Law Florida governor suspends Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel - Top Jewcop GTFO over incompetence and negligence handling Stoneman and events leading to it

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-governor-suspends-broward-county-sheriff-scott-israel
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, who faced criticism over his department’s response to the deadly Parkland, Florida, school shooting last year, was officially suspended by new Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday.

"Sheriff Israel has repeatedly failed and has demonstrated a pattern of poor leadership," DeSantis said in a statement.

"He failed to protect Floridians and visitors during the tragic Fort Lauderdale International Airport shooting in 2017. He failed in his duties to keep our families and children safe during the devastating shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb.14, 2018," the statement read. "These incidents demonstrate Sheriff Israel’s repeated incompetence and neglect of duty. The families of the victims deserve accountability. It is my job as governor to ensure that the safety of our local communities, especially the safety of our children, is paramount. Government officials must be held accountable for their actions, and/or inactions.

"For these reasons, I am suspending Sheriff Israel from office effective immediately.”

DeSantis later tweeted that he was suspending Israel for "his repeated failures, incompetence and neglect of duty."

DeSantis formally announced the appointment of Gregory Tony as sheriff. Tony, a former Coral Springs Police sergeant, will be Broward County’s first African-American sheriff, according to a statement released by the governor.

“It is my intention to embark on this enormous task to restore the confidence of families and residents of Broward County toward the Broward Sherriff’s Office, which also requires that I fix the problems that exist," Tony said.

Seventeen people were killed in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. The suspect was identified as Nikolas Cruz.

Calls for Israel to resign came shortly after the deadly shooting unfolded and in April, the Broward Sheriff's Office Deputies Association voted "no confidence" in him. The association cited the national criticism surrounding Israel and his office following the shooting.

Minutes after DeSantis' announcement, Israel said he would fight the suspension.

"There was no wrongdoing on my part. I served the county honorably," he said. "False narratives," Israel claimed, are continuing "but not in a court of law. In a court of law, only the facts matter."

Israel said he "wholeheartedly" rejected the governor's order and would fight it in court, arguing that DeSantis was making a "power grab" against the will of the county's people who elected him.

Under Florida law, the governor can suspend elected officials for criminal activity, misfeasance, incompetence or neglect of duty. Israel's lawyer, Stuart Kaplan, said this week the sheriff did nothing warranting removal and his future should be left to Broward voters in the 2020 election.

Israel had been sheriff six years.

KiwiLedian

One annoyed ladybug
kiwifarms.net
Shocked this didn't happen sooner but it is about damn time. It's definitely partly his fault that Parkland happened, especially the call to stand down and not have the cops enter.
Worse was the policy of him and the county school board making it appear as if nothing were wrong in their schools crime-wise for sweet sweet state bucks and that played a role in how Cruz was affected big time.

Keystone

kiwifarms.net
Should've happened a year ago, namely when he started shitting on gun owners and everyone but himself for the piss poor response to the shooting. Fuck this guy, I hope he gets ostracized from wherever he retires to. I mean he shouldn't get a pension at all after all this bullshit, but still.

• Agree
Reactions: greengrilledcheese

Millhouse Nancy Metz

*tips fedora euphorically*
kiwifarms.net
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino