Fanfiction tropes you hate -

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I almost forgot about this. Feeling old, yet?
bluenette.png

Koby_Fish

The advice of the GALACTICALLY STUPID
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love fanfiction, good or bad, it's interesting to see how someone else would imagine things happening and is inspiring when it works and hilarious when it doesn't. What I do not like is reading the same string of tropes in a hundred different stories and every fandom has dominant trope strings that can be painful to sift through due to it just being popular or bad summaries.

Tropes I generally hate because I have never seen them done well and/or the premise makes me cringe:
Mpreg (not my fetish)
Modern girl in- (dumb wish fulfillment)
AU (I'm reading fanfics because I like the cannon universe and characters in it. Show me what you can do within those limits or go write original work)
Trans!MainCharacter, etc (again, not my fetish)
Fanfics in RPG fandoms that retell the game plot + Mary Sue (waste of time as these tend to be 100k+ words of just the basic cannon plot/dialogue)
Adult Characters are now in Highschool (you wish you could relive highschool don't you?)
Crossovers (I've only read one good fic with this trope and it only worked because both fandoms have possible dimensional travel magic in cannon and the characters crossing over were written true to cannon)
X Reader using 2nd person POV (Just admit you're making an OC write it in 1st or 3rd person please, this isn't clever)
Mary Sue/OC's love can redeem Misunderstood Villain (I love Death and the Maiden, but this is usually ultra pure innocent uwu gumdrop changes broody hot guy because she'll cry if he does a bad)
I mean, AU's can work, depending on what your definition of AU is. If it's like "Mirror, Mirror" (the mirror universe in Star Trek, Star Trek DS9, or Star Trek: Enterprise)/Mirrorverse Transformers/etc, or Alternate Timeline (like the Star Trek TNG episode "Parallels" or "Yesterday's Enterprise") then it's probably fine in theory. If it's "Barbarian AU/High School AU"/"Dragon AU"/something along those lines, then yeah, no.

Syaoran Li

Gay Old-School Rocker and Weeb Mountain Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, AU's can work, depending on what your definition of AU is. If it's like "Mirror, Mirror" (the mirror universe in Star Trek, Star Trek DS9, or Star Trek: Enterprise)/Mirrorverse Transformers/etc, or Alternate Timeline (like the Star Trek TNG episode "Parallels" or "Yesterday's Enterprise") then it's probably fine in theory. If it's "Barbarian AU/High School AU"/"Dragon AU"/something along those lines, then yeah, no.

Disagree

I think AU's can work, even the really "out there" AU's if you're keeping the characters faithful to their canon personalities or if you're trying to do a retelling of the canon story in the context of a different setting sort of like the Leonardo DiCaprio Romeo & Juliet movie where they're LA gangbangers.

Or as better examples, like how O Brother Where Art Thou is just "The Odyssey in the Depression-era South" and 10 Things I Hate About You is a "High School AU" of The Taming of The Shrew

There are certain specific types of AU that are a lot more difficult to make work and have been more or less tainted like the High School AU or the "Coffee Shop AU". I don't even know how that last one even became a thing.

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net
Disagree

I think AU's can work, even the really "out there" AU's if you're keeping the characters faithful to their canon personalities or if you're trying to do a retelling of the canon story in the context of a different setting sort of like the Leonardo DiCaprio Romeo & Juliet movie where they're LA gangbangers.

Or as better examples, like how O Brother Where Art Thou is just "The Odyssey in the Depression-era South" and 10 Things I Hate About You is a "High School AU" of The Taming of The Shrew

There are certain specific types of AU that are a lot more difficult to make work and have been more or less tainted like the High School AU or the "Coffee Shop AU". I don't even know how that last one even became a thing.
I think coffee shop AU became a thing for similar reasons why high school AU is a thing. Teenagers have only so many commonly shared experiences. You can tons of very different hobbies and religion and family isn't cool and again can be very different but after school and summer jobs are super common. Even if you personally haven't had one, you likely have many friends who had and you personally have been a client so can still relate to experience easily. While there are plenty of jobs many aren't allowed take in kids so most teenage jobs tend to be in retail or food service. From those jobs coffee shop is the most romantic as far written goes. Coffee shops are often cozy or otherwise decorated for comfort and have nice looking food and drinks that are fun to describe. Those places are more hanging around type of locations than restaurants or retail shops so allow more easily long characters interactions that don't feel too out of place. Plus nice coffee shops and cafes are pretty standard in tv show about successful professionals and traveling addvetaising so it has has that going for it too. So coffee shops are familiar to an average teen writer but more adult and fancy than school.

