Fire Emblem series -

Flaming Insignias

You Know My Name
kiwifarms.net
Started three houses: what route should I start with
Blue Lions, I’d say. I feel it has the best story, and the other routes either proved to be too short (Crimson Flower) or too similar to each other (GD and Church). Also, do not for the life of you look at the subreddit. It’s mostly Edelstans spamming “wholesome” yuri shit and coming up with yet another “Edelgard did nothing wrong!” post.

DarkWeenix

The Autist formerly known as MemeGray
kiwifarms.net
Has anybody here played Fire emblem Warriors? I enjoy those kinda games and Hyrule warriors was one of the better ones, does it stand up to that?

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
Blue Lions, I’d say. I feel it has the best story, and the other routes either proved to be too short (Crimson Flower) or too similar to each other (GD and Church). Also, do not for the life of you look at the subreddit. It’s mostly Edelstans spamming “wholesome” yuri shit and coming up with yet another “Edelgard did nothing wrong!” post.
Correction, it's a mix of Edelstans and people who think Edelgard is hitler, in constant war with each other.

Forever.

Flaming Insignias

You Know My Name
kiwifarms.net
so which side is right?
I would say that neither is fully “right”, but Edelstans are much more prominent than “literally Hitler” critics. I personally think Edie works best as a tragic villain as seen in every route other than CF, with BL doing that best by contrasting her flaws turning into villainy with Dimitri’s virtues helping him rebound from his madness.

Sable

kiwifarms.net
I would say that neither is fully “right”, but Edelstans are much more prominent than “literally Hitler” critics. I personally think Edie works best as a tragic villain as seen in every route other than CF, with BL doing that best by contrasting her flaws turning into villainy with Dimitri’s virtues helping him rebound from his madness.
Edelgard when you're on a non CF-route is a lot like Arvis, or maybe Walhart.

Well, not quite as evil as Arvis...

Flaming Insignias

You Know My Name
kiwifarms.net
Edelgard when you're on a non CF-route is a lot like Arvis, or maybe Walhart.

Well, not quite as evil as Arvis...
I feel that Arvis is a better Edelgard. He shows the repercussions of his ambitions for a better world biting him in the ass, which CF fails to provide, and his relationship with his shadow benefactors is much more clearly one of pressure rather than advantage, which is something the Dubsteppers fail at, since they seem more like puppets used by Edelgard and promptly disposed of. Edelgard using the Slithers hurts the idea that her abuses were on them, since they don’t seem strong enough to make her do anything that she wouldn’t do anyway.

d12

It's pronounced 'gif'
kiwifarms.net
Hoes mad lol

But on a more serious level the new DLC for Three Houses was announced in tandem with the Smash announcement. They're adding a new 'fourth house' and an accompanying side story with them. I'm interested to see what they do with the new story content considering how self contained the base story is.

Silver Chariot

Oi Josuke! I used ZA HANDO to erase our avatars!
kiwifarms.net
Apparently in the new DLC you only get Ashe, Linhardt, Hilda, the 3 house leaders, and the 4 new characters. That's it.

AzuraAquafina

The Naga clan got some nice violet lovedolls ;)
kiwifarms.net
I just finished Cindered Shadows and it was not worth $25 with costumes and shit.

The gameplay is a mixed bag for me. On one hand, I'm glad they removed the excessive amount of customization and padded out gameplay the monastery on top of a slightly higher difficulty. On the other hand, a lot of the maps are reused and are tediously designed.

Chapter 3, for instance, is atrocious. You have this long-ass map full of monsters that respawns every now and then. You're presented with three "switches". One of them ends the map but the other two spawn a bunch of enemies and debuffs your movement. There's a small detail that hints which one is the right one, but it is so obscure that it might as well not be there.

I would say 3 out of the 7 chapters in the side story are actually good. However, the ratio and quality is not even my biggest grievance with the gameplay. Divine Pulse in the base game is pretty counterintuitive. I'm not against having them, but the overabundance makes classic mode pointless. In Cindered Shadows, you're given 5 Divine Pulses and no more. While I prefer 5 over 15, the game is still heavily designed around Divine Pulse. The devs of 3TH really do not understand the point of permadeath. It's not there to punish the player by shortening the roster, it's there to punish the player with weaker units or to compensate for unlucky RNG. Just some examples:
If you lost Palla or Catria, you had Est.
If you lost Vanessa or Lute, you had Tana and Selah.
If you lost Arthur or Effie, you had Charlotte and Benny.
In Cindered Shadows, you don't even recruit more units as you progress outside of the DLC characters. Ashe can't act as a replacement for Claude because they have the same availability and serve different functions as an archer. One of them can canto while the other has a higher range.

I know a bunch of glue sniffers are going to compare this to Conquest, but the difference between the two is that Conquest's difficulty is well designed. Cindered Shadows' difficulty isn't difficult, it's just tedious.

Yuri: Looks way too similar to Leon and Lyon. He was fine for the most part until chapter 6. He also reminds of Claude, but unlike Claude, he actually felt like a schemer. Although, his schemes felt pretty re.tarded narratively.
Balthus: Not much to say other than his "[Insert adjective here] King of Grappling" quirk got kinda grating.
Constance: She was my least favorite character. I guess it's because her quirk is kinda dumb. She reminds me of L'arachel and Ferdinand, except I actually like L'arachel and Ferdinand.
Hapi: Probably my favorite out of the four. She didn't go out of her make herself quirky. Granted she does have this weird ability to summon monsters by sighing for some reason, but it didn't annoy me one bit.

The story is pretty mediocre. It was okay in the beginning but it really dropped the ball near the end.

The """"""twist"""""" is very reminiscent of Fates. Not only did the game feel the need to fucking tell you there's a traitor, but it was also fucking obvious who it was.

Since someone awhile ago mentioned the subreddit, I can confirm that it's full to the brim with Edelstans. I remember someone sharing their annoyance of Edelgard covering up a literal war crime and some Edelstan comes in to tell them that it isn't even that bad compared to whatever Claude or Dimitri did even though those two weren't even mentioned by the user. They are that defensive over their waifu.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hapi: Probably my favorite out of the four. She didn't go out of her make herself quirky. Granted she does have this weird ability to summon monsters by sighing for some reason, but it didn't annoy me one bit.
That's really interesting, she was by far my least favorite. Her snark got old fast and she looks like she was designed by a tumblr user. That said, I didn't really like any of the characters that much and she might grow on me in the supports, considering I haven't done any of them yet. They just felt out of place compared to the rest of Three Houses. Even worse than that, though, the entire story felt out of place. A secret fourth house? Trying to revive Byleth's mother, who was retconned as being buried in the Abyss? Another evil Church member? None of this mattering to the main story? I would have preferred for them to have added content to Crimson Flowers and reworked Silver Snow at this point.

Last edited:

Sable

kiwifarms.net
I'm not done yet, I'm liking it so far though.

I do agree CF/SS needed more love though.

AzuraAquafina

The Naga clan got some nice violet lovedolls ;)
kiwifarms.net
That's really interesting, she was by far my least favorite. Her snark got old fast and she looks like she was designed by a tumblr user. That said, I didn't really like any of the characters that much and she might grow on me in the supports, considering I haven't done any of them yet. They just felt out of place compared to the rest of Three Houses. Even worse than that, though, the entire story felt out of place. A secret fourth house? Trying to revive Byleth's mother, who was retconned as being buried in the Abyss? Another evil Church member? None of this mattering to the main story? I would have preferred for them to have added content to Crimson Flowers and reworked Silver Snow at this point.
Maybe I should have reworded that sentence. Even though she's my favorite out of the four, she's nowhere near my favorite 3H character, let alone favorite FE character. That award belongs to Ferdinand and Sigurd.
Her design definitely looks like something from Tumblr, I won't disagree with that. However, Most of the character designs from the game are already pretty pandery, so having another character like this is just a dime in a dozen for me. The only reason why Balthus wasn't my favorite DLC character is that they didn't go into depth over Hapi's Lysithea tiered backstory. I know that's an extremely unpopular opinion, but I mean, I don't like 3H's writing to begin with so...

the entire story felt out of place. A secret fourth house? Trying to revive Byleth's mother, who was retconned as being buried in the Abyss? Another evil Church member? None of this mattering to the main story?
It's a side story and DLC. I'm not exactly sure what your expectations were. If they didn't release Cindered Shadows then most people would agree that this was a scam. The writers had very little room to begin with since it's seven chapters long, so taking some liberties with what's already been established while trying to avoid stepping on the toes of the main story doesn't really ruin the story, at least for me. Think of 3H like Thracia 776. While many would consider the latter as canonical to FE4 despite the massive retconning, it's really more of a permutation of events. Each house in 3H is a permutation and the Ashen Wolves are no different. CF is a permutation of Edelgard surviving, AM is a permutation of Dimitri surviving, and CS is a permutation of the war potentially being prevented.

Honestly, if Cindered Shadows were 10 chapters that had the same gameplay quality as early Conquest chapters but with the writing quality of Revelation then I would have been satisfied. Maybe we have different perspectives, but the glaring flaws in 3H come from the razor-thin spread of resources. Do you want to know why CF felt rushed? Or why VW and SS are very similar? Or why the DLC as a whole was a massive disappointment? It's because 3H is an SRPG with four splitting paths. It wants to include dating sim aspects with full voice acting and it also wants to have a dark PG-13 story. It wants to be like FE4, yet it borrowed some of the worst aspects of it. It's a game that was overly ambitious, so of course it's going to be mediocre in some places.

Reactions: chocolategingerale

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's a side story and DLC. I'm not exactly sure what your expectations were. If they didn't release Cindered Shadows then most people would agree that this was a scam. The writers had very little room to begin with since it's seven chapters long, so taking some liberties with what's already been established while trying to avoid stepping on the toes of the main story doesn't really ruin the story, at least for me. Think of 3H like Thracia 776. While many would consider the latter as canonical to FE4 despite the massive retconning, it's really more of a permutation of events. Each house in 3H is a permutation and the Ashen Wolves are no different. CF is a permutation of Edelgard surviving, AM is a permutation of Dimitri surviving, and CS is a permutation of the war potentially being prevented.

Honestly, if Cindered Shadows were 10 chapters that had the same gameplay quality as early Conquest chapters but with the writing quality of Revelation then I would have been satisfied. Maybe we have different perspectives, but the glaring flaws in 3H come from the razor-thin spread of resources. Do you want to know why CF felt rushed? Or why VW and SS are very similar? Or why the DLC as a whole was a massive disappointment? It's because 3H is an SRPG with four splitting paths. It wants to include dating sim aspects with full voice acting and it also wants to have a dark PG-13 story. It wants to be like FE4, yet it borrowed some of the worst aspects of it. It's a game that was overly ambitious, so of course it's going to be mediocre in some places.
It's not that its just a side story, it's that it's a side story that introduces questionable content to the lore and doesn't make much sense. Why not a DLC in Dagda, Brigid, or (even better) Morfis? Why has no one talked about this fourth house until now? Why is it so easy to find them? Why did we not hear about the apostles until they were introduced (I think) in an update? They had tons of opportunities to do a side story in a unique location and culture and instead we got this.

A side story wasn't even my preferred DLC, they seriously needed to focus on adding content to CF and SS. But at the very least tie the side story into the main story a bit, like doing a DLC on a culture we've heard about but haven't seen.

Tags
None