Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among 50 snared in elite college cheating scam, authorities say - Shortage of Hallmark Christmas movies expected later this year

Coleslaw

kiwifarms.net
How? This isn’t preventing people from going to college in any way. If you’re smart and worked hard, got good grades, and a good SAT score then you’re still getting into college. These kids won’t take a spot in an engineering school or whatever, they’re too dumb.

A lot of people are jealous and upset their parents didn’t blow thousands on a scam and they had to work hard. They should be proud of what they accomplished in their own but these are the same people who want a gibsmedat.
Remember the part I said either the "disgustingly" or the "filthy rich" was right? Yeah, me neither.

Lysenko

Soviet Geneticist
kiwifarms.net
Even Hogg had an understanding he was pretty average academically; his dream school IIRC was a University of California school which is more realistic a goal than him wanting to go to an Ivy League all along. His acceptance was pretty transparently because "up and coming anti-gun political activist doesn't get into college" would kill his effectiveness as an anti-gun activist, and that is not in the best interests of people to whom he is useful (not that he/the Parkland shooting are politically relevant anymore now that the midterms are over)
He got into a state school, then after Parkland he reapplied to Harvard. He would have gone to college either way.

Reactions: Xerxes IX

rocknrollmartian

kiwifarms.net
He got into a state school, then after Parkland he reapplied to Harvard. He would have gone to college either way.
He would've gone to college either way, but a loudmouth demagogue like Hogg will have far more reach and influence with Harvard as his alma mater, especially within political/lobbyist spheres. Like it or not, people can and do use "I went to Harvard" as shorthand for "I'm important/smart/special." (And of course some of them genuinely are.) Also, he will more readily be able to meet and impress people who have money and power; the Harvard alumni network alone is a behemoth.

A lot of people seem to think we're at a juncture where college reputation doesn't matter as much as it used to (or that college doesn't matter at all), and I really don't think that's true...which I guess answers my original question on why it was so important to dum-dum Olivia Jade's parents that she go to a reasonably competitive "name" school to the point where they did inexcusably unethical and illegal shit.

Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I’m not saying a good SAT / ACT score is the only requirement to get into top schools. But it is still a requirement.
I know very well it ultimately doesn’t mean shit, and that good scores = intelligence / future success in life or whatever.

All I did was point out that top schools usually don’t even consider “low score” test results, which is why Hogg’s acceptance into Harvard defied their own established logic.
When I was applying to schools it was pretty much accepted that to get into Harvard having a good sob story about overcoming hardship is just as important, if not moreso, than having good test scores. I'm certainly not claiming that good grades aren't important to Ivy Leagues, but for me it's not surprising to hear that someone with a highly publicized sob story would be accepted into Harvard with average grades and test scores.

Buer

The God of Tits and Wine
kiwifarms.net
He would've gone to college either way, but a loudmouth demagogue like Hogg will have far more reach and influence with Harvard as his alma mater, especially within political/lobbyist spheres. Like it or not, people can and do use "I went to Harvard" as shorthand for "I'm important/smart/special." (And of course some of them genuinely are.) Also, he will more readily be able to meet and impress people who have money and power; the Harvard alumni network alone is a behemoth.

A lot of people seem to think we're at a juncture where college reputation doesn't matter as much as it used to (or that college doesn't matter at all), and I really don't think that's true...which I guess answers my original question on why it was so important to dum-dum Olivia Jade's parents that she go to a reasonably competitive "name" school to the point where they did inexcusably unethical and illegal shit.
If his major is political science or if he's trying to get into politics then I can understand the reasoning behind getting into a college like Harvard despite not really having the qualifications. All future politicians are more than likely at that school and the connections would help him out a lot in that field. Though that is suggesting he's smart enough to pass his courses. His SAT scores are average so who really knows how smart he is. He might've studied a lot for that score or he might not have studied at all and got it.

Last edited:

Far Queue

kiwifarms.net
You joke, but I've actually heard Chinese grad school applicants complaining about American-history reading passages on the GRE exams, even though the whole point of those reading passages is to test verbal reasoning and logic, not knowledge of history. The subject material of the passage is immaterial to the questions, which all have to do with the construction of the passage's argument and logic. But they are convinced that it is a manifestation of an anti-foreigner bias in the exams material.
To some of them it probably is. I've noticed that with a lot of Chinese or Indian students, it's all about cramming rather than learning to apply reasoning. They're smart students and can regurgitate all manner of facts word for word, but fuck me standing if they know what any of it actually means. It's not because they're stupid, but because the education system they were brought up in was completely fucked up and prioritized rote memorization of information over everything else, so that's what they've done.

If his major is political science or if he's trying to get into politics then I can understand the reasoning behind getting into a college like Harvard despite not really having the qualifications. All future politicians are more than likely at that school and the connections would help him out a lot in that field. Though that is suggesting he's smart enough to pass his courses. His SAT scores are average so who really knows how smart he is. He might've studied a lot for that score or he might not have studied at all and got it.
He won't be the only average kid at Harvard as there are plenty of people who are there because of who their relatives are rather than how intelligent they are. He won't fail out unless he's a complete dipshit and does nothing. However, Harvard is full of kids with the same kind of machinations as he has, only they grew up in it and have a family history of it. He's going to be a pawn in the games that other kids are playing, and I don't see him going far politically if for no other reason than he's stupid enough to try to be part of a political group that's going to always be against him for his skin color and gender.

rocknrollmartian

kiwifarms.net
He does plan to major in political science (or whatever Harvard calls it). His SAT score was 1270, well below their average but not embarrassingly godawful for a normal student. Talk about a ghoulishly fortuitous special circumstance and a sob story. And after reading that A is the most commonly awarded grade at Harvard, he will be OK as long he parrots his professors. I can see him being an irritating, shrill pundit for years to come if he doesn't find a place in politics proper.

Felicity Huffman's daughter had a PSAT score of something like 1000; the "proctor" boosted her to 1420 for the SAT. I think that one was planning on majoring in drama and attends a performing arts high school, though, so she would've been fine even at a rigorously academic school. Too bad she got sucked in and fucked over by her parents and this scheme before she even earned her high school diploma. This sort of behavior at my average public high school would've resulted in expulsion, I assume.

Terrorist

Osama bin Ladkin
kiwifarms.net
One of the best parts of this is all the alogging from other scions of wealth. Braedyn Fuckworthy III and Maury Goldrichstein all waking up in a cold sweat from their make-work journalism jobs to tweetstorm "Let me just preface this by saying I was actually really good at taking tests (1/512)"

Like yeah if we're being honest here you probably didn't get where you are entirely by your own merit. But you're also 35 years old and nobody asked you or cares, so shut up about it already.

I feel saddest for the Huffman kid, bc she would've done fine at some art school but noooo, muh ivy... and now she's fucked, because I guess the William H Macy lineage just needed that posterity.

Last edited:

Kiwi Lime Pie

Kiss me, I'm tastefully Irish 🍀. 🥝🥧
kiwifarms.net
The SATs are supposed to be more of a measure if you actually learned the Algebra, geometry, reading, vocabulary, ect. you were supposed to in high school. You really don't have to be a high IQ genius to do OK on it, just someone who paid attention in 9-12th grades.
It also depends on the courses you took, whether you grasp the material and how you approach the exam. If you actually understand what you're learning and not just parroting stuff back from rote memory (as a previous poster mentioned in regards to some foreign students), that's probably half the battle right there.

If you don't have the vocabulary, you should fail. And having failed, you should never even apply for university.
Does the current version of the ACT/SAT still use obscure analogies that make you wonder who came up with them? That was the only real part that of the ACT whose purpose I questioned. However, I agree with your premise that someone that hasn't taken high school courses that are largely college preparatory in nature will probably struggle mightily on the ACT or SAT.

At the time I attended my university the ACT didn't have an essay portion. So, my university's freshman orientation process included separate placement exams for both math and composition. The composition placement exam had its own essay-writing section where we had to chose a topic from a fixed number of options and write a short essay about it within the allotted time. The Composition/Communications department then evaluated the essays and sent both the department chair and each student a letter informing them which mandatory Freshman-level composition course had been recommended for enrollment in during the first semester.

I’m not saying a good SAT / ACT score is the only requirement to get into top schools
I'm not sure how much this varies from school to school but my University had a sliding scale largely based on one's GPA in core subjects and your SAT/ACT score. A higher GPA could be paired with a slightly lower exam score, and vice versa. There was a matrix in place that had four categories based on the combinaton of GPA and exam scores:
  • Admission with an inivtiation into the undergraduate honors program.
  • Regular admission
  • Conditional admission*
  • Rejection
* Those with a lower GPA or exam score slightly below those needed for regular admission might be still be admitted, but under a special program where incoming students are required to attend regular counseling and tutoring sessions as Freshman to demonstrate they can handle college-level coursework with some sort of sign-off required to continue on beyond the initial year.

Also, my university also required a slightly lower GPA if one transferred from another university of community college with the idea being college courses are more rigorous. So, a slightly lower collegiate GPA (2.75 or better on a four-point scale in this case) was treated the same as a slightly higher high school GPA when reviewing the admission criteria. As always, YMMV.

Edit to use the correct homonym.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Oscar Wildean

We may be stupid, but we're not clever.
kiwifarms.net
Another juicy article from the daily mail on Lori's daughter. They reshot an internet game show because Olivia didn't win the first time ROFL.
@Oscar Wildean that kind of self-centeredness is taught by terrible parents and role models
So many kids of Hollywood stars act this way. Their parents pay their way to go to famous schools and they don't appreciate it. It actually makes me appreciate child stars more tbh since sometimes those ones work a bit more to go to school. If that makes sense.
As for Lori, you know what they say. You can tell how someone is by how they treat waiters/waitresses or staff.

Why does Lori think she's that great anyway? Mary Kate and Ashley were way more famous than her.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
You can tell how someone is by how they treat waiters/waitresses or staff.
It's how they treat people who can't retaliate against them. So if you're ever in a situation where, for whatever reason, you can't retaliate against them, that's exactly how they'll treat you. It's always a good idea to eat out with anyone you plan any kind of serious business relationship with. Sociopaths give themselves away in that situation.

Lysenko

Soviet Geneticist
kiwifarms.net
So many kids of Hollywood stars act this way. Their parents pay their way to go to famous schools and they don't appreciate it. It actually makes me appreciate child stars more tbh since sometimes those ones work a bit more to go to school. If that makes sense.
As for Lori, you know what they say. You can tell how someone is by how they treat waiters/waitresses or staff.

Why does Lori think she's that great anyway? Mary Kate and Ashley were way more famous than her.
I remember watching this scene as a kid and it still rings true. If your kid is a spoiled brat the only ones to blame are mom and dad.

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
Hmmm, weird. Tbh I googled the format changes for the SAT exams. All I know is that I took them in 2012, and it was on a 2400 scale. And it reverted to a 1600 one in 2016. Guess their website was wrong about the starting date of the 2400 scale then.
And I'm not putting too much stock in SATs tbh. As a foreigner, it's by far the dumbest test I ever took.
2400 started in 2006 (or 2005, with the kids taking it first attending in 2006, etc,) the year after I took it. I got a 1460 by the way but settled on a state school anyway because I didn't give a fuck. Should have tried for like George Washington or something.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino