Community Fat Acceptance Movement -

Captain Ahab

kiwifarms.net
I suspect the model there is meant to be a flattering presentation, but there is no doubt that what qualified as fat or chubby has changed markedly since that ad which is from the 50s, I think?. Even in the 70s most people, and certainly kids were much slimmer than now. People who weren't there can look at candid street photography of crowds for an illustration. Being very seriously overweight was really something mainly seen in the middle aged or older - people who had had time to eat themselves huge. With the normal kid's lifestyle - walking everywhere before everyone had a car, walking to school twice a day, playing outside actively not inside stuck at a console, active games in the playground at breaktimes instead of hunched around phones, and with food costs being actually a far larger part of the average wage than now and thus simply being more limited, it was simply harder to get children fat than it is now in a time of totally sedentary lifestyles and very cheap, calorie-dense food everywhere. Endless snacking between meals is cheap and possible in a way it never used to be unless you had money coming out of your ears. Sweets were a once a week thing for many in the 70s.

Compare and contrast now, when I see kids waiting for the bus at 8am with a can of Coke and a chocolate bar every single morning. Maybe instead of breakfast, but just as likely on top of breakfast. They have the money, you see them queuing in the local shop in the morning and after-school they buy sweets and fizzy drinks too. Affluence plays into this, for sure.

The 70s notion of a fat kid was maybe 10lb over the top weight they should be - enough to look a little chunky. A kid that size would stand out in class given everyone else was generally skinny. Now they have big sloppy beer bellies, or look like little spherical Sumos and it's out if the question to call them fat. I saw a kid maybe 9 years old following his mum at the supermarket the other day who was so all-over fat he waddled and had several chins. You really wonder if the parent even acknowledges it as a problem.

Even in the 80s it was vanishingly rare where I lived to see the kind of fat kid who seems to make up 20% of classes now- and whose parents would have a defensive, teary meltdown if you suggested - correctly- their kids was badly overweight and they should reassess the family diet.

Also I am imagining the fuss if a company named a line 'chubbettes' now.
In the Simpsons episodes where Homer tried to gain weight for disability, his goal weight was 300 lbs. His normal weight was somewhere in the mid 200’s. The most famous American fatty on TV would barely stand out nowadays. Hell, in a lot of places, he could pass for relatively fit.

Blue Canary in the outlet

...by the lightswitch, who's watching you...
kiwifarms.net
Genetics play a role in overweight. Some people have the tendency to gain easier weight than other.

Buuut, hear me out.

It's no excuse to turn into a fucking planet and "hurr durr it's in my geeeneees!!"

It's about what you are doing with your genetic blueprint.
When you gain easy weight, than do something about it.

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
In the Simpsons episodes where Homer tried to gain weight for disability, his goal weight was 300 lbs. His normal weight was somewhere in the mid 200’s. The most famous American fatty on TV would barely stand out nowadays. Hell, in a lot of places, he could pass for relatively fit.
This reminds me of the most famous circus fat lady, Dolly Dimples, real name Celesta Geyer. She was UNDER 400lbs in her twenties! Way smaller than most of the 20-something cows we discuss here (paging ALR! paging Chantel! ) and she made her living showing off her fantastic, scary fatness to the general public during the Depression. She eventually topped out in the 500s, which at only 4' 11" tall must have been hell on her and seriously head-turning in a time when many people struggled to find enough to eat to get by.

Unlike our cows, Celesta actually eventually went on a diet - successfully - and ended up weighing a mere 112lb. It took a heart attack in her late forties to spur this, but she accomplished it, and maintained this low weight the rest of her life. Amazingly, given she'd been hugely fat since childhood due to the family's habit of eating six large meals a day. It must have been very, very difficult for her. She even wrote a book about her diet plan:

celesta book.jpg

Just think, a woman so famously fat people paid good money to see her during a time of great poverty would now barely turn a head in an average mall. There are thousands just like her, of both sexes. What a time to be alive!

simulated goat

Intellectual Property
kiwifarms.net
"Vintage" just means anything older than 20 years. There were definitely fat-as-fuck sizes in 1999. Not as big as now, but still huge.
TIL all the crap I threw out in 1990 is worth something now...

I will add that vintage has this aura of old pin up shit, rockabilly clothes and cool old hip stuff from the sixties. They just didn't make classics like that in the nineties and to call that vintage just because it's old (and especially fast fashion without a pedigree) I personally say 'meh'.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
The 70s notion of a fat kid was maybe 10lb over the top weight they should be - enough to look a little chunky. A kid that size would stand out in class given everyone else was generally skinny. Now they have big sloppy beer bellies, or look like little spherical Sumos and it's out if the question to call them fat. I saw a kid maybe 9 years old following his mum at the supermarket the other day who was so all-over fat he waddled and had several chins. You really wonder if the parent even acknowledges it as a problem.

