Female-driven Lord of The Flies remake in the works. - More gender-swapping for the sake of it.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

All is Finite

kiwifarms.net
Source

I couldn’t have been more than 10 years old when I first saw the 1990 adaptation of William Goldman’s LORD OF THE FLIES, which has stuck with me through the years, and not just because of how good Balthazar Getty was as the protagonist. No, it was Piggy’s death scene that haunted me. And now it will haunt a new generation, as The Deep End filmmakers Scott McGehee and David Siegel have signed on to write and direct a new Lord of the Flies movie for Warner Bros., though this one comes with a timely twist — the characters will be female.

Gender-swapping roles in remakes is all the rage these days in Hollywood, but I think it actually makes sense here. Yeah, the idea of a group of teenage girls establishing a pecking order while stranded on a remote island could actually work, especially in the wake of The Beguiled and the forthcoming update of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

McGehee and Siegel plan to be faithful to the novel, though they’ll contemporize the action, which could prove to be timely given its themes of bullying — still a nasty issue throughout America.

Lord of the Flies was first adapted for the screen in 1963, though it was the 1990 version produced by Castle Rock that led to Warner Bros. owning some of the rights before sewing up a deal with Golding’s estate.

McGehee and Siegel’s credits also include Bee Season and What Maisie Knew. They’re represented by ICM Partners, and Deadline broke the news of their hiring.

Muttnik

To the stars!
kiwifarms.net
I distinctly recall author William Golding stating that he didn't include girls in his novel because he optimistically believed that girls would be better at sorting things out rationally than boys would.

That said, Catfight Tumblr Island sounds like it could be gloriously wonder-terrible. They can fight over whose turn it is to check their privilege and who assumed whose pronouns.

BatChatillon

kiwifarms.net
This is going to be a salt fest. Seems like someone did not learn from Feig's Ghostbusters . It's like a saltmine no matter the outcome.

People will get salty because they twist the original, MRAs get salty because women.
But feminists will also get salty because if they go by the book then things will happen in a women-only microcosmos like they would happen in a male-only one. "No way girls can be as violent as men, you are disrespecting women and you turn them into hollywood action heroes!" etc.

Should the movie be called "Mistress of the Flies" then?

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
This film sounds pretty great! Mean girls murder island!

The problem is this is what it would have to be to be any good, because the whole point of the novel is saying some rather dark things about human nature. But the virtue signaling right out of the gate is really saying it's going to be too "woke" to say anything terrible about the female protagonists.

It's sort of like an all woman Ghostbusters could actually have been good, maybe even with exactly the same cast, if it weren't more concerned with being "grrl power" bullshit than with being a good movie.

Yaks

Beware of young girls...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is going to be a salt fest. Seems like someone did not learn from Feig's Ghostbusters . It's like a saltmine no matter the outcome.

People will get salty because they twist the original, MRAs get salty because women.
But feminists will also get salty because if they go by the book then things will happen in a women-only microcosmos like they would happen in a male-only one. "No way girls can be as violent as men, you are disrespecting women and you turn them into hollywood action heroes!" etc.

Should the movie be called "Mistress of the Flies" then?

This could be good if they actually take the premise in a realistic direction and the girls are just as terrible as the boys, but possibly in a different way.

It will probably be utter shit, though.

For the first time I think they have potential to make something actually interesting with the use of an all female cast (I mean, even if the other films like Ghostbusters had actually been good, it would have just been an all girl cast fighting ghosts, nothing to say there.) I'd like to see what they end up doing with it, but yeah I won't keep my hopes high. It will probably be shit due to missed opportunity and not wanting to offend feminists.

CWCchange

Ɔʍɔɔɥɐuƃǝ
kiwifarms.net
I distinctly recall author William Golding stating that he didn't include girls in his novel because he optimistically believed that girls would be better at sorting things out rationally than boys would.
Considering the novel was set in an alternative history of the Cold War going nuclear, Golding's logic implies no war would happen because men are violent savages.

With women, the novel would be over after two pages of the girls dying of starvation in menstrual blood. To correct this, set the movie in an SJW's wet dream alternative history where Hillary Clinton wins and along with Angela Merkel, start a nuclear war with evil white male Vladimir Putin. The Ralph character would be a Jewish feminist, Simon a Muslim in a burka, and Piggy a black gentle giant. Only the Jack character would be white as the antagonist.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Depends if you think a bunch of children who starved to death is better than a good amount of alive children who've gone a bit nuts.

Last edited:

Positron

Wearing the same blue mask since 2004
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He hadn't observed girls enough. Even when being at loggerheads, boys usually have a grudging respect towards each other; girls simply hate each other with every fabric of their beings.