excuse one other that I read years ago because it was so bad it was hilarious and I look back on it fondly for that reason :p

Anytime a character is a boring Mary Sue (like Bella from Twilight) or is such an empty slate that you get no sense of anything about them and the love interest is somehow attracted to that with no clear reason. I also really dislike when gay men are written like teenage girls, very unrealistic. I don't like when they do AU's from a series where the characters wouldn't know each other but somehow get paired up. Crack!fic in general.

Bonus - a thing about the fanfiction writers community in general that I hate is fellow authors who refuse to read any fics with straight characters. I can't tell you how many times I've had that happen to me, can't find someone to beta my work because it contains M/F sex.

Uncanny Valley

ONE MORE GOD REJECTED
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to say mpreg because a lot of them are so poorly written but I read one once that made me cry, very intense, so there's room for exception for that trope. And I'll excuse one other that I read years ago because it was so bad it was hilarious and I look back on it fondly for that reason :p

Anytime a character is a boring Mary Sue (like Bella from Twilight) or is such an empty slate that you get no sense of anything about them and the love interest is somehow attracted to that with no clear reason. I also really dislike when gay men are written like teenage girls, very unrealistic. I don't like when they do AU's from a series where the characters wouldn't know each other but somehow get paired up. Crack!fic in general.

Bonus - a thing about the fanfiction writers community in general that I hate is fellow authors who refuse to read any fics with straight characters. I can't tell you how many times I've had that happen to me, can't find someone to beta my work because it contains M/F sex.
Good thing mpreg is kind of a dying thing iirc

Daisy

I have a complicated relationship with Mondays
kiwifarms.net
Good thing mpreg is kind of a dying thing iirc
Nooot really. A/B/O is still really popular and mpreg is still a hot trend, only now "woke" fans will make one half of their m/m ship AFAB-trans so they can pop out babies but still identify as a dude. And pretend that a trans male getting pregnant doesn't run the risk of triggering dysphoria.

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
Another thing I wanna pop in here with:
Yandere harems
Like that'll go well at all for anyone involved. Also yandere x yandere where all they do is kill and/or insult people. That just gets on my nerves because they're usually poorly written.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Good Lord, that's actually insane. "Het is Ew" taken to the extreme.

Another thing I wanna pop in here with:
Yandere harems
I think this can work as a self-aware/parody fic, but good luck finding a fanfic writer who can pull it off.

Gentle George

Competitive nut-sucker
kiwifarms.net
Butthurt fanfics attempting to "fix" the show because autists got angry the show went in a direction they didn't like. Although sometimes these are hilarious if they're staggeringly bad.
Allow me to introduce

Daisy

I have a complicated relationship with Mondays
kiwifarms.net
Butthurt fanfics attempting to "fix" the show because autists got angry the show went in a direction they didn't like. Although sometimes these are hilarious if they're staggeringly bad.
Once upon a time, "fix fics" were mostly used to bring your favorite character back from the dead. These days, canon's automatically broken if the fan's OTP doesn't make out or the girl shows an inch more of bare leg than the fan approves of.

Salt Water Taffy

Only bad witches are ugly.
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but it's really really weird when fanfic writers insist on mentioning everybody's blood type, especially when the franchise they're writing for isn't from Japan. For those of you who don't know, in Japan blood types are basically like star signs - O is confident and passionate, A is shy and introverted, B is independent and bold, and AB is perfectionist and aloof. Thing is that this is not commonplace knowledge in Western cultures, and in Western cultures mentioning your blood type or asking someone else's is generally thought of as TMI and really weird. Unless you're working with an anime/manga/whatever that already has every character's blood type listed everywhere, for the love of GodBear don't mention it it's so weird.

Speaking of star signs, the Sue-iest of OCs only ever get the cool star signs (unless they're self-inserts - as a general rule of thumb, if a writer and their favorite OC have the same birthday, run). Leo is cool, Scorpio is cool (and edgy), Aquarius is cool, Gemini is basically de rigeur for twins, Aries is kinda cool, and Pisces has the reputation of being the artsy one so that shows up sometimes. But Taurus and Capricorn are boring animals, Cancer and Virgo are off the table for obvious reasons, Libra is boring, and most fanfic writers can't spell Sagittarius.

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net
I think mpreg is how you use it thing. If I'm right mood or it's a really well written fic, I can ingnore the male part to consecrate pregnancy part. Pregnancy is a great sourse of drama and can lead to dynamic behavior so I can go with mpreg just fine to allow that happen to my gay OTP. I have read an amazing mpreg fic that dealt with depression and self loathing that got brought to surface by accidental pregnancy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it again as the author deleted after loosing interest in competing it.

Still I prefer when the male part is actually meaningful and in right fandoms, mainly ones with strong magic elements, mpreg makes enough sense. Most of course are just garbage but I have read few that do intresting thing with it. Harry Potter fandom had some fun ones that really got into magical mechanics, some even having characters comparing pros and cons of different methods.

XiphoidT7

kiwifarms.net

where do you post your works?

Autistador

"My blade? She's called dickdestroyer9000"
kiwifarms.net
School AUs and Coffee shop AUs are the worst. Both have probably been said before but all of them have the same story.
Coffee shop AUs: Character (reader if it's an xreader fic) meets other character and they fall in love.
School AUs: Characters or character and reader fall in love, ebil bully (who is usually girl who disapproves of the character's gay love or a character jelous of reader) comes in and insults characters and then they're saved by a convenient cool teacher or the guy/top in the relationship stands up to bully.

I've stopped reading these AUs almost completely. I just want something new done with these tropes :(

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
>Finds a nice erotic fan fiction
>All the characters are surprisingly well written and believable
>Finally the sex seen has a arrived
>Uses member instead of penis or cock
View attachment 1233074
I know this has been said before but god why can't they just use dick or cock instead?
Personally, I'm not a fan of using "dick" or "cock" (same for "pussy" and "cunt") in a narrative sense. In dialogue, language is much, much more lax, so if a character says it, then whatever. But in narration, it sounds way too weird, and it takes me out of the moment. "Member" is overused, yeah, but it's become so ingrained in the culture of literature that I just don't care if I come across it or if I use it in my own writing since I try to go with what flows best. I like to refer to this guideline on "acceptable phallic synonyms" only to then completely ignore tier one on a personal level:
Screen shot 2020-04-15 at 3.14.10 PM.png

Erotica is hard lol.

EDIT: It just hit me, where would "erection" even be considered on the sexy tier list? Been seeing that pop up a lot more, actually.
Puns intended.

Last edited:

Chan Fan

You're the man now, dog!
kiwifarms.net
>Finds a nice erotic fan fiction
>All the characters are surprisingly well written and believable
>Finally the sex seen has a arrived
>Uses member instead of penis or cock
View attachment 1233074
I know this has been said before but god why can't they just use dick or cock instead?
I read a story years ago that used the word "sex" for both the guy and girl, over and over, the entire story. So for example it was like "she saw his rigid sex and felt her sex becoming wet" and really other than that it was a pretty good story, just like your green text scenario. It really is strange when that happens.

Tags
None