Even in the 80s it was vanishingly rare where I lived to see the kind of fat kid who seems to make up 20% of classes now- and whose parents would have a defensive, teary meltdown if you suggested - correctly- their kids was badly overweight and they should reassess the family diet.
Yeah the difference is absolutely insane now. In the 80s you had "the fat kid" and now half the class is about his or her size and "the fat kid" for them looks like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Same with the patient population. Back in the day we had "the fat guy" and everyone knew who he was. He had severe respiratory issues (actually unrelated to weight, it was some kind of congenital defect that I don't remember) so he was a frequent flier. His weight was in the high 300s. This dude dwarfed everyone else back then in the mid-80s. Now he'd barely stand out.

With kids it's a bit more of a problem though since parents now no longer know what a healthy weight looks like. Obviously no parent is out there memorizing height and weight charts, and they just rely on other kids to determine what's normal. Kids that are normal for their age and height typically get concern from other parents since they look like skeletons compared to Lardboy next door.

Otterly

Primark Primarch
kiwifarms.net
Even in the 70s most people, and certainly kids were much slimmer than now
Oh yes, definitely. At risk of going off on ‘when I were a lass’ rant, we genuinely did walk everywhere, junk food didn’t exist when I was a kid, I remember when McDonald’s opened in our town and it was like something rare and exotic. We did t have that much money, we got a 10p mix on a Friday on the way home from school and that was it, unless it was kids parties and even that was homemade cake and crisps rather than ultra processed stuff. Lifestyles have changed hugely. We didn’t drink pop, and we didn’t eat junk - everything was cooked from scratch. There were no fat kids in my class - the ones we thought were fat then would be classed as normal now. Vanity sizing is a thing too - I have clothes from the seventies that are an entirely different shape to modern stuff and the sizing is so different.

Obesity requires severe mental illness to achieve.
obesity on the 600lb level absolutely yes. Just plain old BMi 30 ish? no I don’t think it does. We live in a society where food is cheap, plentiful and ever available. We are chained to our jobs in a way we weren’t before. It only takes an extra excess few dozen calories a day to become obese in a year or so. Many women when pregnant pack weight on and it takes a while to lose. Menopause and middle age can alter fat distribution.
Just being overweight or in the regular obese category isn’t a severe mental illness - it’s a depressing indictment of how our society is unhealthy as fuck.

Getting to the size of amberlynn is mental illness territory, as is being a fat advocate who ignores all scientific and medical advice

I raped a dog 2day

kiwifarms.net
Hey. Remember how they’re always going on about how all they eat is salad and Diet Coke but they still get fat? Yeah. Someone who actually eats healthy isn’t going to have a huge platter of fast food sitting in front of themselves and they aren’t going to dedicate an entire Instagram post to singing the praises of a fast food joint. Hell, I can’t even remember the last time I had fast food and the last time I had French fries, they were a portion about a quarter the size of this one and they were baked instead of fried.

rocknrollmartian

kiwifarms.net
Hey. Remember how they’re always going on about how all they eat is salad and Diet Coke but they still get fat? Yeah. Someone who actually eats healthy isn’t going to have a huge platter of fast food sitting in front of themselves and they aren’t going to dedicate an entire Instagram post to singing the praises of a fast food joint. Hell, I can’t even remember the last time I had fast food and the last time I had French fries, they were a portion about a quarter the size of this one and they were baked instead of fried.
Oh, FA Instagrams are always full of pictures of huge portions, fried foods, 18" pizzas, massive sundaes and other things that most people eat maybe once a year and then instantly regret because they feel like shit afterward. The "salad and Diet Coke" nonsense is just there when it's convenient for them or they want to play into the "good fatty" trope because someone like Alan Roberts called them out as unhealthy. Like most SJW BS, FA is loads of hypocrisy and goalpost-moving.

NototiousUnit

kiwifarms.net
How dare you imply they need to be "good fatties" in order to be accepted by society!!!11!!!

But for real, most of the things these women eat, it's always portions most average sized people would probably share/save for leftovers.

Here are just a few quick examples from Sonalee's instagram (@thefatsextherapist). You know she just destroyed each and every one of those meals in one sitting.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 2.23.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 2.24.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 2.24.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 2.24.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 2.24.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 2.25.11 PM.png

In her "quirky" eating videos she's put on her Instagram you can tell she can barely taste anything she's eating. Before she has even finished chewing the previous bite she goes back in for more. Never seems to take a breath and it doesn't seem like she's swallowed any food before moving on. It's really gross to watch. She takes the phrase "living to eat" to a whole new territory.

rocknrollmartian

kiwifarms.net
Not gonna lie, the eggs benny looks fucking delicious, but I hate dessert atrocities like that "donut ice cream sandwich" mess. There is such a thing as too rich, too sugary, and just plain unnecessary. Only people like Sonalee can or would eat that entire thing.

Also, I enjoy that Sonalee ate at least five full-sized separate cookies/pastries in one sitting as well (and there's no way she "walked her butt" there unless she means an Uber driver dropped her off directly in front of the shop); I'm fairly sure that a decent-sized brownie is enough by itself for most people.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino