Science Flat-Earther to blast off in homemade, steam-powered rocket -

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
The only way he can please Trump is to steer the rocket to the Clinton's residence on its downward spiral back into Earth.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
I thought we were all in agreement the Earth is shaped as 🤡

Well godspeed to him and if he does discover the Earth is shaped like a frisbee I want to know whats on the underside.

Agree 100%. That's the basis for any scientific method and thinking: verify yourself.
no. it's real stupid to act skeptical about a subject so thoroughly explored, discussed in literature, and demonstrated in everyday tech like gps navigation. it's akin to rejecting all molecular science in favor of Plato's geometry of elements. putting centuries of knowledge in the trash without reason betrays a misunderstanding of the scientific method, not an embrace of it.

BlastDoors41

kiwifarms.net
I know the guy who invented the concrete for the Chernobyl sarcophagus. He was going to buy a magical device to test food for poisons, GMOs, polonium and alien tard cum, and asked my opinion.
Me: "Dude wtf it's trash."
Him: "But it says it's certified right here! It must be true! They wouldn't lie, would they?"
Me: "Dude, google the cert type ID, it's electrical safety certification, it says this thing won't zap you, which it won't because it's 12 V. And holy shit you can't do mass spectrometry with 12 V, dude are you for reals."
Him: "Very informative, thank you." *buys it anyway*

And that's a mild example, lots of physicists are absolute fucking nutters who don't wear tinfoil hats because they know tin isn't conductive and thick enough to protect from alien mind rays, it should be either copper foil or a tin bucket. Hard sciences are as full of nutters as Beyonce Studies. In my experience (I'm a particle physicist, and man the field is absolutely crawling with Orthodox born-agains) the only reasonably "hard" kook-resistant field is molecular biology: it touches so many disciplines that it doesn't allow for knowledge gaps for kookery to hide in. Otherwise, you've got to go outside and talk to people. If the field allows success without going outside and talking to people, it will accumulate kooks.

Go on.

I’m interested in hearing about this mainly because Neil’s degrasse Tyson showed his ass when he crapped all over doctors.
I figured then that there was some sort of ivory tower shit going on. I’ve also heard that physicists are especially insufferable because they genuinely believe that they are smart enough to do everyone’s job, including medical r n d.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
The dude was trying to launch his rockets long before supporting flat earth. I am pretty sure he discovered there was a ready market of credulous idiots to pay for his expensive hobby.
It probably says a lot about my state of mind that this information immediately disappointed me.

In my experience (I'm a particle physicist, and man the field is absolutely crawling with Orthodox born-agains) the only reasonably "hard" kook-resistant field is molecular biology: it touches so many disciplines that it doesn't allow for knowledge gaps for kookery to hide in. Otherwise, you've got to go outside and talk to people. If the field allows success without going outside and talking to people, it will accumulate kooks.
I suppose its nice to know my autistic interest in biology might be useful for something after all.

• Feels
Reactions: Pocket Dragoon

KingCoelacanth

kiwifarms.net
It's really sad that the man willing to jerry-rig rockets in his backyard and endanger himself like that is the smartest flat-earther. He might be dumb but I have mad respect for the guy.
Its not really rockets in the way that most people think.
Its just a big water rocket, the danger isn't it exploading, its the g-force he'll experience at launch and then landing safely.

SkeetNYeet

Forever Newfag
kiwifarms.net
Its just a big water rocket, the danger isn't it exploading, its the g-force he'll experience at launch and then landing safely.
I know, the danger I was talking about was the landing.
Hopefully he moves onto combustion soon though. Is thermodynamics science fiction or is it real?

Drycantelope

kiwifarms.net
Honestly I was prepared to laugh but he's pulled off some impressive stuff.

I hope he makes it to his insane 100km goal but he'll probably end up dead at some point.

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
kiwifarms.net
no. it's real stupid to act skeptical about a subject so thoroughly explored, discussed in literature, and demonstrated in everyday tech like gps navigation. it's akin to rejecting all molecular science in favor of Plato's geometry of elements. putting centuries of knowledge in the trash without reason betrays a misunderstanding of the scientific method, not an embrace of it.
You would say that, roundie!

• Feels
Reactions: frozenrunner

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
If that's the guy who I think it is he's been "threatening" to do this for years now but always had something or other come up why he can't do it at his set date. I wouldn't get too excited.

Well... steam boilers are known to build high pressures sometimes, so exploding isn't completely off the table.

It's funny, but like people point out here, just because someone should know better doesn't mean they do.

I know mechanical engineers who went to school and got a degree in mechanical engineering, which includes, among other things, the basic laws of thermodynamics.

These guys typically know how to do their job, so they get real life physics enough to apply them. And yet, who are the idiots constantly trying to build perpetual motion machines, which are in complete violation of those laws? The fucking mechanical engineers...

Cedric_Eff

I’m the Lord of the Harvest!
kiwifarms.net
Dude didn’t even add a launch escape system in case of his rocket exploding. This guy is dead set on seeing Space is he?

Reactions: Solomon

Owl Swallow Kiwi

kiwifarms.net
Rocket science uses calculations based on how the Earth's pull decreases with altitude because the Earth is a sphere. If nutjob's calculations are based on a more constant pull of gravity, because the Earth is flat, then shouldn't he gain higher altitude than expected? Just curious.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: keyboredsm4shthe2nd
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino