Food that Americans never ate -

The Monkey

kiwifarms.net
Smarties are in America. I've eaten those since I was a child.

Yakisoba Ramen is in America.

Cadbury chocolates are in America. I've eaten those since I was a child as well.

Yeah, Haggis is not available in America. Some sheep meats in Haggis are banned, I believe. That shit looks vile, so I'm sure nobody would care even if it was available.

Caviar from the sturgeon fish is available in America (at a marked up price). Nobody cares for it.

There's stigma against Horse Meat in America for whatever stupid reason, and It was banned until 2011. Some states have their own laws when it comes to horse meat. As somebody who's actually tasted it, I'll tell you that in jerky form it's alright.

Kinder Suprise Eggs in the Euro 'plastic capsule in chocolate' form is illegal in America, however they have a version that has the same chocolates and toy, but in their own containers. It's very common in American supermarkets.

ProfLayton45

Professor Layton never got another movie
kiwifarms.net
Smarties are in America. I've eaten those since I was a child.

Yakisoba Ramen is in America.

Cadbury chocolates are in America. I've eaten those since I was a child as well.

Yeah, Haggis is not available in America. Some sheep meats in Haggis are banned, I believe. That shit looks vile, so I'm sure nobody would care even if it was available.

Caviar from the sturgeon fish is available in America (at a marked up price). Nobody cares for it.

There's stigma against Horse Meat in America for whatever stupid reason, and It was banned until 2011. Some states have their own laws when it comes to horse meat. As somebody who's actually tasted it, I'll tell you that in jerky form it's alright.

Kinder Suprise Eggs in the Euro 'plastic capsule in chocolate' form is illegal in America, however they have a version that has the same chocolates and toy, but in their own containers. It's very common in American supermarkets.
Yeah, I'm talking about Nestle Smarties: the M&Ms and they are usually sold in Canada which is a part of the North American contenent

ThinkThankThunk

No longer huffing gamer girl farts due to COVID-19
kiwifarms.net
I actually had to import a few packs of yakisoba and udon noodles because I wanted to try it and couldn't find any dried packs in the nice Asian stores I frequent. If you're interested they're about ten bucks a bag on Amazon. I suppose I could have checked out the hole in the wall places but I'm not brave enough to stop by in the middle of a Chinese pandemic. All I found were the shitty Mr. Noodle-tier stuff but I don't like my pasta tasting like cardboard.

They aren't impossible to find but I really wish pork buns were more common. I remember one of my classmates years ago bringing a premade frozen one in for lunch one day and I've spent the years since trying to find a place that serves them fresh. I recently bought a steamer just to make them myself but I'd really like to taste one made by someone who actually knows their ass from their head in a kitchen.

MakeItRain

taste the waste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've spotted marmite in a few grocery stores over the years but vegemite remains a legend.

Niggernerd

Hol up *siiiiiiiiip* nigga
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We have Kinder Suprise Eggs again lol
Theres a private owned europoor store nearby me that sells em, also seen them at 7-11

CWCchange

Ɔʍɔɔɥɐuƃǝ
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure kinder surprise eggs are illegal in the US because of some issue with the toy inside.
IIRC, it has been legal since 2017 (thanks Trump!). The ones with melted chocolate shit and a separate compartment with the toy suck eggs.

Salt_Merchant

Sodium Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
kinder-surprise-eggs-qty-24.png

for those playing at home hes refering to these

they are banned because the FDA makes any food composed of both edible and inedible parts illegal as it is a choking hazzard

Kinder joys are a new product that contains two seperate compartments to keep the little toy seperate from the nougart, they arent the same as kinder surprise.

We have the im Australia, they are great.

As an australian im jealous of The united States vast varieties of random soft drinks, Different flavours of coke, pepsi, mountain dew fanta etc

We really only get a select few down here.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Foods that Americans never ate and never will? I present such vile abominations as Casu Marzu, boiled duck fetus, etc. https://www.culinaryschools.org/cuisine/10-disgusting-delicacies/
Some places near me have the boiled duck fetus. It's not bad.
Vegemite is extremely hard to find.
When I was in London I found camel milk at a convenience store. I've literally never seen that in America.
Raw milk is illegal but some hippie types will jump through hoops to get it.
Fugu is available in Seattle and I think New York, but obviously most people would never eat it. Casu marzu is illegal as well as real haggis which is too bad because I'd love to try them sometime. I have never seen hakarl or surstromming, though I think surstromming exists somewhere, I just can't find it.
Natto is really hard to find; and what about real wasabi? Many Americans don't know the wasabi paste they eat is not real wasabi. Wasabi is actually grown in my state and yet I still don't see it very often.

Most stuff I've seen abroad but not in the US are random snack foods and candy like all the different Cadbury brand stuff, weird Nestle stuff, Japanese Kit Kats etc. I don't feel like we are missing out, we have enough junk food.

Last edited:

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
Tell me more about this wasabi. That sounds interesting.
Wasabi and horseradish are entirely different plants (although related). Wasabi tends to be more expensive, and begins losing flavor relatively quickly once it's processed, so horseradish root is commonly used as a substitute. Americans generally don't know the difference, but the green "wasabi" paste that you get with Chinese food is made out of horseradish and mustard with green food coloring added to give it the characteristic wasabi color. Real wasabi paste is made by grating the root and stem of the wasabi plant and its green color comes from the chlorophyll in the plant.

Orion Balls

A well placed trap.
kiwifarms.net
How about real deal absinthe with the wormwood oil in it? Used to be legal back in ye olden days and recently it's been legalized but without the hallucinogenic effects.
Honestly, it's the high levels of alcohol that cause the hallucinations more than the thujone.

*Edit*- So no Doublepost,
Raw tard cum is illegal but some hippie types will jump through hoops to get it.
It's illegal to sell, and makes little sense to not pasturize it at home, because it only takes an hour, but no one is going to stop you from drinking your own raw milk that your own animals produce.

Last edited:

moseph.jartelli

Thank U for Cocktail Pep.
kiwifarms.net
Real cheese, American "cheese" is disgusting and shouldn't even be allowed to be called cheese, it's the laughing stock of Europe and probably the rest of the world too.

View attachment 1162145

Can any Americans confirm if people seriously eat this shit over there?
Yes this and Kraft Singles are the only cheese produced in the U.S.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
You can buy haggis, just not imported haggis.

Has anyone in America bought and eaten pork faggots here? Seems extremely British.

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
Miso. I guarantee that no American outside of Japanese American households eats it but only at Japanese restaurants in plain miso soup form.

Letthepowerofgoutcompelyo

The unbearable lightness of being
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The w
You can buy haggis, just not imported haggis.

Has anyone in America bought and eaten pork faggots here? Seems extremely British.
The weatherman where I grew up liked to pork faggots in that one park where there was a lot of nude hopscotch going on. It really didn't become public until after he died but we all knew.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: TaimuRadiu

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
Yes this and Kraft Singles are the only cheese produced in the U.S.
I'm assuming it sells well too over there too? Tragic. I met this American guy that had never heard of parmigiano-reggiano cheese and halloumi cheese was, they're missing out on the good stuff.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Coleman Francis

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
Miso. I guarantee that no American outside of Japanese American households eats it but only at Japanese restaurants in plain miso soup form.
I have a tub of miso paste in my fridge right now. You can buy it in many grocery stores around here.

We just call them meatballs.

Real cheese, American "cheese" is disgusting and shouldn't even be allowed to be called cheese, it's the laughing stock of Europe and probably the rest of the world too.
I'm assuming it sells well too over there too? Tragic. I met this American guy that had never heard of parmigiano-reggiano cheese and halloumi cheese was, they're missing out on the good stuff.
Ah yes. The enlightened European, so familiar with America and the multitude of ways we suck.

You can buy parmigiano-reggiano in literally any grocery store. It's common as shit. It's not even in the import counters, it's just in with the other cheese usually. Halloumi is less so, but there are countless styles of cheese. The grocery store I go to has three counters of cheese. Three. One of common domestic cheeses, one of slightly more upscale but still pre-packaged stuff, and an "off the block" counter. Now not every grocery store is going to have the "off the block" counter, but most of them are going to have an imports-and-exotics counter.

If you you think "American cheese" the product is in any way representative of American cheese as a whole... Some American cheese is fucking fantastic. Or go on. Keep deluding yourself. We also can't make bread, wine, or beer either, right?

"American cheese" the product *does* have it's uses, though. It makes a wonderful base to build on when you're making a cheese sauce - it melts wonderfully. It shouldn't be the only cheese you use, but it's a great starting point. It's also good on a burger. It provides a cheeseyness without overpowering anything else.

Last edited:
Tags
None