Five Nights At Freddy's -

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The comedy bits were a nice touch. The "Angsty Teen" part was pretty funny.

I definitely agree. Comedy and horror go very well together, and using comedy to defuse some of the tension in a horror movie/game can be very effective (especially if it's followed by something that immediately raises the tension again).

The cheesy vampire soap opera was pretty great, but I really liked the running gag where you had to type something on malfunctioning keyboard and the AI would "correct" you (interpreting your name as "Eggs Benedict," giving you the "casual bongos" musical choice, and assuming that you wanted the "exotic butters" gift basket). Hearing about how greedy and evil the corporation that owns the restaurant is was entertaining as well (giving you a gift basket as a reward only to inform you that the cost of it is coming out of your next paycheck actually sounds like something a particularly shitty company might do).

swingbatta

aaaaaaaaaa
kiwifarms.net
I think Scott ended up using some of the time between FNAF 4 and Sister Location to research other games; both FNAF 4 and FNAF World were obvious attempts to branch out into a different game format, but they both fell flat. But Sister Location definitely has elements of Portal and even Job Simulator. IMO, the similarities were a little heavy-handed, but it felt more like following a technique to learn instead of rip-off.

Loved the story, though--I've liked that aspect throughout the series--and the voice acting was spot-on.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That was something I kinda appreciate about these games. They never took themselves 100% seriously. I mean the sound of children cheering after spending what feels like forever in a very dark and hostile environment brought a bit of a smile to my face first time I heard it.

As cancerous as the fan base for this series is, I can never really say any of these are bad games. You can tell Scott puts a lot of effort into his work, and while they certainly aren't perfect, they definitely deserve at least some of the praise given to them,

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
Just finished night 5. It's been enjoyable so far, definitely a step in the right direction. I hope Cawthon builds on this new style if he makes more.

Funnybone

Needs her password stapled to her forehead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have no idea why I bought the game (maybe because it was so damn cheap on launch day)
It's really just plain ol' autistic fun. I really feel like the characters and story are something tangible and not just furry retards speculating everything. It got boring looking at Wikis and shit to understand what was happening in the previous games

I actually dig the franchise now-- feels weird to say.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Watched Mark's vid on the secret ending.

And thus everything comes full circle. Pretty cool that the game's final challenge is essentially FNAF 1.

Also, the fact you can still munch on popcorn as Ennard crawls into the room is very humorous to me for some reason.

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
(major spoilers for Sister Location if you care about that)

Now that a lot of people have played the game through, a lot of info about this new set of animatronics is being discussed. And all of the implications are actually pretty fucking scary.
  • The game itself opens with a discussion between an employee (or a board member or something) of the company and Mr. Afton, the founder of the company and chief technician of the animatronics. The employee questions Afton over "certain design choices" in the animatronics, choices that the rest of the company "don't fully understand." Afton prattles on about how the robots can dance, sing, blow up balloons, etc. The employee then says "With all due respect, those aren't the design choices we were curious about, Mr. Afton." More on that later.
  • When Circus Baby is recounting the story about the time she killed a little girl, she mentions how she was always "acutely aware" of how many people were in the room with her at a time. When she notices that there is only one person, a little girl, in the room with her, she lures her closer with ice cream before yanking her inside of herself and crushing her to death. The minigame shows that a claw shot out from Baby's stomach and grabbed the little girl, pulling her into Baby's stomach. Why would an animatronic designed for parties have a huge claw like that? One of Mr. Afton's design choices?
  • Baby states that she doesn't understand why she killed the girl (and actually seems to be sad and remorseful about it), it was just something she acted out once she realized she had a child alone. In other words, it seems like she was simply acting on something she had been programmed to do.
  • After you finish Night 5 of Sister Location, you get access to the blueprints of the animatronics. And they reveal some pretty... suspicious things. Funtime Freddy has a "storage tank" in the shape of a small child inside of him; he also has features called "Proximity Sensor," "Parental Tracking," and "Voice Mimic/Luring". Funtime Foxy has features called "Parental Voice Sync and Replay" and "Variable Scent Release" (like, I dunno, chloroform?) Ballona has something called "Deter and Misdirect." I mean, if I worked for a company that leased animatronics out to children's parties, I would definitely be questioning these "design choices" just like that guy did.
  • And last but not least, "William Afton" was the true name of Purple Guy, aka the Murderer, in the FNAF novel. This game seems to confirm the name as canon.
So in other words, William Afton (aka Purple Guy) didn't build the animatronics to be entertainers, he built them to be abduction machines.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
Also explains why he never wanted his daughter near them. What I'm curious about is where in the timeline this takes place, and if Afton was already dead at this point.

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also explains why he never wanted his daughter near them. What I'm curious about is where in the timeline this takes place, and if Afton was already dead at this point.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that point! At several points in the game we hear Afton's daughter question her father on why she's never allowed near the animatronics even though he said he built them for her. It's then revealed that she snuck away from him when he wasn't looking and went to see Baby, leading to her being killed.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
(major spoilers for Sister Location if you care about that)

