Feminist Criticism In Games: Thank You, Anita Sarkeesian -

Cyclonus

kiwifarms.net
Dt960102dhc0.gif

Pope Negro Jon the XIIIth

AI of SubG Entropic Decline Acceleration Intl. CEO
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, at this point talking about Anita is beating a dead horse into glue. They had her at games companies where if people asked her questions she threw a bitch fit. Her analysis was never made to be criticized, because its basically high-school level thought. Like Freshman level. The entire industry has basically washed their hands of her (though they're still packing in the progtards, at least in the West). Especially once she started critiquing violence, they dumped her as fast as possible, because her defense of 'I'm not Jack Thompson' was destroyed. Not to mention she didn't much like games to begin with and even says so herself. Its kind of hysterical that people tried to memory hole her saying "I had to learn a lot about videogames and I find the violence gross and disgusting" and just saying you're a sexist for bringing that up. It makes me laugh. Nigger, they're her OWN WORDS. Now she's asking for money she says she loves videogames. Are you a fucking moron? No shit she's saying she loves them now, she wants your money.

And no, there's no evidence she played any of the games. In fact, nearly all of her footage was jacked from Longplays and other YouTubers. She never fulfilled most of her Kickstartr rewards and her series was really, REALLY fucking delayed. It was a wonderful grift, and she kept doing it, like asking for 25k to start a discord server or a 'women in history' series that basically paid for her to play dress up and read wikipedia.

Also, hysterically, her ideal female character: A formless biege blob with no female attributes. I used to joke about that shit, I never imagined it was real. I forget what game it was, some shitty, little gameplay indie pixel art game that got absolutely no sales bump from her endorsement.

But really, that's what the ideal female is to people like her. Genderless, formless blobs.

Also, I have to say, she also doesn't know what a trope is. A trope is a writing tool. I want to stress this: You cannot write without using tropes. It is quite literally, impossible. And if you do write without a trope, the second someone else uses your device, it becomes a trope. A trope is a tool.

A naked trope with no detail filled in is a cliche. A well developed trope is just, well, a trope. There's a difference between a trope and a cliche. Also, pointing out tropes doesn't make you intelligent. Its like pointing to a house and going: "I KNOW THE GUY USED A HAMMER TO BUILD THAT" *smug grin* Yeah, ok retard. He also used a nail gun too. Why did he use that hammer? How did he use the hammer differently from a nail gun? Where did he use the hammer? Was it used efficiently? Did he waste his time with it or was it because it was more delicate and precise and he needed more control? Those are the questions you have to ask when you are critiquing something. Obviously, with Anita this was never done. It wasn't meant to be, because her analysis was only meant to get people to mindlessly clap at her. She never engaged in critique because she'd lose and she knew it. She wasn't an idiot. Anita knew she was making simplistic analysis that wouldn't hold up to the barest of scrutiny.

It is also insanely disingenuous to take works, toss them into categories by trope. You are oversimplifying the work and you lose all nuance and detail if you do this. Tossing in works grouped by tropes is only good for a very surface level analysis and you're not going to get anything more than skin deep with it. And like I've said, she knew this. Which is why she didn't allow herself to be challenged. Any challenge was ignored or written off as sexist/misogynistic. Because if she tried to defend this, it would have fallen apart like wet paper. She is trash when she needs to go off script and just can't do it. That's why she has an army of betas and fucktards white-knighting for her (or used to, she's really old news at this point and people are tired of her).

Its completely pathetic. These people are a fucking dime a dozen and the whole journo industry is already on the brink. Going into this field now is completely idiotic.

I mean, that's all well and good but the real problem here is that you're enjoying something that isn't white male guilt and that just has to stop.

Hux

kiwifarms.net
The only positive thing I can say about Jack Thompson is the fact that he at least had the sense to shut the hell up and fuck off out of the public's eye after he was thoroughly disgraced from his disbarment and realized that his Video Game Violence Bad jig is up. Anita overstayed her welcome long ago, but I'd say it's been a blessing in disguise that she lingered long enough for even the most fervent of her bootlickers at the beginning of her "career" had long figured out how much of a duplicitous, radioactive fraud she really is

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The idea of exploring how female characters have been depicted is interesting

But she completely fucked it up. I seem to recall she took cash without actually playing games
IIRC, some of the footage in Tropes vs Women were all just taken from some Youtubers without crediting them. Much as I never watched her shit because I had no interest, for or against her, that just came off as a dick move since it meant that could of been plagiarized.

If you are dumb enough to think that women haven't played video games or have been prominent in video games, you have an IQ that's insulting to a rock. Yes, there's tropes. Yes, there's bad writing. It's not like we had that for thousands of years with books. It's not like there's faceless protags and shit that you can make for your own representation, you have to listen to this absolute dumbslut go on about shit that a middle-school lit class could figure out.

Author of article, I don't want to call you slut or whore, I want to call you a vapid cunt that provides nothing for society and only wastes air.
I can imagine that aside from bad writing, some could feel women weren't represented well because of things like chainmail bikinis, boob plates, and other sorts of outfits. Granted the only one even coming to mind of that being on a cringe level at least was one character from a Prince of Persia game and maybe an elf from Warcraft. Aside from those, one would have to wonder what bad writing was there for them aside from maybe damsel in distress if that ended up being poorly written.

I mean, at this point talking about Anita is beating a dead horse into glue. They had her at games companies where if people asked her questions she threw a bitch fit. Her analysis was never made to be criticized, because its basically high-school level thought. Like Freshman level. The entire industry has basically washed their hands of her (though they're still packing in the progtards, at least in the West). Especially once she started critiquing violence, they dumped her as fast as possible, because her defense of 'I'm not Jack Thompson' was destroyed. Not to mention she didn't much like games to begin with and even says so herself. Its kind of hysterical that people tried to memory hole her saying "I had to learn a lot about videogames and I find the violence gross and disgusting" and just saying you're a sexist for bringing that up. It makes me laugh. Nigger, they're her OWN WORDS. Now she's asking for money she says she loves videogames. Are you a fucking moron? No shit she's saying she loves them now, she wants your money.

And no, there's no evidence she played any of the games. In fact, nearly all of her footage was jacked from Longplays and other YouTubers. She never fulfilled most of her Kickstartr rewards and her series was really, REALLY fucking delayed. It was a wonderful grift, and she kept doing it, like asking for 25k to start a discord server or a 'women in history' series that basically paid for her to play dress up and read wikipedia.

Also, hysterically, her ideal female character: A formless biege blob with no female attributes. I used to joke about that shit, I never imagined it was real. I forget what game it was, some shitty, little gameplay indie pixel art game that got absolutely no sales bump from her endorsement.

But really, that's what the ideal female is to people like her. Genderless, formless blobs.

Also, I have to say, she also doesn't know what a trope is. A trope is a writing tool. I want to stress this: You cannot write without using tropes. It is quite literally, impossible. And if you do write without a trope, the second someone else uses your device, it becomes a trope. A trope is a tool.

A naked trope with no detail filled in is a cliche. A well developed trope is just, well, a trope. There's a difference between a trope and a cliche. Also, pointing out tropes doesn't make you intelligent. Its like pointing to a house and going: "I KNOW THE GUY USED A HAMMER TO BUILD THAT" *smug grin* Yeah, ok retard. He also used a nail gun too. Why did he use that hammer? How did he use the hammer differently from a nail gun? Where did he use the hammer? Was it used efficiently? Did he waste his time with it or was it because it was more delicate and precise and he needed more control? Those are the questions you have to ask when you are critiquing something. Obviously, with Anita this was never done. It wasn't meant to be, because her analysis was only meant to get people to mindlessly clap at her. She never engaged in critique because she'd lose and she knew it. She wasn't an idiot. Anita knew she was making simplistic analysis that wouldn't hold up to the barest of scrutiny.

It is also insanely disingenuous to take works, toss them into categories by trope. You are oversimplifying the work and you lose all nuance and detail if you do this. Tossing in works grouped by tropes is only good for a very surface level analysis and you're not going to get anything more than skin deep with it. And like I've said, she knew this. Which is why she didn't allow herself to be challenged. Any challenge was ignored or written off as sexist/misogynistic. Because if she tried to defend this, it would have fallen apart like wet paper. She is trash when she needs to go off script and just can't do it. That's why she has an army of betas and fucktards white-knighting for her (or used to, she's really old news at this point and people are tired of her).

Its completely pathetic. These people are a fucking dime a dozen and the whole journo industry is already on the brink. Going into this field now is completely idiotic.
With her analysis and the like being high school level on what's essentially writing tools, it makes one wonder how many of the tropes they criticized would be more a product of bad writing than a trope itself. As for a genderless, formless blob, it makes one wonder how many characters Sarkeesian had overlooked that are well written women unless they don't count because of oversimplifying various works.

Miller

Palestine turned Anakin to the dark side
kiwifarms.net
I also learnt that the problem with games wasn’t me.
:story:

As Sarkeesian discusses how sticking mascara and earrings on a blob doesn’t make it a nuanced female character
Ironic.

this content made some people so mad she was forced to cancel a talk at Utah State University in 2014 due to terrorist threats.
Sure and it turned out that the threats were made up, probably by her entourage or herself.

I can imagine that aside from bad writing, some could feel women weren't represented well because of things like chainmail bikinis, boob plates, and other sorts of outfits.
The problem is that men and women view entertainment differently. Men don't play video games to identify with the character (it's "build this", "drive that", "shoot that", "jump on that platform"), women need to see themselves in the game in order to play it. Perhaps it's the reason why so many games these days have a Barbie mode (character customization) where people can spend hours tweaking each setting to get the face in the game.

Last edited:

FunPosting101

Ebin posting only. No other posts allowed. :DDDD
kiwifarms.net
did you seriously think they will their founding myth let to die? :story:
People will still be talking about gamergate 10 or 20 years from now. If we were to invent anti-aging medicine tomorrow, and also invent some sort of interstellar spacecraft that could colonize the nearest solar system we'd have people on one or more of the planets in the Alpha Centauri system either bitching about, or hearing someone else bitch about teh evul muhsoggynists and that time they called glorious Anita a stupid cunt hundreds of years ago.

Last edited:

Night Owl

How long have I waited...
kiwifarms.net
Picture this: It’s 2014; I’m fifteen years old. At this point I’m already scared of online gaming because female names and voices are targeted and treated… differently.
Umm, sweetie... if you're so scared of being called mean names online, stick to single player games.

Or grow a pair of balls and call them niggers and faggots right back.

Remember, at this point I thought women simply couldn’t exist in video game communities, but here she was to prove me wrong.
... we have always been here. Hell, I'm almost a whole decade older than you. I've been here since at least the mid-90s.

It's only retarded cunts like you who believe otherwise.

I saw a woman loving gaming, and it made me realise that I had a place in gaming too.
L.M.A.O.

(And if anyone says anything about ethics in journalism, I will come wail outside your house at 3am until you start making better choices.)
It's about ethics in journalism. I will expect you with a two by four.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IIRC, some of the footage in Tropes vs Women were all just taken from some Youtubers without crediting them. Much as I never watched her shit because I had no interest, for or against her, that just came off as a dick move since it meant that could of been plagiarized.

I can imagine that aside from bad writing, some could feel women weren't represented well because of things like chainmail bikinis, boob plates, and other sorts of outfits. Granted the only one even coming to mind of that being on a cringe level at least was one character from a Prince of Persia game and maybe an elf from Warcraft. Aside from those, one would have to wonder what bad writing was there for them aside from maybe damsel in distress if that ended up being poorly written.

With her analysis and the like being high school level on what's essentially writing tools, it makes one wonder how many of the tropes they criticized would be more a product of bad writing than a trope itself. As for a genderless, formless blob, it makes one wonder how many characters Sarkeesian had overlooked that are well written women unless they don't count because of oversimplifying various works.
It is honestly hard to say. I find it kind of pointless to even go through and criticize it, because it simply isn't made to be criticized. Its not made for a discussion. She didn't want to have one at all. Not once did she ever engage in public debate. Because the whole thing wasn't meant to operate that way. It would put the money at risk. And you never fuck around with the money. Her whole endeavor was to extract money from gaming companies and communities. She wasn't looking for detailed analysis. She considered every trope 'bad'. It was supposed to be inflammatory. She did as little work as she possibly could, sitting in front of what basically amounts to a green screen, having her then boyfriend write up the scripts while ripping video from YouTube and then reading them in a monotone, insincere voice lacking all charisma. It was the perfect grift. Of course, then her boyfriend targeted videogame violence and the whole fucking industry ran from her as fast as they could. She dumped his ass for that one lol.

