Fighting Games General -

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't mind if they shaved off a few systems like GUTS and R.I.S.C., and it's not like any of the Accent Core fans liked Danger Time anyway. Still, I hope it's not simplified too far.
They took away It's dust attack that let you enhance your projectile.

Look how they massacred my boy.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
That mean that they’re not going to bother with Disney’s batshit licensing? Good. Shame I can’t fucking stand Mahvel. Anyone play Tekken?
I do. Primarily Dragunov, but I also want to learn Feng Couple of other characters too, but those are my main focus. Always up for a game, even though my internet is shite.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
The fighting game genre is one of my all time favorite genres of games. Although I'm no Tourney player by any means, in fact I can never find anyone on the same skill as I am and always get my ass handed to me. Its the reason why I had to quit playing on FightCade.

Fighting Games I Play

Street Fighter: Getting this one out of the way first for obvious reasons. Grew up playing Championship Edition on the Sega Genesis and then SSF2: The New Challengers also on Genesis. Once I got a Playstation, I gave the Alpha series a shot and quickly loved that as well (specifically Alpha 3). Tired SF3, wasn't my cup of tea. Still isn't anytime I revisit it. Not because of the character roster, if anything it was a great decision not having all of the cast from the previous games return (unlike what Capcom did in 4 and is currently doing in 5 with their season passes). It means spending time with new unique characters, of which I have a few mains (Dudley, Q, Remy, and Hugo if I'm bored enough to pick him). It just doesn't give me the same "fun" feeling I get when playing 2, Alpha or even 4. Speaking of which, when I had a Windows computer and a Steam account, I played 4 non-stop. I even dipped into the 3ds version thats how much I loved it (word of advice, don't go online with the 3ds version, the "cheapness" factor is up x10 due to the touch-screen commands making moves a lot easier to pull off... its a different environment compared to online play on either PC or even on the PS3 of which I used to own). I have no interest in playing 5. I've been following it since it's announcement and to me the street fighter series now is just an empty husk of what it used to be. Not to mention it's more "e-sports" focused 🙄

Darkstalkers/Vampire: I first played Night Warriors on Saturn, and fell in love with it. Same with Darkstalkers 3 on the PS1. It's too bad Capcom never did anything with this IP after 3, but considering their track record, I'm kinda glad they haven't touched this. I main Pyron, but I've also dabbed into Hsien-Ko & Victor.

Marvel vs Series: I play MSH, X-MenvsSF, MSHvsSF, and MvsC2. The last one being my all time favorite of the series that I still have for my PS2 and go back to from time to time. Haven't touched anything after MvsC2 especially since they don't look appealing to me.

Tekken: Used to play a lot, but I'm SO out of practice. Last Tekken game I played was 5 on the PS2. I go back to the PS1 games now and then.

Fighting Megamix (ViruaFighter & FightingVipers): I played VF1 & VF2 constantly when I was in middle school and had a Saturn. Fighting Vipers was also a fun game I played. Sonic The Fighters was based off of that game (which for the record i play as well)

I also tried Arcana Heart 3 a few times when I had a PS3. Not bad, but not anything spectacular. I tried maining Clarice for a while till I got bored with the game, specially since at the time I couldn't find anyone online to play with (guess i started playing when no one cared for it anymore).

Other than that, haven't touched anything new since my computer is a potato, deleted my steam account years ago, and the "newest" console I have is a Wii (I sold my PS3).

• Agree
Reactions: That Chris Guy

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
I do. Primarily Dragunov, but I also want to learn Feng Couple of other characters too, but those are my main focus. Always up for a game, even though my internet is shite.
What platform, and do you have questions regarding Feng? I, badly, main the character.

Last edited:

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Street Fighter: Getting this one out of the way first for obvious reasons. Grew up playing Championship Edition on the Sega Genesis and then SSF2: The New Challengers also on Genesis. Once I got a Playstation, I gave the Alpha series a shot and quickly loved that as well (specifically Alpha 3). Tired SF3, wasn't my cup of tea. Still isn't anytime I revisit it. Not because of the character roster, if anything it was a great decision not having all of the cast from the previous games return (unlike what Capcom did in 4 and is currently doing in 5 with their season passes). It means spending time with new unique characters, of which I have a few mains (Dudley, Q, Remy, and Hugo if I'm bored enough to pick him). It just doesn't give me the same "fun" feeling I get when playing 2, Alpha or even 4. Speaking of which, when I had a Windows computer and a Steam account, I played 4 non-stop. I even dipped into the 3ds version thats how much I loved it (word of advice, don't go online with the 3ds version, the "cheapness" factor is up x10 due to the touch-screen commands making moves a lot easier to pull off... its a different environment compared to online play on either PC or even on the PS3 of which I used to own). I have no interest in playing 5. I've been following it since it's announcement and to me the street fighter series now is just an empty husk of what it used to be. Not to mention it's more "e-sports" focused 🙄
V is so soul-crushingly garbage, it's an utter disappointment how far the Capcom sycophants go to defend it. The everything-is-free-as-long-as-you-have-no-life-and-love-misery unlock scheme is bullshit, not to mention them steadily gimping currency earnings, on top of releasing new editions when they said they wouldn't and pricing premium costume shit at $5+ a pop. That's saying nothing about the stifled always-offence gameplay and skills you could freely use before that are now tied to V-shit. It was the first Street Fighter I decided I had no interest whatsoever in learning or playing competitively, and I hold only the faintest amount of hope for VI to banish it forever and be a better game (unlikely, but I hope).

What platform, and do you have questions regarding Feng? I, badly, main they character.
PS4. Most important question I have is: how the hell do you delay FF4,3 into that staggered kick option? I thought it was just holding forward and 4, but my rate of success is so inconsistent I feel like I'm missing something.

Also: What do you find are the best options for approach? I find myself overusing UF4, SS4, DB3 to open up and DF2 for counter hit fishing, and want to get more effective at using the character and knowing his options.

Takayuki Yagami

kiwifarms.net
V is so soul-crushingly garbage, it's an utter disappointment how far the Capcom sycophants go to defend it. The everything-is-free-as-long-as-you-have-no-life-and-love-misery unlock scheme is bullshit, not to mention them steadily gimping currency earnings, on top of releasing new editions when they said they wouldn't and pricing premium costume shit at $5+ a pop. That's saying nothing about the stifled always-offence gameplay and skills you could freely use before that are now tied to V-shit. It was the first Street Fighter I decided I had no interest whatsoever in learning or playing competitively, and I hold only the faintest amount of hope for VI to banish it forever and be a better game (unlikely, but I hope).

PS4. Most important question I have is: how the hell do you delay FF4,3 into that staggered kick option? I thought it was just holding forward and 4, but my rate of success is so inconsistent I feel like I'm missing something.

Also: What do you find are the best options for approach? I find myself overusing UF4, SS4, DB3 to open up and DF2 for counter hit fishing, and want to get more effective at using the character and knowing his options.
I’m PC unfortunately. As to your character questions.
1. What exactly are you talking about with ff4,3? If you mean the new bread and butter combos, just delay for a little hit into df4,2,1+2. Don’t bother with the dash jabs for max damage. The main guys in the character discord don’t really do it in matches much, nor do the few pro players. It’s more trouble than it’s worth.
2. Approach is arguably Feng’s biggest weakness, to the point that Zafina’s absurd backdash alone makes it one of the worst matchups in the game. The moves you should be using from range are limited, but the best thing to get in safely is canceling the qcf by just doing d,df so that you can do a ws1 out of the animation. It’s decently fast at 14 frames and only -1. Uf4 is a bad option for approach because it has a hitbox so bad that goes over lows that it should crush. Don’t bother with it unless you’re absolutely sure the hopkick will work. SS4 is an important part of his mixup game, but it’s a stumpy pseudo-hellsweep with a clean hit to launch; so you should mix it up with ss1+2(+1 mid) and df3(super low range but safe launcher). Db3 is possibly his best move, but it’s -15 or -14 depending on range, so mix it up with other lows like d2 (i20, chunky, and only -12), d4(i14 and -11), or the db222 string(the 2nd hit launches if they don’t block or low parry so stop at 22 if they don’t know the matchup. DF22 is a safe wallbounce that lets you get a lot of pain at the wall. Better options for CH fishing are qcf1+2 (+4 on block and free stomp in CH), b1 (i10 that trades favorably and gives a free dash into shoulder), or the f2,1,2 string (what I think you mean, and the last hit is guaranteed if the 1 counterhits). I’d go into how to use KNP, but this is long enough already. Also use uf2. If this seems like alot it’s because he is not based around a small set of moves the way Drag, Paul, or Kazuya are.
Edit: Also qcf1 launches on CH, and can be done at long-ish ranges.

Last edited:

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I’m PC unfortunately. As to your character questions.
1. What exactly are you talking about with ff4,3? If you mean the new bread and butter combos, just delay for a little hit into df4,2,1+2. Don’t bother with the dash jabs for max damage. The main guys in the character discord don’t really do it in matches much, nor do the few pro players. It’s more trouble than it’s worth.
2. Approach is arguably Feng’s biggest weakness, to the point that Zafina’s absurd backdash alone makes it one of the worst matchups in the game. The moves you should be using from range are limited, but the best thing to get in safely is canceling the qcf by just doing d,df so that you can do a ws1 out of the animation. It’s decently fast at 14 frames and only -1. Uf4 is a bad option for approach because it has a hitbox so bad that goes over lows that it should crush. Don’t bother with it unless you’re absolutely sure the hopkick will work. SS4 is an important part of his mixup game, but it’s a stumpy pseudo-hellsweep with a clean hit to launch; so you should mix it up with ss1+2(+1 mid) and df3(super low range but safe launcher). Db3 is possibly his best move, but it’s -15 or -14 depending on range, so mix it up with other lows like d2 (i20, chunky, and only -12), d4(i14 and -11), or the db222 string(the 2nd hit launches if they don’t block or low parry so stop at 22 if they don’t know the matchup. DF22 is a safe wallbounce that lets you get a lot of pain at the wall. Better options for CH fishing are qcf1+2 (+4 on block and free stomp in CH), b1 (i10 that trades favorably and gives a free dash into shoulder), or the f2,1,2 string (what I think you mean, and the last hit is guaranteed if the 1 counterhits). I’d go into how to use KNP, but this is long enough already. Also use uf2. If this seems like alot it’s because he is not based around a small set of moves the way Drag, Paul, or Kazuya are.
Edit: Also qcf1 launches on CH, and can be done at long-ish ranges.
1. The attack is called Spreading Wings. I just can't seem to get that delayed effect where his first leg hangs for a little before releasing the second one consistently. I guess I'm being autistic and dputting too much stock into it when I need to work on more of the neutral game anyway.
2. Nope, it can never be too long. This is the kind of information I need, thanks. I try to get most of my activity in offline play, but when you've been playing a really small pool of players with Dragunov for a long while, it makes it difficult to throw in a new character without being punished for it. That and when you alternatively play the AI for a while, it can be easy to stick to tendencies that will not work against real people at all.

I know having his back turned on occasion is also important to his mix-ups, but I'll start with what you've already given.

Takayuki Yagami

kiwifarms.net
1. The attack is called Spreading Wings. I just can't seem to get that delayed effect where his first leg hangs for a little before releasing the second one consistently. I guess I'm being autistic and dputting too much stock into it when I need to work on more of the neutral game anyway.
2. Nope, it can never be too long. This is the kind of information I need, thanks. I try to get most of my activity in offline play, but when you've been playing a really small pool of players with Dragunov for a long while, it makes it difficult to throw in a new character without being punished for it. That and when you alternatively play the AI for a while, it can be easy to stick to tendencies that will not work against real people at all.

I know having his back turned on occasion is also important to his mix-ups, but I'll start with what you've already given.
Going to backturn is risky compared to say, Ling or Master Raven. He’s vulnerable to his stuff getting backdashed and almost none of his BT transitions are particularly safe.

Dr. Geronimo

kiwifarms.net
So it turns out that the latest SFV patch actually blocks the fanmade netcode fixes

How the fuck can an entire genre be a lolcow?

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
So it turns out that the latest SFV patch actually blocks the fanmade netcode fixes

How the fuck can an entire genre be a lolcow?
Wouldn't Capcom's FG division just be the lolcow? They run a scamming business and have legions of fans who pony up the money even though the promised quality isn't met.

Dr. Geronimo

kiwifarms.net
Wouldn't Capcom's FG division just be the lolcow? They run a scamming business and have legions of fans who pony up the money even though the promised quality isn't met.
Bamco is literally selling frame data.
NRS went full haram and censored all their women.
Arcsys is currently simplifying all of their games.
SNK can't even release a PC port of Samurai Shodown.

I can't think of a single active fighting game company that is doing even the most basic stuff right.

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
Honestly the 2 things that piss me off the most about SFV are:

1. Having to connect to a server even when playing the game offline.

and

2. The "collected" editions are just the vanilla disc and a coupon.

I can't think of a single active fighting game company that is doing even the most basic stuff right.
Tecmo also cucked out with DOA6 only to turn around and start selling the risque costumes as dlc.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Honestly the 2 things that piss me off the most about SFV are:

1. Having to connect to a server even when playing the game offline.
lolwut? You have to connect to an online server to play offline? You mean the game is online-only?

You can't be serious. That's anathema to fighting games in general, and tournaments would have to have connections supplied to all their consoles. So glad I didn't adopt this dumpster fire if true.

Last edited:

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
lolwut? You have to connect to an online server to play offline? You mean the game is online-only?

You can't be serious. That's anathema to fighting games in general, and tournaments would have to have connections supplied to all their consoles. So glad I didn't adopt this dumpster fire if true.
Nah it'll work offline but if your *in my case* PS4 is connected to the internet it will try to connect to a server automatically.

It's annoying when you don't play online.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Nah it'll work offline but if your *in my case* PS4 is connected to the internet it will try to connect to a server automatically.

It's annoying when you don't play online.
I figured that's what it was since I heard no uproar of the sort. MHW does the same thing,

As for Tecmo, it's not even the first time they've done this. They toned down breast sizes in DoA 5 before later adding sliders. Doesn't mean I'm siding with them after their disingenuous advertising though.

At least with SC6, the developers just said, "Nope!" after being harangued by the media concerning Ivy's attire.

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
I figured that's what it was since I heard no uproar of the sort. MHW does the same thing,

As for Tecmo, it's not even the first time they've done this. They toned down breast sizes in DoA 5 before later adding sliders. Doesn't mean I'm siding with them after their disingenuous advertising though.

At least with SC6, the developers just said, "Nope!" after being harangued by the media concerning Ivy's attire.
Probably helps that with SC6 they flat out said if that game bombed the franchise was getting shelved.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

This. This is the big reason why I think I'm done with fighters.

There's Punch Planet though. That's a good one made by devs who listen.

Tags
None