Food you can get easy in your country and nowhere else - Gastric nationalism thread

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What are some examples of readily available food in your country? And by readily available I mean you could walk into a convenience store and grab it or its usually in the pantry somewhere and every grocery store has it.

As an example, here in America we have something called a "Cinnamon Roll". Basically a sweet bread with a layer of Cinnamon and Brown Sugar, usually topped with icing or cream cheese frosting. You can find it in highbrow bakeries to a shelf stable for years packet at 711. Pizza Hut also delivers them. I have never seen it outside of America. Even Canada seems to ignore this thing.

1590606062408.png

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bro we have cinnamon rolls in Canada. What you talking about?

So you can sell them to visiting Americans :pinetar:

Guess I need to clarify. You can probably find anything if you looked for it. I can probably go get some Swedish lutevisk if I wanted too. But I'm not going to walk down into the local grocery and necessarily find it, unless its hiding on a back shelf somewhere randomly. What is something ridiculously common in your country that is not elsewhere.

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apparently, canned meat is not only something that some countries don't have, but are actually horrified by. Same goes for refrigerated biscuit dough, but in that case, they're just more confused by its existence.

On that note, biscuits, and gravy. This is one dish that is purely American and good luck finding it anywhere outside of the States. This is mostly because the biscuits and gravy used for it are much different from the kind of biscuits and gravy other countries are familiar with.

Last edited:

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

A Creepy Marionette
kiwifarms.net
I’m not too sure about the rest of the world, but in my state we have Chili Season. What it is is Hatch grows a fuckton of green and red peppers of various hotness and they all get fire roasted in parking lots. So what we’re left with is massive amounts of fresh, roasted peppers with both great flavor and some nice kick that we put in and on everything. Burritos, soup, burgers, pizza, chocolate, ice cream, wine, anything we can.
You can get it canned in other places, but it’s not the same. It’s a very unique flavor.

DubbleBubble

kiwifarms.net
On that note, biscuits, and gravy. This is one dish that is purely American and good luck finding it anywhere outside of the States. This is mostly because the gravy used for it is much different from the kind of gravy other countries are familiar with.

Nigga, even KFC here in Germany has Biscuits n Gravy, globalism and whatnot. Pretty much any American international chain is going to import all the garbage you want.

But I dunno, I'll take my shitty vending machine hotdogs. Goddamn BiFi Rolls are terrible but sometimes you dont even want to go into a convenience store for low quality junk.

41EgSm65CHL.jpg

Army Burger

RIP John Lewis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So you can sell them to visiting Americans :pinetar:

Guess I need to clarify. You can probably find anything if you looked for it. I can probably go get some Swedish lutevisk if I wanted too. But I'm not going to walk down into the local grocery and necessarily find it, unless its hiding on a back shelf somewhere randomly. What is something ridiculously common in your country that is not elsewhere.
I'm not sure where in Canada you've been, but I can find cinnamon rolls in practically any grocery store in any place I've ever been too, regardless of the size of said community.

Zodiac

the world's poor pessimist
kiwifarms.net
I'm not much of a sweets person, but I really do love Walkers shortbread Scottie dog cookies with my coffee.
I have a friend in the Ukraine and one in Austria who had never heard of them, and when I sent them a box for their birthdays they were quite taken with them. More bodies for the scottie dog cookie cult.

doggyboofboff.jpg

murgatroid

kiwifarms.net
I had a friend who used to have this amazing chocolate mix drink from Venezuela he let me try called Toddy. (Not hot toddy). I searched for it for years but I could only find a picture and that it wasn't available.

Looks like a plastic jarred version is now available on amazon! Thank you OP for reminding me of this.

89d00e28692a181b02c67a4fe224e51b.jpg

Edit: Most of the amazon reviews are from Venezuelans saying how much they miss Toddy and happy they are finally able to get it in the USA. lol. I highly recommend trying it!

Last edited: