Fiber optic vs. Copper wire, which is better? -

Dreamland

Mural of coral and cold
kiwifarms.net
Then it doesn't matter, they'll just eavesdrop on you by serving a gag order to your ISP. Even if that were not the case it's easy for world's most overfunded intelligence bureau to splice a beamsplitter in a fiberoptic wire and catch everything you send and recieve, hell you do know that GPON works by splitting a single link into an entire neighborhood right?!
2020-06-25_20-13-25.png

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
Then it doesn't matter, they'll just eavesdrop on you by serving a gag order to your ISP. Even if that were not the case it's easy for world's most overfunded intelligence bureau to splice a beamsplitter in a fiberoptic wire and catch everything you send and recieve, hell you do know that GPON works by splitting a single link into an entire neighborhood right?!
View attachment 1405747
If it were copper wire they would have to tap it manually. With fiber optic it's already tapped. Although I could be wrong.

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
kiwifarms.net
If it were copper wire they would have to tap it manually. With fiber optic it's already tapped. Although I could be wrong.
lmao that's not how any of this works. there are so many better targets for putting in government spyware, only a non-tech who thinks of the computer as the magic box would think they'd go after the cabling.

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
lmao that's not how any of this works. there are so many better targets for putting in government spyware, only a non-tech who thinks of the computer as the magic box would think they'd go after the cabling.
But that's not the only security measure I'm considering there's many other things to take into account. I never said that by simply using copper wire you're automatically safe online. For example, why is AT&T and so many other phone companies trying to push fiber optics over copper when for years, copper has been the golden standard of carrying telephone lines? Again, this question is simply a matter of which is better in terms of security.

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
kiwifarms.net
But that's not the only security measure I'm considering there's many other things to take into account. I never said that by simply using copper wire you're automatically safe online. For example, why is AT&T and so many other phone companies trying to push fiber optics over copper when for years, copper has been the golden standard of carrying telephone lines? Again, this question is simply a matter of which is better in terms of security.
Because the call quality over those copper lines sounds like a distorted tin can compared to ones over fiber, in part because the data is now moving at the speed of light instead of an electrical impulse along an insulated wire.
Also the government subsidizes companies laying fiber infrastructure and there's nothing telcos like more than handouts.

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
Also the government subsidizes companies laying fiber infrastructure and there's nothing telcos like more than handouts.
That's what I'm talking about. Even though copper wire sucks in terms of speed, it still sounds better in terms of that than the other. But that's just my opinion. Also, the fiber-optic networks have become a rich source of data for intelligence agencies. The Guardian newspaper reported in 2013 that the Government Communications Headquarters, the British equivalent of the NSA, taps and stores data flowing through the fiber-optic cables touching that nation, a major transit point for data between Europe and the Americas. That program, code-named Tempora, shares data with the NSA. Now whether copper is more secure is up for debate, I don't know that that's why I'm asking.

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
I already know that, this was in regards to the NSA and government surveillance in general, not just the feds manually tapping your lines.

EDIT: Further, if the feds really wanted your info, they could get it regardless. Like I said, this has to do with the NSA not the FBI.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I already know that, this was in regards to the NSA and government surveillance in general, not just the feds manually tapping your lines.
If you knew that, you wouldn't be asking the wrong questions. Your datastream on anything larger than an airgapped lan can be pulled at any time and you should behave as such. If you're doing something bad enough for intelligence agencies to want you trustworthy cryptography and good opsec is your only hope. The fact that you're posting on a clearnet forum that requires javascript shows you have neither.

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
If you knew that, you wouldn't be asking the wrong questions. Your datastream on anything larger than an airgapped lan can be pulled at any time and you should behave as such. If you're doing something bad enough for intelligence agencies to want you trustworthy cryptography and good opsec is your only hope. The fact that you're posting on a clearnet forum that requires javascript shows you have neither.
But again, this has nothing to do with the FBI, just NSA surveillance. I should've clarified this earlier, but now you know.

Tags
None