World Fiery protests erupt as Bolivia says Morales near outright win - Chaos everywhere / November 10: Morales is finished

FemalePresident

In office.
kiwifarms.net
Fiery protests erupt as Bolivia says Morales near outright win
Crowds burned offices of the electoral body in two cities as move to halt release of vote count results sparks anger.

Bolivia's electoral authority President Evo Morales was close to avoiding a runoff in his re-election bid, touching off protests by the leader's opponents already upset by a sudden halt in the release of the vote count.

Crowds burned the offices of the electoral body in the southern cities of Sucre and Potosi, and protesters set fire to ballots from Sunday's election in Tarija.

Groups of Morales' supporters and opponents also clashed in a number of places, including the administrative capital of La Paz.

The president's opponents suggested that officials were trying to help Morales avoid a runoff fight, in which he could lose to a unified opposition, while an observer mission from the Organization of American States (OAS) expressed concerns about the development.

A US State Department accused Bolivian authorities of trying to subvert the vote.

Morales topped the eight other candidates in Sunday's presidential election, but the last released results before Monday night showed him falling a few points short of the percentage needed to avoid the first runoff in his nearly 14 years in power.

Still, he claimed an outright victory late on Sunday, saying the uncounted votes would be enough to give him a fourth term. He told supporters at the presidential palace that "the people again imposed their will."

On Sunday night, Bolivia's top electoral authority stopped announcing new results - a point at which Morales had a lead of 45.3 percent to 38.2 percent over his closest rival, former President Carlos Mesa.

On Monday night, the agency renewed its "quick" count and said that with 95 percent of votes counted, Morales had 46.41 percent to Mesa's 37.07 percent.

In La Paz, Al Jazeera's John Holman said such a long gap was "unusual" and that results usually trickled in steadily.

"A lot of questions are being asked about why the count was frozen and why, when it opened up again, Morales had enough of a lead to make him a winner in this round," Holman said.

Mesa warned earlier that there could be "manipulation of the vote to impede a second round" of voting that could imperil Morales' 14-year hold on power.

Under Bolivian law, Morales needs a 10-percentage point advantage over Mesa to avoid a second-round election in December. The official count is not due for seven days.

Risk of unrest
After the release of results was stopped, a special electoral mission from the OAS said it was closely monitoring the election and urged the Supreme Electoral Tribunal to renew the release of results.

Mesa called on citizens and civic groups "to conduct a battle in defence of the vote".

"They can't take away democracy from us," he told his supporters in Santa Cruz, a stronghold of opposition to Morales.

The interior minister, Carlos Romero, accused the opposition of trying to create trouble, warning that "they have to take care of the violence they're generating."

Morales, 59, an Aymara from Bolivia's highlands, came to prominence leading social protests and became the country's first indigenous president in 2006. Since then, he has coasted to two re-election victories and presided over more than a decade of growth in South America's poorest country.

Following a boom in commodities prices, Morales paved roads, sent Bolivia's first satellite to space and curbed inflation. Stadiums, markets, schools, state enterprises and even a village bear his name.

Being forced into a runoff would be a blow to Morales, "whose political success has been impressive and who seemed confident of a first-round win", said Michael Shifter, head of the Inter-American Dialogue, a Washington-based think-tank, noting concerns about the slowing economy, corruption scandals and Morales push for a fourth term in defiance of both a national referendum and the Bolivian constitution.

"Many Bolivians are simply weary," Shifter said. "If re-elected, Evo will be in office nearly two decades."

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/10/fiery-protest-erupts-bolivia-morales-outright-win-191022040251327.html

What happened on Sunday night was highly suspicious. They stopped counting votes and by Monday morning Morales was winning by 10 points. lol wtf

This is after Morales lost a referendum back in 2016 to allow himself to run for president a fourth time. However, he ignored the results and here we are.

Last edited:

Clop

kiwifarms.net
On Sunday night, Bolivia's top electoral authority stopped announcing new results - a point at which Morales had a lead of 45.3 percent to 38.2 percent over his closest rival, former President Carlos Mesa.
Okay I'm confused. What "former president?" Was Mesa the president before Morales? Before the fourteen goddamned years?

Do people in Bolivia run for office in their teens or something? These are impressive years after watching people in Western politics have heart attacks and strokes in the middle of their campaigns.

FemalePresident

In office.
kiwifarms.net
Okay I'm confused. What "former president?" Was Mesa the president before Morales? Before the fourteen goddamned years?

Do people in Bolivia run for office in their teens or something? These are impressive years after watching people in Western politics have heart attacks and strokes in the middle of their campaigns.
Mesa was vicepresident of Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada from 2002 to 2003; then Sanchez de Lozada resigned and Mesa succedeed him from 2003 to 2005 when he had to resign in the midst of protests and clashes promoted by Morales.

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net
Hmm..... shithole sub-spic dictatorship facing major internal strife and division....gee I wonder if they have any outstanding territorial claims to distract everyone with?

*googles bolivia foreign disputes*

Oooh, looks like Chile is going to have fun times ahead once their own protests die down
I got the feeling then if Bolivia go to war once again for border dispute. They'll lost again.

• Agree
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I got the feeling then if Bolivia go to war once again for border dispute. They'll lost again.
Nah they wont go to war, they will just do what Argentina did under Kirchner regarding the Falklands and loudly bitch about it in front of every available camera and saber rattle obnoxiously in order to make the proles think they are sthuper-duper-totally gonna get it this time.

• Agree
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

La Luz Extinguido

There are no innocents
kiwifarms.net

Mesa was in office from August 6, 2002 – October 17, 2003 as sort of a temporal replacement from their previous right wing dictator Mr Goni, he was in his early 50s back then.

This current protests erupted because the fraud was a little too blatant and shameless this time, unlike Venezuelan cucks Bolivians are a little more violent and bloodthirsty so this is going to be fun to watch.

FemalePresident

In office.
kiwifarms.net
Bolivia: President declares state of emergency October 23 /update 6
State of emergency declared amid indefinite nationwide civic strike and protests on October 23; avoid all gatherings

Event
On Wednesday, October 23, President Evo Morales declared a state of emergency, stating that the opposition group's international backing is an attack on his presidency.

Further, civil groups have called for the start of an indefinite civic strike across Bolivia on Wednesday, following election irregularities and a wave of protests against the president. The public is protesting an ongoing election dispute in which President Evo Morales, who ran for a fourth term on Sunday, October 20, has claimed himself the winner. Irregularities were reported, particularly when the Supreme Electoral Tribunal reported an incomplete electoral count on Monday, October 21. Protests have been ongoing in La Paz since. The public has called for a vote recount and have threatened to not recognize Morales as the president.

In addition to the civic strike, pro-government protests are planned on the same date, which raises the likelihood of clashes, both among protesters and between protesters and police.

Protest locations may be city-wide, though some have been reported near the Supreme Electoral Tribunal's headquarters. Protests are also ongoing in Santa Cruz, an area that produces 70 percent of the country's food supply. Due to this, there are concerns that protests will present an economic shock to the country if they continue.

Significant transportation and business disruptions were reported in La Paz as residents, anticipating a protracted political crisis and associated unrest, lined up at markets and gas stations to stockpile basic necessities.

A heightened security presence is to be expected in the coming hours and days across La Paz and other major urban areas. Further protests are possible - particularly in and around the capital. Clashes between security forces and protesters cannot be ruled out.

Context
The TSE halted its provisionary vote count on Sunday, October 20, after 83 percent of the ballot was completed. Initial results indicated that President Evo Morales was short of securing the 10-percentage point lead needed to prevent a runoff election. However, on Monday, October 21, the TSE updated the count, indicating that President Evo Morales secured 46.85 percent of the vote against his primary rival Carlos Mesa, who received 36.73 percent, preventing a runoff. Political opposition supporters are accusing the TSE of manipulating the vote in favor of Morales.

Advice
Individuals in Bolivia are advised to monitor developments to the situation, avoid any protests and demonstrations as a precaution, and adhere to all instructions issued by the local authorities.

Source: https://www.garda.com/fr/crisis24/alertes-de-securite/279851/bolivia-president-declares-state-of-emergency-october-23-update-6
Things are about to get intense over there. Let's see what happens.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
I told you we need a South/Latin America is Burning Megathread.

Argentina is next.

I'm gonna explain this mess.

Evo was never meant to run as a candidate again. Their laws and constitution forbid a president to be this much in charge. But because he's a populist, Bolivians had a referendum where he asked if they would be ok with him running again ("because I'm gonna do w hat the people want, fuck the constitution!") and he lost. His beloved people said that the constitution had to be respected.

So he Brexited.

He ran again against this guy who is a leftist, but he's part of a politically diverse collision to get rid of this fucker for good. People voted him because 1. they got tired of Evo's antics and 2. because the guy isn't that bad.

A lot of news outlets are omitting this particularly pesky detail, I wonder why...

So, that's pretty much why they are mad, not only because the other guy, Meza, lost. He was winning at first, then he mysteriously started losing. Bolivians realised they were being lied once more and rioted and burned down some electoral headquarters.

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
inb4 he blames us chileans over whatever
Not everything is about you.

Our goverment is extremely fake and nobody outside of literal human herd they have from rural areas supports it, since the state is a smokescreen for a millionare drug trafficking scheme they've been using for over a decade to support the economy and falsley keep our currency from inflation.

This means that they cannot allow something little like democracy or the people's voice to get in the way of their affairs so they will light the dumpster fire for as long as possible until everyone forgets the eleccion was fraudulent and illegitimate.

I would be mad if it wasn't for the fact that the opposition is also shit and the country is doomed from the get go, just like Venezuela was in the 90s, I'm just sad tomorrow people will literally kill each other on the streets of my city after the president brings a big chunck of his drug trafficking herd to attemp to intimidate the (very angry) citizens.

A shitty ass clover

Because why the fuck not?
kiwifarms.net
since the state is a smokescreen for a millionare drug trafficking scheme they've been using for over a decade to support the economy and falsley keep our currency from inflation.

This means that they cannot allow something little like democracy or the people's voice to get in the way of their affairs so they will light the dumpster fire for as long as possible until everyone forgets the eleccion was fraudulent and illegitimate.
I mean, aren't you guys all about coca plantations? i know it works on high altitude locations and prevents hypoxia to those unaccustomed to those heights. but is there something else it can be used besides that and, you know... cocaine? legit question since i was just taking the piss previously and ii have legit curiosity about it.

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
I mean, aren't you guys all about coca plantations? i know it works on high altitude locations and prevents hypoxia to those unaccustomed to those heights. but is there something else it can be used besides that and, you know... cocaine? legit question since i was just taking the piss previously and ii have legit curiosity about it.
Where do you think the millionare drug trafficking scheme comes from?

• DRINK!
Reactions: Recoil

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net
The "best" thing that could happen to lefties around here is for Macri to get reelected. If that happens next sunday, then yea... we may or may not be next.
I hope so because Argentina would be in a deeper shit if that wicked bitch Cristina Fernández de Kirchner return. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/24/christina-de-fernandez-kirchner-argentina-marci ( http://archive.fo/5voOP )
When she left office in 2015, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner was vilified by her opponents as a corrupt populist who had bankrupted Argentina during her two-term presidency.

She was painted as a sore loser, who even refused to participate in the ceremony in which tradition demanded she present her successor Mauricio Macri with the presidential baton and sash.
“I was Cristina, the arrogant ‘bitch’, the authoritarian populist,” wrote the former president – commonly referred to as Cristina Kirchner in Argentina – in a memoir earlier this year.
Meanwhile, she was entangled in a string of court cases involving accusations of bribery, money laundering, corruption and allegations that she had helped cover up Iran’s involvement in a terrorist bombing that prosecutor was investigating.
But in what could be one of the most incredible comebacks in Argentina’s political history, Fernández de Kirchner seems to be on the brink of returning to office as vice-president – and potentially the real power behind the throne.
Polls before Sunday’s election predict that the former president and her running mate, Alberto Fernández (no relation), could win by as much as 19 percentage points.

IAmNotAlpharius

For the Emperor?!
kiwifarms.net
Hmm..... shithole sub-spic dictatorship facing major internal strife and division....gee I wonder if they have any outstanding territorial claims to distract everyone with?

*googles bolivia foreign disputes*

Oooh, looks like Chile is going to have fun times ahead once their own protests die down
Bolivia would lose again.... wether it’s Chile, Peru, or even Paraguay.

I hope so because Argentina would be in a deeper shit if that wicked bitch Cristina Fernández de Kirchner return. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/24/christina-de-fernandez-kirchner-argentina-marci ( http://archive.fo/5voOP )
I wouldn’t be surprise if he committed suicide or suffered an accident after winning the presidency.

• Feels
Reactions: Super-Chevy454
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino