Fiction writing motivation thread - A thread for anyone who's working on a project can talk about what thoughts motivate and inspire them to start writing, pick up old projects, or keep going on current projects

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
I have trouble motivating myself to write because I sometimes feel like there's no point, even when I have good ideas and enjoy the process. What will usually get me going again is the thought of the existence of all of the excellent fiction I've read and how it's changed me for the better, and my admiration for the authors for following through on their ideas. I even respect authors that I think are horrible writers for being able to finish something that requires such close attention and focus. I think it's a really meaningful achievement for anyone, and I actually wish everyone in the entire world would write a fictional novel, I think it would be really interesting and cool.

Deer Warts

nailed to the pillar of historical shame
kiwifarms.net
Struggling novelist here, too. 6 to 8 a.m. is my writing time. But it's raining, and the dog is really really warm, and it looks like another time slot is going down the drain. It's like this thread is a message just for me.

The idea of being able to add to a great body of art is a seductive one. I tend to focus more for inspiration on artists who are working right now: the ones who got up at 5 and work straight through until 8, who went into a room and shut the door, who will have something to show for their work at the end of the day. There is a wonderful but sadly defunct podcast on YouTube called Chasing Creativity which has profiled a number of musicians I really admire, and listening to them talk about their own process and their struggles with it has been powerfully motivating for me.

I love the concept of having respect for authors even if you don't love their work. Earlier this week, I was in a used bookstore looking at an entire wall consisting solely of books by Danielle Steele. I guess in some way you have to admire the woman.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I have people leaving me angry voice messages everyday i dont finish my DnD adventure for the session.
I dont care because i have always a filler with a nice hook for the main story at hand.

OfficerBagget

Supreme Jerkop
kiwifarms.net
For me it's the opposite. I write because I want to provide a voice for me. Fuck writers of the past I want to be something new. I used to always compare my work to others which I soon realized is not fair to myself. I dont want to be the new of something old I want to try and be the new voice, my own voice.

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
I agree it can be hard to find motivation. The only thing that motivates me is making a story I want to see. If you write for you and not for the expectations of others it’s easier to work on a project I’ve found.
I've written short stories before, but they were always FOR someone, not for their expectations but to make a friend laugh or just make something cool for friends. I'm not close to those people anymore, so that's why I'm having trouble writing just for myself. I think what you said is really important and good advice and maybe it will be easier to write when I think about that being worth it on its own.

Lime Rogue

Zesty Villain
kiwifarms.net
My scriptwriting prof thinks inspiration is a jewish conspiracy and that you should always be writing anything, even if it's silly shit. That's about the only tip I have, and it's not even mine. Even as an amateur I know writing is daunting, so I really respect people who actually put their thoughts into words.

:semperfidelis:

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
My scriptwriting prof thinks inspiration is a jewish conspiracy and that you should always be writing anything, even if it's silly shit. That's about the only tip I have, and it's not even mine. Even as an amateur I know writing is daunting, so I really respect people who actually put their thoughts into words.

:semperfidelis:
I agree it's not necessary to develop a habit but it's definitely not a J conspiracy and lack of motivation is made all the harder by not having anyone worth writing for

Prophetic Spirit

Dumb of Dojima at its finest
kiwifarms.net
Motivation isn't too crucial if you write fiction.
You must need a plot in mind before the writing phase, or a least that's the way i work.
Sadly now i can't figure it out how the plot moves... but at least i reached the average word counter (more than 120k words and half-finished).
And i understand, writing requieres effort and you will never master that skill, but if you're humble & polite with everybody, the gate will be opened to you & reach higher levels.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Foghot

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
Motivation isn't too crucial if you write fiction.
You must need a plot in mind before the writing phase, or a least that's the way i work.
Sadly now i can't figure it out how the plot moves... but at least i reached the average word counter (more than 120k words and half-finished).
And i understand, writing requieres effort and you will never master that skill, but if you're humble & polite with everybody, the gate will be opened to you & reach higher levels.
Thanks, it's good advice.

FitBitch

A housewife!
kiwifarms.net
I got inspired by an image a friend shared on discord one day and a fantasy setting blossomed from it.
Then Covid happened and I didn't hear from him for five months and at some point had to assume he was dead and that motivated me for a long time. I wanted to write it because he had given me the inspiration and was the person I sent passages to to critique.

Now the plot has spiraled out of control and it turns out he just lost access to his discord and couldn't get it back because his previous account had been banned. I've never been so relieved I cried when he got in touch and now I have an assload of first drafts to assemble into a coherent story and edit.

I guess this isn't good advice for anyone else but I wrote like I was honoring a dead man.

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
I got inspired by an image a friend shared on discord one day and a fantasy setting blossomed from it.
Then Covid happened and I didn't hear from him for five months and at some point had to assume he was dead and that motivated me for a long time. I wanted to write it because he had given me the inspiration and was the person I sent passages to to critique.

Now the plot has spiraled out of control and it turns out he just lost access to his discord and couldn't get it back because his previous account had been banned. I've never been so relieved I cried when he got in touch and now I have an assload of first drafts to assemble into a coherent story and edit.

I guess this isn't good advice for anyone else but I wrote like I was honoring a dead man.
He'd probably be happy so much came from the image and him as inspiration. Have fun with the writing and assembling of ideas, that's the best part in my opinion even though it can be the hardest.

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
My best writing came at my worst, lowest moments. Sometimes I feel like I want to write only when life has very seriously gotten me down and I'd rather be anywhere but in my chair, in this place, on this planet. Sometimes it feels like a really nasty deal with the devil. I finished a novel length book recently and I barely even feel like editing it; its like writing the book felt more important than the idea of actually doing anything with it. I completely sympathize with the op.

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
My best writing came at my worst, lowest moments. Sometimes I feel like I want to write only when life has very seriously gotten me down and I'd rather be anywhere but in my chair, in this place, on this planet. Sometimes it feels like a really nasty deal with the devil. I finished a novel length book recently and I barely even feel like editing it; its like writing the book felt more important than the idea of actually doing anything with it. I completely sympathize with the op.
That's a huge achievement, if you ever edit it will be easy in comparison. I feel similarly about what you described.

• Feels
Reactions: L50LasPak
Tags
None