Koby_Fish

The advice of the GALACTICALLY STUPID
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Disagree

I guess the larger problem is the authors who clearly lack the talent to make the harder ones work.

CrystalRoserade

Ratvioli
kiwifarms.net
Piggy-backing off the last post, I hate it when people write out accents. I can not and will not put effort into understanding your character if they "T'lk l'ke d's."

You could just, I don't know, maybe do something along the lines of, "I talk like this." the man slurred out, accent heavy," so that readers can actually comprehend your writing?

If anyone used to be in the Hetalia fandom, god forbid, you know exactly which character I'm complaining about.
I could never understand whatever the fuck the authors were trying to have Sweden say in those fanfics... pretty sure his dialogue was actually coherent in the anime and manga, too, if memory serves. At least with the others, I could tell what they were saying, badly written accents and all.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I could never understand whatever the fuck the authors were trying to have Sweden say in those fanfics... pretty sure his dialogue was actually coherent in the anime and manga, too, if memory serves. At least with the others, I could tell what they were saying, badly written accents and all.

I haven't read Hetalia fics, but out of some sick curiosity, did they write Sweden's dialogue like this?

'Ello! Ai'm ze Schweed, 'oo 'ent ahp za 'ill, und kem do'n wi'all ze schtawbe'ies. Leev'n, a'course, ze in'abit'nts av za 'ill wi'no schtawbe'ies, und zefo'e besto'ing ze tem "zelfisch" ahpun mehzelf.

CrystalRoserade

Ratvioli
kiwifarms.net
I haven't read Hetalia fics, but out of some sick curiosity, did they write Sweden's dialogue like this?

'Ello! Ai'm ze Schweed, 'oo 'ent ahp za 'ill, und kem do'n wi'all ze schtawbe'ies. Leev'n, a'course, ze in'abit'nts av za 'ill wi'no schtawbe'ies, und zefo'e besto'ing ze tem "zelfisch" ahpun mehzelf.
I can try and hunt down a sample, if wanted. I do distinctly remember them omitting vowels a lot, though.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Koby_Fish

cockle

kiwifarms.net

What the fuck

Why is this so familar, I never even read fics with Sweden in it

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I do distinctly remember them omitting vowels a lot, though.
Ah, shit, that makes it worse, actually. An accent of just consonants is practically gibberish at that point.

What the fuck

Why is this so familar, I never even read fics with Sweden in it
It's from this lel.

CrystalRoserade

Ratvioli
kiwifarms.net
1606022378157.png
I'll admit this is actually among the easier to understand, but it does show how writers in the fandom portrayed his accent. Also, I'll admit I got this from a reader insert. Might look for more egregious examples, though.

• DRINK!

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll admit this is actually among the easier to understand, but it does show how writers in the fandom portrayed his accent. Also, I'll admit I got this from a reader insert. Might look for more egregious examples, though.
I ended up checking out a quick video of Sweden's dubbed clips, so now I must ask how in the bloody hell did fanfic writers manage to transcribe an articulated albeit monotone accent into illegible garbles?

Snufkin kin

Let’s go fill the internet with crime, come on!
kiwifarms.net
“Suck on my fingers *uses the saliva as lube*”

“pain turned to pleasure”

“his entrance/hole/cavern/opening”

“his hot, throbbing member/length/shaft/FLESH ROD (I’M NOT KIDDING)/erection”

magical ability to both cum at the same time

the “seme” must smirk and or chuckle a minimum of 500 times

uke must also blush about anything and everything that could be construed as flirting

no condom bc sticking your bare dick in an unprepared poopshoot is sexy

“SCREAMING with pleasure/ecstasy”

fin

Dysnomia

Active Shooter
kiwifarms.net

Could you do a high school setting that works? I think the 90210 style school is done to death as are the hardcore cringe dramas that take everyone way out of character. Ones that randomly age characters up or down so your waifu or husbando can be the sexy teacher or quirky student are awful as well.

Maybe if the property already has a scene that's a flashback of some sort and you built the fic around that flashback? Like if you fleshed it out wthout going overboard.

Has anyone mastered this without totally cringing up the place?

Kike Konger

Bike, Bike, Bike!
kiwifarms.net
Screenshot 2020-11-22 133804.pngScreenshot 2020-11-22 133823.pngScreenshot 2020-11-22 133856.pngScreenshot 2020-11-22 133907.png
It's Nekotalia Sweden FYI. But holy shit, while I can comprehend it, it's so fugly to look at.

