Fanmade Pokémon Designs (Fakemon) - Tracers, garbage designers, and of course, furries

Lapis Lazuli

Homosexual Extraterrestrial Mineral Woman
kiwifarms.net
Some interest was shown in creating a thread for Fakemon, so I decided to make one.

For those who are asking "What the fuck's a Fakemon?", let me explain:
To start off, a "Fakemon" is a fan-made Pokémon design. Sometimes they're done for fangames and other Pokemon fanworks.
The most common places you'll find said designs in are Instagram and DeviantArt, though other websites like Wikia and Twitter are common places for Fakemon to be found as well. However, the former is filled to the brim with tracing, and the latter isn't much better, either.

Instagram
Instagram contains many Fakemon artists, who pride themselves on tracing official artwork. These "artists" not only trace, however, but make money off of tracing said artwork. The most notorious are Devildman and Startboii, who have a long history of tracing artwork and getting away with it.
(archive)
Drawing (7).png
(Design on bottom left is original that I couldn't find the source to, top left is Devildman's)
In addition to traced artwork that is being profited off of, most artists there are generally awful and don't grasp what makes Pokemon so appealing in the first place, so as a result a lot of these Instagram artists tend to be amateurs who create overly simplistic/complex designs to the point they don't resemble Pokemon anymore, or simply artists who know how to draw but not how to design.
Screenshot (412).png
(archive)
Screenshot (413).png
(archive) traced from this
427px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Sabrina.png

DeviantArt/Other
DeviantArt generally has better-looking fakes over there, though that doesn't exactly mean it's much better. The most infamous artist is DarkandWindie (archive). So far, he has a wooping 1,800 Fakemon done. You must be thinking he might be a man dedicated to his work, someone who has designed monsters for 10 years? Well, not really. He is a "quantity over quality" type of guy, and the majority of his designs are really lackluster, suffering from "Same Face Syndrome", where the majority of them share similar looking eyes or faces, sometimes even body types, and don't change much besides "getting bigger" upon evolution.
xenioh_eyes_by_reallydarkandwindie_d81vz20-fullview.png
As you can see here, alot of the Pokémon here share almost identical eye shapes. If you had to name them by order, I won't blame you if you mismatched some of their names due to the fact that almost all of them don't stand out from each other.
In addition to that, sometimes he rips off existing Pokémon designs.
Penneswel.png
Shrievil.png
Stomphan.png
Liffin (1).png
Pretty sure you get the gist by now.
This guy has a history of sperging at anyone who gives him criticism or calls him a furfag, too.
Oh, and by the way, did you know he's a furry?
Cause he's a furry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunny Tracks

Tidings of Comfort and Joy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This just reminds me of the Pokemon fan game that came out a while ago with some half decent looking rips. I think it was called Pokemon Nuclear? Pokemon Uranium? Something like that.
It's called Pokemon Uranium, and while some of the 'mons look really cool, some of them are suspiciously similar to Fakemons from other games-at least design-wise. For example, compare Pokemon Uranium's Baaschaf with Pokemon Sage's Dreamdery, which came first.
1589563602662.png

Last edited:

Bunny Tracks

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Pokemon Uranium, can I talk about how lackluster the starters are? They evolve only once, and all 3 of them don't look all that great, especially the water starter. I know it's a "Hippocampus" as they call it, but it's still ugly.
View attachment 1295852
Their second evos and megas do look better, except for Eletux, which just ends up looking worse imo.
1589565245641.png

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
I'll be honest alot of fakemons just show how the artists behind them don't understand the concept of good character designs - resembling a poorly cobbled incarnation of a preexisting pokemon or just something that looks too shitty to ever be an actual pokemon,
but there are for sure some pretty interesting fakemon that I feel are almost better than some of the official pokemon. Maybe they'd be seen as more appealing to me if the association of Pokemon was not there at all, not sure.

Lapis Lazuli

kiwifarms.net
Their second evos and megas do look better, except for Eletux, which just ends up looking worse imo.
View attachment 1295895
The first one should have been a 3rd evolution instead. Even though I still dislike the unnecessary robotic parts.
The second one is admittedly the most Pokemon-like of the 3 starters but at the same time it doesn't resemble a starter, rather something you'd encounter mid-game.
The third one... Yeah it just gets even uglier. The mega evolution just adds random parts that do not belong and it just clashes with everything.

Bunny Tracks

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first one should have been a 3rd evolution instead. Even though I still dislike the unnecessary robotic parts.
The second one is admittedly the most Pokemon-like of the 3 starters but at the same time it doesn't resemble a starter, rather something you'd encounter mid-game.
The third one... Yeah it just gets even uglier. The mega evolution just adds random parts that do not belong and it just clashes with everything.
The most accurate description I've heard is that they all just look like Neopets. Now compare them with Pokemon Sage's starters, which look much more like Pokemon.
1589566161268.png

Lapis Lazuli

kiwifarms.net
The most accurate description I've heard is that they all just look like Neopets. Now compare them with Pokemon Sage's starters, which look much more like Pokemon.
View attachment 1295915
Ok, I actually like those. Too bad Sage's probably never going to get finished.
Now I'm suddenly reminded of that guy on DeviantArt who has a collection of Fakemon designs that range from decent to overdesigned, or simply not Pokemon.
fakemon__142___143___legendary_knights_duo_by_drcrafty_d4u0obb-pre.png

Princess Peaches

✨✨✨✨
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Pokemon Uranium, can I talk about how lackluster the starters are? They evolve only once, and all 3 of them don't look all that great, especially the water starter. I know it's a "Hippocampus" as they call it, but it's still ugly.
View attachment 1295852

These look like bad Pokémon bootlegs from China. Why was anyone excited for this fan game to come out?

Bunny Tracks

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
These look like bad Pokémon bootlegs from China. Why was anyone excited for this fan game to come out?
I think it's because it's the only 100% "original" Fakemon game that's actually complete. Not to mention some of the 'mons do have good designs and concepts behind them. Not a lot of them, mind you, but some of them.

1589567065450.png

1589567143176.png
1589567158281.png

1589567185368.png

1589567327563.png

1589567353772.png

1589567388953.png
1589567399579.png

1589567106845.png

Also, can I just say fuck the Pokemon Uranium wiki for using shitty art for each Pokemon's main picture? It's why I'm using the in-game sprites instead of the official art.

Last edited:

Coelacanth

Your local living [[BIG SHOT!!!!!]]
kiwifarms.net
Found a guy who literally copy and pastes his fakemon "designs" over and over again.

1589566932142.png

1589566960702.png

1589566981100.png

1589567008962.png

1589567026613.png

As well as some artists who didn't even try with their designs:

1589567085710.png

1589567204620.png

1589567245611.png

But amongst the garbage I did find some pics someone did of regional Meowth variants and they look pretty good, so have them as examples of decent designs I guess.

1589567332112.png

1589567364956.png

Shaka Brah

Patriotic Ass-Blasting Poster
kiwifarms.net
This might have some overlap with Purple Kecleon's lolcow thread. I remember she used to do alt-color pokemon drawings.