Now that a lot of people have played the game through, a lot of info about this new set of animatronics is being discussed. And all of the implications are actually pretty fucking scary.
  • The game itself opens with a discussion between an employee (or a board member or something) of the company and Mr. Afton, the founder of the company and chief technician of the animatronics. The employee questions Afton over "certain design choices" in the animatronics, choices that the rest of the company "don't fully understand." Afton prattles on about how the robots can dance, sing, blow up balloons, etc. The employee then says "With all due respect, those aren't the design choices we were curious about, Mr. Afton." More on that later.
  • When Circus Baby is recounting the story about the time she killed a little girl, she mentions how she was always "acutely aware" of how many people were in the room with her at a time. When she notices that there is only one person, a little girl, in the room with her, she lures her closer with ice cream before yanking her inside of herself and crushing her to death. The minigame shows that a claw shot out from Baby's stomach and grabbed the little girl, pulling her into Baby's stomach. Why would an animatronic designed for parties have a huge claw like that? One of Mr. Afton's design choices?
  • Baby states that she doesn't understand why she killed the girl (and actually seems to be sad and remorseful about it), it was just something she acted out once she realized she had a child alone. In other words, it seems like she was simply acting on something she had been programmed to do.
  • After you finish Night 5 of Sister Location, you get access to the blueprints of the animatronics. And they reveal some pretty... suspicious things. Funtime Freddy has a "storage tank" in the shape of a small child inside of him; he also has features called "Proximity Sensor," "Parental Tracking," and "Voice Mimic/Luring". Funtime Foxy has features called "Parental Voice Sync and Replay" and "Variable Scent Release" (like, I dunno, chloroform?) Ballona has something called "Deter and Misdirect." I mean, if I worked for a company that leased animatronics out to children's parties, I would definitely be questioning these "design choices" just like that guy did.
  • And last but not least, "William Afton" was the true name of Purple Guy, aka the Murderer, in the FNAF novel. This game seems to confirm the name as canon.
So in other words, William Afton (aka Purple Guy) didn't build the animatronics to be entertainers, he built them to be abduction machines.
Scott managed to make Purple Guy even more of an evil psycho. It's pretty damn impressive.

Halberd Sonichu

JUST FEELING SUPER!
kiwifarms.net
the question i have is did purple really think he could get away child abduction tech insides the bots? i mean it seems that even the higher up at circus baby were aware of it. it just what was his end game with this gig. it seems pretty easy for the pizzeria higher ups to pin the whole mess on him. Purple just seems like a guy the place hire to help expand their business. also what is the deal with bots wanting to leave so badly? odds are that they were sealed away after a dead child or two were found in them. but something tells him that Scott is setting up for something else. Guess the gravy train has a set course for a while.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
Thing is he did get away with it. Didn't get his comeuppance until years after the fact when one of his own suits that he built to kill people crushed him to death. Between that, the line of security guards willing to risk their lives for pocket change, the management who refuses to dismantle the killer animatronics, and the society that couldn't put a blatant murderer behind bars for life, I think the in-game universe is just one where the human race gained amazing technical aptitude at the cost of all of their common sense. Looking at it that way made the suspension of disbelief way easier for me.

Argonian Scum

Canine ask you a question?
kiwifarms.net
the question i have is did purple really think he could get away child abduction tech insides the bots? i mean it seems that even the higher up at circus baby were aware of it. it just what was his end game with this gig. it seems pretty easy for the pizzeria higher ups to pin the whole mess on him. Purple just seems like a guy the place hire to help expand their business. also what is the deal with bots wanting to leave so badly? odds are that they were sealed away after a dead child or two were found in them. but something tells him that Scott is setting up for something else. Guess the gravy train has a set course for a while.

The implication is that the electric shocks and 'scooping' were basically torture and forced imprisonment.

Cosmos

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
also what is the deal with bots wanting to leave so badly? odds are that they were sealed away after a dead child or two were found in them.
The implication is that the electric shocks and 'scooping' were basically torture and forced imprisonment.

Yeah, exactly. Unlike the previous animatronics, who were haunted by the spirits of dead children, these animatronics seem to be sentient, highly advanced AI. So the company was essentially torturing and enslaving intelligent and self-aware robots. The animatronics seem to genuinely love children and enjoy entertaining them, but the way the company treats them is what makes them desperate for escape.

Plus, there's also the fact that Afton (aka Purple Guy) was probably using them to abduct and kill children. Imagine being created to entertain and adore children, and then being forced to abduct and murder them against your will. We know for a fact Baby killed a little girl against her will and is still haunted by it.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
I kinda wonder if all the animatronics weren't sentient. Maybe some less than others, because going from the original four to the toy animatronics to the funtime ones there's a clear progression of technology, but the second game seemed to imply that the animatronics always behaved strangely, and as far as we know the toy ones didn't have any bodies in them.

The whole thing also makes me wonder about the protagonist in the fourth game, and the implications of him both living so close to the restaurant and there being an unassembled Funtime Foxy/Proto-Mangle in his house. I'm thinking Afton's daughter wasn't an only child.

Last edited by a moderator:

sea panther

stupid as
kiwifarms.net
I kinda wonder if all the animatronics weren't sentient. Maybe some less than others, because going from the original four to the toy animatronics to the funtime ones there's a clear progression of technology, but the second game seemed to imply that the animatronics always behaved strangely, and as far as we know the toy ones didn't have any bodies in them.
Well, in the second game, one of the messages the protagonist gets from phone guy goes, "Someone used one of the suits...now none of them are acting right." Those tapes are presumably from the summer before the protagonist started working there which explains why all the animatronics are already misbehaving.

TsumTsum

Adding to my collection of waifus.
kiwifarms.net
I was pleasantly surpised by Sister Location. Hate it or love it, you have to admit that Cawthon did a good job at reviving his series that was becoming stale.

Did the book ever explain WHY Afton/Purple Guy wanted to abduct and murder children so badly that he invented the most advanced (possibly) robots to date for that sole purpose?
It seems to be a very convoluted plan if he was just an everyday child murder rapist.