Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among 50 snared in elite college cheating scam, authorities say - Shortage of Hallmark Christmas movies expected later this year

No, no. The SATs used to be out of 2400 points from 1995 to 2016
They’ve only reverted to the 1600 scheme AFTER 2016.

Meaning David Hogg’s score is 1100/1600 (which puts it as extremely average but not bad), and that Henriquez chick, who took hers in 2015, is 1900/2400 (WITH CHEATING).
That can't be right, I graduated in 2001 and took the 1600 point test, just math and language? English?

Now I'll give you some fodder for the smart guys thread, since we're talking about it. I got a 1410 out of 1600. You've seen the stupid fucking shit I say. I wouldn't put too much stock in SATs for determining general intelligence.

Lysenko

Soviet Geneticist
kiwifarms.net
Perhaps that explains Robert Mugabe's Masters in Economics and Administration.

Lets be honest. Its rigged and the only reason these people are in trouble is because they tried to cheat on a budget.

Credit to Jeb Bush because he upset his father by going to a university to get a degree he'd actually earn.
Wow, Jeb Bush actually went to University of Texas and got a degree in Latin American Affairs. The only politician I know of that probably got a degree that reflects their intellect. Daddy Bush must have been furious! (Not that I stan Jeb Bush, but I gotta give him that)

Dracula's Spirit Animal

One time, I accidentally ate a bunch of nails
kiwifarms.net
That can't be right, I graduated in 2001 and took the 1600 point test, just math and language? English?

Now I'll give you some fodder for the smart guys thread, since we're talking about it. I got a 1410 out of 1600. You've seen the stupid fucking shit I say. I wouldn't put too much stock in SATs for determining general intelligence.
I don't think we've ever come to an adequate definition of what intelligence actually means. There are a lot of factors: pure logic, recall, creativity, pattern-recognition, daring, spontaneity, confidence, familiarity, etc. etc.... We test for something we haven't defined, which is totally exceptional.

IQ tests in particular are fucking dumb. My wife once wanted us to take official intelligence tests. The results were complete garbage. I got 152 IIRC, and she got in the 110s. I'm a complete numbnuts, and she isn't. Whatever it measured wasn't intelligence. Being personally used to the kind of shit they ask was why I did well.

As an aside, NEVER do this with your significant other. It caused so much drama over what I considered a lark... it will all end in tears, and all that.

Lysenko

Soviet Geneticist
kiwifarms.net
I don't think we've ever come to an adequate definition of what intelligence actually means. There are a lot of factors: pure logic, recall, creativity, pattern-recognition, daring, spontaneity, confidence, familiarity, etc. etc.... We test for something we haven't defined, which is totally exceptional.

IQ tests in particular are fucking dumb. My wife once wanted us to take official intelligence tests. The results were complete garbage. I got 152 IIRC, and she got in the 110s. I'm a complete numbnuts, and she isn't. Whatever it measured wasn't intelligence. Being personally used to the kind of shit they ask was why I did well.

As an aside, NEVER do this with your significant other. It caused so much drama over what I considered a lark... it will all end in tears, and all that.
The SATs are supposed to be more of a measure if you actually learned the Algebra, geometry, reading, vocabulary, ect. you were supposed to in high school. You really don't have to be a high IQ genius to do OK on it, just someone who paid attention in 9-12th grades.

Dracula's Spirit Animal

kiwifarms.net
The SATs are supposed to be more of a measure if you actually learned the Algebra, geometry, reading, vocabulary, ect. you were supposed to in high school. You really don't have to be a high IQ genius to do OK on it, just someone who paid attention in 9-12th grades.
That was never a thing when I was around, so I misunderstood what they were. What a horrible indictment of an education system that such a thing exists. If you don't comprehend the algebra, you should fail. If you don't have the vocabulary, you should fail. And having failed, you should never even apply for university. It should never reach that point where an entire separate industry is set up to vet possible university candidates in the basic functional things they were supposed to have learned at great expense to the tax payer.

It's true in these cases everywhere, I suppose, but the utter dysfunction of the educational and health systems of Current Year in the West is pretty fucked up.

thismanlies

The Funnest Part of Gaming is Looting Corpses.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

LordofTendons

Trust in The Lord
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Hallmark cuts ties with Lori Loughlin following arrest

Hallmark says it is cutting ties with actress Lori Loughlin following her arrest in a sprawling college admissions scam case.

In a statement Thursday, the parent company of the Hallmark Channel says it was “saddened” by the recent allegations.

Hallmark Cards Inc. says it will no longer working with Loughlin and has stopped development of all productions involving her.

Loughlin is a big presence for Hallmark and its Crown Media Family Networks channels that include the flagship Hallmark Channel.

She’s been a longtime star of the channel’s Christmas movies and is also is in its “Garage Sale Mysteries” movies and the series “When Calls the Heart.”

Additionally, cosmetics company Sephora says it’s dropping its social-media relationship with Loughlin’s daughter.

Paris-based Sephora says in a statement Thursday that after reviewing the developments, the company has ended its partnership with 19-year-old Olivia Jade Giannulli “effective immediately.”

Giannulli is a social media star with millions of followers and frequently pushes products online.

Loughlin’s lawyer Perry Visconti did not immediately reply to an email requesting comment.

Azovka

I coulda been a contender
kiwifarms.net

Hmmm, weird. Tbh I googled the format changes for the SAT exams. All I know is that I took them in 2012, and it was on a 2400 scale. And it reverted to a 1600 one in 2016. Guess their website was wrong about the starting date of the 2400 scale then.
And I'm not putting too much stock in SATs tbh. As a foreigner, it's by far the dumbest test I ever took.

My outrage at David Hogg making it into Harvard wasn't a critique of his intelligence (tbh, once again, as a foreigner, can't say I really care about him or his Twitter sperging). It was mostly due to the fact that top-tier universities have a relatively strict policy when it comes to the SAT score you must have to have a chance at getting in.
I remember I got 1900/2400 the first time I took them, and my guidance councilor told me I had to take them again to even have the slightest chance at getting into Yale since they only looked at applications with "perfect scores". So I took it again, got 2190/2400, and that was it.

Which is why it seems so absurd that a guy who got 1100/1600 (which is literally the average if you look at the bell curve of the SAT scores across the country) made it into Harvard when he has nothing special to offer other than being a known school shooting survivor.

Lysenko

Soviet Geneticist
kiwifarms.net
Olivia lost her partnership with sephora LOL!

From CBS News:
Sephora put out a statement Thursday announcing the end of the partnership. "After careful review of recent developments, we have made the decision to end the Sephora Collection partnership with Olivia Jade, effective immediately," a Sephora spokesperson told CBS News.

@Azovka ka I got a perfect ACT and I went to community college. It means absolute shit.

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net
Which is why it seems so absurd that a guy who got 1100/1600 (which is literally the average if you look at the bell curve of the SAT scores across the country) made it into Harvard when he has nothing special to offer other than being a known school shooting survivor.
Even Hogg had an understanding he was pretty average academically; his dream school IIRC was a University of California school which is more realistic a goal than him wanting to go to an Ivy League all along. His acceptance was pretty transparently because "up and coming anti-gun political activist doesn't get into college" would kill his effectiveness as an anti-gun activist, and that is not in the best interests of people to whom he is useful (not that he/the Parkland shooting are politically relevant anymore now that the midterms are over)

Azovka

I coulda been a contender
kiwifarms.net
Olivia lost her partnership with sephora LOL!

From CBS News:
Sephora put out a statement Thursday announcing the end of the partnership. "After careful review of recent developments, we have made the decision to end the Sephora Collection partnership with Olivia Jade, effective immediately," a Sephora spokesperson told CBS News.

@Azovka ka I got a perfect ACT and I went to community college. It means absolute shit.
I’m not saying a good SAT / ACT score is the only requirement to get into top schools. But it is still a requirement.
I know very well it ultimately doesn’t mean shit, and that good scores = intelligence / future success in life or whatever.

All I did was point out that top schools usually don’t even consider “low score” test results, which is why Hogg’s acceptance into Harvard defied their own established logic.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Fuck me. All that money to pay for private tuition and they still couldn't get their little mashed-potato-for-brains brats up to a decent standard of exam results.
SATs are actually pretty good as a predictor of academic success and while you might be able to take courses to avoid some common errors and bring it up a little, it's not going to make you smarter and if you're an idiot, you'll still be an idiot when you take the test.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
IQ tests seem to prove how good you are solving basic logic problems through a mathematical language. Doesn't really prove how "smart" you are, but how much you're able to understand logic thinking and are aware of certain logical dynamics. I guess that's the reason why men (I dunno if you're a man) have higher scores. I am a woman and I scored high, but then I also was always good at maths and went to STEM in College so I also guess it's something you're born with. Is this a good measure? depends. I think the ability to solve problems is something that should be encouraged more than just memorize data or dates.

Dracula's Spirit Animal

kiwifarms.net
IQ tests seem to prove how good you are solving basic logic problems through a mathematical language. Doesn't really prove how "smart" you are, but how much you're able to understand logic thinking and are aware of certain logical dynamics. I guess that's the reason why men (I dunno if you're a man) have higher scores. I am a woman and I scored high, but then I also was always good at maths and went to STEM in College so I also guess it's something you're born with. Is this a good measure? depends. I think the ability to solve problems is something that should be encouraged more than just memorize data or dates.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Math, and formal logic style thinking were always much more my forte, which would explain why I could have done much better than my wife, who is clearly more all around intelligent than I am. It being called, much less accepted as "intelligence" testing is what makes it so exceptional.

It would be interesting, and the dataset is suitably large now, to not just predict SAT to University to later life success, but to look at the data to see other patterns. Like the point on SATs for a kid from an impoverished background that does the SAT to University to professional success.

Not talking the hand-wringing "you poor poor/black/women" thing, but if there is a variation from the successful end. Like maybe women who are successful professionally afterwards needed an extra hundred points on the test to reach that threshold. Maybe the drive of poor black kids who actually manage to get into that track work hard enough that they succeed just as much as the average while having scores 300 points lower.

Surely someone does this kind of study, rather than just white man bad, we'z oppreshed! type studies....

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Far Queue

kiwifarms.net
IQ tests seem to prove how good you are solving basic logic problems through a mathematical language. Doesn't really prove how "smart" you are, but how much you're able to understand logic thinking and are aware of certain logical dynamics. I guess that's the reason why men (I dunno if you're a man) have higher scores.
Logical reasoning is the basis for just about any form of skilled labor in today's world, so it's a useful measure. It's not necessary to have an incredibly high IQ for every form of work, but once you get below a certain point, you're functionally exceptional. Having a high IQ doesn't guarantee success in life, though it is one of the most strongly correlated traits with success. But if you're a lazy fuck, have ADHD, or a tendency for addiction, then a high IQ may do very little for you.

Also the average IQ isn't different for men and women, but if you look at the distributions what you see is that men have "longer tails" in the distribution. What this means is that if you know that someone has an IQ of 100, it's equally probable that they're either sex. However, if you have someone with an exceptionally high (145+) or exceptionally low (60-) the probability that person is a man is significantly higher.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
I remember when they added the writing/composition essay section to the SAT some years ago, all the Chinese international student applicants were chimping out because they thought it was bad enough they had to take the TOEFL and now here was another Anglophone gatekeeping conspiracy to screw them over in favor of native English speakers.

Water-T

Let's go crunch some numbers!
kiwifarms.net
This shit keeps getting better. Now it's been reported that while Lori "Aunt Becky" Loughlin was getting busted by the feds, her Instathot daughter was partying on a yacht with the Head Chairman of Trustees at her college. I'm guessing she was trying to make sure she didn't get the boot from all those "cool parties" and "raging keggers".

"Oh, please help me, sir! slurp I'm just a poor girl suck that has been treated so unfairly gag I have such a hunger for partying...I mean, suck learning that I'd do anything chokes to stay at here at....OH GOD NOT IN MY EYES! IT BURNS!"

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I remember when they added the writing/composition essay section to the SAT some years ago, all the Chinese international student applicants were chimping out because they thought it was bad enough they had to take the TOEFL and now here was another Anglophone gatekeeping conspiracy to screw them over in favor of native English speakers.
Then we should just have an objective history test on things that provably happened that anyone reasonably knowledgeable would know about.

Like the Tiananmen Square massacre.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
Then we should just have an objective history test on things that provably happened that anyone reasonably knowledgeable would know about.

Like the Tiananmen Square massacre.
You joke, but I've actually heard Chinese grad school applicants complaining about American-history reading passages on the GRE exams, even though the whole point of those reading passages is to test verbal reasoning and logic, not knowledge of history. The subject material of the passage is immaterial to the questions, which all have to do with the construction of the passage's argument and logic. But they are convinced that it is a manifestation of an anti-foreigner bias in the exams material.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino