Fighting Games General -

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
So I didn't see a thread for this, and I'm pretty curious about it so:

Who here plays competitive fighting games besides Smash Bros.? I myself am now a regular Street Fighter player (Ultra Street Fighter IV & Arcade Edition) and have recently begun a foray into the Tekken series since both companies have worked on a crossover for one another. I also previously played Guilty Gear from #Reload to Accent Core Plus and BlazBlue up to Continuum Shift, Soul Caliburs II & V, Dead or Alive 3, Mortal Kombat and Injustice. I would say my knowledge of fighting games in general is pretty poor, but I'm making an effort to at least get good in the ones I'm starting up.

So feel free to post what fighting games you've played and the mains you have had on each of them. I myself am somewhat of a default-character player and thus played with Sol Badguy in Guilty Gear and Ragna in BlazBlue. The one exception to the rule has been Akuma for Street Fighter, as I enjoy the extra utility he has over Ryu despite the lower stamina.

ASoulMan

It's time for assembly...FROM HELL!!!
kiwifarms.net
I remember having Mortal Kombat 4 until my brothers broke it while rough housing in the basement. I also remember playing Armageddon like crazy with my brothers and family. We actually held a family tournament for it lol

Other than that, I don't play much fighting games. They're fun to watch though. It surprised me that there wasn't already a thread for fighting games in general.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I remember having Mortal Kombat 4 until my brothers broke it while rough housing in the basement. I also remember playing Armageddon like crazy with my brothers and family. We actually held a family tournament for it lol

Other than that, I don't play much fighting games. They're fun to watch though. It surprised me that there wasn't already a thread for fighting games in general.
I know, eh? With some of the threads that have been around, I would have thought there would at least be one of Guilty Gear if not Street Fighter. I find fighting game tournaments a shitload more exciting to watch than MOBA or FPS; feels like there's more technical prowess to a fighting game with 1-frame links and fast reaction times than with an aim-assisted shooter.

Never played MK4 or Armageddon. I was very interested, but having no job and parents that had been jaded with video games following the SNES cash-in at the time made it implausible to grab MK4. The latter wasn't readily available on the XBox, so I never picked it up and before you know it, MK9 comes out.

The only fighting game I usually play besides Smash is Skullgirls.

My mains on there are Big Band and Peacock.
Haven't tried it. What would you say the fighting style is like? Is it a combination of projectiles and close-combat or just the latter?

• Agree
Reactions: ASoulMan

Overcast

King of :'(
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know, eh? With some of the threads that have been around, I would have thought there would at least be one of Guilty Gear if not Street Fighter. I find fighting game tournaments a shitload more exciting to watch than MOBA or FPS; feels like there's more technical prowess to a fighting game with 1-frame links and fast reaction times than with an aim-assisted shooter.

Never played MK4 or Armageddon. I was very interested, but having no job and parents that had been jaded with video games following the SNES cash-in at the time made it implausible to grab MK4. The latter wasn't readily available on the XBox, so I never picked it up and before you know it, MK9 comes out.

Haven't tried it. What would you say the fighting style is like? Is it a combination of projectiles and close-combat or just the latter?
Do you mean the game itself or the characters I mentioned specifically?

In terms of the game, it's a traditional 2D fighting game with an emphasis on combos. most of the characters are good at close range, others (like Peacock) are good at zoning.

They all play differently to an extent, and some even have a unique gimmick. Big Band powers up his supers with a taunt, Ms. Fortune can take off her head and it can be separately controlled with certain buttons, ect.

As for the characters I chose, well, yeah, it is a combination of close combat and projectiles. I usually start matches with Big Band with Peacock at reserve as the latter I'm not too good with at close range.

I also just like how they're almost complete opposites. Peacock is (at this point) the smallest character in the game, while Big Band is (unsurprisingly) the biggest.