CrippleThreat

At least my third leg is still working.
kiwifarms.net

“pain turned to pleasure”

“his entrance/hole/cavern/opening”

“his hot, throbbing member/length/shaft/FLESH ROD (I’M NOT KIDDING)/erection”

magical ability to both cum at the same time

the “seme” must smirk and or chuckle a minimum of 500 times

uke must also blush about anything and everything that could be construed as flirting

no condom bc sticking your bare dick in an unprepared poopshoot is sexy

“SCREAMING with pleasure/ecstasy”

fin

"Lemon."

Does anyone know why sexually-explict fanfictions employ "The Citrus Scale?" Or better yet, why is it called "The Citrus Scale?"

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even though you're describing all the common steps (can't really call it foreplay) in yaoi fics, I got confused for a second because I've seen that used in hetero fics, too (rarely for anal), and was going "That's not really a bad thing, though?" lol. Maybe it gets a pass if the characters are stated to be teens/virgins/experimenting on the fly, but I've noticed not a lot of fics actually explore inexperience and awkward sex.

It's Nekotalia Sweden FYI. But holy shit, while I can comprehend it, it's so fugly to look at.
Ugh, God, it's so clunky.

"Lemon."

Does anyone know why sexually-explict fanfictions employ "The Citrus Scale?" Or better yet, why is it called "The Citrus Scale?"
Sadly, the origin for why it was used appears to have been lost, but the closest anyone has found is that it's named after the hentai series Cream Lemon, and there was once a mailing list of erotic anime fics called "The Lemon List" that was passed around in the early days (I can't seem to find anything about it, though, but it looks to be similar to how people post recommendation lists for smutfics). It's unknown why the "Citrus Scale" was named as such, I assume it's because the labels used for those fics were all citrus fruit as a way to describe one's senses when reading particular stories.

But the scale as a whole appears to sadly be dying out now that everyone isn't afraid to admit they're writing smut. I imagine the terms were used to "get around" mods or Google or something like on FFN, especially when the "MA" rating got banned off the site in 2002.

Syaoran Li

Gay Old-School Rocker and Weeb Mountain Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"Lemon."

Basically, what @Kari Kamiya said

The name comes from Cream Lemon with the name "lemon" being a way to get around censorship and the rules at FFN back when they enforced them and then the rest of the Citrus Scale came about to further detail what all you'd be in for. The more sour the fruit, the more messed up it was going to be with Orange being romantic but clean (basically PG or PG-13) and Lime being either softcore/ecchi or at most, nudity and masturbation, Lemon was regular smut and then Grapefruit was really messed fetish stuff.

The terms "Lemon" and "Lime" are still occasionally used in older fandoms, particularly on FFN where the fandoms skew older in general.

Speaking of which, there's a new subgroup on there called "Critics United" who've been acting like the most stereotypical hall monitors out there and mass flagging any fics that break the rules to the mods. Part of me thinks it's a group of dedicated turbo-autists since they're not just going after smut but also things like song fics or "Film Fics" (retelling a movie with characters from a different fandom) but chances are they're part of some dedicated troll gay op and started attracting turbo-autists.

The mods/admins at FFN are usually inactive and only do shit when people pester them enough on Twitter or FictionPress, and Critics United seems like they're trying to act in their stead and now the spergs are making counter-petitions to get FFN to revise the rules.

If this round of autistic drama doesn't kill off FFN for good, then I don't know what will.

• Informative
Reactions: A Fucking Leafeon

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of which, there's a new subgroup on there called "Critics United" who've been acting like the most stereotypical hall monitors out there and mass flagging any fics that break the rules to the mods. Part of me thinks it's a group of dedicated turbo-autists since they're not just going after smut but also things like song fics or "Film Fics" (retelling a movie with characters from a different fandom) but chances are they're part of some dedicated troll gay op and started attracting turbo-autists.

The mods/admins at FFN are usually inactive and only do shit when people pester them enough on Twitter or FictionPress, and Critics United seems like they're trying to act in their stead and now the spergs are making counter-petitions to get FFN to revise the rules.

If this round of autistic drama doesn't kill off FFN for good, then I don't know what will.
Critics United have been around for several years at this point, I remember them popping up right around the 2012 purge but I think they've been around longer. Nothing's going to happen to FFN just because of that kind of in-fighting. Critics United are a bunch of speds in the same aisle as Farla and her minions even if they're unaware of it.

Reactions: fhqwhgads
Tags
None