Final Fantasy XIV- Kiwi Free Company -

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing. Emails (registration / password reset) appear to be working; be sure to check spam.

THE MERGE IS ON.

Etrian Autistry

Dumbgeon Delver
kiwifarms.net
Reminder to everyone that we have a small kiwi FC on Siren on the Aether datacenter made up of kiwis from Josh's old MATI discord server and a few more regular players who we decided fit the bill for chill guildmates. We have a medium house in the Mists with an airship and chocobo stable. If you would like to join, you can DM me.

Gravemind

A monument to all your sins
kiwifarms.net
It's not like Gunbreaker doesn't have the same "dumbed down" stupid shit Dark Knight has. Gunbreaker has a 60 seconds cooldown aoe ability called Bow Shock, it has an ability called Bloodfest that gives it resources to use Burst Strike or the Gnashing Fang combo that requires that resource. Gunbreaker also has Sonic Break that also has a 60 seconds cooldown. Dark Knight brings The Blackest Night, which is the best mitigation tool in the game, it also has Dark Mind.
I mained Gunbreaker up until recently so I'm aware of its skills. Bow Shock doesn't bother me as bad since it tends to line up with No Mercy's cooldown and I use Bloodfest frequently enough for dungeon trash or when I don't have a charge for whatever reason when starting a No Mercy burst rotation. Much as I like having DOT options on a Tank, I do hate how Sonic Break's CD is so long, though, making it really only viable to use, along with Bow Shock, during a No Mercy window. What's the point of having 2 DOTs if you can't at least keep one of them ticking?

Is Dark Mind really that good for being a magic defense CD? I was always under the impression that "magic" or "physical" based incoming damage really stopped being so much of a priority after Heavensward. I know Blackest Night is one of the best defense CDs, but I find it a little irksome that Dark Arts is tied to it.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On Discord (The Balance for endgame stuff, PVPaissa for PVP, etc). There's also threads outside the /xivg/ on 4chan you can read. /xivg/ is more of a containment thread for the ERP'ing troons and weirdos that got XIV threads soft-banned in the first place. Now that WoW janny is currently sneeding about the state of his game and can't instantly shitcan threads because Hiroyuki likes XIV due to it being LE SUPERIOR NIPPONESE GAME, you can probably find normal threads on /v/, /vrpg/, and /vm/ again.

In-game, just join a non-pozzed free company or linkshell.
Touring /wowg/, they're so mind broken that they see trannies everywhere. :story:

FencePost

kiwifarms.net
Is Dark Mind really that good for being a magic defense CD? I was always under the impression that "magic" or "physical" based incoming damage really stopped being so much of a priority after Heavensward. I know Blackest Night is one of the best defense CDs, but I find it a little irksome that Dark Arts is tied to it.
I'm pretty sure DM is still fine because most bosses damage isn't a particular element/type (To my knowledge, I'm probably wrong).
Dark Arts as an individual skill died with ShB. It now serves as a reason to properly time TBN. Tank busters and large pulls will break it but you get a free Edge/Flood of shadow for it, then you start using your other tank cooldowns. It'd be nice if the free use also did a bit of healing to kick up the self sustain but that's just me.

Sunflower Samurai

kiwifarms.net
Lemme ask, not for the sake of defending Dark Knight, but out of curiosity: What exactly is it that makes Dark Knight suck so much compared to the other tanks as of now?

It does feel a bit on the archaic side of things, which is unusual for the poster class of the expansion (Shadowbringers), almost like they wanted to hang onto stuff from Heavensward and Stormblood that just really doesn't work with the way the other Tanks are balanced. I feel like Blood Weapon definitely needs to go, same with Dark Mind (sure, it's unique in that it resists Magic but that doesn't feel like it's mattered since Heavensward), Salted Earth – despite being a damage option – is pretty outdated, they might as well get rid of Abyssal Drain altogether since it's delegated to being a 60 second cooldown and probably gets forgotten outside of really niche uses, and the new functionality of Dark Arts seems kind of dumb.