Dio Brando

Saikou ni HIGH te Yattsu da!!!
kiwifarms.net
Besides Smash, I play a lot of fighting games

I love Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, my main is Yu Narukami

In the Mortal Kombat games, my favorite character had always been Sub-Zero, but in MK9 my favorite character to use is Kung Lao. Trust me when I say I LOVE the Mortal Kombat series and have played every single one for hours at a time (even the spin-offs)

In Injustice, I love to use the Joker

In any Street Fighter game (mostly SF3), my mains are Chun-Li and Ken

In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I love to use Avdol while in All Star Battle it's DIO

In the Soul Calibur games, my best character tends to be Kilik (you know, before SCV fucked everything up). Besides him, I also like to use Raphael or Nightmare

In Tekken, my favorites have always been Kazuya, Heihachi, and King

Despite my love for fighting games, playing online likes to remind how much I actually suck at them

• Feels
Reactions: I Love Beef

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Besides Smash, I play a lot of fighting games
In the Mortal Kombat games, my favorite character had always been Sub-Zero, but in MK9 my favorite character to use is Kung Lao. Trust me when I say I LOVE the Mortal Kombat series and have played every single one for hours at a time (even the spin-offs)
Ha! My favourite is Scorpion, so opposite ends of the spectrum there. I know Scorpion isn't really tournament-worthy in the new one, but I learned the basics of him just because. I've dropped the game for a while now, but I would probably pick up Reptile or Kabal if I tried it again.

In Injustice, I love to use the Joker
I haven't played Injustice as much as I could, probably because I haven't been exposed to much competition on it. I played a little Batman, but I'd probably try out Nightwing because I like the look of his style.

In any Street Fighter game (mostly SF3), my mains are Chun-Li and Ken
Ken seems to be the vast majority of opponents I've been facing lately :P Besides Flowchart Kens, a lot seem to really like him. That or Ibuki.

In the Soul Calibur games, my best character tends to be Kilik (you know, before SCV fucked everything up). Besides him, I also like to use Raphael or Nightmare
Agreed on the screwing up on things. Their long and entertaining Campaign Mode went down the toilet after 3 imo, and they replaced many of the characters I enjoyed for no good reason (Yunsung, Talim, Cassandra, etc.). I really liked Spawn in Soul Calibur II (XBox only), but in his absence I've stuck mainly to Siegfried since he was essentially SC2 Nightmare. Whilst the custom fighter stuff is nice, it was no good excuse for having a lame story.

In Tekken, my favorites have always been Kazuya, Heihachi, and King
Got any advice for a newbie on picking up the fundamentals for that game? I don't inflict close to the amount of damage online opponents deal to me. I've jumped between Jin, Kazuya and Law currently.

Dio Brando

kiwifarms.net
Got any advice for a newbie on picking up the fundamentals for that game? I don't inflict close to the amount of damage online opponents deal to me. I've jumped between Jin, Kazuya and Law currently.
I'm probably not the best guy for this, but I can tell you what I know

First, if you're a newbie, great beginner characters to use are Kazuya, Lee Chaolan, or Paul Phoenix. They all have all-around, quick/pinch, and heavy/grapple style move sets respectively so if you wanna focus on a certain style I would recommend to start with these guys (Law is also a good character to use. I can't really say too much about Jin since I'm not a big fan of him, I always preferred using Kazuya over him). I myself prefer offensive characters that have strong single hits, which Heihachi is perfect for. Besides him, there's also Dragunov and Miguel. Also, avoid using button mashy characters online like Eddy Gordo, you're just asking to get your ass kicked.

Also, try to learn to get sidestepping, blocking, and dashing down before you focusing on improving combos and juggling. Not only to they help defensively, but they are huge helps when pulling off combos.

That's about as much as I can tell you. Compared to other fighting games, I think I'm a decent player online in Tekken, but I'm still not well-versed in the different terms used for gameplay. Also which Tekken games are you playing? The stuff I've mentioned can apply to the whole series, but I'm mainly referring to 5,6, and Tag 2.

Reactions: 1 person

Coster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really like anime-based fighting games, because they can be pretty good if you get used to them.

