Fighting Games General -

BillionBisonBucks

Soon will be worth five billion pounds
kiwifarms.net
I definitely prefer my stick, but there's pros and cons to both. I can't tiger knee on a pad, but I'm way better at double-tapping a direction. It's also a lot more labor-intensive to use the stick. Arcane things like hand position really matter, and will require research and training time to figure out where your preferences lie.

As far as tips for fighting games in general, just one. Get your hands on Skullgirls and play the lesson mode. It includes EVERYTHING you need to know to be basically functional in any 2D game, and many of the concepts translate well to 3D games as well. If you prefer a free option, Shoryuken's Fighting Game Primer is also a great resource.

Reactions: ShittyRecolor

ThespianのAnus

honk honk
kiwifarms.net
I recommend the Tekken series because it's in the 3D area of fighting and plus anyone can pick up any of the series and have a great time. Street Fighter is great if you want nothing but remembering that one specific command that you have to do. All the time. Every single moment.
Tekken hasn't been a casual friendly fighter since the 3rd game. If anything, Tekken has gotten much more complex since T5, and Harada effectively raises the entry level barrier with each release.

Most casual players would be put off by learning Korean Back-Dashing, Just-Frames, understanding the importance of neutral inputs, block-punishing, frame-data, resets, and each character's essential combos which are much more complex than SFV's combos. If Tekken 7's Steam forums are an indicator of anything, the game is anything but casual friendly.

If you really want to suggest a casual friendly game, I would recommend MVC:I to beginners even though it's a poorly made game. It has auto-combos similar to P4 Arena and KOF 14 which gives beginners an understanding of how combos function. They can mash out shit until they realize it's ineffective against more skilled players, thus forcing them to learn new combos and - as a result - thoroughly learn the mechanics of the game.

Also, what is so hard about learning quarter-circle forward special moves? Tekken has the same moves too, as well with more commands daunting to casuals like the EWGF motion.

If you really want to suggest a casual friendly game, I would recommend MVC:I to beginners even though it's a poorly made game. It has auto-combos similar to P4 Arena and KOF 14 which gives beginners an understanding of how combos function. They can mash out shit until they realize it's ineffective against more skilled players, thus forcing them to learn new combos and - as a result - thoroughly learn the mechanics of the game.
I wouldn't agree that any Marvel Vs Capcom game is casual-friendly - the dynamic of a three-man team and the requirement that you know all three characters' moves, supers and tag attacks, along with the sheer speed and verticality of the game make it difficult IMHO.

A perfect beginner's friendly fighting game is Skullgirls because of the tutorial mode that teaches you basically everything you need to know about fighting games as a whole. Everything from spacing, mixups, crossups, to strings and combos is all explained very well.

ThespianのAnus

honk honk
kiwifarms.net
MVC:I returned to the two-on-two format that was used in the first game.

I don't know if I necessarily agree if three-on-three is more complex, but it definitely is a lot more to juggle with than 2v2. However, MVC2 was the most complex game tbh. A lot of the infinite in that game are not easy to pull off and they do require some time in the lab to master.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
So, I've started playing fighting games and wanted to see if anyone else here did. Anyone have weird stories about people they know, or general tips for specific games or the genre in general, or recommendations for sticks?
I prefer the fightstick as pads generally give me blisters on top of my blisters when it comes to fighters, and some movements feels more accurate when performed on a stick (I,e: most shoto movements).

If you want good education about fundamentals for fighting games, then ArcSys games (i,e: Guilty Gear and Blazblue) have very comprehensive tutorials that are universal for all fighting games. Downside is they're anime fighters and as such have very small local and online communities compared to Street Fighter or Tekken.

Are you looking to go purely against other players or are you okay with grinding against bots for a while to develop character knowledge? I would also highly recommend finding a local group of people who play fighting games in your area, as local practice is infinitely better than online play.

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
I prefer the fightstick as pads generally give me blisters on top of my blisters when it comes to fighters, and some movements feels more accurate when performed on a stick (I,e: most shoto movements).

If you want good education about fundamentals for fighting games, then ArcSys games (i,e: Guilty Gear and Blazblue) have very comprehensive tutorials that are universal for all fighting games. Downside is they're anime fighters and as such have very small local and online communities compared to Street Fighter or Tekken.

Are you looking to go purely against other players or are you okay with grinding against bots for a while to develop character knowledge? I would also highly recommend finding a local group of people who play fighting games in your area, as local practice is infinitely better than online play.
By shoto movements I assume you mean quarter circles and that weird Z thing for shoryukens in SF and electrics in Tekken? That's actually the main reason I'm looking into a stick myself. I can sort of throw fireballs on my ps4 pad, but I cannot for the life of me get shoryukens out.

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
So, I've started playing fighting games and wanted to see if anyone else here did. Anyone have weird stories about people they know, or general tips for specific games or the genre in general, or recommendations for sticks?
These videos might prove useful too:

I'd also recommend Killer Instinct, it's a great fighting game with unique game mechanics that that makes each character viable and lends itself to creating your own distinct fight style. It's also pretty beginner friendly thansk to its extensive tutorial similar to Skullgirls (the Guilty Gear Xrd games have a great tutorial too) and the fact that most characters have their strength at an entry level, meaning you will be able to do tons of cool stuff even as a beginner while mastering it still isn't a mean feat. The game also has a great emphasis on risk vs reward scenarios, mind games and reading your opponents.

Boxy Brown

Strong proud black man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
By shoto movements I assume you mean quarter circles and that weird Z thing for shoryukens in SF and electrics in Tekken? That's actually the main reason I'm looking into a stick myself. I can sort of throw fireballs on my ps4 pad, but I cannot for the life of me get shoryukens out.
Don't pay attention to the annotation inside Street Fighter. They make a shoryuken look like a z motion but really its: forward, down, down forward
If your inputs were a numpad like
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3
With 5 being the neutral position a shoryuken would be: 623 punch.
This is a cunfusing thing to many new fighting game players.

• Agree
Reactions: BillionBisonBucks

timecop

kiwifarms.net
i'm starting to know how to play king enough to be dangerous on tekken 7. as soon as i learn that rolling fuck ball of death grab it's over.

BonkersBonkBonk

Trap or Treat
kiwifarms.net
I'm in a abusive relationship with Injustice 2. That fucking game is such a slut, but it fucks me nice. I shouldn't go back but I do.

I main Gorilla Grodd just to upset the balance of fucking Batman's, scarecrows and aquamen. Rabble rabble rabble

Ballo

Blessed ET Jesus
kiwifarms.net
I'm in a abusive relationship with Injustice 2. That fucking game is such a slut, but it fucks me nice. I shouldn't go back but I do.

I main Gorilla Grodd just to upset the balance of fucking Batman's, scarecrows and aquamen. Rabble rabble rabble
For me its the abusive relationship with mvci.
I hate the online but i just keep coming back to it because its so fun

Reactions: BonkersBonkBonk

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Since my other thread has vanished down the list never to see the light of day again, I thought it fitting to create a new one.

What are your favourite fighting games? Which ones are you currently playing? What are your mains? Need anyone to have a scrap against?

Currently playing (all on PS4):
- DragonBall FighterZ (Cell/Bardock/Vegeta) - Need a lot of work on approaches, defence and pressure. Currently running the GO1 team but may be getting burnt out and needing more inspiration.
- Tekken 7 (Dragunov) - Need training. Fun and engaging despite some neutered content.
- Under Night In-Birth: Exe Late (st) (Merkava/Hyde/Gordeau) - Picked up recently since my local fight scene has adopted it. Still learning, but a very enjoyable game.
- Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 (Sol Badguy) - Need more competition to inspire me to learn. Thinking about picking up a less formulaic character.
- Street Fighter IV (Akuma) - Fuck V. Superior product with less exceptional shit. Always down for learning more/fighting in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennett Beeny

Hui

fυ¢к тнє נαииιєѕ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This nigga just picks the highest tier characters LMAO

DragonBall - I don't play auto combo shit
Tekken 7 - King
Under Night - Wagner/Hilda
Guilty Gear - Dizzy
Street Fighter 5 - lol no

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
This nigga just picks the highest tier characters LMAO
Only one I stand guilty as charged is for DBFZ, and that's probably why I have the most dissonance with it. I need to spend more time picking my own team instead of watching what others do.

The other characters are just that I happen to like the character designs. If Dragunov still looked like wannabe Igor as he did in Tekken 6 I'd have stayed with Kazuya (or if maybe Alex was still a thing I would have gone there). I'm dabbling around with Law, Akuma and Lei, but I don't get as much time to lab as I used to, unfortunately. If I pick up BlazBlue CF my main's still going to be Ragna while trying to improve in Bang and Hakumen.

As for Merkava? Well...

Hui

fυ¢к тнє נαииιєѕ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But for real though. Under Night is the best 2D game out there and it gets no love.

• Agree
Reactions: That Chris Guy

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
But for real though. Under Night is the best 2D game out there and it gets no love.
I didn't really think I'd say it, but it's true. I'm bias for Guilty Gear, but UNIST has put on an amazing display with a ton of content and depth with less (((paywalls))). I really hope it finds more success so long as it can maintain its integrity.

• Agree
Reactions: Hui
Tags
None