She doesn't have a clue how games operate nor does she even give a fuck. She was smart, saw it as a vulnerable community to exploit and came in at the perfect time. She, much like Zoe Quinn, is a con artist. While Zoe Quinn is trying to fulfill the 'manic pixie dreamgirl' fantasy (which is rapidly degrading as third stage sphyillis rots her brain and her looks are destroyed thanks to drugs and alcohol), Anita can keep it up because she appears to be the 'dignified intellectual', when she's just a grifter.

Quinn I think is just going to sustain herself through holding me-too accusations over everyone she's fucked head while she exploits her connections as she eventually runs out of options. Anita will continue to look for vulnerable spots to grift. She can hop around as much as she wants, but honestly her time in games is done. Everybody has 'diversity' garbage nowadays (except the West and Eastern Europe) so she can't really go anywhere. The last places just don't care about her. And if you don't give a fuck about her, she really has nothing to exploit, so she moves on.

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
did you seriously think they will their founding myth let to die? :story:
Gotta keep up that all the people against Sarkeesian were just spergs similar to Homer Beoulve. Gotta keep up the idea of gamergate really being some reactionary movement against women having any platform in vidya and not a bunch of neckbeards not liking how some shitty Twine game was given good reviews by a lady while game journalist all got together and say "gamers are dead."

It is honestly hard to say. I find it kind of pointless to even go through and criticize it, because it simply isn't made to be criticized. Its not made for a discussion. She didn't want to have one at all. Not once did she ever engage in public debate. Because the whole thing wasn't meant to operate that way. It would put the money at risk. And you never fuck around with the money. Her whole endeavor was to extract money from gaming companies and communities. She wasn't looking for detailed analysis. She considered every trope 'bad'. It was supposed to be inflammatory. She did as little work as she possibly could, sitting in front of what basically amounts to a green screen, having her then boyfriend write up the scripts while ripping video from YouTube and then reading them in a monotone, insincere voice lacking all charisma. It was the perfect grift. Of course, then her boyfriend targeted videogame violence and the whole fucking industry ran from her as fast as they could. She dumped his ass for that one lol.

She doesn't have a clue how games operate nor does she even give a fuck. She was smart, saw it as a vulnerable community to exploit and came in at the perfect time. She, much like Zoe Quinn, is a con artist. While Zoe Quinn is trying to fulfill the 'manic pixie dreamgirl' fantasy (which is rapidly degrading as third stage sphyillis rots her brain and her looks are destroyed thanks to drugs and alcohol), Anita can keep it up because she appears to be the 'dignified intellectual', when she's just a grifter.

Quinn I think is just going to sustain herself through holding me-too accusations over everyone she's fucked head while she exploits her connections as she eventually runs out of options. Anita will continue to look for vulnerable spots to grift. She can hop around as much as she wants, but honestly her time in games is done. Everybody has 'diversity' garbage nowadays (except the West and Eastern Europe) so she can't really go anywhere. The last places just don't care about her. And if you don't give a fuck about her, she really has nothing to exploit, so she moves on.
I will admit, the whole look at vidya in how the writing is and its use of tropes and the like can be interesting but I feel that would be taken by the hipster looking Youtubers and spergs that likely would just do a basic analysis and say it's all just so terrible, especially if they didn't note that one could take a trope like damsel in distress and make it work without being sexist or rewarding players with a woman and whatever else Tropes vs Women tried to do. For Anita herself, she may as well of been doing better than Quinn in not being in public eye as much. All she had to do was just make some kickstarter series and rake in all the raging gamer spergs that saw her as less of a grifter or a wannabe intellectual or the like and more of some evil Satan like figure (this is giving me some flashbacks of the old days when a halal member, Homer Beoulve, tried to get a thread on her and his only reasons was Tropes vs Women and Anita being a feminist which made him mad)

I will say, I can imagine she wouldn't get as much sympathy or clout if the spergs in gaming didn't REEEEE at her shit hard. Then again, they could of just been a small handful and you'll get their screechings amplified to make it look like all against her or those criticizing her must all be "manbaby chuds" and the like.