The Dragon Ball fighting games can be really good, depending on what game. The highlights imo are Budokai 3, Infinite World, Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Burst Limit, Raging Blast 2, and the upcoming Dragon Ball Xenoverse. I'm really fucking hyped for the 3v3 fights in Xenoverse, along with the character creation system.

As for Naruto games, they're really... really niche. Like, niche of a niche. You have to be willing to put up with the fact that combat is mostly one button. Storm 2 was good but had issues, Storm Generations was pretty much perfect in every way, Storm 3 is slightly worse than Generations but still enjoyable, and Storm Revolution introduced some interesting concepts but doesn't stand up to Generations. The downside to these games is that literally every character is unbalanced or broken in some way, whether it be their Awakening (like a powered-up state), their Jutsu/special attack, their Ultimate Jutsu, or even if they're a ranged character. Also, Naruto and Sasuke have like 6 separate slots for each of them, which is a common complaint.

I fucking love Soul Calibur with all my heart, and conversely I despise Soul Calibur V as well as Lost Swords. V's story was abysmal, the offline modes suck, and the roster is just so neutered that it kills it. No Yun-Seoung, which is a huge minus for me because I love using him. Soul Calibur III is my favorite just because of how expansive not only the story mode was, but because the custom characters had movesets and weapons only they could use and the Chronicles of the Lost Sword was one of my favorite things ever. Also, Forsaken Sanctuary is pretty much the second best OST in the series, behind Edge of Soul from Soul Blade.

I played Super Street Fighter IV: AE back home for a long while before I moved, and I got pretty good with Cody. CRIMINA LUPPER! BINGO!

Injustice? Lobo! "They don't call me the main man for nothin'!"

galact0r

Master of the Dark Arts
kiwifarms.net
I play Skullgirls and SF IV. Haven't played either in a while though, I should dust off my fightstick and get some more practice in.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I'm probably not the best guy for this, but I can tell you what I know

First, if you're a newbie, great beginner characters to use are Kazuya, Lee Chaolan, or Paul Phoenix. They all have all-around, quick/pinch, and heavy/grapple style move sets respectively so if you wanna focus on a certain style I would recommend to start with these guys (Law is also a good character to use. I can't really say too much about Jin since I'm not a big fan of him, I always preferred using Kazuya over him). I myself prefer offensive characters that have strong single hits, which Heihachi is perfect for. Besides him, there's also Dragunov and Miguel. Also, avoid using button mashy characters online like Eddy Gordo, you're just asking to get your ass kicked.

Also, try to learn to get sidestepping, blocking, and dashing down before you focusing on improving combos and juggling. Not only to they help defensively, but they are huge helps when pulling off combos.

That's about as much as I can tell you. Compared to other fighting games, I think I'm a decent player online in Tekken, but I'm still not well-versed in the different terms used for gameplay. Also which Tekken games are you playing? The stuff I've mentioned can apply to the whole series, but I'm mainly referring to 5,6, and Tag 2.
Thank you for the advice - I'll probably stick to Kazuya and try the other characters out once I've memorised more of his stuff. I'm playing Tekken 6 currently, in preparation for Tekken 7 and to understand the characters a little better for SF x Tekken. Say what you will about the game itself, but that original trailer for it piqued my interest in finding out about Namco's other main fighter, mainly Kazuya:

Considering that it's been 2 years since its release and has fallen out of tournament circulation, I feel safer that Capcom isn't going to pull a fast one on me and release a Hyper Combo EX Turbo Edition in a month.

The Dragon Ball fighting games can be really good, depending on what game. The highlights imo are Budokai 3, Infinite World, Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Burst Limit, Raging Blast 2, and the upcoming Dragon Ball Xenoverse. I'm really fucking hyped for the 3v3 fights in Xenoverse, along with the character creation system.
I forgot about DB. I've played Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and really liked it. There was a fair amount of complexity to it, and an exhaustingly high roster of characters. Since the later games seemed to pale in comparison with that, I haven't played them,hough I'm looking forward to Xenoverse and might give it a shot. I usually played original-DBZ Goku (the one with Kaio Ken), but I generally liked any iteration of his character. Also liked Gohan and Vegeta styles.

As for Naruto games, they're really... really niche. Like, niche of a niche. You have to be willing to put up with the fact that combat is mostly one button. Storm 2 was good but had issues, Storm Generations was pretty much perfect in every way, Storm 3 is slightly worse than Generations but still enjoyable, and Storm Revolution introduced some interesting concepts but doesn't stand up to Generations. The downside to these games is that literally every character is unbalanced or broken in some way, whether it be their Awakening (like a powered-up state), their Jutsu/special attack, their Ultimate Jutsu, or even if they're a ranged character. Also, Naruto and Sasuke have like 6 separate slots for each of them, which is a common complaint.
Now that the manga has ended, if they make a fully comprehensive iteration of the game with the whole lot, I might pick it up. It doesn't seem to be my kind of combat, but I'll take a look.

I fucking love Soul Calibur with all my heart, and conversely I despise Soul Calibur V as well as Lost Swords. V's story was abysmal, the offline modes suck, and the roster is just so neutered that it kills it. No Yun-Seoung, which is a huge minus for me because I love using him. Soul Calibur III is my favorite just because of how expansive not only the story mode was, but because the custom characters had movesets and weapons only they could use and the Chronicles of the Lost Sword was one of my favorite things ever. Also, Forsaken Sanctuary is pretty much the second best OST in the series, behind Edge of Soul from Soul Blade.
They really seemed to neuter everything in the latest two games as well. As I recall pedantically unlocking everything in SC2, there were just so many costumes and weapons to unlock for every character, an Arcade story ending for each character (WTF happened to that?), an exhibition mode where you could read the character's bio, hear their voice data, have an Exhibition clip for each character, and the story had all these wacky and crazy variables to fights that made playing it hilarious at times (Icy arenas, invisible characters and weapons, etc.). By cashing in on SC interest, they just seem to have stripped it dry of all the things that showed the dedication and passion they put into it.

I played Super Street Fighter IV: AE back home for a long while before I moved, and I got pretty good with Cody. CRIMINA LUPPER! BINGO!
Went through the whole C-rank-for-everyone-online shebang, and I couldn't do well with Cody for some reason. I can't get how - he has awesome normals, good combos, good Ultra cancels. He's a character I want to try and get good at at one point or another, and he's pretty fun overall.

I play Skullgirls and SF IV. Haven't played either in a while though, I should dust off my fightstick and get some more practice in.
Started playing Street Fighter IV with a controller, then I bought a fightstick and now I can't go back. The controller's D-pad is just so uncomfortable and leads to me inputting a jump where I just wanted a quarter circle, or some other absurd mistake. Feels a lot more precise in execution too, and I say this as a person who rarely played at the video arcade, if ever on a fighting game. Stick might be expensive, but it was definitely not a purchase I regretted.

Last edited:

Coster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Now that the manga has ended, if they make a fully comprehensive iteration of the game with the whole lot, I might pick it up. It doesn't seem to be my kind of combat, but I'll take a look.
The sad part is the games probably won't hit the end of the manga until the anime does. The game's story never supersedes the anime's, so that's kind of annoying.

As for the combat, yeah, it's mostly one-button (here's my favorite combo on Xbox - BBBBBBB) but it's a lot of knowing your character well, especially considering most jutsu and ultimate jutsu are really variant as well as what their combos do. Mecha Naruto in Storm Revolution, for example, will dash forward with his Rasengan, but has a chance to completely turn on a dime in the middle of his full dash if the enemy moves, something only he can do.

They really seemed to neuter everything in the latest two games as well. As I recall pedantically unlocking everything in SC2, there were just so many costumes and weapons to unlock for every character, an Arcade story ending for each character (WTF happened to that?), an exhibition mode where you could read the character's bio, hear their voice data, have an Exhibition clip for each character, and the story had all these wacky and crazy variables to fights that made playing it hilarious at times (Icy arenas, invisible characters and weapons, etc.). By cashing in on SC interest, they just seem to have stripped it dry of all the things that showed the dedication and passion they put into it.
SCII was amazing, especially Weapon Master. Finally unlocking everyone's weapons was amazing, and it really bothered the shit out of me when weapons were purely cosmetic in SCV. That pretty much rips out one of the things that made the series unique. As for costumes, I loved all the alternate costumes in SC2, the Siegfried one for Nightmare being my favorite. Now it's basically "here's your two costumes, if you want more go make them with shitty prefab parts."

Remember that Egyptian tomb stage where the floor was made of ice and it was really easy to fall off of?

Went through the whole C-rank-for-everyone-online shebang, and I couldn't do well with Cody for some reason. I can't get how - he has awesome normals, good combos, good Ultra cancels. He's a character I want to try and get good at at one point or another, and he's pretty fun overall.
I love Cody from a character point-of-view, namely in the fact that he's canonically the strongest character in Street Fighter. He just doesn't give a fuck, which is why he leaves the handcuffs on, because he's too strong and it keeps fights interesting. Also it helps that his supers are easy and he's a fast-but-heavy hitter for the most part.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
The sad part is the games probably won't hit the end of the manga until the anime does. The game's story never supersedes the anime's, so that's kind of annoying.

SCII was amazing, especially Weapon Master. Finally unlocking everyone's weapons was amazing, and it really bothered the shit out of me when weapons were purely cosmetic in SCV. That pretty much rips out one of the things that made the series unique. As for costumes, I loved all the alternate costumes in SC2, the Siegfried one for Nightmare being my favorite. Now it's basically "here's your two costumes, if you want more go make them with shitty prefab parts."
I agree wholeheartedly. Weapons being cosmetic also irked me, and while it made sense that it stopped people from being forced down a build path, Tekken 6 allows the option to turn off effects that custom items give. Why couldn't they have done the same here?

Remember that Egyptian tomb stage where the floor was made of ice and it was really easy to fall off of?
Yep. Even if I died a lot on that stage, it was an endless source of comedy as I recall you could use that stage in conventional Versus with other people.

I actually liked how V reinstated being able to ring out yourself after knocking someone out, but that's probably one of the few things that I could say positively about it. That and my friend was really good at making custom characters, and I made a pretty good Guts from Berserk.

I love Cody from a character point-of-view, namely in the fact that he's canonically the strongest character in Street Fighter. He just doesn't give a fuck, which is why he leaves the handcuffs on, because he's too strong and it keeps fights interesting. Also it helps that his supers are easy and he's a fast-but-heavy hitter for the most part.
That's another reason I like Akuma beyond his technical execution - he also willingly handicaps himself so the opponent has a chance of winning, hence the version of Akuma you play is never in his strongest iteration.

Dio Brando

kiwifarms.net
That's another reason I like Akuma beyond his technical execution - he also willingly handicaps himself so the opponent has a chance of winning, hence the version of Akuma you play is never in his strongest iteration.
You also can't forget Oro from Street Fighter 3. He's so powerful that he ties up one arm because he's worried he might accidentally kill his opponent if he has both out.

I seriously don't get why they never brought Oro. He was such an awesome and interesting character. Him and Q

sm0t

Did someone...mention a cow?!
kiwifarms.net
After Smash, my favorite 3D fighting series is Dead or Alive. I've been following the series since 3, though I've filled out my collection with copies of 1 and 2 as well. I haven't played my DOA5U game in a while because life, but ever since I found out about Last Round I felt like starting it again. For the longest time I've played as Kasumi, probably because she was one of the easier characters to pick up and play. I also thought that she had decent speed for my playstyle. Lately I've taken a liking to Mila in this new installment and I'm probably going to practice with her more.

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is my favorite 2D fighter. Or at least it was the only 2D fighter that caught my attention enough to want to own, as much as I like playing the Capcom vs SNK and Marvel vs Capcom games at arcades or friends' houses. The roster was what got me interested, but I stuck around for the very metal OST. Even though I consider Eddie/Zato-1 to be my main, I've only ever been able to beat Boss I-No with Dizzy or Bridget. I think I mostly just spammed their respective long-range attacks. *yawn*

Honorable mention goes to Soul Calibur 3. It's the last of the SC games that I have, and I've only played a demo of 4. Talim was my main for that one because once again I like fast characters. Fun story, when SC3 was still considered new I had played it for so long that I had Guard Impact practically down to a science. It was also when I still went to a college that had a PS2 in the lunch/rec room combo, and so I gained some notoriety amongst the gamers for kicking everyone's ass with Talim no matter what weapon I used because they could almost never get an attack in. /coolstorybro

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
You also can't forget Oro from Street Fighter 3. He's so powerful that he ties up one arm because he's worried he might accidentally kill his opponent if he has both out.

I seriously don't get why they never brought Oro. He was such an awesome and interesting character. Him and Q
I guess he's supposed to show up later? Street Fighter IV is prior to the events of Street Fighter III and Third Strike, after all. Still, he's a character I would have rather seen appear in the latest Ultra iteration. For all that hyping on a unique 5th character that hasn't appeared before, Decapre was a bit of a copout. Lazy enough that they didn't have to make a unique visual design besides a Cammy costume, and the other 4 characters had already appeared in SF x Tekken. Characters like Oro or R. Mika would have required them to make a new character model, so it felt like they were cutting corners in that respect.

After Smash, my favorite 3D fighting series is Dead or Alive. I've been following the series since 3, though I've filled out my collection with copies of 1 and 2 as well. I haven't played my DOA5U game in a while because life, but ever since I found out about Last Round I felt like starting it again. For the longest time I've played as Kasumi, probably because she was one of the easier characters to pick up and play. I also thought that she had decent speed for my playstyle. Lately I've taken a liking to Mila in this new installment and I'm probably going to practice with her more.
Even though I stopped at Dead or Alive 3. I might give Last Round a try to see what has changed since I last played it. Jann Lee was my favourite character to play in 3, followed by Ayane. Are there still a plethora of features (e,g: 8 vs 8 team battles, Survival, unlockables) in the current version? I did like how there was a fair amount of stuff to do in the version I played.

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is my favorite 2D fighter. Or at least it was the only 2D fighter that caught my attention enough to want to own, as much as I like playing the Capcom vs SNK and Marvel vs Capcom games at arcades or friends' houses. The roster was what got me interested, but I stuck around for the very \M/ETAL OST. Even though I consider Eddie/Zato-1 to be my main, I've only ever been able to beat Boss I-No with Dizzy or Bridget. I think I mostly just spammed their respective long-range attacks. *yawn*
I have most of the Guilty Gear music in my collection. My favourites are "Fuuga" (Anji Mito), "Suck a Sage" (Chipp Zanuff), "Noontide" (Sol vs Ky) and "Haven't You Got Eyes in Your Head?" (S-layer: There's a filter for that word >.>).

niggers

GOT A FEELING I CAN'T SHAKE IT
kiwifarms.net
FINALLY THIS GETS MADE AGAIN
username for all dese is shoyster

ggpo:
KOF '98 - vice
third strike - ryu/necro

steam:
usf4 - sakura, occasionally deejay
KOF 13 - king/mature/vice
sg - parasoul/double/painwheel
mk9 - fucking nobody
injustice - harley quinn

ps3:
under night in-birth - nobody yet
darkstalkers resurrection - hsien ko
tekken revolution - asuka
doa5 - ryu

hit me up. i'm not great honestly (which is weird considering how it's pretty much the only genre i play) but i love some competition.

Protoman

Row, row, fight the power.
kiwifarms.net
I play PC for the most part, so I don't have many fighting games, but I love the ones I do have. I'm pretty shit, and I can't nail combos for the life of me, but I'm always down to play.

KOF XIII - Terry Bogard. Bustah Woof all day every day.
Skullgirls - Big Band. Primo husbando.
USF4 - THE RED CYCLONE.

Tags
None