Food Stamp (SNAP) Revocations - Sombody's gotta feed my five kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somsnosa

Look at me! I'm the pope now
kiwifarms.net
dunno if anyone pointed it out already, but the "overly liberal" EU already does this.

they give these long conservation, no label and not sellable packaged food to those in the poorest section of society. It's essential things like m.ilk, beans, cookies for little children, meat in cans and rice. My aunt receives and uses these. They don't taste that great but in such situations you're just glad to have food in your plate

Lysol

99.9% Bacteria and virus free.
kiwifarms.net
This whiny bitch right here. It's better than having nothing and starving.
Fucking exactly my point.

So do we actually know what's going in the boxes or is this argument just autism with both sides assuming the worst/best for their own political benefit? If the food baskets are good, generic staples like soup stock, rice, eggs, this system could work well. If the box is "lol one piece of bread" it's fucking dumb. Pretty simple.
This is basically what I'm hoping it is, though as I said earlier in the thread I'd rather have it cut down to be like WIC benefits.

Goalpost shifting engaged!
Maybe you should actually read the articles you're citing to defend your bullshit arguments next time?
I'm shifting a goalpost I never originally made? God damn I'm more talented than I thought!

I would hardly call "they didn't buy the food I want them to buy" abuse of the system. SNAP is to buy food. If they're buying food, it's not abuse, regardless of the quality of food they're buying.
Is it not though, when the system was originally intended to only give the bare essentials necessary for someone to survive?

dunno if anyone pointed it out already, but the "overly liberal" EU already does this.
they give these no label not sellable packaged food to those in the poorest section of society. It's essential things like m.ilk, beans, cookies for little children, meat in cans and rice. My aunt receives and uses these. They don't taste that great but in such situations you're just glad to have food in your plate
And yet again the U.K. outdoes the U.S. with it's social programs.

JaneThough

Part of your world
kiwifarms.net
Silly Jane, you know that people who've never set a single foot in a poor neighborhood let alone knew anybody from one intimately know what's best for them!
Go ahead and walk into a poor neighborhood and tell them you don't want them buying their shitty 711 pizza or twinkies anymore. I am sure they'll appreciate your expertise on their lives.

Oscar Wildean

Bitchiest motherfucker in town.
kiwifarms.net
So do we actually know what's going in the boxes or is this argument just autism with both sides assuming the worst/best for their own political benefit? If the food baskets are good, generic staples like soup stock, rice, eggs, this system could work well. If the box is "lol one piece of bread" it's fucking dumb. Pretty simple.
That's what I was trying to say. If they kept it simple, I could see it working.
Why are people acting like poor people don't know that food pantries exist though. Poor people who don't whine on Twitter at least know tricks to get food.

• Winner
Reactions: Vorhtbame and Lysol

Lysol

kiwifarms.net
The system is to give them money to buy food. You can't invent your own ideals about the system, then get angry when people use it as it was designed.
It's called "food stamps" because it used to literally be, stamps for food. It wasn't just giving the poor currency, it was pretty specific about what the hell you could actually get with them, because it wasn't supposed to be indefinite life support.

JaneThough

Part of your world
kiwifarms.net
It's called "food stamps" because it used to literally be, stamps for food. It wasn't just giving the poor currency, it was pretty specific about what the hell you could actually get with them, because it wasn't supposed to be indefinite life support.
And suddenly pizza is not food?

What was it that I said that wasn't that it's money for food?

Oscar Wildean

kiwifarms.net
TBH there are ways to survive being poor without food stamps. If you have some skills even being poor, you can at least do chores and odd jobs for money to get food, without having to rely on food stamps to survive.
I kind of wish the government or places would teach this to low income people because if you're at least good at hustling, you don't really need food stamps.
:powerlevel:For months when my family was out of work, we did odd jobs on Craigslist just to buy food.

JaneThough

Part of your world
kiwifarms.net
Pizza is a bare necessity for survival? Holy shit I think you're onto something!
I'm going to make this real simple for you, then I'm done.

Food stamps = money for food
Pizza = food
Therefor, food stamps may buy pizza. Because, as they are intended to buy food, and pizza is a food, their use is valid and not abuse.

Your opinions on what poor people can and cannot eat have zero to do with this.

NeverHappened

That's the sound of books
kiwifarms.net
TBH there are ways to survive being poor without food stamps. If you have some skills even being poor, you can at least do chores and odd jobs for money to get food, without having to rely on food stamps to survive.
I kind of wish the government or places would teach this to low income people because if you're at least good at hustling, you don't really need food stamps.
:powerlevel:For months when my family was out of work, we did odd jobs on Craigslist just to buy food.
A lot of poor people tend to be very bad at problem solving. I wasn't exaggerating when I said that there are poor people that don't know what they do with a bag of rice. You have to teach them. You have to force them to learn. They won't google that shit.

Lysol

kiwifarms.net

Pizza = food
Therefor, food stamps may buy pizza. Because, as they are intended to buy food, and pizza is a food, their use is valid and not abuse.

So the fact that the entire system was derived as a way for families/people to simply get the bare necessities for life, so that they would still have the motivation to improve their lot in life, has nothing to do with my issue with this system?

Also, the amount of people on EBT who are only on it because they can get luxury food items and not have to work for them is a growing problem.

Oscar Wildean

kiwifarms.net
A lot of poor people tend to be very bad at problem solving. I wasn't exaggerating when I said that they are poor people that don't know what they do with a bag of rice. You have to teach them. You have to force them to learn. They won't google that shit.
Yeah, I'm aware. That's why I was saying it's too bad that more of this can't be done. You have to know how to survive on the street basically. It's too bad, honestly.

Mr. Professional

kiwifarms.net

Pizza = food

Actually food stamps typically cannot be used to buy prepared/cooked food. Also see the previous post about Papa Murphys.

Oglooger

God isn't dead!BUT I'LL GET THAT BASTARD SOME DAY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
don't want to eat shit prepackaged food?
Get a job?
are you a child that needs an education, we have a thing called scholarships.
we also have soup kitchens, hunger drives, church and family members to help you get back on your feet.
if you relied on the government to survive, that makes you nothing but a parasite.

Pizza = food

pizza is a luxury good given as a service. it's not basic in giving nutrients to survive and find work, therefore food stamps shouldn't buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino