Fire Emblem series -

LordDarkrai

I'm really feeling it!
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much due to the recent trailer today, I figured to start a thread on the series. What's your history with the series? What's your favorite out of them. Stuff like that. Favorite is Awakening through I need to get my hand on the Gamecube game and the first GBA game.

Recent trailer is here.

Conrix

"KIWIFAGS REEEEEEE"
kiwifarms.net
I've been wanting to make this thread but I didn't know how well it'd be received. My history with the series is basically, bought the first US release in 2004, the cartridge melted under a lamp (what I get for letting a 7 year old borrow it at the time) before I could finish it, later on I barely tried Fire Emblem for NES, played them on emulators, then eventually got Awakening and played the shit out of one save on casual mode to the point where the tactician can't technically level up anymore because he's overpowered enough.

The new 3DS game's looking like it'll be a good successor to Awakening.

• Feels
Reactions: John Titor

ASoulMan

It's time for assembly...FROM HELL!!!
kiwifarms.net
The new game looks interesting. Part of me wants to try out Awakening, but it feels like Waifu/Husbando: The Game to me after looking it up. I'm thinking about downloading either Rekka no Ken or Sacred Stones via Virtual Console though.

Conrix

"KIWIFAGS REEEEEEE"
kiwifarms.net
The new game looks interesting. Part of me wants to try out Awakening, but it feels like Waifu/Husbando: The Game to me after looking it up. I'm thinking about downloading either Rekka no Ken or Sacred Stones via Virtual Console though.
Awakening is basically Waifu/Husbando: The Game because the story has children from the future; it's worth it to make Robin and Cherche elope to get Morgan and fucking NightwingGerome though. I was mainly attracted to how you can make anyone the tactician and build them in any way you want, and stayed for the ability to recruit my favorite characters from past Fire Emblem games (mostly Lyn)...and of course StreetPass Waifu Wars with an army of Pegasi.

I have Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones on my "poor man's virtual console", mainly for experimentation purposes.
Edit: I'm also trying to beat Blazing Sword without any units dying, and trying to recruit everyone I can.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ASoulMan

Naamaleipuri

Has ugly pecs that creep everybody out
kiwifarms.net
My first introduction to the series was Path of Radiance that I borrowed from my sister. I also tried Radiant Dawn, but didn't finish it. Then I forgot about the series until last year when I impulsively bought Awakening.
I think it's a solid SRPG and one of the better games on the 3DS, pretty much a must have if you even casually enjoy RPGs.
I really hope we get a customizable avatar in the next Fire Emblem game too. It's just a personal preference, but I really enjoy a PoV character even if they have less impact on the plot.

By the way if anyone is interested there's a fan translation of Fire Emblem 12 downloadable from http://www.heroesofshadow.net/p/downloads.html
You still need to download an emulator and the rom yourself.

TheProdigalStunna

Fucking destruction
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Love the Fire Emblem games. My favorite is definitely Radiant Dawn. So much depth in gameplay, very difficult yet fair at the same time, and a great storyline to boot. I only recently got into the series, and Awakening was my introduction. I love it too and it definitely has the best cast of the series, but I do think that the difficulty doesn't feel as balanced (either piss-easy or balls-hard), and it lacks some features that others had (less variety of weapons/magic, less interesting terrains, etc.)

The new game looks interesting. Part of me wants to try out Awakening, but it feels like Waifu/Husbando: The Game to me after looking it up.
It totally is. Not like I have a problem with that.:heart-full:

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy strategy rpgs, but my first love and background with the genre is the Shining Force series (RIP) So maybe that's why the Fire Emblem games have never really clicked with me.
I respect what's good about them, and totally understand the appeal, but there's just something about the overall game balance that prevented me from getting fully sucked in.

The first one I played, and imo, the best is Blazing Sword, it was the first released over here and just went by the name Fire Emblem.
I really didn't like the Gamecube one at all, but Awaking deserves all the praise it gets.
Unfortunately for me, the waifu/husbando stuff really doesn't do it for me, but it's what the fans seem to want so more power to them I guess.

Conrix

"KIWIFAGS REEEEEEE"
kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately for me, the waifu/husbando stuff really doesn't do it for me, but it's what the fans seem to want so more power to them I guess.
I don't really like it so much as I acknowledge it as part of the story and don't really give a crap about it besides for Morgan and Gerome. I bought Awakening without even knowing I'd get to marry in it until fucking Sully elopes with Chrom and has Lucina after kicking Plegia's ass, then I decide to make Anna my waifu and produce a daughteru (whatever that's called) who can move over most terrain like it's a completely flat world, and Cherche with Virion for fucking Nightwing. I may not personally like or dislike it, but with how the children take traits from their parents it's kind of a neat system to play with.

LordDarkrai

I'm really feeling it!
kiwifarms.net
New trailer on Fire Emblem If.

I'm really digging the paths idea. It sounds a lot more story-focused which is good.

• Agree

Hodor

z-list shitposter
kiwifarms.net
Awakening was fun but honestly ridiculously easy to break, and the waifubait was 2stronk. Story turned to shit towards the end too- or even when you think about how they never really utilized the future kid thing. The constant allusions to the Arkenia duology was kinda annoying, especially since it felt like they were building up to a much larger pay-off. Should've just done a larger timeskip, and better incorporated Tiki into the storyline, which would've at least made the story make more sense. Doesn't help there wasn't much mission variety, too.

Seisen no Keifu is legit 10/10, and probably the peak of the franchise.

I'm really hoping If fixes a lot of Awakening's problems. Mainly make it so the game's balance is at least not hideously lop-sided to your Avatar. Or, hell, at least make it so the Avatar doesn't end up being a narrative black hole.

ASoulMan

It's time for assembly...FROM HELL!!!
kiwifarms.net
the dream is dead

I'm wondering what the hell were they thinking when they decided to turn SMTxFE into this.

It doesn't even look like a crossover. Like, at all.

Now If on the other hand, looks like it'll be awesome. It appears they're going for a Pokemon approach when it comes to splitting the game into two separate installments (in Japan at least). Sucks we have to wait until 2016, I wanted to get it this year.

Last edited:

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I played FE: Awakening for a while. But I don't know, after playing through most of the game, I couldn't really bring myself to finish it.

The story had promise from what I could tell, but it just didn't hold my attention. Most of the characters kinda suffer the same problem games like Chrono Cross had in that they each had some sort of gimmick to them and there wasn't much else to them. That's not to say ALL the characters are like that.

And I had mixed feelings for the "characters die permanently" rule this game and it's predecessors had. On one hand, it's a good incentive to play smart and adds a bit of challenge to the game, but it makes the game really stressful to me. At the same time, I didn't really want to save scum as that would make the whole thing pointless and make me feel like I was cheating. I also didn't want to turn off that option as it felt like I wasn't playing the game how it was intended.

Which is strange for me to say as I loved Valkyria Chronicles. Although that game was more forgiving when it came to members of your squad getting killed.

One thing I did like was the little conversations your characters can have with each other. And the whole future kid thing was kinda neat, but the levels to get them I find feel too tedious to get through.

I don't know, I guess the game just wasn't for me.

SuperFilter

You got it, big boy.
kiwifarms.net
My favorite series, if it wasn't obvious.
Started with Blazing Sword, played all the games so far.
I've got a love-hate relationship with Awakening. On one hand it saved the series, on the other it's far from the series magum opus people claim it to be (both on gameplay and writing) and it brought about the hellish hordes of waifuism to join the already very toxic shipping communities. I've seen ship VS waifu combat for fuck's sake.
Pretty hyped for FE14 since it's looking a lot better on many levels. The crossover trailer was horrible, as a fan of SMT as well I'm disgusted, and I seriously hope it was just a bad trailer and that there's more to this trainwreck than Persona Idol Adventures ft. Marth&Roy.

MiloWuCollusion

kiwifarms.net
My favorite series, if it wasn't obvious.
Started with Blazing Sword, played all the games so far.
I've got a love-hate relationship with Awakening. On one hand it saved the series, on the other it's far from the series magum opus people claim it to be (both on gameplay and writing) and it brought about the hellish hordes of waifuism to join the already very toxic shipping communities. I've seen ship VS waifu combat for fuck's sake.
Pretty hyped for FE14 since it's looking a lot better on many levels. The crossover trailer was horrible, as a fan of SMT as well I'm disgusted, and I seriously hope it was just a bad trailer and that there's more to this trainwreck than Persona Idol Adventures ft. Marth&Roy.
Being fair, the SMT/Persona community has also become pretty toxic about waifus, combat, pander or not pander BS. I enjoy most SMT/Persona/SpinOffs games so always weirds me out people feeling threatened by animu waifus or first person dungeons.

I feel the trailer has a lot of clues that is not going to be only IdolsAdventure (the ruined city at the end and the "shadows"that look like past FE characters ), and they truly fucked it up to reveal this after that cheap grimm teaser years ago. But the drama and overreaction have been worth it

• Agree
S

SU 390

kiwifarms.net
My first intro to the Fire Emblem series was Super Smash Bros. Melee when I unlocked Marth and Roy. Reading their trophies made me interested in the series. I temp owned Path of Radiance. It was interesting and fun, but the permanent death rule just makes the games stressful. Though they teach how to be strategic and make better choices.

StoneKnightMan

EVIL HITLER WHORE
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone noticed fire emblem echos: shadows of Valentina?

It's a 3ds remake of fire emblem gaiden for the NES but was only released in Japan at that time.

Plus here's a fun fact:

Did you all know that the fire emblem series was made by intelligent systems? They're the same people that made the paper mario games.

• Agree
Tags
None