Fire Emblem series -

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
so I take it important characters have different personalities and levels of morality depending on whether you choose their route? that's kinda disappointing to know actually. having a game with five different perspectives and ideologies to choose from would be interesting if they were consistent across all playthroughs. it sounds like the devs wanted you to feel 100% vindicated no matter what choice you made. that and a popularity spike are the perfect recipe for idiotic fan wars. everybody is completely right and everybody is literally hitler because depending on the route they actually ARE.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
so I take it important characters have different personalities and levels of morality depending on whether you choose their route? that's kinda disappointing to know actually. having a game with five different perspectives and ideologies to choose from would be interesting if they were consistent across all playthroughs. it sounds like the devs wanted you to feel 100% vindicated no matter what choice you made. that and a popularity spike are the perfect recipe for idiotic fan wars. everybody is completely right and everybody is literally hitler because depending on the route they actually ARE.
Simply speaking with loose spoilers, as I doubt you care about spoilers.

Edelgard is very much a "the ends justify the means" sort of leader. In her mind Fodlan is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen so she goes to big extremes to ensure the time bomb goes off when she thinks she can fix the issue due to her super human abilities that have cursed her with an (implied) limited life span of maybe a decade at best. She has something of a savior complex and is trying to play 4D chess and ultimately just wants to fight the church and the mole people/dark wizards of this game, the other nations get in the way for one reason or another.

Dimitri is a person with very noble virtues that ultimately goes insane eventually due to personal trauma that fuels his noble virtues and eventually takes those virtues to a very violent turn in 3 of 4 routes. He wants Edelgard's head due to a big misunderstanding that Edelgard sort of creates due to her flaws as a person that focuses too much on trying to save Fodlan.

Claude is more or less a progressive good boy that wants everyone to unite and have open contact with the rest of the world, what little we hear of it, it is implied that Fodlan isn't exactly a very open nation and has little clue what exists outside of its borders because of its political issues. He has very nicey nice ideals that most sane people think are okay and reasonable, he is objectively the least insane and the one you'll like the most more likely then not as a person. He is also underutilized as shit and over hyped for being some galaxy brained master tactician in a game with really shitty maps.

Rhea/The Church represents a fairly reasonable sounding religion at a glance that is built off a lie, but a very useful lie for the time that ultimately ends up causing problems many generations later. Rhea is kind of a person that is too lost in her own secret goals for the church (that also have some questionable morality) to really care about the world that her church is supposed to lead, and everyone around her just follows her blindly for one reason or another. Rhea is meant to ultimately guide everyone, but fails due to her traumatic emotional issues, she is also quite crazy.

Mole people are bad, they're the dark wizards, the Nergal, the evil cult, they're just bad straight up no questions asked and are explained like shit.

I ultimately get why Edelgard starts the war, I think she has a lot of short sighted moments (Oh wait commoners need education to advance in a matriarcy? oops) and I feel the mole people being explained terribly makes her whole shadow war with them also kind of shit which makes her look more like a dip shit then she is supposed to be. I personally wish this game focused on her as she has interesting potential. Route games are a mistake.

Lodoss Warrior

Enduring the Kung Flu for Lodoss
kiwifarms.net
I thought Ferdinand did criticize her. Then again, I think that was the A support, so overall Ferdinand was left in the dark about every action, so what more could he do? As for Hubert, that dude is like a legit murderer. The man hires hitmen and reviles at the idea of killing people, making him extremely shady company that Edelgard for some reason places trust in. Made more weird by the fact that he disobeys her constantly to pull underhand tactics.

Also, forgot to bring up the fact that she never tries to reason with the other houses or really her own. Anyone remember the scene from Remire where the Flame Emperor asks Byleth and class to join. No matter what you say, she will automatically default to going alone. She pulls a whole “you are lying” shtick if you say you want to help, proving how absolutely unreasonable she is as she could have had Claude or Dimitri’s help.
What I love most is how, even in her route, she'll ambush the entire party at the Holy Mausoleum and try to kill Byleth and the rest of her classmates for daring to stop her from stealing the Crest Stones. Like, way to throw your friends under the bus without even bothering to explain yourself.

Then again Byleth still simps for her in the CF route, so who's the real fool?

• Agree
Reactions: Flaming Insignias

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
What I love most is how, even in her route, she'll ambush the entire party at the Holy Mausoleum and try to kill Byleth and the rest of her classmates for daring to stop her from stealing the Crest Stones. Like, way to throw your friends under the bus without even bothering to explain yourself.

The player for picking that route.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net

I personally blame that on IS' laziness and unwilligness to give us a different map for chapter 11 if you want to actually side with Edelgard.

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
Claude is more or less a progressive good boy that wants everyone to unite and have open contact with the rest of the world, what little we hear of it, it is implied that Fodlan isn't exactly a very open nation and has little clue what exists outside of its borders because of its political issues. He has very nicey nice ideals that most sane people think are okay and reasonable, he is objectively the least insane and the one you'll like the most more likely then not as a person. He is also underutilized as shit and over hyped for being some galaxy brained master tactician in a game with really shitty maps.
Claude gets played up as being brilliant while constantly leaning on the Professor and frequently mentioning that he does just that. In the end all of his talk of goodness, uniting, and opening borders gives himself a huge amount of power and his real family more influence. Sure it's overall better but he's still getting his slice, nobody ever mentions that when talking about him.

I'd rather they focused primarily on one storyline with sub-choices of who you can work with or fight against for more in depth options myself. It would let the story be deeper but they didn't.

Reactions: X-Shaped Weeaboo

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
Claude gets played up as being brilliant while constantly leaning on the Professor and frequently mentioning that he does just that. In the end all of his talk of goodness, uniting, and opening borders gives himself a huge amount of power and his real family more influence. Sure it's overall better but he's still getting his slice, nobody ever mentions that when talking about him.

I'd rather they focused primarily on one storyline with sub-choices of who you can work with or fight against for more in depth options myself. It would let the story be deeper but they didn't.
Supposedly Claude is more nihilistic in the Japanese translation and his big "We will unite together" moment around the end is Claude's advancement to believing in someone considering his shitty upbringing making him believe he had to be a loner who fought by himself, that upbringing though is shockingly enough the most tame upbringing of the 4 main faction leaders.

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
Supposedly Claude is more nihilistic in the Japanese translation and his big "We will unite together" moment around the end is Claude's advancement to believing in someone considering his shitty upbringing making him believe he had to be a loner who fought by himself, that upbringing though is shockingly enough the most tame upbringing of the 4 main faction leaders.
That would make a lot more sense. He constantly spews smoke and lies through his teeth so a more noted admission that he didn't believe his own hype would've made him more interesting. The english version he just seems like a populist doin' what a populist does.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
That would make a lot more sense. He constantly spews smoke and lies through his teeth so a more noted admission that he didn't believe his own hype would've made him more interesting. The english version he just seems like a populist doin' what a populist does.
I think with better animations (especially facial animations) we could get an idea through Claude's body language that he talks a good load of shit, but only half believes it. It is more an ideal he wants, as opposed to an ideal he believes, and he tries to keep that front to get to that ideal while only partly believing it himself. The issue is Claude only seems to fail because Byleth + lord can just steamroll his army so Claude only seems to fail because he is out gunned and not because his leadership is questionable which undersells Claude's flaws.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
so I take it important characters have different personalities and levels of morality depending on whether you choose their route?
Only Edelgard and Rhea...
Claude acts the same no matter what and so does Seteth.

Dimitri is also relatively unchanged between routes as he goes beast mode in every route. The only thing Byleth does is get him to return to normal which is just an arch and justification for why one should choose him. So technically he changes, but not automatically. You get the boar no matter what.

El and Rhea essentially go off the deep end if you decide to go against them. Byleth seems to be the only thing that gives them any level of reason ability or compassion.

Claude gets played up as being brilliant while constantly leaning on the Professor and frequently mentioning that he does just that.
I mean, he did bring in Almyra somehow, which was a power move.

I have no idea why the Flame Emperor disguise was off in her version of the map. It really just comes off terrible that she actively wants to kill them, instead of her trying to hide still.

Byleth still simps for her in the CF route
She simps for Byleth! That is why people like her, remember her 4 year old crayon drawing of her lesbian wife. Her personality takes a complete 180 if Byleth joins, making her this game’s Biggest Simp!

Reactions: Peru oso donas

Markorian

kiwifarms.net
Three Houses is a great game, but it is also the highest selling of the series, meaning bad fans were inevitable. Three Houses, for better or worse, took a dive into the casual market, the one that likely made Persona 5 such a hit, and as such has a similar fan base of those who worship it. I mean, FE3H literally stole mechanics from P5, so the crossover was likely to happen.

The cast in 3H is actually pretty solid all around, some may claim even the best, so people took to them pretty quickly. As for why Edelgard specifically gets the fan base she has, it is due to her inconsistent writing, a problem that three out of the five main leaders suffer from, with Claude and Seteth remaining consistent and understandable, Dimitri being more on the iffy side, but relatively solid, and El and Rhea darting all over the place in terms of personality. Most get very defensive of Edelgard because they want to believe that she is fully in the right, but her personality darts so rapidly between routes that it is impossible to fully understand any motive, so saying she is squeaky clean is laughable. Dimitri and Claude fans seem to pile on El as well since those two characters are more or less in the right, that it creates super defensive El fans that sell their soul to her. She is also lesbian, so many are in it for representation or hot Byleth and El crotch play, completely clouding their judgement.

For more context to the above, and why she is controversial.
El works with shady figures that boil down to the game’s Nazis of sorts to gain power.

The beginning has bandits she hired chasing down school students to kill them.

The people she works with try to kill the students, kill Byleth’s father, set a village on fire and make zombies of the people, and are responsible for genocide on dragon people.

She starts a war and is unrelenting, killing multiple innocents in the process and destroying Fodland.

She never questions her ideals and completely believes her war is just.

Many think she is bringing freedom, but in reality she is going to handpick nobility herself, likely leading to a system just as bad as the crest system she hates. But hey atleast you are not put in power for a crest symbol you are born with, but instead because you are friends with El and her elected officials.

She also hates the crest system for her being tortured and given cancer with an implementation of another crest, the only issue is that the people who did that to her are the people she works with at the beginning of the game, not the church she wants to tear down.

Her fans defend every action when she is rightfully called out because she is just so UWU adorable, short lesbian gf. Did you see that she made a picture for Byleth, omg, such wife material. I think you get my point.
The problem with most edelgard fanboys is that they've only played her route. It's a route that features blatant misinformation given to the player that you'd only realize is propaganda if you've played another route. CF should 100% have been locked to a ng+ mode, and that would have drastically improved the 3h community.

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
The problem with most edelgard fanboys is that they've only played her route. It's a route that features blatant misinformation given to the player that you'd only realize is propaganda if you've played another route. CF should 100% have been locked to a ng+ mode, and that would have drastically improved the 3h community.
Not necessarily. Many hear the story and say Rhea is the propaganda machine and is the ultimate liar. I guess Seteth getting rid of books is their trump card for Rhea bad and liar.

CrippleThreat

At least my third leg is still working.
kiwifarms.net
CF should 100% have been locked to a ng+ mode, and that would have drastically improved the 3h community.
Sounds solid, but then comes the issue of people whining that "I put everything into Edelgard and Hubert, and they're gone! They were my best units! Wah." And some will just dislike the restriction; why do I have do play on NG+ (difficulty elitists and other such fellows)?

Markorian

kiwifarms.net

AzuraAquafina

The Naga clan got some nice violet lovedolls ;)
kiwifarms.net
As for Hubert, that dude is like a legit murderer. The man hires hitmen and reviles at the idea of killing people, making him extremely shady company that Edelgard for some reason places trust in. Made more weird by the fact that he disobeys her constantly to pull underhand tactics.
I might have agreed with you if you were talking about the Death Knight. A character like Hubert is supposed to illustrate the more pragmatic and ruthless side of Edelgard's route so it isn't out of line for him to use underhanded tactics. I can't really find that many examples of him disobeying her other than in a few supports. Even then, his actions within these supports are only done to lighten the burden for Edelgard not because he's a shady guy.

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
I can't really find that many examples of him disobeying her other than in a few supports.
Their support together mentions it. Edelgard is very concerned over Hubert not letting her in and hiding things from her. Hubert replies that he will not tell her things when she tells him to spill. The game does not have much evidence, but their support made it an issue, so it really does place some question as to why Edelgard places trust into someone she is clearly weary of and that does things behind her back.

Even then, his actions within these supports are only done to lighten the burden for Edelgard not because he's a shady guy.
She sort of tells him to stop, or at least let her know. I believe he also told one of the students, likely Ferdinand, that he does things with no input or knowledge given to Edelgard. I get he is lightening the burden, but it does seem like a shaky relationship.

I might have agreed with you if you were talking about the Death Knight. A character like Hubert is supposed to illustrate the more pragmatic and ruthless side of Edelgard's route so it isn't out of line for him to use underhanded tactics.
Cannot disagree. My main point was that Hubert does not set a good image for El, and that many fans will sort of ignore it. I actually like Hubert as a character and he was the only driving force that made CF interesting other than a few moments with El, but he is certainly shady and his confrontational approach of scaring fellow classmates really does put El’s judgement on allies into question.

Lodoss Warrior

Enduring the Kung Flu for Lodoss
kiwifarms.net
Well, damn, I know I said Chaz definitely has some skeletons in his closet, but I didn't expect it to be this fast:
TL:biggrin:R
The guy who most vocally was for cancelling Mangs over flirting badly and putting his arm over the waist of a girl he was sharing a bed with at a con is being accused of actual rape.
Damn indeed. Guy gave me far worse of an impression than Mangs ever did, but the snake shouldn't be eating itself this quickly...

Mind you, there's still no evidence besides a few screencaps. Let's see how this goes.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
Well, damn, I know I said Chaz definitely has some skeletons in his closet, but I didn't expect it to be this fast:
TL:biggrin:R
The guy who most vocally was for cancelling Mangs over flirting badly and putting his arm over the waist of a girl he was sharing a bed with at a con is being accused of actual rape.
It seems current opinion is that this is an old accusation that has already been disproved, so I doubt this will go anywhere.

AzuraAquafina

The Naga clan got some nice violet lovedolls ;)
kiwifarms.net
Their support together mentions it. Edelgard is very concerned over Hubert not letting her in and hiding things from her. Hubert replies that he will not tell her things when she tells him to spill. The game does not have much evidence, but their support made it an issue, so it really does place some question as to why Edelgard places trust into someone she is clearly weary of and that does things behind her back.

She sort of tells him to stop, or at least let her know. I believe he also told one of the students, likely Ferdinand, that he does things with no input or knowledge given to Edelgard. I get he is lightening the burden, but it does seem like a shaky relationship.
You misinterpreted their support. The latter half of their support revolves around Hubert's inability to express his personal self to others like a normal human being rather than him being shady behind her back.

It's pretty clear she does trust him as an asset/ally and just wants to have a semi-normal relationship, at least within this dialogue exchange.
Hubert: In that case, Lady Edelgard, I ask you to turn a blind eye to my secrets. They are trifles, beneath your notice. Best I handle them alone. You should focus on the path ahead of you. The scarlet path I have carefully prepared. Whether that path is red with blood is not something you need trouble yourself over.

Edelgard: As emperor, I'm obliged to accept that answer. However, as your friend, it irritates me to no end. You speak often of painting the path I walk, yet you do so in secret. I am the one you serve, but you refuse to let me in. I trust you, Hubert, and that is precisely why I want to know everything, your secret hopes and burdens. All of it. If I'm truly the center of your world, then I wish you would trust me as well as I trust you.
I parsed through their support a few times including his other supports and I have yet to find a mention of Edelgard acknowledging him doing things behind her back. And really, I don't see how one would conclude that Edelgard's trust in him is questionable within the vacuum of this one support.

For future reference, use the FE wiki to read on supports rather than going by memory. I've compared some of the supports posted on there to the base game and I have yet to find any misinformation. There are videos on Youtube that compile all of the supports for each character if you want a more reliable alternative.

Tags
None