So, do those qualities end up dragging Dark Knight's damage output/utility down compared to the others? Because I could kind of see where that would be the case, but I also feel like Dark Knights have plenty of options for weaving in rotations that it shouldn't theoretically kneecap their output. Especially since I've heard it said that Dark Knights should never ever let their resources be full – that MP bar should never be at 100% and that Blood Gauge should never hit 100% because if it does, it means you're not using your kit, which is a damage loss.
the 5.0 streamlining of all tanks probably fucked with DRK the most id say, granted my experience with it wasnt much since i barely got my time in before i quit for the moment and i didnt come back till bout 6 months ago, as a DRK main, and bringing the other 3 tanks to 80 (rn i only have WAR left), DRK does feel like you gotta work your kit a lil bit more consistently while the others have some wiggle room or dumb buttons, which would be fine, but they end up performing on par or sometimes slightly worse than the others dmg wise (granted, its a tank, mitigation should be one of its higher priorities and TBN is arguably one of the best ones barring WAR's self-heals)

Granted, ill admit that my tinkering with DRK only comes from looking at some heavily autistic guides that want you to be 100% efficient, when the general truth is that 80% of any casual content is probably gonna have enough room to make major mistakes and still clear at an enjoyable pace

but then again, there is a possiblity that i just suck dick, lmao

Michael Wade

I love my insane psychotic psychic wife.
kiwifarms.net
It really isn't too bad (I am a Eurofag so maybe we are not quite at the same level of faggotry), yes, you get "UwU nuzzles you" rpers in Limsa Lominsa sometimes or half naked cat boys, but so far I only had one guy in my dungeon runs write some cringy shit but nothing truly vile.

I have joined a small FC last week and we are just helping eachother here and there or talking about our next goals or classes to level etc. When I said "interact as little with the community as possible" I should have worded it differently. Stay away from the degenerates (and their forums) and stick with normal and friendly people.
Yes, I can confirm the European's in the Moogle server have their shit together. Although I do hear a LOT of bitching about how terrible the french players are. Seems exaggerated to me.

Fcret

Ravioli Ravioli
kiwifarms.net
Lemme ask, not for the sake of defending Dark Knight, but out of curiosity: What exactly is it that makes Dark Knight suck so much compared to the other tanks as of now?
Dark Knight is current meta main tank and the GOAT of prog. It's actually not held down by archaic design at all, considering it got almost completely redesigned in Shadowbringers.

If you know fights, then Dark Mind is extremely strong. It's essentially Rampart with half the duration but on a much shorter cooldown. A lot of bosses in extreme and savage have heavy hitting tankbusters/tank targeting attacks which are magical in nature, and so knowing where these are and when you can save rampart gives you essentially a whole other major defensive cooldown.

A really good example of a use case is in E6S. There's a part of that fight with dual fire tornadoes that need to be baited by tanks while healers keep the tanks topped off. Normally it's supposed to be a heal check because tanks will have used most of their defensive CDs up to that point. But a dark knight throwing out a dark mind (plus a dark missionary if they have it) turns it into a joke.

Gravemind

kiwifarms.net
Interesting to know that, yet again, what I hear on the grapevine about the meta is completely fucking wrong. Thanks for the feedback.

Where do people come up with ideas like Dark Knight being the worst performing Tank right now from anyway?

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
[Dark Knight's] actually not held down by archaic design at all, considering it got almost completely redesigned in Shadowbringers.
Not really.

Effectively Edge of Shadow/Flood of Shadow is what Dark Arts used to be, an off gcd mana spender that gives damage, you just spam it less than in Stormblood and it doesn't have some synergy aspect to it like old Dark Arts. It also serves as a simplification for Darkside, which kind of screws up their original lore but that is another story.

TBN is mostly the same, just much more straight forward because it just refunds your mana if it breaks instead of the convoluted Mana + off gcd vs Blood + gcd dps math where you can lose dps because Bloodspiller used your gcd while Dark Arts didn't. It still has some jank because as you get more gear you get can sometimes make TBN breaks that used to work not happen anymore which is really annoying.

Abyssal Drain was SE giving up on trying to make this work within their 2 button tank aoe rotation design, so they just made it an off gcd that doesn't cost mana unlike what Dark Passenger used to be. Salted Earth is a HW ability that honestly doesn't need to exist anymore if they want to keep jobs simple and not have random filler seeming abilities. Dark Mind is a holdover from HW when they wanted Physical and Magical specialized tanks for some reason, despite making most dangerous tank busters magical. No other tank cooldown works this way anymore, so why does Dark Mind? I have no idea I'd rather it was something else. All they did to Dark Mind in the "rework" is remove the DA enhancement which is hardly a rework at all.

The most rework heavy thing is that DRK gets an Inner Release window like Warrior, while before your burst window was getting as many Dark Arts enhancements as you could during raid buffs which felt more like what Gunbreaker is today with all the off gcd weaving. If you want a real rework, look at Machinist that job has been effectively remade twice now because it sure doesn't work like it did in HW even remotely.

You could remove Abyssal Drain, Salted Earth, and Dark Mind and Dark Knight would be plenty coherent with its gameplay style of spend mana for defense/offense which was its original playstyle in HW with just more buttons that could use mana. GNB's off-gcds and Sonic Break mostly serve as burst fodder for your No Mercy burst window which is why everything except Bloodlust aligns pretty much perfectly and Bloodlust aligns every other time you use it. Gunbreaker has a pretty strong focus on burst due to it having only one burst cooldown at 60 seconds and is a very coherent design relative to Drk. Abyssal Drain and Salted Earth do nothing for Drk's Delirium window and are just filler off gcds just to have them. Even Upheaval on Warrior serves more of a purpose to its design considering it has synergy with Inner Release and at least makes it less "Fell Cleave" the job because Upheavel is more efficient to use than Fell Cleave.

Interesting to know that, yet again, what I hear on the grapevine about the meta is completely fucking wrong. Thanks for the feedback.

Where do people come up with ideas like Dark Knight being the worst performing Tank right now from anyway?
Eh, DRK is in a very weird spot and for most groups WAR is probably as good or better for a "prog friendly MT" because Inner Release is much easier to use and cash in damage than ensuring your DRK doesn't just monkey mash their mana outside of raid buffs or misses breaking TBN because they gained more gear last week so TBN doesn't break the same anymore. I wouldn't say its wrong, just overly simplified like most big brain meta analysis for FFXIV is while also missing the bigger picture.

It is very playable and if you are really autistic you can thrive in speedkills according to fflogs which involves some super mega strats that I won't bother to explain, if you want to know read this. Also people tend to compare TBN and DRK differently for some stupid reason, TBN is an amazing button and probably the best singular tank CD in the game, but DRK as a whole kit is an example of how all the streamlining and trimming they did really gave it some stupid design choices and unless you go super autistic WAR is probably better. Also DRK doesn't gets its raid mitigation in SB Ultimates, while everyone else does, because reasons I guess.

Think of "Dark Knight bad" like saying "Machinist is bad"

Machinist is more or less objectively the worst dps in the game at top play if we look at data, it has perks in low percentile because uptime is super easy, but is it playable and can clear everything fine? Absolutely, but it is still the worst. FF14's balance is tight enough that it really doesn't matter what you play which has been the truth since after Gordias' release in HW really. It is only when you speed kill or whatever that balance matters, but that is just a given really. This is what I mean by missing the bigger picture. FFXIV for better and for worse isn't like most MMOs, you can't really "screw up" or "build wrong" and then play something that can't clear anything or if it can it is a massive hassle. That hasn't happened since 2.0 WAR and 3.0 PLD/AST pretty much.

Last edited:

Fcret

Ravioli Ravioli
kiwifarms.net

In general, things change often enough that jobs will outgrow their stereotypes long before those stereotypes are dispelled in the popular consciousness of the community.

A good example would be WAR. When 5.0 came out, WAR was by far the weakest of the tanks with the added hassle of having a completely different stat priority from the other tanks. This gave it a really bad reputation early on in the xpac and you'll still see casual players trashing it because they haven't kept up with the massive buffs it got in 5.3 and now 5.5.

Another example, but in the other direction, would be SCH. SCH spent so long at the top of the meta in Stormblood that you'd consistently see fairy andys swearing up and down that it was still meta even midway into Shadowbringers. The collective copium bubble from the scholar playerbase didn't really pop until relatively recently.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
I do, it's just shockingly surprising how FUBAR a single AV run can go just in the first room alone. If anyone's gotta run a AV group, they gotta know what to do while explaining what-to-do/where-to-step/ask if the group wants to kill the pods or let them spawn for more XP. But AV's loot ain't exactly anything to write home about and the Seedling minion's cheap on the MB.
AV isn't even that hard, just don't overpull, coincounter has some huge-ass 360 swing that will oneshot most classes (worse it's not telegraphed and you have to watch the cast bar while every attack has almost the same name. might be easy to see in moonrunes, but getting the difference between "10 tonze swipe, "100 tonze swipe" and "100 tonze swing" at a glance is a pain in the ass). for the final boss you gotta cleanse yourself. honestly that's stuff you can explain in less than a minute.

and it's not about the loot really, iirc you got extra exp for killing stuff on your level that even stacked, so doing a dungeon on the level it unlocks could give you crazy amounts of exp easily. AV is also the only dungeon in the 47-50 range. with a leveled squad you can just blast through there (although the AI was still infuriately retarded dying to that mentioned swing).

Yes, I can confirm the European's in the Moogle server have their shit together. Although I do hear a LOT of bitching about how terrible the french players are. Seems exaggerated to me.
helps to know that even french don't like each other, just ask any non-parisian what they think of those people. rest is probably confirmation bias, that fuckwad playing in english and not saying anything can be anyone, for "french" you either need them speak french in chat or people check out their client language.

Well shit thats a sad state of affairs. I've really been focused on solo stuff and only going into dungeons when the MSQ demands it so I'm not exactly spending a lot of time around other players. I guess I'll just keep on doing that. Not like I can't google answers for when I'm stuck.

But its nice to know the farms has a thread for the game and at least some sort of playerbase if I ever decide to stop being a hermit.
just check the wiki to understand how something works under the hood (not as a guide, but as a information resource), the rest is common sense really. it's not like you need to interact with other people that much to begin with.
also novice chat can be quite helpful, but apparently that varies wildly by shard.

Gravemind

kiwifarms.net
AV isn't even that hard, just don't overpull, coincounter has some huge-ass 360 swing that will oneshot most classes (worse it's not telegraphed and you have to watch the cast bar while every attack has almost the same name. might be easy to see in moonrunes, but getting the difference between "10 tonze swipe, "100 tonze swipe" and "100 tonze swing" at a glance is a pain in the ass). for the final boss you gotta cleanse yourself. honestly that's stuff you can explain in less than a minute.
Every attack Coincounter does is telegraphed now, and has been for quite some time.

Fcret

Ravioli Ravioli
kiwifarms.net
Abyssal Drain is fucking god tier for dungeons though, you can do wall to wall pulls getting 3 or more packs and just pop arms length and reprisal and when you get low hit an AD for a full heal then quietus/spin to win.
Dungeon meta would be more important if this game actually had hard dungeons. The fact that the XIV team essentially gave up making hard optional dungeons after Heavensward is one of my biggest pet peeves.

BarberFerdinand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hit 50 recently as dragoon(road to 70 is great). I've been playing with controller, but strongly considering moving over to keyboard. I like controller a lot for general purpose, but after hitting 50 and completing all available job stuff I looked up rotation stuff, and even after practicing a bit, it just feels bizarre with controller setup.

Fcret

Ravioli Ravioli
kiwifarms.net
So that's a yikes on the Activision news. XIV's servers were already congested but I feel like it's about to get a whole lot worse...

Hit 50 recently as dragoon(road to 70 is great). I've been playing with controller, but strongly considering moving over to keyboard. I like controller a lot for general purpose, but after hitting 50 and completing all available job stuff I looked up rotation stuff, and even after practicing a bit, it just feels bizarre with controller setup.
The key to playing well on controller is to put your abilities in the correct places and then build muscle memory. I usually put all of my GCDs on face buttons and memorize the correct order to press them in without needing to look at my hotbars. OGCDs go on the d-pad because it's really easy to use my other hand to press them in between the GCDs on the face buttons. Abilities with long cooldowns or situational uses go on the expanded cross hot bar. Playing with a controller is actually very easy in this game, even at a high-level.

Bookmark Cuck

Only mostly Jewish.
kiwifarms.net
Dungeon meta would be more important if this game actually had hard dungeons. The fact that the XIV team essentially gave up making hard optional dungeons after Heavensward is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Dungeons are harder if you decide to be a chad and pull as much as you can at once. Otherwise yeah they're easy.

Kane Lives

Peace through power
kiwifarms.net
Dungeons are harder if you decide to be a chad and pull as much as you can at once. Otherwise yeah they're easy.
I still clench my butt sometimes (as a healer) when some chad decides to pull wall to wall in either Malikah's or Qitana's Ravel, simply because your stats aren't quite overcapped due to level syncs, and some of my SCH tools are not online yet.

Beelzgrov

kiwifarms.net
I still clench my butt sometimes (as a healer) when some chad decides to pull wall to wall in either Malikah's or Qitana's Ravel, simply because your stats aren't quite overcapped due to level syncs, and some of my SCH tools are not online yet.
Plus, Patch dungeons tend to be extremely forgiving as the ilvl syncs tend to be much more inflated than their at-expansion-release dungeons counterparts. You can absolute easily pull wall-to-wall in the "The Ghimlyt Dark" without needing to resort to GCD heals during trash pulls if everyone somewhat play their jobs correctly (which a depressingly large percentage of the playerbase can't even do). You can absolutely hammer that dungeon without even dropping below even 50% health if you rotate your CDs correctly and the DPS actually doing their AOEs.

Now compare that "Baradam's Mettle" where double pulling is extremely taxing becauses enemies since enemies hit like a freight train, forcing the healer to curebot to keep you alive. Even if you rotate your CD the same way you did in the other dungeon, the healer wont have enough time to throw in DOTs without being too risky with the tank's HP.