Off-Topic Fashion Youtube Channels (and other fashion content) - No makeup allowed (well, some, if you like)

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
What are some of your go-to fashion Youtube channels? A lot of fashion videos I run across are done as a side-thing by makeup people, true crime Wikipedia-readers, fatties, etc, but fewer channels focus only on clothing or hair. My own recommendations at the moment are mostly vintage -

I'm always happy to see a new video by Karolina Żebrowska, who does historical European fashion videos, but is also an accomplished shitposter:

Loepsie is another vintage (although more practical and less historical) channel:

To round off the historical fashion autism, a channel that focuses more on making clothes:

HauteLeMode does breakdowns of catwalk and premiere garb:

Justine Leconte is similar, but more professional:

There are a lot of aspirational-type channels, but it's hard to find people with good personalities, or with passions that extend beyond becoming a generic influencer (bonus points for a profile that describes themselves as a "shopaholic", as though you can post-ironically claim to be this without being a vacuous person). Sifting through zillions of vlog channels who think having a contoured brow is as far as a personality needs to extend is dispiriting. I like channels like Queenie Black mostly for personality, but they really don't do much fashion content.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
kiwifarms.net
I've watched a few of Karolina Żebrowska videos, but she came across as obnoxiously snobby, maybe it was just the videos I watched.
She has a "I am sick of this shit" attitude that obsessives tend to get, I think you have to watch with the understanding that she's setting up points a lot of the time in opposition to misconceptions, and that is where most of the 'entertainment' value comes from. If she didn't sperg as much, the subject matter would probably be dry and boring. I definitely see your point though, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Cheesegirl78

kiwifarms.net
I will check these out.

I have a hard time finding good bloggers as well, I'm older and heavier than most of them. I'm no fatty, but no size zero.

Mariposa Electrique

In 2021, Shit will hit the fan 4 Chris
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
HauteLeMode looks special.
Although I work in the medical industry where fragrances are a no-no, at home I'm a fragrance junkie despite having terrible allergies and knowing why fragrances are not welcome in my field of work.

Fashion is one of if not the most nothing industries.
It's based purely on socialization, so it's pretty abstract in concept.

Jaded Optimist

Me love you long time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Karolina is whiny IMO Professor Halley at The Ultimate Fashion History is a lot more palatable.
Karolina reminds me of the super stuck up historical reenactors who look down at people who's entire outfit isn't stitched by hand. I feel it deters newbies from getting started into historical costuming, reenactment, or similar hobbies.

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
I think Karolina has a typically Polish, very dry sense of humour. She's really into what she does, but I don't find her snobby at all, just exacting as anyone should be if they are doing this stuff in any professional manner at all. There is so much misrepresentation of vintage fashion and myths about what women looked like or dressed in the past out there perpetrated by people who've done 2.5 seconds of research and then confidently proclaimed themselves experts, that it must drive people who actually have studied this stuff in a bit more depth mental. At least she approaches it with a sense of humour.

I mean, I have a passing interest in this vintage stuff, and there's stuff that makes me want to stuff people's heads into a pillow to shut them up - such as the commonly repeated mythology that 50s women and models were commonly zaftig and Marliyn Monroe was a modern size 16. No, and no, and the slightest research would debunk it, but people still repeat it like an article of faith.

Last edited:

Jaded Optimist

Me love you long time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Karolina has a typically Polish, very dry sense of humour.
Could be. She reminds of my eastern European s.i.l, but she also doesnt like her for similar reasons. She seems to talk down to even those "in the know". My s.i.l recreates historical outfits for museums and feels Kristina is extreme.

W

WW 635

kiwifarms.net
I was always told " If you have a quality bag, great shoes and nice jewelry it doesnt matter w hat you wear because those items will make even a 5 buck top look 100 bucks" I stand by that.
I only semi agree with this after having seen too many women walking around with a bag that looked more expensive than their rent but clothes that were worn and looked like they came from a thrift shop

doyoulikebread

kiwifarms.net
While we’re on the subject of historical fashion, a YouTuber I like a lot is Angela Clayton. She makes her own clothing whether it’s through following a vintage pattern or making her own from scratch. She also explores a wide range of decades. An interesting series she’s currently doing is taking dress designs from vintage barbies and recreating them in her size.

• Feels
Reactions: dark_lob1111

dark_lob1111

kiwifarms.net
While we’re on the subject of historical fashion, a YouTuber I like a lot is Angela Clayton. She makes her own clothing whether it’s through following a vintage pattern or making her own from scratch. She also explores a wide range of decades. An interesting series she’s currently doing is taking dress designs from vintage barbies and recreating them in her size.
OMG YES I forgot I found her on Tumblr years ago, after her Merida cosplay went viral.
This channel is really good, I had no idea that somebody was doing breakdowns of contemporary fashion in older films - a great idea.
Prof Halley is wonderful too, my only issue is she doesn't enable comments on any videos. I understand the atmosphere she's going for since she does have a facebook community, but it's a little frustrating I can't shoot the shit with others over content I love.

Attachments

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
I only semi agree with this after having seen too many women walking around with a bag that looked more expensive than their rent but clothes that were worn and looked like they came from a thrift shop
Once lived in an area where it was common to see overweight women in gross, stained, ill fitting sweatpants toting Louis Vuitton bags, dragging their yappy dogs out to do a shit. Trust me when I say the bags didn't elevate the outfits or people, the outfits and people dragged the LV down to trash status for me.

I'm a fan of simple, well-fitting clothes that suit one's body type and personality. Cheaper basics like simple v-neck tees and skinny trousers with flourishes like a lovely, better quality overcoat or jacket and more expensive, proper leather boots, none of this plastic shit. Not a fan of trends for the sake of trends either. Also a fan of staying in shape so that clothes fit better to start with. Stuff drapes better on a fitter, slimmer framefor the most part, that's just how it is.

Baklava

PhD in Postcolonial Poultry Science
kiwifarms.net
I f you think historical hairstyles are interesting, Janet Stephens does neat breakdowns. Here's one on the hairstyle of the Vestal Virgins. Bernadette Banner is also neat if you like historical dress and costumes. Here's one she did on how to make a cute but more contemporary take on an Edwardian walking skirt.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino